...still works for me...I use my Passport as my personal device and brought back my Z30 for work when they offered me an Android...both have no issues...I've run my Z30 since launch, and my Passport the same.

The Passport battery is starting to show its age...as is the Z30's...but more than enough to get through the working day.

I have both on Blend/Link for server tie ins (personal cloud server) and maintenance.

I intend on using them until I can't keep them on.

...I also use them for much more than simple communication...

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 02:27 PM
    OK, so I've had my passport 3/4 weeks but I'm getting everything I need as yet. Email,sms,a little browsing,music and a few forums. I tried a few android apps and the Google play store just to see if they worked and they did but I have since deleted because I don't really use apps. I think the biggest hit on me would be if the browser stopped but until it does I'm not worried about it. I have an android but not through choice it a work phone which I only make and take calls and email on. Going back to the passport I have no complaints.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    05-16-18 02:47 PM
    I'm just worried that if I don't restore from a backup, I'll never get Blaq back, 'cause it's gone from the store.
    05-16-18 05:52 PM
    I'm just worried that if I don't restore from a backup, I'll never get Blaq back, 'cause it's gone from the store.
    That's a valid point. I don't have any apps that I'd worry about losing at this point.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-16-18 06:27 PM
    Just do selective app backups, so you don't end up having link screw up your device.
    05-16-18 06:39 PM
    Quick to jump to the defense, but slow to offer actual answers to support the original vague and muddy question...

OP if you have an issue... be specific as to what you need help with.

Generally, at this point there aren't many here using BB10, or willing to answer such a broad question.

But....

Alternate Browsers - today the better options are Android Bases as the native ones have many of the same issues.

Cobalt's Google Play Store, Whitelisting, Patching... searching for older versions of apps and then known what just won't work.

Autoloader... to get the latest update that might not be available on your device. Too BB10 runs better with fresh clear update every 4 - 6 months.

SEARCH.... is a new users best friend.

If your going to ask a question, be very specific and stay with one topic. Don't ask 10 questions in one post.
    The OP hasn't asked many questions and isn't looking for answers to a broad question. It's a thread to share BlackBerry 10 workarounds for the good of the remaining community. If you've moved on then unless your willing to share workarounds that you have previously relied upon then the thread isn't for you.

If an app doesn't work well I check out the mobile website, if it's as usable within the BlackBerry browser as the app then I remove the app to save space and click Add to Homescreen within the browser options.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 07:10 PM
    The OP hasn't asked many questions and isn't looking for answers to a broad question. It's a thread to share BlackBerry 10 workarounds for the good of the remaining community. If you've moved on then unless your willing to share workarounds that you have previously relied upon then the thread isn't for you.

If an app doesn't work well I check out the mobile website, if it's as usable within the BlackBerry browser as the app then I remove the app to save space and click Add to Homescreen within the browser options.

Posted via CB10
    I do the same thing both on my BB10 phones AND on my KEYone. I have no interest in sharing my personal data through an app if I can complete the same tasks through a privacy -oriented browser like Firefox Focus. Some apps require my information to provide a service, but many are just Web interfaces and I much prefer to access them anonymously via a browser.

05-16-18 08:06 PM
    I really miss Google Keep for notetaking.

I've found replacements for most everything else. And believe it or not, the native browser works fine for me.

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-18-18 02:58 AM
    If it wasn't for the banking apps I might still be on mine.
    I wish everyday that I could go back to my Passport.
    What are you using these days? The Oneplus?

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    05-18-18 07:50 AM

I think he has the 3T variant.
    05-18-18 08:45 AM
    OnePlus 6... it is impressive what OPPO is able to do with their "premium" line of phones. Too bad their little brother TCL isn't able to do the same with their "premium" line of phones too.
    05-18-18 10:20 AM

I think he has the 3T variant.
    Yep, I'm using the Oneplus 3T and it's still super fast. Even if android isn't as nice as BB10, the speed of the phone and apps that are up to date makes things very quick indeed.

Still waiting to see the actual KEY2 and specs. If it has good specs I may jump cause I miss my physical keyboard
    05-18-18 05:56 PM
    Just do selective app backups, so you don't end up having link screw up your device.
    Y'know, between the Priv and the KeyOne it's been so long since I've regularly used my BB10 phone I forgot Sachesi was a thing.

It's still a thing, right? I could just back up what I need and do a security wipe? It's been forever since I've done a security wipe, and I remember it always being much better after an update.
    05-19-18 08:52 AM
    Y'know, between the Priv and the KeyOne it's been so long since I've regularly used my BB10 phone I forgot Sachesi was a thing.

It's still a thing, right? I could just back up what I need and do a security wipe? It's been forever since I've done a security wipe, and I remember it always being much better after an update.
    Sachesi has a better chance of connecting to your device, but uses the same backup process as Link.
    05-19-18 08:53 AM
    Sachesi has a better chance of connecting to your device, but uses the same backup process as Link.
    I was about to say, it's probably been updated more recently than Link, and I just checked the Github page, and apparently there's a new Linux version that's only seven days old, but the Windows release is from 2015? So probably still more recent than Link. =P
    05-19-18 08:57 AM
    Uuuuuugh, Link and Sachesi both get around 50% into the backup and they both crash. I wonder if it's something software-side on the phone, or a hardware issue with the USB connection (used half a dozen different cables at this point).

Still can't figure out why I can't log into Twittly (though Mr. Nemory said he was looking into it, the wonderful person he is), and I'm definitely losing Blaq at this rate...

Or I can just not do a reset. It's working *alright*, but I'm running into a lot of "Unable to install" with Android apps that I've read could be fixed with a reset... Decisions, decisions...
    05-19-18 11:28 AM
    OnePlus 6... it is impressive what OPPO is able to do with their "premium" line of phones. Too bad their little brother TCL isn't able to do the same with their "premium" line of phones too.
    Did you say your using a Oneplus 6 now?

My understanding is that it won't be released for a couple days!? 22 May.

How did you swing that?

05-19-18 11:40 AM
    Uuuuuugh, Link and Sachesi both get around 50% into the backup and they both crash. I wonder if it's something software-side on the phone, or a hardware issue with the USB connection (used half a dozen different cables at this point).

Still can't figure out why I can't log into Twittly (though Mr. Nemory said he was looking into it, the wonderful person he is), and I'm definitely losing Blaq at this rate...

Or I can just not do a reset. It's working *alright*, but I'm running into a lot of "Unable to install" with Android apps that I've read could be fixed with a reset... Decisions, decisions...
    Honestly, you should not need to backup anything.

Use the cloud!!

Restoring anything with Link/Sachesi/DBBT is inviting disaster.
    05-19-18 11:49 AM
    Honestly, you should not need to backup anything.

Use the cloud!!
    The hardest part is putting in the effort to switch my 2FA to another device for the duration of the wipe/setup, then putting it back...
    05-19-18 11:51 AM
    In my opinion, BB10 users really stretch in justifying their continued operation. I think that the reality is that they like to swim against the current. They like the challenge of keeping their old phones working as long as they can even if it means using more than one phone.

Nothing wrong with that. It is a fun hobby.
    Well, I think it all comes down to individual needs as opposed to any desire to swim against the current.
    My Passport does everything I need it to do without much tinkering or patching at all. I am not married to any one app that I can't live without: or find an alternative. I would much rather use an app that isn't ideal but works than switch phones.

I haven't found keeping the Passport running any more challenging than using any other 4 year old phone.

05-19-18 11:56 AM
    Here's my response to the OP:

I don't try to make my BB10 phones do anything they don't do really well. I use them for audio playback from lossless and MP3 files, OneDrive sync, the glorious Hub for email, SMS and BBM, calendar (synced with Outlook.com, MS Exchange and Google), Contacts (synced with Outlook.com, MS Exchange and Google), Tasks (synced with oitlook.com and MS exchange), and notes (synced with MS Exchange).

I use stock Maps, Music and Video apps. I use Kindle for BB10, and a handful of other apps from the BlackBerry World app store. I do NOT load any APKs or Amazon store apps because I don't find them generally reliable. I use the stock BlackBerry browser, and I save Web sites as shortcuts in folders.

When I'm carrying my BB10 as my primary phone, my workaround for anything I want to do that Bb10 doesn't support well is to use a PC (preferred) or my BlackBerry KEYone Android that I double carry. I end up using it 3-4 times a week when it's my secondary phone.

Increasingly, I have been trying to carry my KEYone As my primary phone, but I find it much less valuable than my BB10 phones, so that when I try to use it as primary, I find myself avoiding using Mobile altogether. That's not actually a bad thing, so I may do it more often.

Here, here...I could not have said it any better myself.

I use the Passport as designed using mostly stock BB apps. I am even finding some of them more handy than expected as I learn how to use them better. BB10 is a very robust and feature packed OS. I am still learning after 5 years. For example, did you know that you can have a webpage read out load to you using the browser Reader function?

Of course I still have had to adapt my usage to the apps available and had to switch from a favorite Android app to a BB one but no worries. Making it more difficult is that I try to find cross platform apps as I also use Android daily.

Some of the main apps I now use are (along with all of the built in BB apps)

Remember
    Box
    Noted
    Password Keeper
    BBM

I use two Android apps from Amazon:
    FlickrUp
    Lean for Instapaper
    (my hardest challenge has been finding an Instapaper client that works well and cross-platorm Cloud storage, for auto up loading photos)

My one Android APK is Apple Music which surprisingly works fine.

dmlis likes this.
    05-19-18 12:14 PM
    Here, here...I could not have said it any better myself.

I use the Passport as designed using mostly stock BB apps. I am even finding some of them more handy than expected as I learn how to use them better. BB10 is a very robust and feature packed OS. I am still learning after 5 years. For example, did you know that you can have a webpage read out load to you using the browser Reader function?

Of course I still have had to adapt my usage to the apps available and had to switch from a favorite Android app to a BB one but no worries. Making it more difficult is that I try to find cross platform apps as I also use Android daily.

Some of the main apps I now use are (along with all of the built in BB apps)

Remember
    Box
    Noted
    Password Keeper
    BBM

I use two Android apps from Amazon:
    FlickrUp
    Lean for Instapaper
    (my hardest challenge has been finding an Instapaper client that works well and cross-platorm Cloud storage, for auto up loading photos)

My one Android APK is Apple Music which surprisingly works fine.

The reader function for the browser in BB10 is 100x better than the Android accessibility settings that will only read the part of the page visible on the screen!

Haivu1945 and dmlis like this.
    05-19-18 12:22 PM
    Hah, after all that worrying, Blaq is still showing up in the "Available" section of BB World for me. Doesn't show up in searches, but it's there in my history. Clicking on the app gives me a $1.99 price that then gives me "invalid price", but if I go back and just hit the arrow next to it, it downloads just fine.
    05-19-18 02:01 PM
    The only thing that I really don't trust my Passport with is apps.

I rely on the 7Plus to do that.

I try to keep the Passport for business and communication and the 7Plus for what I consider fluff.

That's where I keep the social media accounts, games, and other stuff that the Passport can't "handle".

05-19-18 04:55 PM
    The only thing that I really don't trust my Passport with is apps.

I rely on the 7Plus to do that.

I try to keep the Passport for business and communication and the 7Plus for what I consider fluff.

That's where I keep the social media accounts, games, and other stuff that the Passport can't "handle".

That sounds similar to what I've done with my BB10 phones and KEYone. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have a beast of a phone that keeps me focused on the tasks that improve my professional life and drive financial performance and a handy phone for any mobile apps I find I need, without compromising my work phone.

Of course, I pay an extra $150 a year in service plus an annualized rate of $180 per year to purchasie that second phone. So, I pay a total of $330 a year to have that second Android phone. It's probably not really worth it for me, but I like playing with technology and learning all the ins and outs of Android, so it's a relatively cheap hobby with the side benefit of being occasionally convenient.

05-19-18 05:09 PM
92 1234