Is Blackberry continuing to support the high security, end to end, solutions that depend on OS10. Thinking here, the US DOD, Germany government, and others I don't know about.

My understanding is that these have more security than what can be obtained in an Android solution.
    02-05-17 03:33 PM
    This depends on what you mean by "support". There may be one more security update. I wouldn't expect much more than that.
    02-05-17 03:55 PM
    Regardless, everyone will have to choose between iOS and hardened-Android eventually.
    02-05-17 04:08 PM
    Is Blackberry continuing to support the high security, end to end, solutions that depend on OS10. Thinking here, the US DOD, Germany government, and others I don't know about.

My understanding is that these have more security than what can be obtained in an Android solution.
    The US DoD never really rolled out BB10 in the first place. By the time it was approved for use, the company was already up for sale, and almost every department chose either iOS, Android (mostly Samsung), or kept their BBOS phones for a while longer. Germany bought some, but they're using SecuSmart (devices were $2500 each or so), and only in relatively small numbers for top officials.

While BBOS was formerly "the" standard for government-issue smartphones, today, the iPhone owns 2/3 of the market with Android owning the rest (though Android has been growing in share). There's no big government demand for BB10 support, because they weren't using it anyway.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-05-17 06:42 PM
    I would like to see current numbers of the amount using blackberry after this article. https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...entagon-order/
    02-05-17 07:26 PM
    I would like to see current numbers of the amount using blackberry after this article. https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...entagon-order/
    Doesn't mean they are using them anymore even if they bought them. That was a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 08:07 PM
    The 80,000 phones mentioned in the US Department of Defense's press release referred to already existing devices.
    02-05-17 08:10 PM
    Doesn't mean they are using them anymore even if they bought them. That was a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you don't know what current means!
    02-05-17 08:18 PM
    Anyway Idgaf.
    02-05-17 08:19 PM
    Well, my US DoD contacts are all using BlackBerry 10 devices, most of them a Q10.
    02-06-17 10:38 AM

Well, there's a reason 10.3.3 was noted as a 'Government' update and brought pretty much nothing consumer level.

We understand how important BlackBerry 10 is for our enterprise clients. We remain committed to supporting it – that’s why we recently announced the BlackBerry 10.3.3 for Government release, which brings BB10 up to the highest standards of security, while also improving certificate management. And we haven’t forgotten that people use BlackBerry 10 outside the workplace, either.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    02-06-17 02:50 PM
    The reason BlackBerry continues to support BB10 and just released OS 10.3.3 is because it DOES have important customers on the platform. What will be interesting to see, is if BlackBerry's upcoming security hardened Android N version will make those previously mentioned customers changeover. We will have to wait and see.
    02-06-17 03:01 PM
    All the Canadian government employees that I encounter have BB10 devices (Q10s or Classics) if they connect to government email from their phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 04:51 PM
    I'm sure the German government will be delighted to start using 'hardened' Google phones that beam every last trace of data from the phone straight up into Google servers based in the USA where the NSA can peruse the sensitive data on demand.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    02-06-17 06:16 PM
    I'm sure the German government will be delighted to start using 'hardened' Google phones that beam every last trace of data from the phone straight up into Google servers based in the USA where the NSA can peruse the sensitive data on demand.
    The Enterprise / EMM apps don't do that.

There is no data collection for advertising purposes. Only to provide the user experience on the google apps that are chosen by the admin. It's a very strict privacy policy for Enterprise.
    Ronindan likes this.
    02-06-17 06:17 PM
    There are enterprise customers still using BB10 as well as a few governments - don't get me wrong. And in both cases, they're likely looking at moving on, but in both cases, it will be a slow, drawn-out process just like the transition from BBOS. But entities like those aren't happy when a supplier of one of their products gets out of the business of supplying those products, so no matter what a great job BB10 is doing for them, they'll be planning to move on to something actively being developed and fully supported. That's just business, and it wouldn't be any different if it was a car company or a satellite manufacturer.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-06-17 10:08 PM
    Well, there's a reason 10.3.3 was noted as a 'Government' update and brought pretty much nothing consumer level.
    Yet in various topics some well-known CrackBerry people were saying that governments were reluctant to update to anything newer. So basically they've released an updated noted for a faux audience.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    02-06-17 11:48 PM
    Besides all considerations regarding BB10 OS security updates etc.......I mean, phones break or become defective sooner or later, and no more BB10 phones are being produced afaik, and stocks are shrinking if not gone already, so what's BB's solution to address this issue? Nothing, I guess - except some allegedly 'secured' Android phones, which were not even produced nor designed by themselves (most of these phones at least). If I was responsible for equipping my people with secure phones in a governmental org, and BBs had been my standard until now, I would be highly concerned already, it might happen I can no longer replace nor fix a broken phone. Except with something exotic that costs 10 times more.....!!?

On the other hand, now that even POTUS insists in continuing to use his old Samsung S3 as it is, priorities may have changed already anyway.....oh well, that's probably a different story, I guess.
    02-07-17 10:45 AM
    There are enterprise customers still using BB10 as well as a few governments - don't get me wrong. And in both cases, they're likely looking at moving on, but in both cases, it will be a slow, drawn-out process just like the transition from BBOS. But entities like those aren't happy when a supplier of one of their products gets out of the business of supplying those products, so no matter what a great job BB10 is doing for them, they'll be planning to move on to something actively being developed and fully supported. That's just business, and it wouldn't be any different if it was a car company or a satellite manufacturer.
    Yeah some that moved from BBOS... didn't really start using BB10 until 2015 or 2016. Imagine how they feel about BlackBerry at this point....

Regardless we are talking about a very small pool of users, that one way or the other will have to find a new solution. BlackBerry (and TCL) are hoping that these customer will just jump right on the Android Band wagon with BlackBerry's help. I think the key to this will be TCL providing some appearance of long term commitment to the selling of these devices. I think Chen's "we might get out of hardware" probably killed any hope the PRIV or DTEK's had... BlackBerry wasn't going to commit, so neither was enterprise.

In the US... think the Senate, State Department and White House were the main customers for BB10. Wouldn't be surprised to learn there are several 100's US Government users all told. At $500 (or a lot less) a pop that's not a viable market for BB10. Have my doubts that it will be one for TCL either....
    02-07-17 10:46 AM
    I used to wince when BB used to announce "wins" for government and enterprise contracts with device counts in the low 4 digit range. I mean, sure, it's a US government agency or department, but 2000 phones? Who cares about 2000 phones? Samsung probably has that many stolen out of cell phone stores every day (worldwide). When half a million Android phones are activated every day, a one-time "win" of 2000 phones isn't a win, it's an embarrassment.

Unfortunately, they didn't have enough 5-figure+ "wins" to talk about.
    02-07-17 11:26 AM
    The 80,000 phones mentioned in the US Department of Defense's press release referred to already existing devices.
    I can tell you as a Retired US Navy Captain, the Navy moved away from BB years ago.
    02-07-17 12:32 PM
    The US DoD never really rolled out BB10 in the first place. By the time it was approved for use, the company was already up for sale, and almost every department chose either iOS, Android (mostly Samsung), or kept their BBOS phones for a while longer. Germany bought some, but they're using SecuSmart (devices were $2500 each or so), and only in relatively small numbers for top officials.

While BBOS was formerly "the" standard for government-issue smartphones, today, the iPhone owns 2/3 of the market with Android owning the rest (though Android has been growing in share). There's no big government demand for BB10 support, because they weren't using it anyway.
    I know that during my time in government service we utilized BBOS devices for such needs.
    02-07-17 12:43 PM
    I know that during my time in government service we utilized BBOS devices for such needs.
    As did many - I recall poking fun at one of my brothers for using a Bold 9000 when I had a shiny new Z10 - his reply "we'll be issued these until they die".
    02-07-17 02:24 PM
    I can tell you as a Retired US Navy Captain, the Navy moved away from BB years ago.
    And, that's what makes you "That Guy"

Thank you for your Service Capt.
    02-07-17 02:35 PM
    And, that's what makes you "That Guy"

Thank you for your Service Capt.
    Thank you very much Sir...........WOOF!
    zephyr613 likes this.
    02-07-17 06:16 PM