On one hand, BlackBerry should have a BB10 tablet to support the ecosystem.

On the other hand, what ecosystem? BB10 is being overrun by Android apps.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    11-30-13 08:29 PM

You absolutely nailed it.
    11-30-13 10:16 PM

Android free of the shackles of Google could be the future!

If Android app integration in to BB10 becomes as easy as using BlackBerry World from a non-technical consumer user's point of view then another BlackBerry tablet may actually be feasible.

The worrying thing is the negative effect easy-Android will have on native app development but the benefits for BlackBerry and the average user may outweigh that.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:14 AM
    Yeah BlackBerry will not be able to release a tablet anytime soon. They can barely sell their phones. And I won't be getting another BlackBerry tablet after the way they misled PlayBook owners

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:32 AM
    They'd be better off just releasing some Bridge-like software to run on Android and iOS tablets so we can hook up our BlackBerry phone and access PIM data, files and other BlackBerry Services through it.

BlackBerry seem to be working on "projecting" what's on your phone on to other devices like PC's. In the absence of BlackBerry tablets it would be good to be able to leverage other types of tablet and remotely make use of a BB10 phone from them including viewing the apps running and accessing the data on the phone.

It would have to be faster than the Bluetooth Bridge between BlackBerry phones and PlayBook though, that was torture to use.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:53 AM
    My wife told me yesterday that her next company phone would be an iPhone. Why? Because they want to deploy tablets and they settled on iPad.

Mr. Heins made a serious mistake when he said BlackBerry would not focus on tablets.

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits and johnm137 like this.
    12-01-13 09:44 AM
    BlackBerry need to focus on other manufacturer's tablets.

They already failed with their naive/arrogant assumption that everybody with a BlackBerry would buy a PlayBook and everybody who bought a PlayBook would buy a BlackBerry.

In the tablet space there is a market for iPads and Galaxy Note 10.1 and that's about it.

A portrait oriented 10 inch BB10 tablet would be great but it wouldn't sell enough due to its weak ecosystem.

Better to bring the best of your BB10 phone to that portrait oriented 10 inch tablet that has already sold nearly 200 million units, you know the one.

BlackBerry seem to be working on bringing things from BB10 phones to the Desktop, calling it Fuse, they need to do the same for iOS and Android tablets.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 12-03-13 at 11:51 AM.
    12-01-13 06:11 PM
    I can see setting up Bridge on an Android tablet, but it would have to be very sandboxed. Once your phone spills it's guts to an Android device, security is out the window.

I'm just amazed any professional company would put up with an iPad. The restrictions are just too much. Android is a far friendlier system than IOS.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 02:04 AM
    I can see setting up Bridge on an Android tablet, but it would have to be very sandboxed. Once your phone spills it's guts to an Android device, security is out the window.
    Is that a scientific fact or your opinion? If the former, on what basis?
    12-03-13 08:06 AM
    I agree. Just recently picked up a playbook on the cheap and im loving it. Bb10 tablet would be sweet but they def need to focus on hand held market and get there marketing s��t together. They obviously can't afford to mess it up. Since they are focusing more on their roots they will probably make a business table. This time it will have native email and BBM out of the box
    12-03-13 08:25 AM
    I wish BlackBerry could make limited batches a device cost effectively instead of making million units each time. Then I think they could make a BlackBerry tablet and make money on it (e.g. Only make 1000 units)

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:02 AM
    No matter your feelings on Apple, they have a very tightly integrated experience between devices, and Microsoft is mighty close and working diligently on the same. I don't think it would look all too terrible to the world if BlackBerry were to create a new tablet. Given the mass population status of the brand name in the first place, how many average Joes do you suppose even know the story of the PlayBook's so called demise (which I understand to be no BB10)? Tablets certainly have their market, I suppose it's my two cents that it would make BlackBerry look a little "bigger" or at least a lot more active as a company to the outsider if they started producing a tablet or two and we're able to integrate personal data and the user experience as well as other companies are doing, or so says I

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 10:36 AM
    Tablets are lame. Just another device to waist time copying files to and get bothered when you loose it.
    Hey, 2009 is calling and wants its "tablets are useless" mantra back.
    12-03-13 11:11 AM
    I would say focus on phone first and tend release a tablet

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 11:16 AM
    I wish BlackBerry could make limited batches a device cost effectively instead of making million units each time. Then I think they could make a BlackBerry tablet and make money on it (e.g. Only make 1000 units)
    It looks like someone could use a primer on fixed and variable costs. Blackberry Tablet #00001 would probably cost about $50 million to produce. Tablets would continue to be a loser for Blackberry because with smartphones there are companies issuing the phones, some carriers pushing the phones so there are some built in customers. For a tablet, there would have to be someone who looks at an iPad or Samsung alongside a Blackberry tablet and decide that the Blackberry is best for them.
    12-03-13 11:16 AM

I'm just amazed any professional company would put up with an iPad. The restrictions are just too much. Android is a far friendlier system than IOS.

Posted via CB10
    Professional companies prefer the improved security of the walled garden of the iOS ecosystem compared to the Windows-like malware laden free for all of Android's. Their employees just like the fact that they are getting an iPad.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 11:56 AM
    Hey, 2009 is calling and wants its "tablets are useless" mantra back.
    Tablets without mobile data are lame.
    Tablets that provide nothing more than a bigger screen to watch videos are lame (well unless you live in a caravan or spend a lot of time in japanese hotel rooms)
    Ipads have +points but rather have a similar priced laptop. Android best tablet is actually a 6.? Inch phone.
    Original Microsoft surface was lame.
    Surface pro 2 , ok now this looks ok, but wait no 4G ok then 3G, no 3G? Forget it and how much??? Lame

Suprisingly Nokia Lumina 2520, Ok its not lame?
    12-03-13 02:19 PM
    Tablets that provide nothing more than a bigger screen to watch videos are lame (well unless you live in a caravan or spend a lot of time in japanese hotel rooms)
    Ipads have +points but rather have a similar priced laptop. Android best tablet is actually a 6.? Inch phone.
    Surface pro 2 , ok now this looks ok, but wait no 4G ok then 3G, no 3G? Forget it and how much??? Lame

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that your favourite word is "lame". Either that or you get royalties for every time you can finagle it into a forum post, right?
    12-03-13 03:33 PM
    Really like the idea with a PlayBook using OS 10, slimmer and bigger like iPad air, with compatible keyboard could act like a case so we can make it into a notebook.
    With BlackBerry Bridge and BB10 phone as well, we folks are gonna definitely destroy the generation of kids device of Apple.
    Time to seriously play with the true technology.

Cross fingers!

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:12 PM

Kind of hard to agree with your point or take your argument seriously when you use the word "lame" in every sentence.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    I saw something similar to this on 60 minutes this past weekend with founder of Amazon. He said they make and sell their tablets at coat but look to make money on the software inside.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:39 PM
    How difficult and / or costly can it possibly be to produce a Google Nexus 7 - like tablet that has the feel, built and looks of a Z30 and has BB10 running on it? It would basically be a big Z30. They already have the knowledge, why not buy the parts to do it, have it assembled and market it. I hate that I cannot bring my android tablet to life with a swipe (amongst many other things) and would get a new BlackBerry tablet right away.
    12-03-13 06:04 PM
    How difficult and / or costly can it possibly be to produce a Google Nexus 7 - like tablet
    Read the post above by HeyMaggie.

Would you buy a tablet for $50 million?

It's the fact that it won't sell enough to recoup BlackBerry's development and manufacturing costs that has locked it out of the tablet market for now, it's not that BlackBerry can't make one. Better access to Android apps will hopefully change that.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK
    12-04-13 02:03 AM
    Read the post above by HeyMaggie.

Would you buy a tablet for $50 million?

It's the fact that it won't sell enough to recoup BlackBerry's development and manufacturing costs that has locked it out of the tablet market for now, it's not that BlackBerry can't make one. Better access to Android apps will hopefully change that.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK
    Yes.
    Let them solve the issue around selling phones first before giving them the issue of trying to sell tablets too

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 03:01 AM
    It's called the Z30 attached to external display. Would be foolish to go down the tablet road right now.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    12-04-13 08:57 AM
128 12345 ...