yes, If they want, why not. they want it stay alive

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    Think he's saying it will be just another New Years day.....
    08-15-18 09:39 AM
    There's a Chrome browser extension called BB10/Playbook App Manager that can make a copy of bar files that are on your device and also install bar files to it from your computer. It's designed to work via WiFi or USB. I use the latter, and it works well. I assume this will be part of the coping strategy once the BlackBerry World server shuts down. If there's any app you have the slightest interest in, you'd better have that bar file before the shutdown.
    It does NOT make a copy of bar files that are on the device.
    08-15-18 12:54 PM
    I would suggest, the phone will work but no more updates, apps ect..
    08-15-18 01:04 PM
    BB10......

pdr733 and Mecca EL like this.
    08-15-18 01:39 PM
    I already told you. You have to make a selective backup with Link.
    AHHH -.- sorry . . . haha thx
    That's assuming you have Link working.

But, just a reminder, you can't extract apps from a Link backup, but they can be selectively restored, so keep a full backup handy and don't lose it for as long as you think you'll need it.
    08-15-18 03:29 PM
    That's assuming you have Link working.

But, just a reminder, you can't extract apps from a Link backup, but they can be selectively restored, so keep a full backup handy and don't lose it for as long as you think you'll need it.
    And hope LINK works when you do decide to use it.... never know when a Windows update is going to fix or break LINK. Didn't work for me for over a year, but now it does. Next big Windows update will probable kill it again..
    08-15-18 03:54 PM
    I've used a simple PKB phone for the last 4 years without much issue. But I'm not a business professional. Still I think the best course of action for BB LTD to do with BB10 Phones is turn them into simple albeit basic qwerty phones. Limited apps that will only get older and after a while finally break. But at least the phone's will not be "bricked". You can use them for maybe 2 more years (mileage may vary depending on your phone), but that's all.

I would almost expect a final update right before the EOL date. Where it prepares the phones for transition to basic phone status. Then when the EOL comes (and it will come) the phone gracefully declines to a basic phone with PKB. No stress.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-15-18 05:09 PM
    I've used a simple PKB phone for the last 4 years without much issue. But I'm not a business professional. Still I think the best course of action for BB LTD to do with BB10 Phones is turn them into simple albeit basic qwerty phones. Limited apps that will only get older and after a while finally break. But at least the phone's will not be "bricked". You can use them for maybe 2 more years (mileage may vary depending on your phone), but that's all.

I would almost expect a final update right before the EOL date. Where it prepares the phones for transition to basic phone status. Then when the EOL comes (and it will come) the phone gracefully declines to a basic phone with PKB. No stress.

Posted via CB10
    Even that kind of update takes development resources. Not worth it for the few thousand that might still be messing around with BB10 at that time - and who are consequently still not providing ANY revenue to BlackBerry.
    08-15-18 05:19 PM
    Even that kind of update takes development resources. Not worth it for the few thousand that might still be messing around with BB10 at that time - and who are consequently still not providing ANY revenue to BlackBerry.
    WHAT COST?!? How is it so hard to set the default apps for basic phone use (which probably already exist). How hard is it to use the existing QNX code to make this happen? Shut off BBW, and remove the app stores from the phones, as well as the Voice Assistant, and other apps which make it a smartphone.

That shouldn't cost a thing. It's a big minus.
    08-15-18 05:35 PM
    WHAT COST?!? How is it so hard to set the default apps for basic phone use (which probably already exist). How hard is it to use the existing QNX code to make this happen? Shut off BBW, and remove the app stores from the phones, as well as the Voice Assistant, and other apps which make it a smartphone.

That shouldn't cost a thing. It's a big minus.
    Shutting down the services are required as licences with other vendors expire. This is done by network administrators.

BB10 development requires a team that no longer exists, and infrastructure and development tools that are gone.

It took 6 months to patch Krack (just a few lines of code). Reworking BB10 to remove all the service hooks, removing apps and plugging the holes, and modifying all of the settings and admin apps, is orders of magnitude more difficult.
    08-15-18 05:45 PM
    Shutting down the services are required as licences with other vendors expire. This is done by network administrators.

BB10 development requires a team that no longer exists, and infrastructure and development tools that are gone.

It took 6 months to patch Krack (just a few lines of code). Reworking BB10 to remove all the service hooks, removing apps and plugging the holes, and modifying all of the settings and admin apps, is orders of magnitude more difficult.
    I'm sorry but I call it as I see it, and that is a bunch BS! A few lines of code costing so much?! Unheard of & stupid. You make it sound like the devs at BB LTD are as inefficient as the federal government! I must say: How dare you, sir!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 06:03 PM
    I'm sorry but I call it as I see it, and that is a bunch BS! A few lines of code costing so much?! Unheard of & stupid. You make it sound like the devs at BB LTD are as inefficient as the federal government! I must say: How dare you, sir!

Posted via CB10
    The ARE NO BB10 developers at BlackBerry. They are ALL GONE (save for a couple), and have been for 2-3 years.

And, as I mentioned, just a few lines of code took 6 MONTHS to do before the patch for Krack finally came.

This job would be FAR more complicated and involved.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-15-18 06:05 PM
    The ARE NO BB10 developers at BlackBerry. They are ALL GONE, and have been for 2-3 years.

And, as I mentioned, just a few lines of code took 6 MONTHS to do when the patch for Krack finally came.
    To let go of EVERYBODY _BEFORE_ Final EOL Date is completely stupid. Are you 100% sure of this? If this is true, it makes BB LTD look completely incompetent.
    08-15-18 06:10 PM
    To let go of EVERYBODY _BEFORE_ Final EOL Date is completely stupid. Are you 100% sure of this? If this is true, it makes BB LTD look completely incompetent.
    Yes I'm sure. It's well known.

The OS hasn't really been touched for 3 years. What would have had them do?

Of course there are plenty of developers working on UEM, imbedded systems, Android, etc.
    08-15-18 06:11 PM
    Surely they learned from how much trouble the Krack patch cost them?! Surely they can learn from past mistakes!
    08-15-18 06:12 PM
    Surely they learned from how much trouble the Krack patch cost them?! Surely they can learn from past mistakes!
    By doing what? Hiring a new team, training them, and having them sit in a corner and pick their noses? With zero offsetting revenue?

You're talking about a few hundred, or a few thousand people on BB10 by the end of 2019 who are not even revenue generating customers.

What's the business plan to pitch to the investors?
    08-15-18 06:16 PM
    Well a skeleton crew on retainer, maybe. At least something. What if between now and then something else needs PLUGGED? What if some other software needs patching? The EOL is at the END OF 2019! Not 3 years ago!!

I'm going to say it: GOOBERS!! Stupid GOOBERS!
    This is me losing faith in BB LTD.
    08-15-18 06:21 PM
    Well a skeleton crew on retainer, maybe. At least something. What if between now and then something else needs PLUGGED? What if some other software needs patching? The EOL is at the END OF 2019! Not 3 years ago!!

I'm going to say it: GOOBERS!! Stupid GOOBERS!
    This is me losing faith in BB LTD.
    BlackBerry doesn't need your faith. They have nothing to sell you - and haven't had for almost 2 years.
    08-15-18 06:22 PM
    BB + TCL does. And maybe I just take my money elsewhere.
    08-15-18 06:27 PM
    In some email correspondence I have had with Alex Thurber via email on some related matters, I was told that basic functions of BlackBerry 10 will continue to function. Calls, texts, emails etc.

Some of the app based services that we know such as BlackBerry World and other apps will be shut down, but that's been announced already.

From what I gather and what seemed likely is that they gave the 2 year time frame commitment and will take a wait and see approach.

If they have enough SAF revenue coming in from BBOS and some corporate clients still on BlackBerry 10 they might extend the official support perhaps another year, I doubt it. I think the decline in the SAF revenue will be the biggest factor one way or another. I don't think they will give it up if there's anything meaningful left, that generates 90% margin for BlackBerry, no easy feat.

Of course given the age of the devices and the technology involved, we may see an acceleration of the BBOS decline very rapidly.

Full disclosure: the speculation of potential extension of the official support either via BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry OS came from me, not Alex Thurber.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 06:29 PM
    BB + TCL does. And maybe I just take my money elsewhere.
    BlackBerry Mobile is just a division of TCL only, licensing the BlackBerry name for Android phones.

They have nothing to do with BB10 and those devices.
    08-15-18 08:08 PM
    If I recall the original announcement, BIS was definitely included in the list things that were being shut down.

It was the BB10 services, besides BlackBerry World, that they were vague on.
    08-15-18 08:13 PM
    The only thing that really matters (in my oinion) is that the servers handling BBID is left untouched or alternatively that a software hack for that is offered. Then all is good!

Whatever is said a fact is that within the last year (correct me if I'm wrong) two limited, but all the same, updates have been provided, 3057 and 3216. If BBID servers shut down a software hack wouldn't be unresonable to expect.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 10:38 PM
    The only thing that really matters (in my oinion) is that the servers handling BBID is left untouched or alternatively that a software hack for that is offered. Then all is good!

Whatever is said a fact is that within the last year (correct me if I'm wrong) two limited, but all the same, updates have been provided, 3057 and 3216. If BBID servers shut down a software hack wouldn't be unresonable to expect.

Posted via CB10
    A software hack that does what? Hack our phone for the worst, I'm assuming?

Or did you mean BB Ltd passes on the baton to another entity that maybe gives us all new updates (like what happened to Pebble Smartwatch company, and how Rebble took over the management of the older tech)?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 10:59 PM
    A software hack that does what? Hack our phone for the worst, I'm assuming?

Or did you mean BB Ltd passes on the baton to another entity that maybe gives us all new updates (like what happened to Pebble Smartwatch company, and how Rebble took over the management of the older tech)?

Posted via CB10
    Neither has a hope of happening.

The first is what we already talked about, which, without developers or a business case, isn't going to happen.

As for the latter, BlackBerry will NOT hand over its signing keys to anyone. Nor will they provide its source code to anyone.
    08-15-18 11:21 PM
178 1234 ...