The BlackBerry brand has become a detriment to a lot of people. It's currently not cool. And people don't want to be aligned with something not cool. This is just my observation, not my belief.

I have a friend who had a Curve and moved to an IPhone a couple of years ago. All his friends had iPhones and that was a huge influence. (he's a 62 year old accountant by the way) And he was so frustrated with the crappy browser in bbos. Seems like smart phones are like a fashion statement and people usually are afraid to be different in that regard. It is just human nature.

My friend hardly uses any of the iPhone apps. He could probably be better off with a new BlackBerry but we lost him. And the only way he'd go back to the BlackBerry is if enough of his friends went back to BlackBerry.

He's very typical of the general public, in my view.

He's

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    03-25-15 09:59 PM
    Nokia had great hardware, but they had to sell their business to Microsoft because they couldn't make money from it. How would BlackBerry fair better?
    They would release an Android device tailored for enterprise. Microsoft could leverage BlackBerry's extensive existing worldwide carrier agreements to introduce a Windows Phone designed by BlackBerry.
    03-25-15 10:06 PM
    Didn't say that either.
    I know, it was a joke...
    BlackBerry doesn't know what they want, and this is not a joke.
    03-25-15 10:06 PM
    Imo it's all about eco systems BlackBerry doesn�t have one. I have a pp for communications and a iPhone for media.

Software looks to be the better place to spend money.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:23 AM
    Well I should think that would be rather obvious - MARKETING! Blackberry needs to start sinking some $$ into an ad campaign that will get everyone's attention. Take a note from the Samsung page. Shoot even Windows Phone got a big boost when they came out with the Lumia 1020 ads. Those were great and people didn't like Windows before that either. By the way, the Lumia Windows Phones are definitely worth it but who would have known without those ads? Blackberry can get the word out with a good ad campaign. WTH are they waiting for?
    03-26-15 07:16 AM
    Imo it's all about eco systems BlackBerry doesn’t have one. I have a pp for communications and a iPhone for media.

Software looks to be the better place to spend money.

Posted via CB10
    It would definitely hope to improve that but I will say this; The ability to work around missing apps is much easier with BB10 and the Passport. I am basically able to access everything I need to now thru various means. I couldn't say that with past Blackberries. Sure, it could certainly be made easier with a better developed ecosystem but the way it stands now, I am more than set with what I have and hopefully will see improvements down the road. I don't think I'll go away from BB again (assuming they continue to put out devices like the Passport)
    03-26-15 07:20 AM
    The ability to work around missing apps is much easier with BB10 and the Passport. I am basically able to access everything I need to now thru various means. I couldn't say that with past Blackberries.
    The average consumer doesn't want to put in the effort. I know a lot of people who aren't interested in signing up for a second app store. They just want native apps to be there.
    03-26-15 07:57 AM
    So, birdman_38 what exactly would you have BlackBerry do? Put a gun to developers' heads to force them to provide the native apps?
    03-26-15 08:58 AM
    So, birdman_38 what exactly would you have BlackBerry do? Put a gun to developers' heads to force them to provide the native apps?
    Not much they can do anymore. That ship has sailed. Unless they adopt another platform's design language or something. But BB10 is still in the chicken and the egg scenario.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 03-26-15 at 09:20 AM.
    03-26-15 09:05 AM
    No android runtime! Only unique pure BlackBerry 10 with cascade and headless apps allowed! Hub only on BlackBerry 10 phones! Remove the android runtime so that they are free of Android security vulnerabilities in Android Emulator. No need amazob app store as it causes headache for BlackBerry too! No more Android for BlackBerry! It is time for a pure QNX experience.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    03-26-15 09:11 AM
    Heavy marketing focused on consumers
    Competitive prices for higher specs

Both require money, something BlackBerry simply doesn't have enough of it to spend it on these aspects.

I also think that they should make a deep approach in China's market
    03-26-15 09:20 AM
    Advertising might help. Just a thought.
    03-26-15 09:34 AM
    I know, it was a joke...
    BlackBerry doesn't know what they want, and this is not a joke.
    Chen knows what BB wants and he's openly stated it (repeatedly), but few here want to hear. And this is not a joke either!
    03-26-15 09:37 AM
    I really think that the slider could be a big win for them. When I play with my old Torch and think about how awesome it was, and how we really haven't had a slider design from anyone since smartphones took off. It really does blend the need for a physical keyboard with a large full touch screen device. I think the market will be there for that but it definitely needs a bit of help from advertising.
    Maybe a good name would be the BlackBerry 'Phoenix'...

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-26-15 09:50 AM
    Create an incentive program for sales people. Give them a phone. Real commission.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 09:54 AM
    - Remove Android runtime from BB10.
    - Release an Android device with full Google Services
    - Release a Windows 10 device
    I've often wondered if BES and Exchange wouldn't have made a good marriage ten years ago. But I think MS is well on their way to not needing what BlackBerry has.

But I do really like where Windows 10 is going and how MS has been able to get Windows to actually work pretty well on what would have been mimim hardware for a Windows PC a few years ago. But they are sadly in the same boat as BlackBerry when it comes to developer support. I think MS taught that HTML 5 and Internet Apps was the future... and that so far hasn't been the case.
    03-26-15 10:05 AM
    I really think that the slider could be a big win for them. When I play with my old Torch and think about how awesome it was, and how we really haven't had a slider design from anyone since smartphones took off. It really does blend the need for a physical keyboard with a large full touch screen device. I think the market will be there for that but it definitely needs a bit of help from advertising.
    Maybe a good name would be the BlackBerry 'Phoenix'...

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I saw on another thread "BB Torque"... Which is a clever nod to the Torch past and conjures images of controlled power. Wish I'd thought of it... LOL

I too like the idea of the slider, but... I've been disappointed so often by BB that I'm expecting this will also end badly. The sub-$200 Leap coming out at $275 wasn't a surprise to me, though it surprised me how many here thought the lesson of appropriate pricing *must* surely have been learned by BB by now.

Similarly, specs... Despite the imagined specs of the slider, I can't shake my belief that the slider will have disappointingly average specs coupled with a ridiculously high price. And of course it'll be late... Summer 2015 (as I've seen mentioned) is nonsense IMO... When have BB ever released a device in such a timescale?

For me, any BB slider will be judged against the WP10 flagship expected in October, and as it'll be my money on the line I won't pick the slider unless it's the genuine winner in that comparison (despite my fondness for the form-factor).
    03-26-15 10:18 AM
    Good marketing, and a load of native applications, I think those two are the start

Posted by my awesome Lumia 530
    03-26-15 10:19 AM
    Marketing and Advertising are pointless unless BB can restore relations with the carriers and BB phones are available from stock in stores.

Few will buy a phone they can't handle/try before purchase IMO.
    03-26-15 10:47 AM
    Sell aggressively. Better to sell 50 devices with a $50.00 profit than to sell 10 at a $200/$300 profit
    03-26-15 12:16 PM
    Sell aggressively. Better to sell 50 devices with a $50.00 profit than to sell 10 at a $200/$300 profit
    With up to 3 year old components?
    vbdwork likes this.
    03-26-15 03:03 PM
    The average consumer doesn't want to put in the effort. I know a lot of people who aren't interested in signing up for a second app store. They just want native apps to be there.
    Yah, that would be nice but if you've experienced Blackberry in the past, you realize they are worth the effort. I knew that if I could manage it, I was definitely going back to Black and I have not regretted that decision once.
    03-26-15 03:18 PM
    Other than for the keyboard, would you still buy BlackBerry hardware when the likes of Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. have better hardware? How do you answer all the BlackBerry users who say that keyboards are a waste of resources and full touch is where's it's at?
    The main reason I buy blackberry is due to the physical keyboard.

Waste of resources? Make a high quality slider, proper aspect ratio, decent size screen, full keyboard, removable battery, full android runtime and watch it sell like crazy... waste of resources, what does that even mean? To me it means it's not profitable, well all the people I know still using blackberries use qwerty devices.

And a lot of people I know using full touch devices want a full keyboard but they are convinced android is the best thing since sliced bread.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 10:16 PM
    Offer carriers higher price support structure will translate to higher sales. More$$$$$$ Motivation!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 10:42 PM
    BlackBerry has no desire to increase their hardware sales.
    03-28-15 02:06 AM
76 1234