I am! So happy right now with my Passport!

jS. Posted from my Passport.
    01-15-16 08:39 AM
    Before I owned a BlackBerry I owned Danger SideKicks for four years. I thought they were terrific, with lots of potential for future development. The built-in app store (well before the iPhone existed), the Desktop Interface (before Android existed), push email that also queued so that I could compose emails when I had no network reception and they'd all fire off as soon as I got coverage--these were great features. And the keyboard was second to none.

But things started to go south. Backend outages became common. I couldn't depend on the device any longer. Microsoft bought the company, for no apparent reason. Things looked bad, so I switched to BlackBerry. At first, it seemed like a step backward. The BB keyboard was cramped and awkward in comparison. No desktop interface. No reliable queuing of emails; if they didn't get sent within a few minutes they'd just show a red X and I've have to resend manually later.

But I got over it and grew to appreciate the things that BlackBerry did offer, especially the ability to use QuickLaunch to get things working exactly the way I liked. And even though BB10 wasn't really fully baked at launch, I enjoyed it, and still do. But when it goes away, I'm not going to gnash my teeth. I've already gone with Android on a part-time basis, and it's fine. I can do everything I need to do on Android. And I'm still interested in WP and hoping it gets some kind of a bump from universal apps. These are interesting times. I'm enjoying BB10 while everything is still working, and when it's time to move on, I will. If BlackBerry can get the Hub up to speed on Android, I'll be interested in the next BlackBerry Android too.
    01-15-16 08:44 AM
    I'd like to add to this thread that bb10adopter111 should get some kind of bonus karma for bringing a little Shakespeare to CrackBerry.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    01-15-16 10:20 AM
    I'd like to add to this thread that bb10adopter111 should get some kind of bonus karma for bringing a little Shakespeare to CrackBerry.
    Thanks, but I also lose a little karma for not making it explicitly clear that we are a band of brothers AND SISTERS!

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    01-15-16 10:58 AM
    This is the longest winter of discontent I've seen.
    01-15-16 11:47 AM
    We few, we happy few (Blackberry 10 fans), we band of brothers-eae1d13a9ff6b7a08ce890f61a9fdb14.jpg
    ubizmo and anon(9742832) like this.
    01-15-16 12:34 PM
    Everyone forgets the follow up line (I might have taken a liberty here)....

Made glorious summer by this sun of CrackBerry
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    01-15-16 07:19 PM
    Happy

It's a BlackBerry World

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-18-16 10:04 PM
    When it comes to the technology you use - whether smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. - I have always said that each choice comes with its own unique strengths and weaknesses. What it comes down to for each of us is which strengths we want and which weaknesses we are willing to live with.

Whether or not BB10 continues to evolve as a platform or remain stagnant until it is quietly retired, it has many strengths not found anywhere else. If someone chooses BB10 because of those strengths, I say more power to them.

Get what you want and be happy. And it's okay to let others be happy even if they choose differently than you.

Long live BB10! Long live choice!

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    01-18-16 10:18 PM
    very much happy with BB 10
    01-19-16 03:39 AM
    BB10 FTW
    01-19-16 03:42 AM
    Although I'm happy with my Priv now, I wish all BB10-exclusive users had your attitude OP - because the denial in some of the others is not a healthy thing.
    Hi Conite,

Your activity in the forums over the past year or so has been much appreciated; however, now that you have made the move to Android, your input has become biased and unhelpful at best. Please keep your opinions about the future of BB10 to yourself.

Peace

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by nabollocks; 01-19-16 at 11:14 PM.
    01-19-16 10:59 PM
    So got this email that the "real" canadian superstore would not be supporting their apps for devices outside of android or ios versions up from 4.1 and 7.0 respectively. Called to verify if this would affect my native BB10 PC PLUS app for my beloved passport. Yes unfortunately. So I went looking around for a 4.1 android apk and it won't install. It's BS when canadian companies won't support canadian tech at it's finest. I guess i'll just have to get a scanned piece of plastic and transfer my info over to it but I shouldn't have to based on market share, it has nothing to do with reliability. So I emailed PC and gave them heck(want to use another word here).

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 11:19 PM
    Hi Conite,

Your activity in the forums over the past year or so has been much appreciated; however, now that you have made the move to Android, your input has become biased and unhelpful at best. Please keep your opinions about the future of BB10 to yourself.

Peace

Posted via CB10
    My primary device is a BlackBerry - a BlackBerry Priv. I still currently own and use many BB10 devices. I have a pretty good handle on how they both operate. I have every right to discuss, and I happen to fully support, what the company BlackBerry is doing about transitioning. Crackberry is a BlackBerry site, not a BB10 site.

You seem to be expressing your opinions on BB10 without fear of "bias".
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-16 at 11:50 PM.
    01-19-16 11:38 PM
    My primary device is a BlackBerry - a BlackBerry Priv. I still currently own and use many BB10 devices. I have a pretty good handle on how they both operate. I have every right to discuss, and I happen to fully support, what the company BlackBerry is doing about transitioning. Crackberry is a BlackBerry site, not a BB10 site.

You seem to be expressing your opinions on BB10 without fear of "bias".
    Truth is, regardless of whether or not you believe BB10 is dead, BlackBerry is pushing forward with it's IOT development which is based on... you guessed it... QNX. BB10 is not dead, and even though it may look different in the future, it is not going away.

P.s. I do understand your enthusiasm for the Priv... it is by far the best android handset on the market.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 12:05 AM
    Truth is, regardless of whether or not you believe BB10 is dead, BlackBerry is pushing forward with it's IOT development which is based on... you guessed it... QNX. BB10 is not dead, and even though it may look different in the future, it is not going away.

P.s. I do understand your enthusiasm for the Priv... it is by far the best android handset on the market.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 has little to do with what is being developed at QNX for vehicles or for IoT, and I certainly never said QNX was going anywhere.

I will continue to happily use my BB10 devices until they stop working. I'm simply under no illusions about where things are heading as Chen himself has said that if the Priv receives the certifications he is confident it will, then he only has to carry BB10 for one more year (Code/Mobile, Oct).

My objection to your post was not our potentially different thoughts on the future of BB10, but on your assertion that there is no place for my opinion on Crackberry. I disagree with many on this site on varying topics (as we all do), but would never suggest they "keep their opinions to themselves".
    Last edited by conite; 01-20-16 at 06:47 AM.
    Uzi, ubizmo, DrBoomBotz and 3 others like this.
    01-20-16 05:58 AM
    My objection to your post was not our potentially different thoughts on the future of BB10, but on your assertion that there is no place for my opinion on Crackberry. I disagree with many on this site on varying topics (as we all do), but would never suggest they "keep their opinions to themselves".
    You are correct - I have no right to stop you from posting your opinion.

The reason I have singled you out is because I believe that you have had quite a presence on CrackBerry and your comments therefore carry substantial weight in the community. (This is especially true for anybody looking for direction from the community)

Unfortunately, ever since BlackBerry released Priv, I have noted that you have become very vocal regarding the future of BB10. The problem with this is that your opinions have almost become truth on this site due to your reputation on this board.

I propose that we stick to the facts :
    1. BB10 is being supported for at least two more major releases (many revisions). Why would JC mention more than two releases as this represents a year of development? Wouldn't JC be keeping the next major release a secret?
    2. BlackBerry has invested millions of dollars in the development of BB10 and is unlikely to discontinue it's use for many years to come due to agreements that are currently in place with governments around the world.
    3. BB10 phones are still for sale by carriers, on the shop BlackBerry website and on Amazon.
    4. Apple releases one phone per year - BlackBerry is entitled to release one phone per year (this year is the Priv). This says very little about future BB10 phone development by BlackBerry.
    5. BlackBerry has created three of the most progressive phones that have been released to market in the past two years - Passport, Classic, Priv. This shows that BlackBerry is still at the forefront of hand held development.
    6. Not everybody wants an Android phone. BB10 is still the gold standard for security, no questions.
    7. All work that has been done to date on the BB10 OS directly translates to IOT devices. Expect this to be a big piece of BlackBerry Business in the future.

You are entitled to think that BB10 is dead, and you have every right to proceed with caution; however, it is very sad to see the CB community hating on the very thing that brought us together in the first place.

Let's try to be positive, use your influence for good and see what happens eh?!

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB likes this.
    01-20-16 09:47 AM

You are entitled to think that BB10 is dead, and you have every right to proceed with caution; however, it is very sad to see the CB community hating on the very thing that brought us together in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    We are having an intellectual discussion on the prospects of a particular piece of software/code. There is no hate or malice.

Chen has committed to two minor maintenance releases (10.3.3 and 10.3.4). He also said that he will have to keep BB10 going for at least another year. I have never contradicted these assertions.

Unfortunately, we also know the majority of the BB10 development team is gone, and the Android Runtime has been capped at Jellybean.

As I've written before, there could possibly be a replacement piece of BB10 hardware next year to support existing contractual obligations, but I doubt it. Keep in mind that Chen has also stated that he won't pay for BB10 drivers for new SOCs. So a new device in 2017 would be based on existing 2012/2014 hardware, using an OS that ostensibly came out in March of 2014 (10.3.X), and running an ART of Jellybean from 2013.

I'm simply providing the facts as I understand them in response to other posts (never out of nowhere). People can choose to ignore, debate, or agree.

I'm going to copy something I wrote to you in another thread in case you didn't see it:

Frankly, I think you present a much gloomier picture for BlackBerry than I do. I am bullish on their future, and their efforts and security enhancements they've made to Android, and the prospects of Android in enterprise. This is the direction BlackBerry is going, and I support it. It all depends on perspective, doesn't it? I see myself as the optimist.
    Last edited by conite; 01-20-16 at 11:09 AM.
    JeepBB and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-20-16 10:20 AM
    I propose that we stick to the facts :

Yes, lets.

1. BB10 is being supported for at least two more major releases (many revisions). Why would JC mention more than two releases as this represents a year of development? Wouldn't JC be keeping the next major release a secret?

10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are minor releases.
    The third number increments QED minor release.

7. All work that has been done to date on the BB10 OS directly translates to IOT devices. Expect this to be a big piece of BlackBerry Business in the future.

Much of the work done on BB10 to date does not translate to IOT.
    BB10 is not QNX.
    QNX is the base for BB10.

BlackBerry's legacy OS and devices are what brought this community together.
    BB10 was a divisive influence.

Your idea of what is good and positive is not consensus.
    There is very little consensus on CB.
    JeepBB and Uzi like this.
    01-20-16 10:29 AM
    5. BlackBerry has created three of the most progressive phones that have been released to market in the past two years - Passport, Classic, Priv. This shows that BlackBerry is still at the forefront of hand held development.
    I don't know of anyone, including BlackBerry enthusiasts, who would describe the Classic as progressive. It wasn't meant to be that. It was intended as a bridge device for those who were still using BBOS. This doesn't make it a bad device at all; clearly a lot of people are very happy with it (I haven't tried it, myself), but I don't see anything progressive about it.

The Passport, however, is progressive, in that its unusual form factor represented a real risk, for the sake of an enhanced experience of reading various texts (email, web pages, ebooks, etc) on a mobile screen. That's why I'll continue to use mine as long as it's working well. But the market response to it certainly wasn't great, and even many BlackBerry supporters here at CB think it was a huge mistake. The thing about risks is that sometimes when you take them, things don't work out.

The Priv and, possibly, Vienna are also risky for BlackBerry, though possible less so than BB10 devices. The biggest risk is, as has been pointed out many times, the difficulty of competing in the crowded Android market. To do so, BlackBerry must leverage its differentiators: PKB, Hub, and the perception of security/privacy. It's still not clear whether they can succeed at that, but at least they overcome their biggest negative differentiator: weak ecosystem.

Personally, I hope they get a toehold in the Android world and are able to bring the Hub up to speed and someday release an Android "work wide" device. I'll want that device.

It's very hard to be optimistic about anything BlackBerry does these days, but I think they could build a stable niche in Android.

Is there anymore Kool-Aid in that pitcher?
    01-20-16 11:39 AM
    We are having an intellectual discussion on the prospects of a particular piece of software/code. There is no hate or malice.
    I have attached a picture to assist with my point about being positive about the future of BB10. Please note that both statements A and B are true; statement A is a doomsday statement, but statement B gives the reader the feeling that things are going to be alright.
    We few, we happy few (Blackberry 10 fans), we band of brothers-china-headline.png

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 12:19 PM
    I have attached a picture to assist with my point about being positive about the future of BB10. Please note that both statements A and B are true; statement A is a doomsday statement, but statement B gives the reader the feeling that things are going to be alright.

Posted via CB10
    Of course. That's why it's important to appreciate the context of the situation when one evaluates the facts.

When I see that BlackBerry has only committed to two minor updates, and that they believe they only need to keep BB10 for "at least one year", have laid off most of its development team, and won't update the hardware, it is important to understand the context - which is dwindling BB10 sales, large financial losses in devices, and the introduction of a new line of Android devices.
    Last edited by conite; 01-20-16 at 04:22 PM.
    01-20-16 12:28 PM
    A friend here on CB recently helped me get a stellar working Amazon Prime Music App on my BB10 phone. Now, the phone does basically 100 percent of everything I need a smartphone for. I also use Blend to blend it to my iPad2. Honestly, that's a great pairing and gives my aging iPad something excellent to do other than sit on my desk and look bored.

The only thing BB10 can't do for me is run my banking app and thus remote deposit check, but that's no biggie. I have a Droid and even a decommissioned iPhone 4s that run my banking App and I don't need to deposit checks during the day. Probably once a week on weekends, so the lack of a banking app is a non-issue.

So now that I have EVERY app I need and BB10 works absolutely beautifully Blended to my iPad2, why would I look elsewhere to change something that is NOT broken?

Nope. I'm sticking with BB10. It's the most elegant smartphone OS on the market today IMO.

Aloha!
    01-20-16 12:54 PM
    The only thing BB10 can't do for me is run my banking app and thus remote deposit check, but that's no biggie. I have a Droid and even a decommissioned iPhone 4s that run my banking App and I don't need to deposit checks during the day. Probably once a week on weekends, so the lack of a banking app is a non-issue.

So now that I have EVERY app I need and BB10 works absolutely beautifully Blended to my iPad2, why would I look elsewhere to change something that is NOT broken?

Nope. I'm sticking with BB10. It's the most elegant smartphone OS on the market today IMO.

Aloha!
    Awesome!

Have you tried Cobalt's Google Play Services / patching workaround for your banking app? I was able to get the RBC Android app to work (which has mobile deposits).

You can take a look here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257
    01-20-16 12:57 PM
    Just a note to thank everyone for participating, and to restate that I started this thread for happy users of BB10 who are NOT worried about Blackberry's foray into Android

Of course, anyone can share their thoughts, feelings and opinions of, but I don't think we need another thread about the future of BlackBerry, or BB10, or BlackBerry on Android, or iOS, or WebOS, or Sailfish, or Windows Phone, etc., etc.

Sometimes, it's enough to simply enjoy the present.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    conite likes this.
    01-20-16 03:03 PM
129 12345 ...