A thought just popped up in my head when couple of my friends were talking about Internet speed connectivity and having a discussion about best carrier as per the Internet speed, that how can I be sure about saying something, yes I have experienced different carrier services but still if there is a talk about figures, how can I be sure whether how much speed my BlackBerry device can reach upto whole downloading or streaming?
    I have vodafone, it's too fast as both but I should like to see the MB/s or KB/s just like anybody can do in their android phone. Perhaps BlackBerry has an app as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 02:26 AM
    This may not work in the BlackBerry browser, but try Fast.com. It's simple and fairly reliable.
    07-27-20 06:40 AM
    Going to depend on the server as well.

I can think of two ways to get fast downloads from a server or client on bb10 off the top of my head. Unfortunately you're not likely to see them in production for a handful of other reasons.

These would be using webworkers, typed arrays and pass by reference instead of structured clone of data being downloaded, Ive got a few demos of this its kind of cool and all client side.

Also websockets which is a server side impl.

Streams kind of similar issue, there are working but deprecated api's bb10 could use but you probably wont see them in production.

Your local internet service provider might have a speed test on a web site.

settings://wifi theres an option to show your Connection Data Rate. My classic is usally at 150Mbps, hotspots everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 07-27-20 at 07:55 AM.
    07-27-20 07:37 AM
    Guys, I guess you must have missed the main idea of my query.
    You all probably have seen that Internet speed indicator on the top of the screen at the near to the battery sign or other notifying icons on your Android devices that always shows the present speed of the Internet on the device.
    Like " 1.3MB/s" or "62KB/s"
    The current speed of the Internet. So I wish to know whether is it possible to have that kind of stuff on top (or anywhere I could be able to look at) of my BlackBerry device screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 08:38 AM
    I guess that's just a digital representation of known standards: Edge, 3G, H+, 4G, LTE, probably something else. I can't imagine that any device / OS can calculate the speed dynamically on the fly. Otherwise it would burn the battery and suck plenty of traffic.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-27-20 08:46 AM
    Internet Speed Meter Lite from Google Play?
    07-27-20 08:52 AM
    I guess that's just a digital representation of known standards: Edge, 3G, H+, 4G, LTE, probably something else. I can't imagine that any device / OS can calculate the speed dynamically on the fly. Otherwise it would burn the battery and suck plenty of traffic.

Posted via CB10
    Some android phones have it inbuilt or you can install third party app to make it possible and to say truthfully, it does work. It's very accurate at its work, I often match the speed with the downloads and it's pretty good. The inbuilt one is great and too precise.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 08:54 AM
    Internet Speed Meter Lite from Google Play?
    Does it work on BlackBerry devices?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 08:54 AM
    Does it work on BlackBerry devices?

Posted via CB10
    Probably not...

Wasn't paying attention to where you posted this.
    07-27-20 08:57 AM
    You all probably have seen that Internet speed indicator on the top of the screen at the near to the battery sign or other notifying icons on your Android devices that always shows the present speed of the Internet on the device.
    The current speed of the Internet. So I wish to know whether is it possible to have that kind of stuff on top (or anywhere I could be able to look at) of my BlackBerry device screen.

Posted via CB10
    Never seen that on any android device I've had.

Granted, I've not had many - just Samsung phones and Amazon Fire tablets. But, even looking at LGs and Pixels used around my office, never seen that. Had to be an app to show that.

Don't think you'll ever see that in the status bar on BB10. I know one developer was able to get the local temperature to display up there, but if I recall, it was a bit of a trick to do that, but it was a native app too. I doubt an android app could access to the status bar.
    07-27-20 09:42 AM
    Don't think you'll ever see that in the status bar on BB10
    Everyone has their own preferences but the less crap I see up there, the better!
    07-27-20 09:50 AM

Granted, I've not had many - just Samsung phones and Amazon Fire tablets. But, even looking at LGs and Pixels used around my office, never seen that. Had to be an app to show that.

Don't think you'll ever see that in the status bar on BB10. I know one developer was able to get the local temperature to display up there, but if I recall, it was a bit of a trick to do that, but it was a native app too. I doubt an android app could access to the status bar.
    My S7 had it, when I enable a download booster that utilized both WiFi and Cellular at the same time for downloads.
    07-27-20 10:11 AM
    My S7 had it, when I enable a download booster that utilized both WiFi and Cellular at the same time for downloads.
    I've actually heard of that. But never saw that option on the S4, S8 or S9s I have.

Maybe AT&T hid that option, or maybe was not an option on the models I used - since we skipped the S5-S7 phones.
    07-27-20 10:31 AM
    I've actually heard of that. But never saw that option on the S4, S8 or S9s I have.

Maybe AT&T hid that option, or maybe was not an option on the models I used - since we skipped the S5-S7 phones.
    AT&T & Sprint specifically had Download Booster disabled.

I know both the S8 and S9 had it, don't know about more current models. It really did speed up downloads.... great for downloading videos for off line viewing.
    07-27-20 11:00 AM

I am not sure with Samsung or LG as well but there's a brand named "Honor" which does show speed at the status bar, one of my kins have that and I remember asking her about it. It is inbuilt in that and perhaps a Samsung device too had that as I remember. It was Samsung A20, don't know if it is available in your country because India is such a large budget phone market and companies like Samsung don't usually launch its segment series out in richer market of prosperous countries.
    Few more companies namely - Oppo, Vivo and RealMe has this feature added default beacuse obviously they fall in the same segment.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 11:08 AM
    Everyone has their own preferences but the less crap I see up there, the better!
    You are correct at this point but I guess having an Internet speed indicator you would be perfect to have.
    it needs not be at the status bar, it could be anywhere. For example at Hub, having it somewhere easily reached would be more than perfect to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 11:10 AM
    I am not sure with Samsung or LG as well but there's a brand named "Honor" which does show speed at the status bar, one of my kins have that and I remember asking her about it. It is inbuilt in that and perhaps a Samsung device too had that as I remember. It was Samsung A20, don't know if it is available in your country because India is such a large budget phone market and companies like Samsung don't usually launch its segment series out in richer market of prosperous countries.
    Few more companies namely - Oppo, Vivo and RealMe has this feature added default beacuse obviously they fall in the same segment.

Posted via CB10
    Do think it makes more sense to post the actual potential speed of your connection....

I can see how USA Carriers might not have wanted it, but how users in other markets might have demanded it...
    07-27-20 11:26 AM
    Do think it makes more sense to post the actual potential speed of your connection....

I can see how USA Carriers might not have wanted it, but how users in other markets might have demanded it...
    You don't think the US carriers wanted their customers to be constantly reminded how much their mobile data speeds sucked compared to advertised speeds?
    07-27-20 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    My p20pro have it also. It's under screen setting to turn on or off. Shows current (estimation I guess) speed when surfing or whatever.
    07-27-20 12:17 PM
    I am not sure with Samsung or LG as well but there's a brand named "Honor" which does show speed at the status bar,
    Yep, you are correct. Looks like all Huawei/Honor devices have this setting available under Settings/Notification and status bar/display network speed. We have 3 devices (P9, Honor 8, and P30) all of which can display the network speed. I just assumed all android devices had this.
    07-27-20 12:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ah, I thought you were wondering how to confirm download and stream capability.
    Network is (Mbit/s)
    Downloads are (MB/s)
    Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 02:15 PM
    You are correct at this point but I guess having an Internet speed indicator you would be perfect to have.
    it needs not be at the status bar, it could be anywhere. For example at Hub, having it somewhere easily reached would be more than perfect to me.

Posted via CB10
    My speedometer only goes to 100mph-160k/mh and I almost pinned the needle on the interstate again but it has a limiter so....... wrong thread?!?
    07-27-20 02:23 PM
    My speedometer only goes to 100mph-160k/mh and I almost pinned the needle on the interstate again but it has a limiter so....... wrong thread?!?
    This posting will probably be moved to the BBOS forum )

Posted via CB10
    07-27-20 02:28 PM
    This posting will probably be moved to the BBOS forum )

Posted via CB10
    ......OR maybe the BS forum. Right Chuck.
    07-27-20 03:17 PM
    ......OR maybe the BS forum. Right Chuck.
    Today : I-75 NB practically empty. My Excursion may accelerate slowly, but I had 12 miles (like 18 km for you canucks) of pavement to push it....
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-27-20 06:14 PM
27 12