I agree. 2 way sync to mac and categories are very important feature!! In the meantime, you might look into the smart tag app (included) to see if that helps. Also, you can share contacts in the remember app and make groups there. I know it is time consuming but, once completed, it works. Sounds like you have time on the air plane to play with that. One last idea is you can share a contact to drop box. This may allow you to more quickly transfer contacts at your computer. you can build your groups in drop box. Hope this helps someone.

Just too many other good features for me to stop using this phone. I will impatiently wait for these features to be added back......

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 03:34 PM
    Can't really disagree with you there.

While I love a lot of what's been added up to now, support for categories should have been a priority by the PIM group (especially given the way it breaks them syncing over EAS) long ago and fixed by the time 10.1 came out.

Posted via CB10
    Joeldf, Have you heard anything from BlackBerry on this issue yet ?? I recently resent this directly to the Bug section of the BetaZone for BB10, but haven't received any response yet !!
    The missing "categories" field in OS10 is becoming more and more frustrating.... Thank god that my MS Outlook still uses them, but it's frustrating that every time I access or edit a contact on my Z10, it pulls the contact out from its respective category in Outlook. I noticed that they added a Groups feature in Contacts on 10.2.1.1925, after testing it out a few times, it doesn't appear to sync with Outlook...at least not yet and perhaps they're finally working on it. Categories assigned to a Calendar event do display too now, as you pointed out earlier. Has anyone had different results or heard anything positive from other sources ??
    Last edited by gliveron; 02-19-14 at 04:26 PM.
    02-19-14 04:15 PM
    slowly?
    They are busy adding useless eye candy features instead of adding essential stuff like this. Hey we got option to mute shutter sound, amazing!!!!!!!!! Who needs categories.

Shame on BlackBerry if really this still is not added.

Sent from my lg-d800
    Completely agree with you !!!!
    Last edited by gliveron; 02-19-14 at 04:27 PM.
    02-19-14 04:16 PM
    Joeldf, Have you heard anything from BlackBerry on this issue yet ?? I recently resent this directly to the Bug section of the BetaZone for BB10, but haven't received any response yet !!
    The missing "categories" field in OS10 is becoming more and more frustrating.... Thank god that my MS Outlook still uses them, but it's frustrating that every time I access or edit a contact on my Z10, it pulls the contact out from its respective category in Outlook. I noticed that they added a Groups feature in Contacts on 10.2.1.1925, after testing it out a few times, it doesn't appear to sync with Outlook...at least not yet and perhaps they're finally working on it. Categories assigned to a Calendar event do display too now, as you pointed out earlier. Has anyone had different results or heard anything positive from other sources ??
    Nothing yet.

Even the new (at the time of this post) OS - 10.2.1.2141 - doesn't fix it. Edited a contact in my Z10 just yesterday, got to my PC, and the category for that contact was cleared out in Outlook.

Either way, implementing categories would be a new feature. If we are ever going to see it, it would be in a new OS branch as the 10.2.1 branch has pretty much been feature locked since 1055. All we'll get from here on out are bug fixes and optimizations.

Maybe the 10.2.2, or even the 10.3 branches now cooking behind the BlackBerry walls will finally have it.

I can only hope.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 06:00 PM
    I trust you remember that the Contact CATEGORIES in Outlook would sync with Contact GROUPS in the Legacy platform (pre os10).

Posted via CB10 with my Super Snappy Z10 (STL100-3) 10.2.1.2141 on AT&T
    02-20-14 10:05 AM
    Arrghhh

With thirteen years of contacts, 5,927, I use Categories...on my 9900.

At least I read the "Why I'm Giving Up My Q10..." thread on supportforums.blackberry.com, before I purchased a Q10 last August.

Forwarned about the lost of Trackpad, I bought a used Q10, and have kept it updated (thanks to CrackBerry 'leaks' and Sachesi), so I can see how it's doing -- with just a test email account.

Saw the announcement that the TrackPad will be back on the Q20 later this year, but will not go with that unless they add Categories.

Using the used Q10 just to follow along...but it's simply a physical keyboard 'grafted' onto a touchscreen device...minus many of the BBOS keyboard shortcuts!
    02-25-14 06:38 PM
    Has there been any update on this matter??

I bought the Q10 device in November of 2013. After finding out that categories were taken out there was no way I could keep the device. I have 2338 contacts all neatly categorized, soon as I meet you and add you to my phone you are placed in a category for my organization & sanity.

I had read somewhere that with the new 10.2 update that categories had made their way back to the the BB10. So I just recently ordered the Q10 again and took advantage of the great trade-in offer that T-Mobile is having, but upon reading this thread, I cant seem to find any conclusive evidence that it is indeed back.

If it is not, than I fear my run with Blackberry is at an end. Patiently waiting for over a year for a contact management feature to be included in what primarily should be a business oriented phone is unacceptable. Even with it being a new OS, their are certain CORE functions that are in the heart of what made this a great TOOL for business professionals.

I will have to manually create groups in iOS once it might take me weeks to re-categorize everyone, but at lease I know it can be done using icloud. Plus I have the opportunity to use the trade in value that Tmobile is currently running which I do not know how long it will last.

This is bittersweet.
    03-01-14 12:56 PM
    Has there been any update on this matter??

I bought the Q10 device in November of 2013. After finding out that categories were taken out there was no way I could keep the device. I have 2338 contacts all neatly categorized, soon as I meet you and add you to my phone you are placed in a category for my organization & sanity.

I had read somewhere that with the new 10.2 update that categories had made their way back to the the BB10. So I just recently ordered the Q10 again and took advantage of the great trade-in offer that T-Mobile is having, but upon reading this thread, I cant seem to find any conclusive evidence that it is indeed back.

If it is not, than I fear my run with Blackberry is at an end. Patiently waiting for over a year for a contact management feature to be included in what primarily should be a business oriented phone is unacceptable. Even with it being a new OS, their are certain CORE functions that are in the heart of what made this a great TOOL for business professionals.

I will have to manually create groups in iOS once it might take me weeks to re-categorize everyone, but at lease I know it can be done using icloud. Plus I have the opportunity to use the trade in value that Tmobile is currently running which I do not know how long it will last.

This is bittersweet.
    There should be a contact management utility integrated into BB Link, that lets you sort and organize contacts in with editable fields in table form. Click, drag & drop, edit, delete, sort, merge, find, remove duplicates, add to group, etc. like an Excel spreadsheet. Show differences between phone data and desktop data with different colours, then make a decision, either using a pattern or merging manually.

The whole data exportable into other formats, and function to store compressed and encrypted with a password.

When you're finished, just upload the whole table back onto the phone, and disconnect.

I had a program like that once for my Nokia in 2000, I remember. It seemed just too easy.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    03-01-14 06:11 PM
    There should be a contact management utility integrated into BB Link, that lets you sort and organize contacts in with editable fields in table form. Click, drag & drop, edit, delete, sort, merge, find, remove duplicates, add to group, etc. like an Excel spreadsheet. Show differences between phone data and desktop data with different colours, then make a decision, either using a pattern or merging manually.

The whole data exportable into other formats, and function to store compressed and encrypted with a password.

When you're finished, just upload the whole table back onto the phone, and disconnect.

I had a program like that once for my Nokia in 2000, I remember. It seemed just too easy.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    Prem WatsApp although I applaud your creativeness, you're missing the whole point to this thread.

03-01-14 10:37 PM
    Arrghhh

At least I read the "Why I'm Giving Up My Q10..." thread on supportforums.blackberry.com, before I purchased a Q10 last August.

Forwarned about the lost of Trackpad, I bought a used Q10, and have kept it updated (thanks to CrackBerry 'leaks' and Sachesi), so I can see how it's doing -- with just a test email account.

Saw the announcement that the TrackPad will be back on the Q20 later this year, but will not go with that unless they add Categories.

Using the used Q10 just to follow along...but it's simply a physical keyboard 'grafted' onto a touchscreen device...minus many of the BBOS keyboard shortcuts!
    George_B, have you found out anything new to help our cause ??

Has anyone heard any news about the recently added Contact Groups field feature in Contacts ?? Looks promising but doesn't synch with my Contact Categories in Outlook !! Does anyone know if BlackBerry is working towards correcting the Contact Category sync bug with MS Outlook ??

03-06-14 09:54 AM
    George_B, have you found out anything new to help our cause ??

Has anyone heard any news about the recently added Contact Groups field feature in Contacts ?? Looks promising but doesn't synch with my Contact Categories in Outlook !! Does anyone know if BlackBerry is working towards correcting the Contact Category sync bug with MS Outlook ??

you read news about a "added Contact Groups field feature in Contacts" because i've done extensive google searches and have found nothing, .......which is a bummer I have an un-opened Q10 that Tmobile sent me, that Im deciding what to do with..........so I needed to figure this out asap while I still have my 15 days or whatever it is to return the phone with no fee.

best,
    03-07-14 10:17 AM
    you read news about a "added Contact Groups field feature in Contacts" because i've done extensive google searches and have found nothing, .......which is a bummer I have an un-opened Q10 that Tmobile sent me, that Im deciding what to do with..........so I needed to figure this out asap while I still have my 15 days or whatever it is to return the phone with no fee.

best,
    I agree and share your frustration HollywoodHenry...just wish that US carriers (including at&t) would be just a little more forthcoming and fair-minded with regards to BlackBerry devices in general !! Would make dealing with these functional issues so much easier to deal with !!! Far too much negativity being spread and to what end ??

03-09-14 01:39 PM
    Ohhh I thought you read somewhere that it had been added to the newest OS release.
    03-09-14 03:13 PM
    I noticed that they added a Groups feature in Contacts on 10.2.1.1925, after testing it out a few times, it doesn't appear to sync with Outlook...at least not yet and perhaps they're finally working on it. Categories assigned to a Calendar event do display too now, as someone pointed out earlier. Have you had different results or heard anything positive from other sources ??

03-10-14 01:07 AM
    Okay it doesn't synch with Outlook, but is it at least filtered on your phones address book?? Meaning that if you were to go into your phones address book and we're looking for someone in a particular category could you now filter it by that category? Thats my main issue, I need to be able to quickly find people, I have 2332 contacts and when I cant remember a persons name, I can filter it down by category that helps me a lot to find the person I'm looking for.

I'm still using the Bod 9900 !!! I have an unopened Q10 at home, which I must return soon if I'm going to fit under the grace period. So i've been trying to get clarification on the address book issue so I can decide whether to keep the 9900 or if I can finally move over to BB10.
    03-11-14 04:05 PM
    Yes it allows you to filter, hence only view those contacts within that Group. I have 1200+ contacts, and since it doesn't sync with my Outlook, I have to setup and assign all my contacts individually. Basically do the work twice since this is already done in my Contact list in Outlook and to add insult these use to sync with pre BB OS 10. Also, I still have the problem whereby it pulls a contact out from its respective Category in Outlook whenever I make a change to a contact on my BlackBerry device.

03-11-14 06:12 PM
    Yes it allows you to filter, hence only view those contacts within that Group. I have 1200+ contacts, and since it doesn't sync with my Outlook, I have to setup and assign all my contacts individually. Basically do the work twice since this is already done in my Contact list in Outlook and to add insult these use to sync with pre BB OS 10. Also, I still have the problem whereby it pulls a contact out from its respective Category in Outlook whenever I make a change to a contact on my BlackBerry device.

ohh i see your issue, I use my Blackberry device as my master address book, so even if I'm writing an email on the computer I was refer to my Blackberry to check the email, as its being pre-populated by Apple Mail, all my contacts are on the apple address book and on gmail, so as long as I start typing a few letters of the name it drops down the pre-populated email address. So as long as I can find them on the Blackberry phone it helps me tremendously.
    03-11-14 06:38 PM
    Arrghhh

Did you see Gliveron response, does that help you?? As you were having a similar issue with the categories as well.
    03-11-14 06:40 PM
    Did you see Gliveron response, does that help you?? As you were having a similar issue with the categories as well.
    From what I read, many others were experiencing the very same issue as I. Unfortunately, these reports are being spread into so many different threads that it practically goes unnoticed and barely on the radar. I was last told by BlackBerry forums to send a message to @MichaelClewey

Posted via CB10 with my Super Snappy Z10 (STL100-3) 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    04-06-14 08:05 AM
    After being thrilled with my new Z10 in many respects I discovered tonight that there's no way to filter by categories...

I too have many Outlook contacts organized by category and it is not helpful to have them all lumped into one huge container. I have categories by location, by type of contact (e.g., restaurants), etc. so seeing all these things with my "regular" contacts I need to see every day feels and is very inefficient.

Does anybody know of any update on this? Are they talking about bringing back the category filters?
    05-06-14 09:20 PM
    A while back on BlackBerry's ICanMakeItBetter, one of the BlackBerry reps mentioned -- in reply to my own need for Categories, that they would be brought back. But they haven't been seen in any updates, including OS 10.3.1.632.

So maybe when the Classic comes out. But, with over 6,000 contacts on my 9900, I'm not about to move to OS 10.

The 9900 has no drawbacks for me...for those who use the browser a tremendous amount, the BBOS browser on the 9900 is slow.

Use the Bold for email, contacts, and also put a lot of info in as "Contacts", since it is so easily available.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:21 PM
    A while back on BlackBerry's ICanMakeItBetter, one of the BlackBerry reps mentioned -- in reply to my own need for Categories, that they would be brought back. But they haven't been seen in any updates, including OS 10.3.1.632.

So maybe when the Classic comes out. But, with over 6,000 contacts on my 9900, I'm not about to move to OS 10.

The 9900 has no drawbacks for me...for those who use the browser a tremendous amount, the BBOS browser on the 9900 is slow.

Use the Bold for email, contacts, and also put a lot of info in as "Contacts", since it is so easily available.
    Posted via CB10
    I sure hope we get some positive news soon on this, it's been a thorn in my side ever since switching to OS10. Also, to add insult to injury, I still have the bug whereby it pulls a contact out from its respective Category in Outlook whenever I edit said contact on my BlackBerry device.
    10-25-14 11:33 PM
72 123