Is anybody expecting a delay in OS updates or a complete drop from devs? Or the opposite?
    09-23-13 04:36 PM
    I doubt there would be a delay. From what they said they are still trying to increase market share and delaying an os wouldn't do any good.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 04:39 PM
    Everything will be business as usual until the deal is finalized. The board of directors and the company direction has not changed. Fairfax still has no say in anything until everything is finalized.
    09-23-13 04:43 PM
    I'm hoping things get better. New ideas and quality updates in the near future.

Trusted Member Genius
    09-23-13 05:14 PM
    Is anybody expecting a delay in OS updates or a complete drop from devs? Or the opposite?
    I don't expect anything different than what is being done now. BBRY is planning on supporting Enterprise customers, with hardware and software as in the news release. They will work with carriers which means they will still have phones. To do this, they need to update the OS and give corporate developers the tools that they need to develop for the platform. This could always trickle down to the consumers, as no where do they say that they wouldn't sell to a consumer.
    09-23-13 05:29 PM
    Ya let TAT off the leash!!!

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3, eldricho and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    09-23-13 05:43 PM
    I won't be surprised if they direct sell to consumers

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 07:27 PM
    I can see dev support taking a hit if they intend to "focus on enterprise and prosumers" mostly but otherwise BB itself will not have any changes going on. 10.2 will still role out and BBM will hopefully go cross platform soon
    09-23-13 07:59 PM
    I can see dev support taking a hit if they intend to "focus on enterprise and prosumers" mostly but otherwise BB itself will not have any changes going on. 10.2 will still role out and BBM will hopefully go cross platform soon
    Why would dev support take a hit? I develop for the enterprise. If they don't allow us enterprise developer make apps for our company, I won't recommend that we use Blackberry products in our enterprise environment.
    09-23-13 08:05 PM
    Why would dev support take a hit? I develop for the enterprise. If they don't allow us enterprise developer make apps for our company, I won't recommend that we use Blackberry products in our enterprise environment.
    your an enterprise dev, obviously you wouldnt stop but others that dont do enterprise might.
    09-23-13 08:14 PM
    The consumer side is not dead and is probably just a fluid situation right now. I'd assume they will push forward with 10.2, BBM4ALL, Jellybean support with more popular apps available, and the Z30, then see how this is received. If there is an unexpected uptick they will proceed with more consumer offerings and marketing. If not, then "prosumer" (read: enterprise) it is.

Then again they may have already decided for the latter, but me personally, I'd proceed as described above unless the situation is more dire than public knowledge.
    09-23-13 10:58 PM
    If you follow BlackBerry forums online, usually know when the next model is coming up, load "leaks" of new OS updates before your carrier pushes them to you, etc., you fit the usual definition of a "prosumer." I think that BlackBerry's press release just says that they are not really going to go out of their way to get more casual users, the type who walk into a cellular phone store and wait for the sales people to tell them what to buy. The people who are enthusiasts, fan-boys, and are proactive about their phone selections fit more into the "prosumer" category.

BlackBerry never said they would abandon the consumer market -- it's just that they don't want to waste a lot of effort pursuing it.
    09-24-13 12:35 AM
    Start back from ground zero...back to roots...

Build enterprise and prosumer solutions but this time reinvent wheel and make something that only VIP, successful people will have, and make it cool again so consumers see it and go "oooooooh!" Then start the roll-out to general consumers once again.

It won't be easy - heck I'm not even sure it is possible in this day and age where phones pretty much all just DO. But it is a viable strategy for BlackBerry to pursue in the sense that if they disappear again for a while and then emerge from the shadows with awesome devices that only business people have, they may be able to create a similar effect that made them successful in the first place long ago.

Don't flame me, I'm not saying this is likely.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-24-13 12:52 AM
    The only part I don't understand is how enterprise / prosumer works with the big byod trend. I would have thought that the key to the enterprise is in the consumer space.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 01:32 AM
    If you follow BlackBerry forums online, usually know when the next model is coming up, load "leaks" of new OS updates before your carrier pushes them to you, etc., you fit the usual definition of a "prosumer." I think that BlackBerry's press release just says that they are not really going to go out of their way to get more casual users, the type who walk into a cellular phone store and wait for the sales people to tell them what to buy. The people who are enthusiasts, fan-boys, and are proactive about their phone selections fit more into the "prosumer" category.

BlackBerry never said they would abandon the consumer market -- it's just that they don't want to waste a lot of effort pursuing it.
    That is a bit counter-intuitive. If that is your definition of a "prosumer", then it's those folks who make the highest demands and have more of the "keep up with the mobile phone Joneses" attitudes, and therefore would lead to them gaining more "casual users" by default. "Prosumer" the way I understand it would just be the more mature, professional (career wise instead of college age) consumers more concerned with what Blackberry has been touting lately, efficient communication/business devices that can rival a laptop with phone features. Not necessarily something to watch movies, make photo albums, and play games on although the devices will be capable of that. All just my opinion.
    09-24-13 01:34 AM
    I won't be surprised if they direct sell to consumers

Posted via CB10
    I hope they do

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 01:45 AM
    App development will take a major hit, BB said they would refocus on the enterprise why would someone like Instagram care to invest in a BB10 app for such a tiny market?

I think BB are trying to exit the hardware market completely, thats what Im reading between the lines of their non-sensical prosumer focus.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-24-13 01:54 AM
    Ha!

I expect the opposite. Developers are the reason for this platform to.flourish even behind corporate mdm rollout. Further prosumers require powerful solutions and applications catered to work in a highly mobile environment accessing real time data is paramount. I have deep.feeling we'll finally see more development towards what we've seen in those enterprise mobile videos - specifically.that sales force like app shown on a PlayBook in one of them. I've yet to see any application come close.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:05 AM
    App development will take a major hit, BB said they would refocus on the enterprise why would someone like Instagram care to invest in a BB10 app for such a tiny market?

I think BB are trying to exit the hardware market completely, thats what Im reading between the lines of their non-sensical prosumer focus.

Huh, and yet this is the kind of target market like Bloomberg is after. Insta****, is after consumers the hipsters nothing else.

Small markets can still generate significant profits.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:08 AM
    Huh, and yet this is the kind of target market like Bloomberg is after. Insta****, is after consumers the hipsters nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    And I have heard on the grapevine that Prem Watsa is rather partial to making a profit.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 03:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sure you could make money with a niche expensive app catering to corporates.
    But I would say this is not the market 99% of app developers are in right now just look at the charts on ios and android.

Plus will business consumers be willing to use a phone that will never get any of the popular apps? Surely business people still like to use Instagram, Netflix, Angry birds etc. The lack of mainstream apps will further reduce the attractiveness of the phone as a whole.

09-24-13 03:12 AM
    For me, they will still follow the path they are one (miserably(?) trying to reach the more users possible both consumers and entreprises.
    But where there are just crumbs left after droid and ios on the way, this will still get harder with the current managements and marketing strategics.
    W/ithout drastic changes, miracle is what left!
    09-24-13 03:55 AM
    This is a good thing. You have a weak board. Now there is an owner who will probably clean house. Upper management needs it. Badly.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 05:09 AM
    "Prosumer" the way I understand it would just be the more mature, professional (career wise instead of college age) consumers more concerned with what Blackberry has been touting lately, efficient communication/business devices that can rival a laptop with phone features. Not necessarily something to watch movies, make photo albums, and play games on although the devices will be capable of that. All just my opinion.
    Maybe they're thinking more of a productive consumer than a professional consumer. I don't know. The way "prosumer" is most often used is to describe a serious photography hobbiest/enthusiast who tends to use professional-grade equipment.
    09-24-13 05:58 PM