What are Amazon store app permissions on BB OS10?

I don't have a BB OS10 device yet (willing to buy one). But I wanna know.
    Last edited by HusseinMoussa; 03-22-16 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to say I don't own a device yet :$
    03-22-16 05:07 PM
    Not hard
    What are Amazon store app permissions on BB OS10?-img_20160322_221003.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(8444762) likes this.
    03-22-16 05:10 PM
    Not hard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160322_221003.png 
Views:	601 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	394972

Posted via CB10
    A screenshot too Thanks a lot

I'm sorry I just don't own a device yet but I'm planning to buy a Classic and I want to have a BlackBerry OS-only experience with the device. That's why I was asking.
    03-22-16 05:18 PM
    I just recently used the Amazon App Store app for the first time and allowed it those permissions. With yahoo messenger and google talk support coming to an end (both still working and still using them now) I wanted to obtain Trillian, a nice free multi-messenger app I've enjoyed on BBOS in the past which is in use on my desktop pc now. The Trillian app works well except for the LED notification which I haven't gotten to work yet, but I've noticed one completely unexpected peculiarity. The Trillian app won't run without the Amazon App Store app also running! Even if both are closed like after a restart, when I open and start using Trillian, the Amazon App Store app will open and run in the background without an Active Frame and without my opening it. If I close it in Device Manager, it borks Trillian and messages tells me, " the Amazon App Store app must be running for this app to work." I think this is complete and utter bs. Do all apps obtained from the Amazon App Store behave like this?
    03-22-16 05:49 PM
    I just recently used the Amazon App Store app for the first time and allowed it those permissions. With yahoo messenger and google talk support coming to an end (both still working and still using them now) I wanted to obtain Trillian, a nice free multi-messenger app I've enjoyed on BBOS in the past which is in use on my desktop pc now. The Trillian app works well except for the LED notification which I haven't gotten to work yet, but I've noticed one completely unexpected peculiarity. The Trillian app won't run without the Amazon App Store app also running! Even if both are closed like after a restart, when I open and start using Trillian, the Amazon App Store app will open and run in the background without an Active Frame and without my opening it. If I close it in Device Manager, it borks Trillian and messages tells me, " the Amazon App Store app must be running for this app to work." I think this is complete and utter bs. Do all apps obtained from the Amazon App Store behave like this?
    not all but some do require to check the license with the amazon store. On android i have seen the need to open the app store just be logged into it
    03-22-16 05:53 PM
    Have you tried installing Trillian through Snap?
    What are Amazon store app permissions on BB OS10?-img_20160322_204007.png

Posted from my X00 Z30
    03-22-16 07:41 PM
    I'd recommend getting trillian through snap or Google play. Most if not all amazon apps require amazon app store installed or amazon app store running. Also amazon app store seems to get updates slower than Google play.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 11:29 PM
    A screenshot too Thanks a lot

I'm sorry I just don't own a device yet but I'm planning to buy a Classic and I want to have a BlackBerry OS-only experience with the device. That's why I was asking.
    Ah, fair enough
    03-23-16 04:29 AM
    Thanks a lot for all your replies, folks!
    I learn a lot from you
    @Authority I actually did hear of Trillian as an alternative for other IM software. But the info you provided is really interesting.

Okay, General question: Can I prevent Amazon App Store app from having these permissions over my phone? (When I buy it..heh)
    03-23-16 07:56 AM

Okay, General question: Can I prevent Amazon App Store app from having these permissions over my phone? (When I buy it..heh)
    Nope, basically the Files permission is needed; it's how the App stores the installers files for whatever you download.

The Location one is a bit tricky, I strongly believe there is a bit of a runtime issue in BB10 which shows the Location Permission even when the Dev did not ask for it (seen a few Android devs complain about it to BB)

You can only modify the permissions on Native BB10 Apps.
    03-23-16 08:25 AM
    What you can do is to not allow Amazon to run in the first place by denying its permission.
    03-23-16 09:09 AM
    What you can do is to not allow Amazon to run in the first place by denying its permission.
    You can't deny permissions to the Amazon App store. There are only three in the security settings, and two if them - shared files access and location - are grayed out. The only thing you can turn off is "run when minimized", but that really doesn't do anything. It still runs it's services in the background - which is apparently a different state.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 10:04 AM
    The word's I used are "denying it's permisson", not permissions.

You can keep the Amazon app store from running on your device by not accepting it's terms and conditions.
    Last edited by Rustybronco; 03-23-16 at 10:33 AM. Reason: x>z
    03-23-16 10:28 AM
    The word's I used are "denying it's permisson", not permissions.

You can keep the Amazon app store from running on your device by not accepting it's terms and conditions.
    Ah. Well, that...? Sure.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 12:28 PM
    About as sure as it gets.

paulwallace1234 likes this.
    03-23-16 01:42 PM
    Yes, thanks to everyone who responded with info on Amazon App Store and alternative options like Snap. I hadn't even considered that one.

Hussein Moussa, yes, Trillian is a pretty good messenger. It has a handy "suspend" feature where you can set it to not run and use your battery resources but still let you know when you have instant messages by sending you a push email when an im arrives. I'm generally not into non-native apps, so that's why I only have two, Skype (obtained from BlackBerry World) and now Trillian from Amazon. (Well, there's the aforementioned "bundled" Amazon App Store app, too.) I don't like giving every random app every permission, so that's why I'm not into non-native apps, but I appreciate my BB10 having an android runtime for the very few I'm willing to compromise on.
    03-23-16 06:00 PM