Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 75.00%
  • No

1 25.00%
  • Kind of

0 0%
    I was a blackberry user for a number of years before switching from the Q10 to the Galaxy S5. I miss having a physical keyboard as I can easily go through 200 to 300 emails/texts a day. The reason for the switch is Google Maps. I was using my Q10 as a hotspot to my nexus 7 to use as a gps which became too inefficient to use.

I want/need a keyboard but Google Maps is more important for me. I know that the app can be installed and the play services patched to be able to log in and such. I would like to hear about real world usage from people that actually use it and how well it works and what the differences are from using an Android device. Things like using maps on a computer while at home or at the office and then being able to just hop in the car and select the address from history. Traffic planning is also very important. The ability to display and select different routes without having to actually back out of the navigation (that little grey box/route that says how much faster/slower the new route is.) These are the two important features I need working. Any word on performance (opening, finding route, and rerouting) would also be appreciated. Stability is also important to me as I use maps every single day.

Please, I do not want to hear about other apps that might work better or worse than this. Google Maps is why I left Blackberry and it's the only thing that will make me come back. I don't need anything else than emails, text messaging, and Google Maps.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide. If all goes well I'll be ordering a passport next week.

Added a poll to get a visual. Would still like to hear from you.
    12-16-14 03:49 PM
    The BeMaps App is based on Google Maps and downloadable from BlackBerry World
    12-16-14 04:36 PM
    Your complaints should be with Google since they have the keys to the app. You can still find plenty of threads that explain how to install Google maps on BB10

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 04:43 PM
    The BeMaps App is based on Google Maps and downloadable from BlackBerry World
    I've used it before and it was terrible. Didn't fulfill my needs. Is it any better now? Have you used it and found it to be a sufficient replacement for google maps on an android based on my needs?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    12-16-14 04:44 PM
    Google Maps works just fine on my Verizon Z30. I downloaded it using Snap. I don't log in, so I can't comment on how that part works, but the GPS locator, voice navigation, traffic info, etc. all work as they should.

For navigation, I like BlackBerry Maps (which uses Tom Tom); it's better than Google Maps. I like how it accesses my contact list for known addresses and if I put the address of my meetings, etc. into the calendar, I only have to click on the address and - boom - it starts navigating so I can do it while I'm driving.

But for finding traffic and looking up new places to go (that aren't in my phone yet), Google Maps is better and works fine.
    Last edited by rickkel; 12-16-14 at 04:53 PM. Reason: embellished a bit
    draconis123 likes this.
    12-16-14 04:44 PM
    Your complaints should be with Google since they have the keys to the app. You can still find plenty of threads that explain how to install Google maps on BB10

Posted via CB10
    I understand that. I'm just trying to get advice from people that have used it like I asked in my post. Not complaining just want to know how well it works as I can have zero down time with business.

12-16-14 04:46 PM
    Google Maps works just fine on my Verizon Z30. I downloaded it using Snap. I don't log in, so I can't comment on how that part works, but the GPS locator, voice navigation, traffic info, etc. all work as they should.

For navigation, I like BlackBerry Maps (which uses Tom Tom); it's better than Google Maps. But for finding traffic and looking up the places to go, Google Maps is better.
    Perfect, thank you. That's great to hear.

12-16-14 04:48 PM
    I recommend you take a look at this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257
    12-16-14 04:56 PM
    Michael, I am using GMaps on Passport (and Z30 and Z10 before ) and with every iteration of the BB10 OS smoothness is getting better. However, currently you will not have integration between OS and GMaps as you will have on Android (i.e. if you select/tap address in the calendar, it will open in the native BlackBerry Maps, not Google Maps...). You also can not "share" address easily to GMaps, so only option is to copy/paste. Logging to your Google account require some wizardry and sideloading of few Google services .apk. You also need to be prepared for some "Google Services have stopped" prompts. They are easy to dismiss, but can be annoying if you are in the hurry...

While BlackBerry Maps works just fine (and as per some users, better in some areas than GMaps), and there is variety of other 3rd party mapping solution on the BBAppWorld, if your primary use of device is GMaps, you might be better of with the Android. IF email is more important, nothing beats BlackBerry.

I have a spare phone in my car (SIII) with cheap data service, which is used as a Gmaps "failover" option, as well as a tracking device (it is linked to "Automatic" and can be seen on the Android device Manager).. Cheaper than most 'solutions' on the market, and multifunctional :-)

Above is just my view on the state of the GMaps and BlackBerry love (boy, I wish Google and BlackBerry have a lovechild!)
    draconis123 and Taigatrommel like this.
    12-16-14 05:00 PM
    Never had any issues with the native Maps app. It works reliably well, at least here in Ontario Canada...not sure about your locale

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:04 PM
    I live in Japan where there in no BB Map data. As a result I use Google maps (downloaded through SNAP) exclusively on my Z30.

I notice no difference between using it on my Z30, and the iPhone that the Z30 replaced. Great routing, easily selectable routes, reliable traffic info etc. Google maps on my Z30 is my primary auto navigation device, and works great for my needs.

That said, I have never logged in to Google maps (never bothered on the iPhone either), and always just entered my destination as needed. I do get the occasional pop up saying my experience will be improved if I install Google Play services, which I just ignore. As a previous poster explained you may have to perform some additional steps for better integration if you require those features. For my needs, however, it works exactly as it did on my iPhone.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    12-16-14 05:55 PM
    I like BlackBerry maps. At one point I had it running and it automatically said "an incident has been reported 3 km away". BlackBerry maps does have traffic info and could base your route on that.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:56 PM
    I know you don't want other apps, but I find Waze to be the absolute best for routing based on traffic. It is owned by Google.

It is not as good for browsing around the map but I rarely do that. Just enter my address and pick the best route based on traffic, etc. Also reports on red light cameras, speed traps, hazards, etc. Reroutes based on live conditions and tells you the difference in time.

Doesn't pull in your history from Google Maps that I am aware of.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    12-16-14 08:07 PM