Right, I'm on a BBRY Leap running 10.3.3.2137.

For three days my phone has been acting up I could hardly make a call. Nothing would open. Any app or BBRY stock app would be clicked on and then just auto-close instantly without opening fully.

I've done dozens of hard resets and was actually running the battery down to 0% so I could definitively clear the cache etc. As that seemed like the issue to me. Some glitch with the Android runtime or something.

Anyway at 0% I managed to open SETTINGS and tried turning off NordVPN which is set to always on. As soon as Nord shut down my apps started working and receiving data. Yeah there's been an obvious glitch with Nord but it wasn't just effecting apps it was effecting the Hub etc. I couldnt send email or sms so it is obvious at all that this was being caused by Nord.

I'm just posting this in case anyone else is having problems. Hopefully Nord becomes usable again on BB10 but for now its switched off.
    Last edited by teknofish; 07-27-18 at 09:32 AM. Reason: more intel
    07-26-18 11:14 AM
    Arrrgh somehow Nord has turned back on and I'm now back at square one I cant even open settings to turn Nord off again. Is anyone having issues with Nord atm?
    07-26-18 11:48 AM
    Did you try turning off the auto-connect? Or even try using a different region. I have had issues like that and I would swap to a different region and it solved it fore and I'm using NordVPN

Posted via CB10
    07-26-18 02:43 PM
    I've turned Nord off but the issues came back. Nothing opens esp within the hub. I've ran the battery right down and will be recharging it soon.

I'm on the verge of having to reflash the OS on the phone, something I've never had to do ever with a Blackberry 10 device.
    07-26-18 02:50 PM
    Are you connecting to NordVPN using the BB10 settings? Hopefully you're not using their Android app!

I'm using NordVPN heavily on my Passport on WiFi and mobile data.

Can you not just delete the profiles?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-18 05:23 PM
    I've deleted the Nord VPN profile completely and although that gave me a few mins of 'back to normal' now the phone is broken again. Nothing opens the icon just flashes then returns to menu.

So although Nord was making it worse it was not the cause, that is unless its glitched something in the OS.

Nightmare! Going to need to rebuild a Blackberry for the first time.
    07-27-18 07:39 AM
    Im wondering if its something like an account in the background like signal or telegram as it mimics the failure of android apps when they dont work but i cant even accesss Settings to delete the accounts, any app deleted on the home screen reappears after reboot. Its a real weird one
    07-27-18 08:37 AM
    There should be no icon to flash or anything like that. Please tell us if you are using an app for this? There is no app for NordVPN for a BB10 phone!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-18 09:02 AM
    By the way, if you want to start afresh, load the latest autoloader which you will find on the first page of this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1140113

It is an exe file that you run on your PC with the BB plugged in. It wipes and loads the OS fresh.
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    07-27-18 09:04 AM
    No Nord-app. I've mentioned Nord was working fine dictating I was using the settings/certificate!

Right I think I've fixed it. I managed to get into Settings after several soft resets and went into ACCOUNTS>>> Deleted Signal, Telegram and IMPORTANTLY my Gmail.

Hard reboot and its working.

I think the hub was possibly full of emails although they weren't showing. I'd delete all emails but after reboot they'd reappear. Looks like the Hub cache was full for some weird reason and wouldnt allow the phone to operate because the CPU was busy trying to populate the hub or something.

Very strange as I didnt have a huge amount of emails maybe 100, 200 max.
    07-27-18 09:29 AM
    Glad you've found a solution. Well done.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-18 11:00 AM
    Strange coincidence time:

I'm in Dubai for a few days for work and have the Passport set to auto connect to NordVPN since I was last here. This hasn't been an issue and I travel a lot.

It went crazy when I got here. It got all hot and bothered, froze now and again and the Internet was slooooow. Importantly, for work I am required to be part of a WhatsApp group so when I am on shift I add the APK and slip their SIM to my phone. WhatsApp would crash constantly when selecting my work chat.

Anyway, I blamed WhatsApp and uninstalled/reinstalled a few times but it didn't get any better.

Only later did I realise I was connecting to the VPN in a very restricted country. Switched off auto connect and it works fine again. I am very surprised that this messed up the operation of the phone so much!

So, OP, are you in a restricted country also?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-18 05:33 AM
    No I am in the UK but my issue has returned and badly. Its defo a software issue with the OS. I can't open any apps or even contacts.

Last calls list shows (if im luckly) just numbers not names.

I've turned off Nord, turned off device encryption, CANT get into accounts to deactivate Gmail again though.

I'd wipe the phone and start again if I didnt have some vital data stored in an encrypted notepad on the phone.

Concerned about this though, are there any more reports of BB10 'dying' on the forums? Off to look myself...
    08-10-18 12:21 PM
    No I am in the UK but my issue has returned and badly. Its defo a software issue with the OS. I can't open any apps or even contacts.

Last calls list shows (if im luckly) just numbers not names.

I've turned off Nord, turned off device encryption, CANT get into accounts to deactivate Gmail again though.

I'd wipe the phone and start again if I didnt have some vital data stored in an encrypted notepad on the phone.

Concerned about this though, are there any more reports of BB10 'dying' on the forums? Off to look myself...
    Can you move your notes to the password keeper and make a backup?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 02:39 PM
    That sucks about the stuff you need to retrieve. I can see why you'd like to persevere rather than just autoloader your way out of trouble.

Do you suspect that your Gmail account could be causing this? How about changing your password on the account so the BB can't connect?

Good luck. Hope someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to help!

:-)

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 05:10 PM
    Can you move your notes to the password keeper and make a backup?

Posted via CB10
    Good idea but the apps seem to lockup from opening after about 10 seconds of boot up. Its a very strange issue its like the RAM is corrupt or something. I've managed to quickly open my notes and got the info I needed though so I am about to migrate to a new phone are reinstall the OS on the old one.
    08-13-18 04:50 AM
    That sucks about the stuff you need to retrieve. I can see why you'd like to persevere rather than just autoloader your way out of trouble.

Do you suspect that your Gmail account could be causing this? How about changing your password on the account so the BB can't connect?

Good luck. Hope someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to help!

:-)

Posted via CB10
    Right, this is weird. The phone is working fine when I remove the SIM card and all connections. ie no Wifi etc.

Quick recap:

Phone is unusable on boot up, Hub wont populate, last calls wont even give names just numbers its like the phone cant open ANY program/app for some reason.

I can't uninstall anything, just returns to homescreen on bootup

Lots of settings keep auto-resetting - BBProtect, location services etc. They keep turning on when I have them off.

Its pot luck if I can send SMS or even make a call as sometimes those 'apps' autoclose immediately.

So I begin the migration process to another BB10 phone, after about 20 mins or switching sims between phones I notice the old phone is working fine. Snappy and working as it should?!!?! I've stopped the migration and I have put the sim card back into the old phone which for the moment is working fine.

What on earth could have caused this? I've had Nord and device encryption turned off for a week so its not some glitch in either of those.

Baffled!
    08-13-18 04:55 AM
    Right, this is weird. The phone is working fine when I remove the SIM card and all connections. ie no Wifi etc.

Quick recap:

Phone is unusable on boot up, Hub wont populate, last calls wont even give names just numbers its like the phone cant open ANY program/app for some reason.

I can't uninstall anything, just returns to homescreen on bootup

Lots of settings keep auto-resetting - BBProtect, location services etc. They keep turning on when I have them off.

Its pot luck if I can send SMS or even make a call as sometimes those 'apps' autoclose immediately.

So I begin the migration process to another BB10 phone, after about 20 mins or switching sims between phones I notice the old phone is working fine. Snappy and working as it should?!!?! I've stopped the migration and I have put the sim card back into the old phone which for the moment is working fine.

What on earth could have caused this? I've had Nord and device encryption turned off for a week so its not some glitch in either of those.

Baffled!
    Sounds like it may have been related to your VPN, blocked maybe? That sucks.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 08:03 AM
    Sounds like it may have been related to your VPN, blocked maybe? That sucks.

Posted via CB10
    Thats the weird thing. I have no VPN activated I deleted the Nord profile when this first happened.

It does however imply some kind of connection to my phone which is tripping out my RAM.

Hmmmmm
    08-13-18 12:32 PM
    Thats the weird thing. I have no VPN activated I deleted the Nord profile when this first happened.

It does however imply some kind of connection to my phone which is tripping out my RAM.

Hmmmmm
    I just saw this thread and thought I'd throw in my 2-cents. Have you checked your Device Monitor to see if your device might be full? Try deleting the cache from your browsers, from the CB10 app if you use it, and anything else that stores images and settings between uses.
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    09-07-18 11:03 PM
    I just saw this thread and thought I'd throw in my 2-cents. Have you checked your Device Monitor to see if your device might be full? Try deleting the cache from your browsers, from the CB10 app if you use it, and anything else that stores images and settings between uses.

I got to the bottom of the issue (sort of)

It was related to my SIM CARD and UK service provider. (Virgin)

When I removed the card and rebooted everyone works fast and snappy.

Insert the SIM card and NOTHING will open. Cant even make a call.

What could be happening with my sim that it trips out my phone? Its like the network is hacking my phone or something. Very strange,
    02-16-19 05:22 PM