View Poll Results: What will be the adoption rates for BB World usage once Android markets are introduced?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • BB World adoption will experience short term stagnation and long term growth

2 28.57%
  • BB World adoption will experience short term growth and long term stagnation

0 0%
  • BB World adoption will experience both short and long term stagnation

3 42.86%
  • BB World adoption will experience both short and long term growth

2 28.57%
    Hello all,

Note: My post is in response to BerryLeak's recent thread on Android market support now being used in 10.2.1.1055. You can find the thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...ores-p-872906/

I'm posting this thread to get people's opinions and reactions on what they feel will be the ramifications towards BB World now that the newly leaked 10.2.1.1055 supports various Android markets and direct .apk installations. As I've seen with most users on CB, this new Android support is generally being hailed as a saving grace for BB10. Blackberry's new OS now has the ability to easily install thousands upon thousands of apps that were, short of sideloading, unavailable to the general BB10 public.

While I agree that integration with the Android markets will help boost BB10's approachability for new users to the platform, I can't help but ponder the effect that this new app selection is going to have on BB World and the developers who question creating native apps for BB10. And perhaps this Android integration is required, at this point, for BB10 to stay afloat as a competitive OS in the mobile industry. I see that as a probability. But I'm asking here about possible long term effects to the BB marketplace and the perception that current and new developers will have when deciding if creating and maintaining a native BB app is worth the investment.

I feel as though BB10 is selling its soul in order to stay relevant. I mean, what will BB10 be when the majority of apps being installed are under the Android runtime? Without apps natively supporting really helpful BB10 features like cascading, I'd feel like the OS would just be another Android device with a uniquely BB10 user interface. The BB10 experience would be described as a split personality: The OS UI being true BB10, and the apps being Android-based running under an Android design.

So my question to you all is: Can we say we are still getting the full BB10 experience with the Android markets filling the app gap? Is the full BB10 experience even worth it if the lack of apps in BB World is one of the key aspects keeping the public at large away? BB10 may be saved by the Android markets, but what does this mean, in the long run, for BB World, BB10 app developers, and BB10 as a whole?

I'm interested to hear people's remarks. I've added a poll just in case some users would rather not type out their opinion on the subject.

Author's Note: And please remember, this is all speculation. Obviously, we don't know yet how the introduction of easily accessible Android markets will affect the BB10 platform overall, but I can only assume that this method of app selection will be widely adopted very shortly.
    Last edited by KoreyTM; 11-13-13 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added link to BerryLeaks thread about Android market support in 10.2.1.1055
    11-13-13 10:51 AM
    After those IDC numbers that were discussed yesterday, I'm not sure what could turn all this around, Android or no Android...
    KoreyTM likes this.
    11-13-13 10:56 AM
    The 10.2.1 allows for APK installs....NOT Android Market (Google Play) running on the phone.....the pics that they showed of Google Play running on BB10 have been confirmed to be FAKES......Other than being easier to install Android apps on the BB10 platform, it doesn't really have any more advantage than side-loading......I have all the apps I want on my Z10....NetFlix, Instagram, PvsZ, Sirius XM, Pandora...few other APKs converted to BAR files...the problem is....phone retail stores are biased.....i've encountered a number of times when I went into phone stores looking at the Blackberry Z10 and they tried to tell me "you don't want this....." or "it don't have hardly anything as far as apps, you can't even install NetFlix or Instagram"....one of these places was in the mall that I go to from time to time and I went back into that Verizon store and showed the guy that I got a Z10 off someone else and showed him NetFlix and Instagram WORKING on it...he was like "how did you do that?"....I told him its via side-loading, and it doesn't require "hacking" or "jailbreaking".....you just simply install the unlocked runtime like you would any other BAR file......then install NetFlix and other BAR files via side-loading thru the web browser...(i can't pronounce 'Sachesi' so I just left it as web browser)........the problem is....these carriers aren't even EDUCATED in these devices....they get a device (in his case, he had an Android device) they like and knock every other one.....he was knocking iOS, Blackberry and WP (but who doesn't knock WP...it really does suck)
    howarmat and just_luc like this.
    11-13-13 10:59 AM
    The 10.2.1 allows for APK installs....NOT Android Market (Google Play) running on the phone.....the pics that they showed of Google Play running on BB10 have been confirmed to be FAKES......Other than being easier to install Android apps on the BB10 platform, it doesn't really have any more advantage than side-loading......I have all the apps I want on my Z10....NetFlix, Instagram, PvsZ, Sirius XM, Pandora...few other APKs converted to BAR files...the problem is....phone retail stores are biased.....i've encountered a number of times when I went into phone stores looking at the Blackberry Z10 and they tried to tell me "you don't want this....." or "it don't have hardly anything as far as apps, you can't even install NetFlix or Instagram"....one of these places was in the mall that I go to from time to time and I went back into that Verizon store and showed the guy that I got a Z10 off someone else and showed him NetFlix and Instagram WORKING on it...he was like "how did you do that?"....I told him its via side-loading, and it doesn't require "hacking" or "jailbreaking".....you just simply install the unlocked runtime like you would any other BAR file......then install NetFlix and other BAR files via side-loading thru the web browser...(i can't pronounce 'Sachesi' so I just left it as web browser)........the problem is....these carriers aren't even EDUCATED in these devices....they get a device (in his case, he had an Android device) they like and knock every other one.....he was knocking iOS, Blackberry and WP (but who doesn't knock WP...it really does suck)
    Have you seen this post yet, Adam Fox2? I should probably have included this in my original post. I will update it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...ores-p-872906/
    11-13-13 11:10 AM
    I believe that this will make the "made for blackberry" apps more valuable.

IMHO apps ported from android or ios are ok as the bring the funtionality but i feel very uncomfortable with them as they do not use bbos10 possibilities (swipe gestures and usability). As an example, i hate having a "back" button on the top left corner or a button called options instead of swiping down from top

Posted via CB10
    KoreyTM likes this.
    11-13-13 11:17 AM
    When the PlayBook was announced we were promised the ability to run BBOS (then at OS6) and Android apps. This was very exciting for me as I realized that native apps would be slow to come. Of course, BBOS support was abandoned and then the PlayBook was put out to pasture (though I still happily use mine).

Today I feel the same way about Android on BB10. While I prefer native apps, if they don't exist or don't fit the bill, then I'm thrilled to have the ability to run a suitable Android app. I can't wait for 10.2.1. I'm so impatient, I'll load the leaked build as soon as it shows up for my Z10 variant.

Posted via CB10
    KoreyTM likes this.
    11-13-13 11:25 AM
    Sell their soul? Come on man, one gapping hole in BB is the lack of apps in comparison to the big two. I see android apps as possibly saving their soul.
    KoreyTM likes this.
    11-13-13 07:43 PM
    Sell their soul? Come on man, one gapping hole in BB is the lack of apps in comparison to the big two. I see android apps as possibly saving their soul.
    I just think that the adoption of the Android markets is a double-edged sword. I will agree, the new infusion of apps into the hands of BB users will definitely help BB stay relevant in a world that requires a plethora of apps. The flip side to this, I'd argue, is that BB's App World may get sidelined in the wake of all these Android apps. This could possibly make BB app developers question their future in creating native apps for the platform. The pro's and con's here are certainly debatable; and given the way the poll is going, it's telling to see that people aren't agreeing with the possible state of BB World once the Android markets become integrated.
    11-18-13 09:48 AM