10-25-14 11:33 PM
72 123
tools
    Just transferred the data from an OS6 device to Z10...and cannot find the filter by Category option for my Contact List.

Ahh...dont tell me the categories have not made it to BB10...that was a great and important feature.

Please tell me its still in the data somewhere....
    03-30-13 12:00 AM
    I think you have to remake them. Not too sure though

Posted via CB10
    BullMarket likes this.
    03-30-13 12:28 AM
    Well...i cannot believe that they have not recreated the ability to sort your contact list based on the Categories you have selected for each contact. I have about 10 years of contacts, with each contact given category assignments...cities, professions, etc...and this is gone.

How BlackBerry could not accommodate user assigned categories beyond their determined categories of All, Favorites, BBM Video, and BBM is beyond me. That's total BS.

If this is the case, this Z10 is going back back for a refund, its seems I will have to remain on my OS6 device. They just lost a customer.

Cheers!
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-30-13 09:31 AM
    They built this from the ground up a lot of things have been left out but there will be improvements. Other people who say oh it doesn't have this or that don't take the time to read what other helpful posters say and they end up regretting getting rid of their device because they couldn't figure out where such and such was or how to do this...but these helpful posters guided them through it and told them where those specific features are. Updates do come and they are on time. Just hang on to this phone.

Posted via CB10
    BullMarket likes this.
    03-30-13 11:01 AM
    I appreciate your thoughts, but part of a common sense strategy would include accommodating those users that have been using the older OS setup since the Blue 7230. Part of such a strategy must include the full importation of a contact list that was established and build-up upon for the past 8 years. And to see the newly imported contact list of over 400 entities and people from multiple geographies and sectors having lost my defined categories is unacceptable.

When i fly into BeiJing i want to be able to filter my address book by the category "BeiJing". That cannot be done now. Now i am given the choice of All...that is it. Its a mass jumble sorted by name.

There was no intention of accommodating user-defined categories, since its not part of the initial importation process via BlackBerry link.
    03-30-13 11:13 AM
    I do agree this, alone with other should have been included, but also understand what the other poster said, this is the first gen of the os, bbos7 was around for 7-8 years so it was way more established and developed then even ios.

It will take some time for bbos features to come but they will come.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 11:38 AM
    Let me ask this: Is there a way via blackberry link to make modifications to the BB10 OS contact list via your notebook computer and then do a selective restore of only a modified and edited address book/contact list?

I suppose there are no way to make modifications to the address book except via the device....
    03-30-13 03:56 PM
    Alternatively, is there a way to reverse transfer an address book from a BB10 Z10 to a 9700 device...then once could use a third party address book editor to modify an address book on a PC...and then selectively transfer a modified address book back from the 9700 to the BB10 phone?
    03-30-13 04:10 PM
    Add this to the list annoyances I recently found but I thought it was due to not being on BES10.
    I guess even with bes it won't work.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by heading4tomorrow; 03-30-13 at 05:29 PM.
    03-30-13 04:14 PM
    There is NO category search, or the ability to categorize the contact from the device. The legacy OS had it on BES, but that didn't yet port over to BB10. I hope they do bring it back. I use it, but not a lot, still would be nice to have.
    ttgapers and BullMarket like this.
    03-30-13 04:44 PM
    Its too bad...this device is obviously not ready for prime time...it went on tour without all its members of the band.

This is supposed to be useful to the biz community? Well how do you sort your contacts by project team...associations...geographies...universities.. .professions? Doh!!!

The first step of any roll-out of the new OS should be to maintain backward compatibility of operations for its legacy systems. That is unless the operation is functionally obsolete. That is clearly not the case with a user wanting to categorize a database...in this case the Contact List. I mean really...this is the equivalent doing a column sort on a spreadsheet. What if office 2013 removed the column sort functionality?

I mean WTF...how difficult would it have been to preserve the integrity of the category filter?

And its a shame too...since the keyboard does type very accurate and the voice feature for talking out a text message is quite awesome as well. I would gladly keep this device but it shoots itself in the foot for having me loose the functionality of the contact list.
    03-30-13 05:04 PM
    Well then come back when it fits Your needs.

Posted via CB10
    BullMarket likes this.
    03-30-13 05:23 PM
    Well then come back when it fits Your needs.
    That is what i will do, Chief. I can keep my 9700 or more likely get an unlocked 9900. And go out there and pick up a 64gb Playbook for $180 new on sale...that will get updated to BB10...and then i have the Playbook slave to the OS7 device. And the Playbook will have all the key functionality

And then when they get caught up to speed with taking care of their user base, I will be happy to come along, Chief!

Cheers!
    03-30-13 05:37 PM
    This a lot worse than anyone realizes. The BB10 doesn't even have categories as a field in the contacts. I sync my Z10 to Outlook via Office 365/Microsoft Exchange. When I change/update a contact on my Z10 it completely deletes all categories associated with the contact on Outlook. How could anyone at BB think this was okay? To eliminate the most basic function of contact management? And you have morons on this thread saying "hey dude, it's just the first edition man, they'll make improvements." Sorry. BB is dead.
    03-30-13 05:55 PM
    Z10 contacts do not have categories. Isn't that great!
    03-30-13 05:58 PM
    This a lot worse than anyone realizes. The BB10 doesn't even have categories as a field in the contacts. I sync my Z10 to Outlook via Office 365/Microsoft Exchange. When I change/update a contact on my Z10 it completely deletes all categories associated with the contact on Outlook. How could anyone at BB think this was okay? To eliminate the most basic function of contact management? And you have morons on this thread saying "hey dude, it's just the first edition man, they'll make improvements." Sorry. BB is dead.
    If that's the case, it is terrible.
    I hated android when i tried it because it would mess up my contact anytime I tried to edit notes in contacts and would end up truncating the notes and total disaster with no way to recover.

Knowing this I just backed up my contacts to a PST from exchange, so now you are telling me if we edit a contact that belongs to a category it will just strip the category of the contactback on server... That can't be, I will try that Tonight.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:00 PM
    Look...i agree with you but would not go to call the poster morons...but some are clearly just partisans that will just make snarky comments. I have no interest in mouthpieces or hacks. These are just my opinions...and BlackBerry is going to have to get some project managers over there that will not overlook the obvious.

Hey...i will come along in a year or so when they are ready for prime time...meanwhile...i have tested and found an immediate fatal flaw...Cheers!
    03-30-13 06:04 PM
    You can't because Z10 contacts do NOT have categories. This is madness.
    03-30-13 06:05 PM
    Alright...here is a bastardized work around that might be a substitute for those that are waiting for a "fix". I just tested and it seems that you can put your categories into some other fields such as "Other" phone number or "Pager" (glad to see "Pager" made it...we still use those, right?)

And then if you enter a term in a search field it does seem to filter it. Haha but now the contact app seems to be frozen and i cannot exit out of a selected contact after doing an edit. This is just going downhill. Missing my 9700 even with the memory leak and sometimes laggy performance
    03-30-13 06:24 PM
    What happened when you tried editing a contact on your Z10? Did it strip the categories from Outlook?
    03-31-13 10:30 AM
    What happened when you tried editing a contact on your Z10? Did it strip the categories from Outlook?
    There are no Categories on BB10. All contacts are grouped into the "All" group. You get to choose if you want to view subsets of the all group: BBM and BBM Video. That's it. Nice huh. With respect to editing my contacts...twice in the span of 2 hours, the contacts app got stuck in the the edit field and would not exit. Only thing that would solve it was a battery pull. Another poster posted about this phenomena in its own thread.

I am all about learning a new OS and working with it. But look...beyond all the nice bells and whistles we all appreciate...a mobile business phone is supposed to be a workhorse and simply your life. And for me that means the full and complete importation of my contact list from the previous OS that I have been using for 8 years. Its a phone...I need to find my contacts when I need to find them...not go scrolling through a list. Camera tricks and other cool app features are secondary to me. The contacts app on the Z10 I used is buggy and i lost functionality for sorting my contacts.

If the Pager Numbers for contacts can make it to BB10 from BBOS then why the heck could they not include my Categories? Its bad judgement, in my view. I know there are those of you that will disparage me for this point of view...and go ahead. For me this is a deal breaker.

Since the Contacts app does not work then I am not going to bother delving into the rest. The phone is going back. I have my old 9700 workhorse. I will likely give the 9900 a try for the next year or so. By then BlackBerry will hopefully have corrected these errors and omissions.

Cheers!
    Norg likes this.
    03-31-13 06:47 PM
    Thanks for explaining it all so eloquently. I've posted less than twenty times in this site and less than ten times in the blackberry site, about this problem and some other related problems. Almost every response I got until this weekend was something snickering sassy sarcastic or accusatory. I've returned two Z10s so far.

Posted via CB10
    BullMarket likes this.
    03-31-13 09:32 PM
    Like others who have posted, categories are critical to the way I use my Blackberry. I have 1,000 contacts (cut down from 1,400 so they would transfer to my car) and have 25 categories. I have evaluated several smart phones over the past year and still cannot find anything that manages my business needs better than my Bold 9930. I went to the Verizon store yesterday to look at the BB10 and did a quick contact entry test and tried to set categories and discovered the feature is gone. I put the phone down and walked out. No categories is a no-go for me. Very dissapointing!! I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY and am a big supporter. PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGEHTER GUYS!! Don't you have a hard enough road with the limited apps. By the way, no flash support also makes a primary work site unusable. Bummer.
    04-03-13 10:29 AM
    Like others who have posted, categories are critical to the way I use my Blackberry. I have 1,000 contacts (cut down from 1,400 so they would transfer to my car) and have 25 categories. I have evaluated several smart phones over the past year and still cannot find anything that manages my business needs better than my Bold 9930. I went to the Verizon store yesterday to look at the BB10 and did a quick contact entry test and tried to set categories and discovered the feature is gone. I put the phone down and walked out. No categories is a no-go for me. Very dissapointing!! I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY and am a big supporter. PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGEHTER GUYS!! Don't you have a hard enough road with the limited apps. By the way, no flash support also makes a primary work site unusable. Bummer.
    I totally agree with you, we (Z10 users) are just trying to cope with the limitations, will keep trying to a point, unless they fix it, it will be either one of these:
    A) Screw this, I am going back to 9900...
    B) Wow, I love full screen, touch screen, speed, functionality, screw this, I am going to Android..

So BB really needs to fix the issues that have been brought up, not just in this forum but in many other forums.
    I read in official forums that you need to keep bothering your carrier with these issues so they can escalate to manufacturer. Make sure you get a ticket or ref # for the complain and ask them to relay to BBRY.

BTW to answer a post above, yes BB strips the categories off the contacts if you edit the contact in any way!!
    BullMarket likes this.
    04-03-13 10:55 AM
    Its a shame, since i was excited about the phone, but could not believe that the categories filter was dropped. It was one of the key features that always kept me with BlackBerry, as I just loved the way you could organize your contact list. I never even thought of going to iPhone or Android since i was pleased with my Address Book and throughout all upgrades over the years ALL features of the address book were always transferred to the new OS.

Was impressed with many features of the Z10 phone and would still have it today, but they screwed up the address book. And for what reason I cannot figure out why. And for that reason alone I returned that phone. Sent it back and T-mobile is providing a full refund.

If and when they restore full functionality of the address book to the legacy parameters, I will go back to the phone...and perhaps pick it up new and unlocked for about $200 bucks cheaper. And while I am a shareholder, I am first and foremost a consumer.

I am going to check Windows 8 to go see if the newest version of Outlook dropped the categories field...that must be it...Cheers!
    Last edited by BullMarket; 04-03-13 at 10:29 PM.
    04-03-13 10:11 PM
72 123