Since the announcement of Friday of BlackBerry retreating from the consumer market in favour of "Prosumers", my question is this;

What Apps do Prosumers use?

I ask this because, as a BB10 App developer, I'm concerned that BlackBerry will no longer attract other app developers to the platform. I say this for several reasons; If BlackBerry cannot shift devices, and even fewer devices will probably be sold going forward since the Prosumers are a small portion of the market, is there any real incentive for App developers (games, popular consumer apps, etc) to even consider building an App for BB10?

I'm not sure how they are going to pitch the Prosumer angle as a positive thing to developers at ther BlackBerry Jam conferences.

National Rail Times App for BB10 (Native Q10 and Z10) - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20352963
    09-22-13 05:00 PM
    Docs to Go,
    PDF Viewer,
    Angry Birds, because we have them, we're never gonna let them go
    Web Browser
    Calculator.

All joking aside, that was the first thought that went through my head when i heard the statement.
    09-22-13 05:12 PM
    This is something I am truly curious to get to know as well....

In the end prosumers like the same devices and apps and there has been an uptake of the BB10 OS. All BlackBerry needs to ensure is that they will be providing new devices for at least 24 months and 4 devices a year.

At least that would be something to finally calm down the doom and gloom and enough stability until BB10 becomes established.
    09-22-13 05:18 PM
    Prosumer is such a meaningless word. A Prosumer is basically what we have now, enthusiasts who chose their phone because it met their needs and not because it was trendy.

At least, that's how I see the word. They left it intentionally ambiguous.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 05:32 PM
    To me a "prosumer" is someone who doesn't need apps and only uses their phone for "business" in the most classic sense.

A phone is a phone. Be connected and "get stuff done."

No games. No social media. No fun.

Business and only business.
    09-22-13 08:10 PM