Its a shame, since i was excited about the phone, but could not believe that the categories filter was dropped. It was one of the key features that always kept me with BlackBerry, as I just loved the way you could organize your contact list. I never even thought of going to iPhone or Android since i was pleased with my Address Book and throughout all upgrades over the years ALL features of the address book were always transferred to the new OS.

Was impressed with many features of the Z10 phone and would still have it today, but they screwed up the address book. And for what reason I cannot figure out why. And for that reason alone I returned that phone. Sent it back and T-mobile is providing a full refund.

If and when they restore full functionality of the address book to the legacy parameters, I will go back to the phone...and perhaps pics it up new and unlocked for about $200 bucks cheaper. And while I am a shareholder, I am first and foremost a consumer.

I am going to check Windows 8 to go see if the newest version of Outlook dropped the categories field...that must be it...Cheers!
    Could you tell me how are you going to get a full refund from T-Mobile?
    They have $50 to $75 restocking fee.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 10:20 PM
    Could you tell me how are you going to get a full refund from T-Mobile?
    They have $50 to $75 restocking fee.

Posted via CB10
    I told them that the new phone does not provide full functionality of my previous phone's contact list. Told them it would not work for me and that I am sticking to my old phone.

They told me it would be a full refund. So we shall see. I do not expect to be hit with a restocking fee.

Only had the phone over a weekend, and they give 20 days for returns unless in Cali then they give your 30 days...Cheers!
    04-03-13 11:49 PM
    I told them that the new phone does not provide full functionality of my previous phone's contact list. Told them it would not work for me and that I am sticking to my old phone.

They told me it would be a full refund. So we shall see. I do not expect to be hit with a restocking fee.

Only had the phone over a weekend, and they give 20 days for returns unless in Cali then they give your 30 days...Cheers!

In NY they offer only 14 days and they slap you with restocking fee.... not that I am planning to return mine, but if I did that would be the case.
    04-04-13 12:19 AM
    In NY they offer only 14 days and they slap you with restocking fee.... not that I am planning to return mine, but if I did that would be the case.
    I got the email from Tmobile USA today and they refunded the entire amount of the Z10 I returned with no restocking fee. In fact, it was free shipping to me, and when they shipped the phone they provided a prepaid shipping label back to their factory.

I am on the sidelines with BB10 until they migrate the category filter, and Ideally allowing a two-way transfer of device data back to BB OS. Sure they are trying to sell the new units, but if its that good of a product its sales will take care of itself..and lets face it...we all like to keep the older phones as backups.

I will keep an eye peeled for updates that restore the contact list to all its former glory...Cheers!
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    04-05-13 09:17 PM
    I got the email from Tmobile USA today and they refunded the entire amount of the Z10 I returned with no restocking fee. In fact, it was free shipping to me, and when they shipped the phone they provided a prepaid shipping label back to their factory.

I am on the sidelines with BB10 until they migrate the category filter, and Ideally allowing a two-way transfer of device data back to BB OS. Sure they are trying to sell the new units, but if its that good of a product its sales will take care of itself..and lets face it...we all like to keep the older phones as backups.

I will keep an eye peeled for updates that restore the contact list to all its former glory...Cheers!
    Hi BullMarket,
    I just returned my Z10 as well. In my case I started having problems with the device, and since they verified it as defective, at first store charged me, but T-Mo Blackberry Team was able to verify the problem and get the charge removed.

I am back to my 9700 and will get a 9900 and watch for 10.2 (I see that 10.1 did not fix the major issues, but it is a good direction) and see how it goes. Z10 is a beautiful piece of hardware and a nice OS, but just not complete yet. (at least for us who expected it to be OS7 and more)..
    BullMarket likes this.
    04-06-13 12:00 AM
    I have no issues with contact categories on the Z10. They are not there, but they do not get stripped from the contacts on the server.
    04-06-13 05:07 AM
    I am back to my 9700 and will get a 9900 and watch for 10.2 (I see that 10.1 did not fix the major issues, but it is a good direction) and see how it goes. Z10 is a beautiful piece of hardware and a nice OS, but just not complete yet. (at least for us who expected it to be OS7 and more)..
    And therein lies the problem for some users. I loved a lot of things about my 9810, but I struggle with whether or not it is reasonable that the Z10 should have ALL those functionalities. One thing I keep in mind is that some of the things BBRY is good at did not happen overnight. BBOS was around for a number of years and so they had the opportunity to polish it and integrate some really cool stuff. Like others, I believe BB10 will get much better with time and some features added that some users will embrace. If the phone in its current state do not work for some users, then that is OK. It is incumbent on the user to do due diligence before switching devices. I do not believe any first generation phone is going to meet everybody expectations, especially so because we are creatures of habit.
    BullMarket likes this.
    04-06-13 08:26 AM
    And therein lies the problem for some users. I loved a lot of things about my 9810, but I struggle with whether or not it is reasonable that the Z10 should have ALL those functionalities. One thing I keep in mind is that some of the things BBRY is good at did not happen overnight. BBOS was around for a number of years and so they had the opportunity to polish it and integrate some really cool stuff. Like others, I believe BB10 will get much better with time and some features added that some users will embrace. If the phone in its current state do not work for some users, then that is OK. It is incumbent on the user to do due diligence before switching devices. I do not believe any first generation phone is going to meet everybody expectations, especially so because we are creatures of habit.
    Yep, but I do not agree with users to do their investigation before they buy the phone, you cannot really remember every little thing you need it, most of the time it is something so simple that you think it should be there, why would it not be? It was a simple, yet very useful feature, and then bam it is not there? Will there be anyone answering people if they post 50 questions of the stuff they hope Z10 has, that they use in their current phone? I asked bunch of questions, and it sounded like Z10 is perfect, I bought it, tried it for a week and i found so many things missing, and so many features just got clipped, I had to return it. Hopefully blackberry fixes these things by the time Q10 is released, or whatever the next OS after 10.1 will be, so that I can run back and buy it or whatever is available then. It just did not work for me.
    BullMarket likes this.
    04-06-13 10:41 PM
    Yep, but I do not agree with users to do their investigation before they buy the phone, you cannot really remember every little thing you need it, most of the time it is something so simple that you think it should be there, why would it not be? It was a simple, yet very useful feature, and then bam it is not there?
    Exactly...could not fathom that the user-defined categories were dropped. Sure every client in Dubai might be found in the BBM category graciously pre-set by the BB10 developers...but then again...what good does that do when they are mixed in with the girl i met at last week's party?

Oh well...its a slow turning and life goes on...Cheers!
    04-07-13 03:47 PM
    I totally agree - no contact categories, no BlackBerry!!!
    05-13-13 09:55 AM
    I have the same issue. No categories.
    But...
    its the best phone out there hands down?
    its gotta be user error?
    reboots? no way.....
    OMG no Skype?
    its a brand new OS, so allow them to screw up some more?
    am I missing any more excuses for them?

Long time BB user, 12 years....shame my z10 is a beautiful unit....as a paperweight
    05-14-13 08:24 AM
    Letting them get away without admission of these lack of features for 2-3 even 6 months is OK. But pass that would indicate ignorance on BB's part and not caring about the core users, business-men/women, and focusing on being a "hip" device targeting teens/techies who care about fancy looks and specs, not functionality!

I went straight back to 9900 and I do not plan to get Q10 until major drawbacks are addressed.

Sent from BlackBerry 9900
    05-19-13 10:29 AM
    Same complaint. Just upgraded to OS 10.2, hoping that categories was one of the fixes. No such luck. Extremely disappointing to say the least!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:13 PM
    Same complaint. Just upgraded to OS 10.2, hoping that categories was one of the fixes. No such luck. Extremely disappointing to say the least!

Posted via CB10
    Have you heard anything from BlackBerry on this issue yet ?? We should try to unify our request, I have a feeling that it's being diluted throughout the many forums. The missing "categories" field in OS10 is becoming more and more frustrating.... Thank god that my MS Outlook still uses them, however I've noticed that every time I access or edit a contact on my Z10, it pulls the contact out from its respective category in Outlook. Where did you get 10.2 anyway, please do tell... or point...
    06-05-13 06:43 PM
    Like others who have posted, categories are critical to the way I use my Blackberry. I have 1,000 contacts (cut down from 1,400 so they would transfer to my car) and have 25 categories. I have evaluated several smart phones over the past year and still cannot find anything that manages my business needs better than my Bold 9930. I went to the Verizon store yesterday to look at the BB10 and did a quick contact entry test and tried to set categories and discovered the feature is gone. I put the phone down and walked out. No categories is a no-go for me. Very dissapointing!! I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY and am a big supporter. PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGEHTER GUYS!! Don't you have a hard enough road with the limited apps. By the way, no flash support also makes a primary work site unusable. Bummer.
    Very well explained and to the point, how can BlackBerry not take notice of something so basic and easy to resolve...must admit, their disconnectedness from loyal long time business users scares me. I have raised the very same point at BlackBerry support, and no response from anyone :-(
    06-06-13 08:05 AM
    Does anyone at CrackBerry (moderator, etc...) know the best place to forward this issue in order to get some official recognition and assistance from BlackBerry...we definitely need to make sure that they're made aware of this issue.
    06-15-13 09:54 AM
    The missing "categories" field in OS10 is becoming more and more frustrating.... Thank god that my MS Outlook still uses them, however I've noticed that every time I access or edit a contact on my Z10, it actually pulls the contact out from its respective category in Outlook. Since this is the case, I consider this more of a bug than an omission.
    06-25-13 12:08 AM

When i fly into BeiJing i want to be able to filter my address book by the category "BeiJing". That cannot be done now. Now i am given the choice of All...that is it. Its a mass jumble sorted by name.

There was no intention of accommodating user-defined categories, since its not part of the initial importation process via BlackBerry link.
    I know this is only a bandaid fix but you could include the word [Beijing] like so, as part of your Beijing Contact info. Whether its a prefix of the contact name or company is up to you.
    06-25-13 07:01 AM
    Just want to add to this;

When transferring contacts from google, I have several contacts that are in separate categories. Unless the contact is in "my contacts' it will not sync to my q10.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, shame on blackberry....
    09-25-13 09:53 PM
    Just checked back in here after some months to see if the category filter was finally included with OS 10.2. Been sorta considering the Z30, but since categories are still not included i guess i will just have to pass on this again.

During the interim, I have been using a 9900 i pulled off Ebay in almost perfect condition for $215 net net. Mind you this was back in April. 9900 is indeed a very usable phone with all features of the address book that has been standard on all BlackBerry biz phones for the past decade. Also using a 32 gig playbook that with Origami browser work like a charm when bridged to the 9900. Actually, I use the tablet to do all the reading and browser tools, and the phone for long messaging and calls. Good combination for about $370 all in for both devices.

Interesting, in that I am looking for a reason to make the switch to BB10 if only they would port the functionality from previous devices. And I guess in retrospect it does not surprise me that they have had to take a write-down of nearly a $1bn, since not only are they not bringing in new users, but it seems they are also loosing those in their base, of which I am one.

Oh well...if they ever do add the category filter, please post it in this thread...Cheers!
    Last edited by BullMarket; 10-02-13 at 09:27 PM. Reason: document proofing
    10-02-13 09:25 PM
    Just checked back in here after some months to see if the category filter was finally included with OS 10.2. Been sorta considering the Z30, but since categories are still not included i guess i will just have to pass on this again.

During the interim, I have been using a 9900 i pulled off Ebay in almost perfect condition for $215 net net. Mind you this was back in April. 9900 is indeed a very usable phone with all features of the address book that has been standard on all BlackBerry biz phones for the past decade. Also using a 32 gig playbook that with Origami browser work like a charm when bridged to the 9900. Actually, I use the tablet to do all the reading and browser tools, and the phone for long messaging and calls. Good combination for about $370 all in for both devices.

Interesting, in that I am looking for a reason to make the switch to BB10 if only they would port the functionality from previous devices. And I guess in retrospect it does not surprise me that they have had to take a write-down of nearly a $1bn, since not only are they not bringing in new users, but it seems they are also loosing those in their base, of which I am one.

Oh well...if they ever do add the category filter, please post it in this thread...Cheers!

Oh wow, I actually thought someone came in here and said "Categories are back in 10.2, so all above is irrelevant now"... but sadly I come across your post stating 10.2 still won't have this function, it is sad. Very sad. And I totally agree with all you said above, exactly my experience, when my 9700 died I tried Z10 and swiftly returned it (After 2 weeks) and got myself a 9900 off-contract. I paid off-contract because I always thought Z10 or Z30 or even Q10 will soon receive an updated OS that will bring back all the functionality of OS7 that we all love and use, sadly after half a year, it did not happen.

Now looking at 10.2 functionality and updates list (posted here for 10.2.1) OS 10.2.1.476 Leaks For All Devices Except the Z10 STL100-1 - BerryReview unless they had a whole lot more added in original 10.2, it doesn't look like much of an update.

So, I am going to hold onto my 9900 for a bit more, but I am seriously considering getting an iPhone or Android device and trying 3rd party email softwares,etc.. They really can't be any worse then BB OS10, and we get all those app selection. At this point there is nothing that stands out with BB10 as a big selling point (ok, I admit, Z10's soft keyboard was the most accurate and fastest keyboard I ever used, so I give them that, but I believe that 3rd party keyboards, like the ones who developed OS10 keyboard, should be pretty close to it).

So, RIM/BBRY/FAIRFAX/etc, see what a tiny function like contact categories can result in user experience..
    10-03-13 11:44 AM
    Hello All...just ran across this review of an OS leak that said that the category filter is back in a leaked OS v 10.2.1

Contact Groups Show Up in Latest BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Leak - BerryReview

Can anyone that has used this confirm that it will import the contact categories from an OS 7.1 phone?

Is the functionality the same as for the legacy BBOS?

Please advise...Cheers!
    12-21-13 07:14 PM
    Hello All...just ran across this review of an OS leak that said that the category filter is back in a leaked OS v 10.2.1

Contact Groups Show Up in Latest BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Leak - BerryReview

Can anyone that has used this confirm that it will import the contact categories from an OS 7.1 phone?

Is the functionality the same as for the legacy BBOS?

Please advise...Cheers!
    "Groups" as BlackBerry uses then is not the same as "Categories" as Outlook uses them. They are not at all treated the same way.

I have 10.2.1.1055, and categories are still missing for contacts.

What's worse - and I've brought this up in every beta zone survey I take - I sync my contacts over exchange active sync, and any time I edit a contact on my phone, even just to apply a ringtone, the category get completely cleared out back in Outlook. This messes up a lot of the contact organization we keep at my office.

What's really strange is that if a category is assigned to a calendar entry, that actually does show up when viewing the entry on the phone. Can't edit it, or select one when creating a calendar appointment on the phone, but it does recognize it at least.

Maybe they are slowly reimplementing it. I don't have the newest leak that just came out loaded yet, so I'm interested in seeing if they have taken it further.

Posted via CB10
    Norg likes this.
    12-21-13 11:54 PM
    "Groups" as BlackBerry uses then is not the same as "Categories" as Outlook uses them. They are not at all treated the same way.

I have 10.2.1.1055, and categories are still missing for contacts.

What's worse - and I've brought this up in every beta zone survey I take - I sync my contacts over exchange active sync, and any time I edit a contact on my phone, even just to apply a ringtone, the category get completely cleared out back in Outlook. This messes up a lot of the contact organization we keep at my office.

What's really strange is that if a category is assigned to a calendar entry, that actually does show up when viewing the entry on the phone. Can't edit it, or select one when creating a calendar appointment on the phone, but it does recognize it at least.

Maybe they are slowly reimplementing it. I don't have the newest leak that just came out loaded yet, so I'm interested in seeing if they have taken it further.

Posted via CB10
    Slowly?
    They are busy adding useless eye candy features instead of adding essential stuff like this. Hey we got option to mute shutter sound, amazing!!!!!!!!! Who needs categories.
    Shame on BB if really this still is not added.

Sent from my LG-D800
    Norg likes this.
    12-22-13 12:34 PM
    Slowly?
    They are busy adding useless eye candy features instead of adding essential stuff like this. Hey we got option to mute shutter sound, amazing!!!!!!!!! Who needs categories.
    Shame on BB if really this still is not added.

Sent from my LG-D800
    Can't really disagree with you there.

While I love a lot of what's been added up to now, support for categories should have been a priority by the PIM group (especially given the way it breaks them syncing over EAS) long ago and fixed by the time 10.1 came out.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 03:05 PM
72 123