04-02-17 12:22 PM
187 ... 678
tools
    Of you want to use email, you need an account. If you want to use cloud storage, you need an account. If you want to use anti-theft, you need an account. What's the issue?
    The issue is that our law forbids the need for an account when using a smartphone, even with anti-theft enabled.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    03-26-17 12:12 AM
    The issue is that our law forbids the need for an account when using a smartphone, even with anti-theft enabled.

[citation needed]
    03-26-17 12:14 AM

I call BS. What country specifically enforces anti-theft without the use of an account? There is no implementation I'm aware of that can do that - not Android, not BB10, not Apple.
    03-26-17 12:15 AM
    I call BS. What country specifically enforces anti-theft without the use of an account? There is no implementation I'm aware of that can do that - not Android, not BB10, not Apple.
    Call it whatever you want and maybe "forbid" wasn't the right thing to say, but I can only go by what I've been told by several lawyers:

"Dear Vistaus,

The law says that a phone needs to work as a phone (being able to make calls, receive and send text messages and being able to receive NL Alert). By making it mandatory to sign up (or log in using) for a (3rd party) account, access to phone functionality is restricted, (esp. in the case of NL Alert which needs at least a working 2G connection) [added by me: NL Alert is set to replace the old alarm towers outside, so having NL Alert is mandatory in order to know if there's been a disaster or tornado or whatever]. Furthermore, by making it mandatory to have a working account anti-theft also totally restricts access to all of those things.
    Furthermore, when it comes to privacy, the law also states that it's illegal to receive and use information to find someone's whereabouts (Wbp, art. 8, sub f), such as the information received in "Find my phone functionality", which is part of most anti-theft implementations these days (which in turn also makes it illegal to go get your phone (or any other stolen goods) back without police intervention). The exception being if the person in question has given permission for that [added by me: but thieves don't wanna be found, so are they really going to give you permission for that?] or if police officers have an official order to find someone's whereabouts."

(side note: the European Commission has also complained to Google about breaking the rules regarding the bundling of Google services on Android http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-1492_en.htm, but not sure if that's also applicable to a Google account, so it may be unrelated here)

So as you can see, it's questionably legal to make an account mandatory. But "Find my phone functionality" is truly illegal, so anti-theft itself isn't even fully legal here. Yet no manufacturer has complied yet, which is what they should do, according to you.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 03-26-17 at 04:13 AM.
    03-26-17 04:01 AM
    Btw, I wonder if it would be as illegal as you guys think to update the Android Runtime. On the one hand, there's Google's rules. But on the other hand, the European Commission has stated

"that Google has breached EU antitrust rules by preventing manufacturers from selling smart mobile devices running on competing operating systems based on the Android open source code;"

Wouldn't that invalidate Google's rules regarding (BB's) Android Runtime in the European Union? If so, they could update the Runtime in Europe.
    NOTE: I know that BB10 is pretty much dead at this point, including the Runtime, I'm just asking about the THEORETICAL possibility.
    03-26-17 04:12 AM

Wouldn't that invalidate Google's rules regarding (BB's) Android Runtime in the European Union? If so, they could update the Runtime in Europe.
    NOTE: I know that BB10 is pretty much dead at this point, including the Runtime, I'm just asking about the THEORETICAL possibility.
    Ultimately it would have to be decided in court. BlackBerry has little to gain to upset Google by challenging them, nor do they have the money for the fight.
    03-26-17 08:34 AM

So as you can see, it's questionably legal to make an account mandatory. But "Find my phone functionality" is truly illegal, so anti-theft itself isn't even fully legal here. Yet no manufacturer has complied yet, which is what they should do, according to you.
    Again, this would have to be decided in the courts. I have little doubt that the phone makers would win this one. Anti-theft is a matter of public safety, and I see no other way of implementing it.
    03-26-17 08:38 AM
    Furthermore, by making it mandatory to have a working account anti-theft also totally restricts access to all of those things.
    Doesn't this mean that the law is referring to the case where anti-theft is always enabled? The point that Conite referred, I believe, is that anti-theft is optionally enabled, thus it comprises with the law, because you would still have access to the aforementioned functionalities.
    03-26-17 10:51 AM
    1. Bb10 BBM cross-platform
    2. Make payment options accept paypal
    Are those too much to ask????

Posted from BlackBerry Passport.
    04-01-17 08:34 AM
    You're so right on that.

Can BlackBerry fix the damn PayPal not working issue already? What a joke.

I read somewhere that if you change the pw to a non-complex pw it may work but why on earth would I do that?
    04-01-17 08:38 AM
    I want a 10.3.4 developer beta.
    It will be too funny when folks ignore the warnings, load it on their daily driver and blame BlackBerry.
    04-02-17 09:52 AM
    I want a 10.3.4 developer beta.
    It will be too funny when folks ignore the warnings, load it on their daily driver and blame BlackBerry.
    Why pin on screen?

Why no apps?

When INDIA???????
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-02-17 12:22 PM
187 ... 678