What does BlackBerry 10 offer (app wise) that other platforms don't?

Marketing is everything
    08-24-13 07:47 PM
    Nothing. It's all about the OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 07:52 PM
    Well for me I do not play games on my phones I have game consoles for that. For what I need BB10 apps has what I use the most. Number of apps for me does equate superiority. I have owned amdroid as well as iPhones and in my experience a lot of the ones I have seen I will never use and are redundant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    adamlau likes this.
    08-24-13 07:54 PM
    Built into the OS are BBM, Dropbox and Evernote, remote file share, pic and video editor plus Storymaker.
    Remember app that is similar to Evernote and integrates into other parts of the OS, some kind of games app I have never used. Android runtime included to sideload android app s, NFC smart tags, and probably more that I am missing

Specialty apps in BBWORLD might include Face flow, Blaq, etc. Some nice built for BlackBerry apps in BBworld
    Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    08-24-13 08:34 PM
    Built into the OS are BBM, Dropbox and Evernote, remote file share, pic and video editor plus Storymaker.
    Remember app that is similar to Evernote and integrates into other parts of the OS, some kind of games app I have never used. Android runtime included to sideload android app s, NFC smart tags, and probably more that I am missing

All of what you said are in other platforms, there's no integration maybe, but the truth is the apps are there, of course, except for the built in editors and story maker

Marketing is everything
    08-24-13 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    You couldn't have said it better. It is exactly how it is. In the real world the only thing that is better than others is the OS, and when people can't find their fav apps, the weight comes in. Yesterday I deleted about 15 of my family contacts in bbm because all of them migrated to other platforms. All of them had bbos.

One of them is selling his Z10, he argues that when bbm comes for other platforms the price of his Z10 will drop too much. And although he loves bb10 a lot the lack of apps is too much of a hassle for him. He mentioned Google Maps, and the only replacement for that is BeMaps 10. But you have to pay for that and he's not willing to pay for it when in other platforms is free...

Today another cousin is selling her bb os device to get a Galaxy S3mini. I told her I'll give her $200 bucks to complete for the Q10 and she says I wanna get away from BlackBerry for a while, she says she wants something different....

I tried to convince her that BlackBerry 10 is different, really different but she's not really interested...

Both of them live in Dominican Republic, where BlackBerry market was really strong a couple of years ago. Now everyone is into WhatsApp.

So yeah, in my experience dealing with all of this, the things stopping BlackBerry in the US at least is lack of aggressive marketing and good apps.

Marketing is everything
    08-24-13 08:51 PM
    Wow, paying people to buy the phone. Can I have the $200 anyway? I won't get a Q10, but I will say thank you!
    08-24-13 10:51 PM
    Today another cousin is selling her bb os device to get a Galaxy S3mini. I told her I'll give her $200 bucks to complete for the Q10 and she says I wanna get away from BlackBerry for a while, she says she wants something different
    Man, why exactly would you do that?
    08-24-13 10:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thats exactly the attitude BlackBerry had that brought them from over 50% of the market share to less than 5%.
    Bottom line is that apps are crucial for the survival of any mobile platform. When many users today circumvent there PC and use there phone more and more, apps are very important. If apps aren't important you may as well just stick to a flip phone. Yes, the functionality and features of the OS are important as well, but i would say that app availability is probably the #1 concern facing a new smartphone consumer.
    Anyhoo, to answer the OP's original question, the BlackBerry World app selection isn't great, but it's getting better. For the most part, i have all the apps i need/want. LinkedIn, maps, soundhound, Bell TV, TD Bank etc. There are a few major apps missing for me to be completely satisfied like Netflix and Instagram. The ecosystem is not great, but its not bad either and it has actually gotten a lot better in the last 30 days.
    As far as the OS itself goes, it is arguably the most efficient of all. I actually used to be quite critical of BB10 coming from iOS. But i actually realized how BB10 is actually a more efficient and streamlined OS with better 'multitasking' than ios or android. Android is probably the most cumbersome and inefficient of them all but since its open source and there are multiple hardware vendors to chose from (samsung, sony, htc etc) it boasts the highest user base. Even iOS 7 has taken a page out of the BB10 playbook by using more gesture based usage and quick launch swipes.
    Last edited by d3r3k79; 08-25-13 at 12:32 AM.
    08-25-13 12:19 AM

Specialty apps in BBWORLD might include Face flow, Blaq, etc. Some nice built for BlackBerry apps in BBworld
    Evernote is not built into the OS and Remember is a pale, weak attempt to try and copy it.

The single most glaring deficiency for me with the damned BB10 is the lack of an Evernote app.

It will not be coming either. With declining market presence and the "for sale" sign out, I don't expect to see any meaningful 3rd party app development at this point.

BB10 at this point is an orphan.
    08-25-13 02:07 AM
    We have a lot of apps no others don't. But if your not a BlackBerry user you won't know them

I know this for a fact as j have about 80 apps I made that are bbry only such as:
    - Secure Browser with cross browser emulation
    - Secure AntiVirus (which actually scans your files)

Html wysiwyg live editors, true BBS style Telnet applications... true layer level image editors.

Etc etc. I'd say we have about 30k good apps that are BlackBerry only now .

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-25-13 02:18 AM
    Evernote is not built into the OS and Remember is a pale, weak attempt to try and copy it.

The single most glaring deficiency for me with the damned BB10 is the lack of an Evernote app.

It will not be coming either. With declining market presence and the "for sale" sign out, I don't expect to see any meaningful 3rd party app development at this point.

I agree 100%; I'm different from a lot of you. I use my Q10 for talking, texting and email--nothing else. I have a tablet and a TV if, anything else is necessary. Like BB, I am a dying breed.
    08-25-13 02:25 AM
    I agree 100%; I'm different from a lot of you. I use my Q10 for talking, texting and email--nothing else. I have a tablet and a TV if, anything else is necessary. Like BB, I am a dying breed.
    BlackBerry is not dying. The transitional period is only half way through. The big name apps are on their way, Instagram has been confirmed very soon. BBM going cross platform is going to provide BlackBerry with the ability to advertise for free on the handsets of the competition right in their face with pictures and videos to demonstrate features. Sixty days and the picture will be much less bleak. I'm not arguing now, but if I'm wrong, feel free to make me look like a chump in sixty days.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 Uk
    08-25-13 04:01 AM
    Oh, BlackBerry travel is indispensable to me.

08-25-13 04:02 AM
    ARKick and Pacemaker are exclusive to BB10. Enough said.
    08-25-13 04:14 AM
    At the moment, it offers disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 06:09 AM
    Do trolls get together and pull topics out of a hat to chose each week? Seems that this week is apps.

Let's focus in on apps and how since they don't have the same apps as iPhone them BlackBerry is doomed.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    08-25-13 06:40 AM
    What does the iPhone offer left handed users? My grandads 1954 telephone makes and receives calls perfectly fine for lefties lol. Ive got first hand experience of what Samsung galaxy s3's offer clumsy kids. Broken phones.

08-25-13 06:47 AM
    Oh, BlackBerry travel is indispensable to me.

Agreed. It's a great app. BBRY's in-house apps are pretty solid. I love Password Keeper, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Traffic was great but I think it's now integrated with BlackBerry Maps (haven't tried it though). But in terms of third party apps, there's really little that is useful or well made. I have a Q10 that I got for free. I would not have paid for a BB10 device because, for me, my 9900 is really the cat's pajamas. For the things I do with my semi-smart phone, BB10 has no advantages over OS7 other than perhaps better hardware/resources (ie: no spinning wheel of death).

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 07:02 AM

Not sure WTF you are talking about. Evernote App is disabled in the latest10.2 but an app is there so it is coming. There was a working leak. http://m.crackberry.com/leaked-nativ...-blackberry-10. There is also your sideload option. So you have 3 options for your precious Evernote. I would expect a full native in 10.2 soon. BB10 is not an orphan at this point and there is still major app development going on right now.

08-25-13 07:13 AM
    There's nothing really special with the app store on BB 10 it is mainly about the OS and how user friendly the interface is.

It's all in the hips.
    08-25-13 07:22 AM
    Agreed. It's a great app. BBRY's in-house apps are pretty solid. I love Password Keeper, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Traffic was great but I think it's now integrated with BlackBerry Maps (haven't tried it though). But in terms of third party apps, there's really little that is useful or well made. I have a Q10 that I got for free. I would not have paid for a BB10 device because, for me, my 9900 is really the cat's pajamas. For the things I do with my semi-smart phone, BB10 has no advantages over OS7 other than perhaps better hardware/resources (ie: no spinning wheel of death).

Posted via CB10
    I had a 9900 and was happy with it for the things that I needed. In particular, the Drivesafe.ly app was indispensable. The things I like in BB10 are speed for anything that requires Internet, large screen (Z10) and ease of sharing. The apps I use are mainly utility apps like Clipman or London tube map or news and Kindle/Kobo. The App gap doesn't really affect me other than the lack of TuGo on O2 and Evernote app. Nutshell, I'm happy. I'm glad it appears that some big name apps are on the way but I won't use them.

08-25-13 07:23 AM
    Not sure WTF you are talking about. Evernote App is disabled in the latest10.2 but an app is there so it is coming. There was a working leak. http://m.crackberry.com/leaked-nativ...-blackberry-10. There is also your sideload option. So you have 3 options for your precious Evernote. I would expect a full native in 10.2 soon. BB10 is not an orphan at this point and there is still major app development going on right now.

Many people who use BB use them as part of a corporate program. iT policies disable things like "side-loading" or using "leaks". When an official release of 10.2 comes along, if, and that release contains a native Evernote then I will be happy. And yes it is a "precious" app for me. I use my phone for talking, email and note taking (difficult with the abysmal keyboard) and reference.

BTW your response contains two choices, not three, but that's hair splitting. Believe it or not many people just want to use the device, not screw around with "side-loading" or "leaks". Until I see a Native app, whether embedded or not, the BB10 is a cripple for me.

And yes, it is an orphan, whether you like it or not.
    08-25-13 07:28 AM
    I had a 9900 and was happy with it for the things that I needed. In particular, the Drivesafe.ly app was indispensable. The things I like in BB10 are speed for anything that requires Internet, large screen (Z10) and ease of sharing. The apps I use are mainly utility apps like Clipman or London tube map or news and Kindle/Kobo. The App gap doesn't really affect me other than the lack of TuGo on O2 and Evernote app. Nutshell, I'm happy. I'm glad it appears that some big name apps are on the way but I won't use them.

Like you, I'm not too bothered by the lack of apps. What really bothers me is the lack of great features carried over from the legacy device.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 10:11 AM
    Many people who use BB use them as part of a corporate program. iT policies disable things like "side-loading" or using "leaks". When an official release of 10.2 comes along, if, and that release contains a native Evernote then I will be happy. And yes it is a "precious" app for me. I use my phone for talking, email and note taking (difficult with the abysmal keyboard) and reference.

BTW your response contains two choices, not three, but that's hair splitting. Believe it or not many people just want to use the device, not screw around with "side-loading" or "leaks". Until I see a Native app, whether embedded or not, the BB10 is a cripple for me.

And yes, it is an orphan, whether you like it or not.
    Your 3 options are to utilize Evernote as is integrated into the Hub And Remember app, utilize an OS with a working Evernote app, or sideload the Android version. If Evernote is that important, your IT dept should do what it has to to make it work.

I fail to see how BBRY Is an orphan. Because Prem Watsa left the board? Your comments are part of the problem, not a solution.

08-25-13 10:46 AM
28 12