And how is it different from just plain ol' voicemail?

When I got my new BlackBerry and saw "visual voicemail," my first thought was that it somehow meant "video voicemail," but that didn't seem possible. What is the "visual" component? The fact that if you have a picture of the caller in your phone, the picture is on the screen while the voicemail plays? That's dumb.

Is there regular voicemail anymore in OS10? I've googled all around and can't find a straight answer.

Also, where is the voicemail indicator? In some of my googling, I've come across people who say it's a function of the carrier and AT&T (my carrier) has done away with the voicemail indicator icon and they have to reinstate it. Others have said that when they call AT&T, the CSR says it's the handset and nothing to do with the carrier. So which is it and is it possible to get the voicemail icon back or do you just have to check voicemail after every missed call?
    02-11-15 02:17 PM
    Just means you have a list of people that have left you a Voicemail and you can select which one you want to hear.
    As opposed to one notification telling you that you have several Voicemails

It's carrier dependable though.

Hope that makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:28 PM
    Visual voice-mail transcribes the actual callers voice into text. Allows you to view message without having to call voice-mail. Also allows you to play the recording, again without calling your voice mail.

It's also carrier dependent.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    hindsketchup238 likes this.
    02-11-15 02:35 PM
    Yes there's regular voicemail and I have it on my BB10 - I hate visual voicemail and had it cut off when they turned it on when it became active a long time ago. You just get a voicemail icon in your hub and on your screen saying you have a VM and you call to get it by pressing and holding the "1" option. Oh and I'm on ATT btw
    02-11-15 03:07 PM
    Visual voice-mail transcribes the actual callers voice into text. Allows you to view message without having to call voice-mail. Also allows you to play the recording, again without calling your voice mail.

It's also carrier dependent.

That's voice-to-text not visual voicemail. You can have visual voicemail without voice-to-text transcription (most people do).

Visual voicemail presents your voicemail in a visual list, like you'd see email or sms, allowing you to select which message to read/save/delete without having to listen to all of them to get to the one you want.
    02-11-15 03:17 PM
    Those explanations of visual voicemail were helpful. Thank you.

Yes there's regular voicemail and I have it on my BB10 - I hate visual voicemail and had it cut off when they turned it on when it became active a long time ago. You just get a voicemail icon in your hub and on your screen saying you have a VM and you call to get it by pressing and holding the "1" option. Oh and I'm on ATT btw
    I don't get ANY notification that I have a voicemail. When I have a missed call, I press the "1" just like I always did and the voice tells me "you have X unheard messages" -- no different from the way I've always accessed voicemail... EXCEPT the very important difference that I get no notification of the fact that there is a voicemail.
    02-11-15 03:21 PM

I don't get ANY notification that I have a voicemail. When I have a missed call, I press the "1" just like I always did and the voice tells me "you have X unheard messages" -- no different from the way I've always accessed voicemail... EXCEPT the very important difference that I get no notification of the fact that there is a voicemail.
    You need to call your provider and get them to reset the voicemail.
    02-11-15 03:32 PM
    Lillieperl:

Perhaps a bit more detail will help - I am on AT&T using Visual Voice Mail (VVM) and here is how it works :

1) Voice mails are downloaded to your phone as a .wav file - you can then play it, rewind and play again, save it, or delete it. The voice mail is not converted to text (at least on AT&T).

2) When you open the phone app - at the top is a tab labeled VVM (next to the ALL and MISSED tabs - select the VVM tab and all the voice mails are listed

3) If the VM is from someone who is one of your contacts, you will see their name and phone number noted on the VM listing.

4) If the VM is not from a contact, you will see their phone number.

Besides having the VM as a file on your device, you do not have to access voice mail to listen to the message - you only need to play the message

AT&T provides VVM at no additional cost (not sure about carriers) but you do have to have the VVM service turned on by the carrier.

I hope this is helpful.

Z10 - 10.3.1.1949 w/996 radio - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    Laura Knotek and ppeters914 like this.
    02-11-15 03:34 PM

I'm on AT&T and have a notification as well as an icon. Either AT&T hasn't provisioned your line properly(more then likely), or you have not setup VVM on your device. For the latter all you have to do is call your VM then hangup using the star. It Should set itself up after asking for your password. You should also get a notification(looks exactly like the old VM icon(tape cassete looking thing)), and a tab in the call log screen for VVM(3 tabs in the call log screen - All, Missed, and VVM), as well as a notification in the hub.

VVM is helpful when you get a VM and your outside of your coverage area, it will download the message to your device(happens when you get a notification), which you can then listen to regardless of whether you have service or not since its on your device. No need to call your VM.
    02-11-15 03:37 PM
    That's voice-to-text not visual voicemail. You can have visual voicemail without voice-to-text transcription (most people do).

Visual voicemail presents your voicemail in a visual list, like you'd see email or sms, allowing you to select which message to read/save/delete without having to listen to all of them to get to the one you want.
    Not according to Rogers. Exactly what I stated first. Here's a couple screen shots.

It allows me to view and/or listen to a message without calling.

What exactly IS "visual voicemail"?-vvm.png

Attached Thumbnails What exactly IS "visual voicemail"?-img_20150211_170345.png  
    02-11-15 05:09 PM
    Not according to Rogers. Exactly what I stated first. Here's a couple screen shots.

It allows me to view and/or listen to a message without calling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vvm.png 
Views:	712 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	333087

Rogers is an exception. VVM is generally like the screenshot below which shows what it looks like on Verizon and AT&T.

Attachment 333117
    Attached Thumbnails What exactly IS "visual voicemail"?-edited-voicemail.png  
    02-11-15 07:31 PM
    I'm on AT&T and have a notification as well as an icon. Either AT&T hasn't provisioned your line properly(more then likely), or you have not setup VVM on your device. For the latter all you have to do is call your VM then hangup using the star. It Should set itself up after asking for your password. You should also get a notification(looks exactly like the old VM icon(tape cassete looking thing)), and a tab in the call log screen for VVM(3 tabs in the call log screen - All, Missed, and VVM), as well as a notification in the hub.

VVM is helpful when you get a VM and your outside of your coverage area, it will download the message to your device(happens when you get a notification), which you can then listen to regardless of whether you have service or not since its on your device. No need to call your VM.
    I get the VVM prompt, and have the VVM tab, but none of the rest. Dialed VM, but pressing star asks me for my mailbox number. What's that?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-11-15 09:14 PM
    I get the VVM prompt, and have the VVM tab, but none of the rest. Dialed VM, but pressing star asks me for my mailbox number. What's that?

Who is your carrier? Different instructions depending on carrier.

Also, if you're running 10.3.1 on verizon, you have to do a "workaround" to get VVM to work.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 09:19 PM
    After spending a L-O-O-O-N-G time on the phone today with three AT&T CSRs my visual voicemail is now working. It really shouldn't be called visual voicemail. That's quite misleading. It should be called "voicemail log" or something. It's just a list of voicemails showing what number they were called from, so you don't have to listen to each of them in turn without knowing who called. The voicemail retrieval still works the same: push "1" and listen to the voicemails the old fashioned way or else select the individual voicemail listing in the hub and click on that to hear just that one. It's no big deal.

If you're having problems, do call the carrier and prepare to sit on the phone for a while.

To the poster whose visual voice mail converts them to text: cool!
    tjseaman likes this.
    02-11-15 09:41 PM
    Who is your carrier? Different instructions depending on carrier.

Also, if you're running 10.3.1 on verizon, you have to do a "workaround" to get VVM to work.

Posted via CB10
    Did you read my signature? AT&T

02-12-15 12:17 AM