Wouldn't implementing sandboxed browser apps that are separate from the stock browser that retain username/password info/settings help with the dearth of apps on BB10?

Password protect the app icon launch if you want.

Just pin it to your home screen and it behaves like a Web app instead of a browser tab. There are a few sites I'd love for this to work with: banking sites, amazon, etc.

I know this must have been done somewhere before.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 04:33 PM
    Isn't that what Web Works Apps are?
    05-29-15 05:36 PM
    Isn't that what Web Works Apps are?
    Is this currently doable within BB10? I know I've read about this sort of thing before. I was just wondering why it wasn't something BlackBerry was actively pushing as an alternative to unavailable apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:09 PM
    Isn't that what the BB10 Uber "app" is?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:31 PM
    Is this currently doable within BB10? I know I've read about this sort of thing before. I was just wondering why it wasn't something BlackBerry was actively pushing as an alternative to unavailable apps.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what you mean by "pushing" but any dev who doesn't know about this must be hiding in a cave. About half the questions on Stack Overflow BlackBerry forum are webworks based. This is how I put Google Maps support in HelloGPS.

Unfortunately, for the most part if you see a really poorly responsive application like PC Plus or Canadian Tire that's how they have been written, using a write one run everywhere web development toolkit with a poor BlackBerry implementation.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    05-30-15 09:05 AM
    Hmm, I'm not technical enough to know what that all means.

Here's my question. Can I, from the browser, create a sandboxed bookmark wherein cookies will persist even if my browser's cache is cleared? That's what I want: to give Web pages some of the benefits of a dedicated app.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 12:37 PM
    It's a good point.. can we package web pages ourselves if we get the webworks sdk?
    Like have it save the constant parts of the code and reload the content portion.

I'll use Facebook as an example.. it saves the layout with the top buttons and side menus just like an app. Then only used the internet to load content like statuses text and pictures.

How doable is that?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 12:49 PM
    I have been looking for something similar to this for a while but haven't found anything that doesn't involve SDKs. Idealy I would want something that could be quickly configured on the device though.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 07:31 PM
    It's a good point.. can we package web pages ourselves if we get the webworks sdk?
    Like have it save the constant parts of the code and reload the content portion.

I'll use Facebook as an example.. it saves the layout with the top buttons and side menus just like an app. Then only used the internet to load content like statuses text and pictures.

How doable is that?

Posted via CB10
    Would not saving the Web Page from the browser and making it a Homescreen shortcut do the same thing?
    05-30-15 08:03 PM
    Would not saving the Web Page from the browser and making it a Homescreen shortcut do the same thing?
    No, it's not sandboxed that way.

You could also prevent external navigation with a toggle to improve security. Password protect specific sandboxed bookmarks. Or even apply VPN settings to specific sandboxed bookmarks. I can see a bunch of different ways that this might be useful. But I'll also reiterate cookie retention after clearing the cache of the main browser.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 09:43 PM
    Hmm, I'm not technical enough to know what that all means.

Here's my question. Can I, from the browser, create a sandboxed bookmark wherein cookies will persist even if my browser's cache is cleared? That's what I want: to give Web pages some of the benefits of a dedicated app.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not a fan of the term "sandboxed" because there is no formal definition, so I don't really know what you are talking about.

But webworks is a way to write a dedicated application using the same skills used to develop web pages.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-30-15 10:32 PM