I would try these tests, if I could get Link to work with any of my phones! Connects, but won't backup with or without BBID.

I haven't used Link for a while so deleted a year or two ago. Reinstalled over Win 10, which seems to be inconsistent for various users.

BB Website help indicates that a BBID is required for Link backup and restore to work.

https://help.blackberry.com/en/black...214878418.html
    LINK stopped working for me two years ago.... I tried it after the big Spring Windows Update and it's working again....

But yes I think a BBID is required.... So I think anyone doing an "reinstall" after 1/02/2020 is going to be without their Apps and Data. So not a perfect situation, but it is better than a brick.

Proable fine for those that are dual carrying and just want a "communicator". Those wanting a "modern" smartphone, won't be very excited with the experience offered on BB10 device at that point.
    08-20-18 02:03 PM
    LINK stopped working for me two years ago.... I tried it after the big Spring Windows Update and it's working again....

But yes I think a BBID is required.... So I think anyone doing an "reinstall" after 1/02/2020 is going to be without their Apps and Data. So not a perfect situation, but it is better than a brick.

Proable fine for those that are dual carrying and just want a "communicator". Those wanting a "modern" smartphone, won't be very excited with the experience offered on BB10 device at that point.
    It might be possible to register the device with a BlackBerry ID on Link (with BlackBerry Protect turned off) prior to 1/1/2019, then restore from Link with the apps available. If someone wants to test that's fine. I WILL be testing all of this late next year but won't waste my time on it with so much time left as any number of variables might change by the time I actually need a procedure.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-20-18 02:59 PM

I finally got Link working on my old Win 7 PC. I can verify that Link does need a BBID on the device, to perform a backup.
    08-20-18 03:18 PM
    It might be possible to register the device with a BlackBerry ID on Link (with BlackBerry Protect turned off) prior to 1/1/2019, then restore from Link with the apps available. If someone wants to test that's fine. I WILL be testing all of this late next year but won't waste my time on it with so much time left as any number of variables might change by the time I actually need a procedure.

As far as I can see... LINK wants to match a BBID for security reasons. It reads the ID in the Backup and that has to match the ID on the phone.

I one time tried to change my BBID and do a restore from a backup made using a different BBID.. it wouldn't work. And LINK won't even connect to my phone without a BBID on it.

But yeah... late next year we might know more.
    08-20-18 03:23 PM
    As far as I can see... LINK wants to match a BBID for security reasons. It reads the ID in the Backup and that has to match the ID on the phone.

I one time tried to change my BBID and do a restore from a backup made using a different BBID.. it wouldn't work. And LINK won't even connect to my phone without a BBID on it.

But yeah... late next year we might know more.
    Excuse me for not knowing, but I have only ever set up BB10 four times across three phones in five and a half years. Is it possible to enter a BBID locally on the phone (with BlackBerry Protect turned off) without connecting to the remote BlackBerry servers?

08-20-18 03:28 PM
    Excuse me for not knowing, but I have only ever set up BB10 four times across three phones in five and a half years. Is it possible to enter a BBID locally on the phone (with BlackBerry Protect turned off) without connecting to the remote BlackBerry servers?

Pretty sure that's part of the validation process....

You should be find if you skip a BBID, but you want to use one there will need to be a BBID Service there to confirm your data matches. I don't think a no answer would be very secure...

But again, we don't know for sure if the BBID Server is going away... probable a good chance they end all funding. But that's a worry for next year.
    08-20-18 03:37 PM
    Pretty sure that's part of the validation process....

You should be find if you skip a BBID, but you want to use one there will need to be a BBID Service there to confirm your data matches. I don't think a no answer would be very secure...

But again, we don't know for sure if the BBID Server is going away... probable a good chance they end all funding. But that's a worry for next year.
    Obviously one can't validate a BBID without the server to do it. My question is whether an already validated phone can be restored using Link without re-validating the BBID.

That would make retrieving apps after using an autoloader impossible, but it might allow a full restore using Link.

08-20-18 03:41 PM
    Obviously one can't validate a BBID without the server to do it. My question is whether an already validated phone can be restored using Link without re-validating the BBID.

That would make retrieving apps after using an autoloader impossible, but it might allow a full restore using Link.

It cannot. At least I don't think so.

Link backups would be useless if BBID goes down.

To confirm, try to log into BlackBerry Link with no Internet connection.
    08-20-18 03:42 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering. I will confirm later, but, assuming you're correct (and I assume you are) that would pretty much rule out recovering BlackBerry apps following a restore of the OS by any measure without the BBID validation servers.

So, ironically, BB10 users who want apps after a restore after 1/1/2020 might need to rely on APKs!

08-20-18 03:47 PM
    it's a lot of work but I care all of my bb10 phones. every phone has the same apps and the same structure. every week I make updates. that works
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-20-18 03:57 PM
    it's a lot of work but I care all of my bb10 phones. every phone has the same apps and the same structure. every week I make updates. that works
    That's now. Nobody knows if that will be possible after December 2019.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    08-20-18 06:35 PM
    Maybe.

If the BBID infrastructure for BB10 is wound up, you won't be able to reset your device.
    With respect, this is simply not true (for devices that do not have BB Protect enabled at least). I have successfully reset devices and skipped the BBID sign-in and then used every feature that does not require a BBID.

But hey, conite's admitted he's a bot, so....
    08-20-18 08:41 PM

Lest anyone say I never give conite props when he's right, on this one....he's right.

High on the list of end user efforts to keep using BB10 should be a way to backup and restore, if indeed such a method is possible. I'd assume Sachesi also needs to call out to BBID verification servers, but it would be good to test it and DBBT to confirm.
    08-20-18 08:44 PM
    With respect, this is simply not true (for devices that do not have BB Protect enabled at least). I have successfully reset devices and skipped the BBID sign-in and then used every feature that does not require a BBID.

I actually did mention it should work if one disables Protect before the EOL date.
    08-20-18 09:26 PM

I thought he was John Chen....
    08-20-18 09:28 PM
    I thought he was John Chen....
    I think he actually is Chen but is trying to hide behind the identity of a bot, hence his confession earlier in the thread. That Chen is a devious *******...
    08-21-18 03:17 AM
    It will appear a Screenshot with Chen laughing and then appearing the phrase: you have been Chenned!! Thabnk you for your money!! Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    Nonsense! Chen has given us a hint that he desires a simple email phone and he is working hard to give us one. That day BB10 will become pure experience with just phonecalls, sms and email. Once again Chen will deliver.
    08-21-18 03:36 AM
    Nonsense! Chen has given us a hint that he desires a simple email phone and he is working hard to give us one. That day BB10 will become pure experience with just phonecalls, sms and email. Once again Chen will deliver.
    When did he ever say he was working on anything of the sort?
    08-21-18 07:22 AM
    When did he ever say he was working on anything of the sort?
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.... but then you never know.

Conite isn't Chen... because Chen doesn't care about Hardware or even the licensing of BlackBerry at this point. Two of the three licensees haven't really done anything "yet" and BBMo has failed to accomplish their goal of enterprise and has fallen back to the PKB gimmick supplier only. Which is a long shot at best....

Sadly at this point BlackBerry Radar is probable more on his mind than smartphones....
    08-21-18 08:00 AM
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.... but then you never know.

Conite isn't Chen... because Chen doesn't care about Hardware or even the licensing of BlackBerry at this point. Two of the three licensees haven't really done anything "yet" and BBMo has failed to accomplish their goal of enterprise and has fallen back to the PKB gimmick supplier only. Which is a long shot at best....

Sadly at this point BlackBerry Radar is probable more on his mind than smartphones....
    Maybe Dunt is Chen....
    08-21-18 08:15 AM
    Maybe Dunt is Chen....
    If I were Chen... I'd be taking advantage of my position on Disney's Board.
    08-21-18 08:20 AM
    I have to confess, DuntChen, if you were responsible for the Fox sale going through and the X-Men and FF coming home to the MCU, I'd almost be inclined to forgive you for what you've done to BB10....almost.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-21-18 03:52 PM
  23. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    if you will be

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    08-22-18 11:06 PM
    I would try these tests, if I could get Link to work with any of my phones! Connects, but won't backup with or without BBID.

I haven't used Link for a while so deleted a year or two ago. Reinstalled over Win 10, which seems to be inconsistent for various users.

BB Website help indicates that a BBID is required for Link backup and restore to work.

https://help.blackberry.com/en/black...214878418.html
    I think this has been confirmed. The only outstanding question I can think of is whether it's possible to restore a BB10 phone that has a BBID associated with it, but that does not have BlackBerry Protect enabled without re-validating the BBID on the BlackBerry servers.

If that were possible, one could do the following:

1) Start with a BB10 phone with a validated BBID.

2) Confirm that BlackBerry Protect is turned off.

3) Factory reset the device (or use an autoloader)

4) Re-enter the BBID (without connecting to the BB servers)

I don't think the above is possible, and if that's the case, it will not be possible to setup a BB10 phone and recover apps after 1/1/20
    08-23-18 05:31 PM
    Tonight I was able to connect my previously configured BB10 phone to BlackBerry Link with no network connection to my PC and with the radios off on my phone. I only had to enter the device PIN to validate it.

I will try a backup and restore with this configuration in the coming weeks, but I first want to clean up my files and folders to make sure I don't add needless complexity to the test.
    08-23-18 11:40 PM
178 ... 45678