BlackBerry has announced that some services related to the BlackBerry 10 operating system will cease as of Dec. 31, 2019. Thereafter, the phones won't vanish into thin air -- but what will become of them? I'm interested in facts BlackBerry has provided, and educated conjecture related to what we know.

Will BB10 go the way of Pebble, and receive a final update that essentially cauterized any wounds that were created by the shutdown of the servers? The Pebble watches live on through a community collaboration that effectively provides server continuity for the app store.

What about the Palm/HP webOS example? There are instances of tech companies going through this process that I imagine will be an effective guide.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-18 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry has announced that some services related to the BlackBerry 10 operating system will cease as of Dec. 31, 2019. Thereafter, the phones won't vanish into thin air -- but what will become of them? I'm interested in facts BlackBerry has provided, and educated conjecture related to what we know.

Will BB10 go the way of Pebble, and receive a final update that essentially cauterized any wounds that were created by the shutdown of the servers? The Pebble watches live on through a community collaboration that effectively provides server continuity for the app store.

What about the Palm/HP webOS example? There are instances of tech companies going through this process that I imagine will be an effective guide.

Posted via CB10
    No one knows what will happen.

BlackBerry World will be gone, and support will end - that's all we know for sure.

I would proceed on the assumption that it will die on Jan 1.
    08-14-18 06:30 PM
    Did you read the multiple threads already posted on this?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    08-14-18 07:44 PM
    No one knows what will happen.

BlackBerry World will be gone, and support will end - that's all we know for sure.

I would proceed on the assumption that it will die on Jan 1.
    When you said "it" would die, what do you mean? That's the essence of my question. I don't believe the phones will cease to operate, if that's what you're saying. I assume many of their current features will continue as they always did. To reference the Palm example, those phones still work fine, they just need to have the initial sign-in screen bypassed and the app catalog doesn't work anymore. Things I expect will be affected are voice assist, BlackBerry World and maybe BBM. Signing in with a BlackBerry ID obviously won't work without some signing server, but if they maintained that it would require very little, as new sign-ins would obviously require little data to validate. If they chose to shutdown that server, they could issue a security update overriding the sign-in requirement. Is anything else confirmed to be tied to BlackBerry servers?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-14-18 07:54 PM
    Did you read the multiple threads already posted on this?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    Yes, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    08-14-18 07:55 PM
    When you said "it" would die, what do you mean? That's the essence of my question. I don't believe the phones will cease to operate, if that's what you're saying. I assume many of their current features will continue as they always did. To reference the Palm example, those phones still work fine, they just need to have the initial sign-in screen bypassed and the app catalog doesn't work anymore. Things I expect will be affected are voice assist, BlackBerry World and maybe BBM. Signing in with a BlackBerry ID obviously won't work without some signing server, but if they maintained that it would require very little, as new sign-ins would obviously require little data to validate. If they chose to shutdown that server, they could issue a security update overriding the sign-in requirement. Is anything else confirmed to be tied to BlackBerry servers?

Posted via CB10
    It all comes down to the BB10 BBID infrastructure. Without it, the phone is essentially dead.
    08-14-18 08:09 PM
    who know? I dont know. we see it later

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    08-14-18 11:21 PM
    SMS and Phone Calls and Android Apps is the only way to use the Phone after 2020. maybe

Is there a way to load the native BB apps without the blackberry world ? so I can save the app installer on my computer.
    bb255 likes this.
    08-15-18 03:14 AM
    Empty screen on BB World will greet you. And mostly once the BBID has logged out, the device will be rendered totally useless. Remains to be seen whether calls/SMS works after 2020.
    08-15-18 04:30 AM
    Empty screen on BB World will greet you. And mostly once the BBID has logged out, the device will be rendered totally useless. Remains to be seen whether calls/SMS works after 2020.
    It will appear a Screenshot with Chen laughing and then appearing the phrase: you have been Chenned!! Thabnk you for your money!! Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 04:53 AM
    wouldn't it be the same as all other end of life devices like old Symbian phones or old windows phones that are no longer supported? you can still make calls and send text but anything involving internet services or apps are simply a non starter?
    08-15-18 05:03 AM
    SMS and Phone Calls and Android Apps is the only way to use the Phone after 2020. maybe

Is there a way to load the native BB apps without the blackberry world ? so I can save the app installer on my computer.
    Yes. You can use sachesi or DBBT to install and remove apps on BB10 devices. You can also use these tools to backup the apps bar file, from the OS package. They used to be able to access BlackBerry World app bar files, but I don't think that feature works anymore.
    bb255 likes this.
    08-15-18 05:08 AM
    Yes. You can use sachesi or DBBT to install and remove apps on BB10 devices. You can also use these tools to backup the apps bar file, from the OS package. They used to be able to access BlackBerry World app bar files, but I don't think that feature works anymore.
    Yes i know but where can i download the bar file ? So i can download all my needed apps for a clean install backup
    08-15-18 05:27 AM
  14. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar

do you know bug on whatsapp apk now?
    there is erorr if we called someone and after called, fc it self

08-15-18 05:47 AM
    do you know bug on whatsapp apk now?
    there is erorr if we called someone and after called, fc it self

I don't use whatsapp
    08-15-18 06:17 AM
    Yes i know but where can i download the bar file ? So i can download all my needed apps for a clean install backup
    You have to selectively back them up from your device.
    Mecca EL and bb255 like this.
    08-15-18 06:22 AM
    There's a Chrome browser extension called BB10/Playbook App Manager that can install bar files to it from your computer. It's designed to work via WiFi or USB. I use the latter, and it works well. I assume this will be part of the coping strategy once the BlackBerry World server shuts down. If there's any app you have the slightest interest in, you'd better have that bar file before the shutdown.

Edited to remove erroneous reference to copying bar files off of the device. Thanks, Kommandant.
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 08-15-18 at 01:22 PM.
    08-15-18 06:37 AM
    There's a Chrome browser extension called BB10/Playbook App Manager that can make a copy of bar files that are on your device and also install bar files to it from your computer. It's designed to work via WiFi or USB. I use the latter, and it works well. I assume this will be part of the coping strategy once the BlackBerry World server shuts down. If there's any app you have the slightest interest in, you'd better have that bar file before the shutdown.
    Thank you i try it.
    08-15-18 07:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    We don't know, as BlackBerry has only really identified BBW and "other" services....

There are a number of other "services" that BlackBerry has to licenses for BB10.... Assistant, Maps that will most likely be shutdown between now and 2020. Keyboard is licensed, but I don't think it requires any active services to keep it going.

I expect most all BlackBerry network services will also end... BBID, Legacy BBM, BBW, BB Protect and BIS for BBOS devices. If you have an active BB10 phone, it may work.... until you need to wipe it or it has an OS Error that requires reloading the OS - at which point I don't think there will be any way to activate it. But no one really knows what an end of all these services will do to a BB10 phone....

I expect that with time BlackBerry will let those users know more.... for now enjoy what you can, but best to have an option in place by then.
    08-15-18 07:20 AM
    Sorry but i can not make a copy of my original App Files. I can install Bar Files - yes but how do i make a copy of it ? The Chrome App Manager can not do this :/

There's a Chrome browser extension called BB10/Playbook App Manager that can make a copy of bar files that are on your device and also install bar files to it from your computer. It's designed to work via WiFi or USB. I use the latter, and it works well. I assume this will be part of the coping strategy once the BlackBerry World server shuts down. If there's any app you have the slightest interest in, you'd better have that bar file before the shutdown.
    08-15-18 08:38 AM
    Sorry but i can not make a copy of my original App Files. I can install Bar Files - yes but how do i make a copy of it ? The Chrome App Manager can not do this :/
    I already told you. You have to make a selective backup with Link.
    08-15-18 08:40 AM
    My prediction:

Dozens of millions of people worldwide are going to wake up with a hangover.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-15-18 09:08 AM
    AHHH -.- sorry . . . haha thx

08-15-18 09:13 AM
  24. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    he wants bar file blackberryworld inside. example : bgshell ssh plus,.
    I cant see it again after 5 years about generator website to generate blackberryworld app to bar file

08-15-18 09:33 AM
  25. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    My prediction:

Dozens of millions of people worldwide are going to wake up with a hangover.
    yes, If they want, why not. they want it stay alive

08-15-18 09:34 AM
178 123 ...