The PRIV is no longer supported by BlackBerry. It is just getting security updates and isn't sold anymore. All new Android BlackBerries are made by TCL, a separate company. So theoretically if the PRIV were replaced by a Priv2 or something from BlackBerry Mobile and stopped getting any updates and was completely dead... BlackBerry would then theoretically be able to update the Android Runtime for BB10? Thoughts? Also, I find it a little funny that Google says anyone making android phones can't use an android runtime, then developed an Android Runtime for ChromeOS and launched their Pixel. Of course, Google can do whatever they want because they're Google.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-18-17 11:35 PM
    The PRIV is no longer supported by BlackBerry. It is just getting security updates and isn't sold anymore. All new Android BlackBerries are made by TCL, a separate company. So theoretically if the PRIV were replaced by a Priv2 or something from BlackBerry Mobile and stopped getting any updates and was completely dead... BlackBerry would then theoretically be able to update the Android Runtime for BB10? Thoughts? Also, I find it a little funny that Google says anyone making android phones can't use an android runtime, then developed an Android Runtime for ChromeOS and launched their Pixel. Of course, Google can do whatever they want because they're Google.
    BlackBerry would rather do NOTHING than dig up the BB10 corpse.

It's BlackBerry Android or zip. End of story.

BlackBerry is selling a Google-certified OS, so doesn't matter who builds the device. Nothing is contingent on the existence of the Priv.
    glwerry likes this.
    10-18-17 11:49 PM
    You can bet that Google has some pretty good lawyers writing their contracts to make sure there are no simple loopholes - but, it really doesn't matter. BB stopped developing BB10 3 years ago, and has no reason to re-start (and has no employees that work on that anyway).
    10-19-17 02:03 PM
    It's dead! Over!

BlackBerry will not write a single line of code more than absolutely contractually necessary for BB10 ever again, never mind a massive project like the Runtime.

It won't surprise me if we don't even get a fix for the KRACK vulnerability.

If you're not happy with what you have now, something that's only going to get worse, it's time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    10-19-17 02:39 PM
    Nice thought, it's not going to work.

The BB10 team is disbanded and put out to pasture. Even if BB could upgrade the runtime it's NOT straight Android. The amount of work required to rip out the old runtime (v4.3) and patch in v7 would be large.
    Trust me, this is NOT a project that you want to undertake!
    10-19-17 03:30 PM
    It really shouldn't be assumed that an updated Android runtime would even fix many of this issues that we have with BB10 apps. I think, in a big way, it's far more an issue of horsepower / RAM / the nature of the beast when running a sandboxed OS on top of another OS altogether.

There are some (or even 'many') apps that actually do run perfectly well with the current runtime on BB10 even with their latest versions that have just been updated in the last days, weeks, months, etc. Sure, not all of them do and some of the apps require a later version of Android than that of which our runtime allows but, even if the runtime were updated and we were able to install these apps, it doesn't mean that they would actually run any better.

I truly think that it's better off as it is. I've already had to back track versions of a couple of different apps to get them working smoother on my device and I really don't believe it's "because of the outdated runtime".

BB10 is a pretty lean OS compared to Android and most BB10 devices are pretty lean hardware-wise because of that. It's obviously why Android users are so crazy about getting the latest and greatest spec'd out devices where us BB10 users just don't get what the big deal is.

Well, here is the big deal: in order to run all of those apps (many of which are constantly doing things in the background), and in order to have all of the latest and greatest versions of all of those apps, it actually does make a very significant difference, performance wise, to have the latest and greatest device(s) or as close as possible.

Many of us are pushing our BB10 devices to the limit already. We are making compromises on our battery life and general overall performance in order to run a few of the apps that we do choose to run in the Android runtime that we have. There is a very strong likelihood that updating the runtime, even if it were possible, would cause more harm than good. Not to mention, we still wouldn't have the Google Play Services that many of those desired apps depend on to run properly (or at all, in some cases).

BB10 was great when it was growing and still felt alive. It's arguably still great even now that it's pretty much left for dead and certainly feels like it's on life support (or maybe the plug has already been pulled but it just won't stop breathing). But I, personally, don't think that updating the Android runtime would do anything more than - to continue with the life support metaphor - be the equivalent of giving it a shot of adrenaline that made it take one huge last breathe and killed it at the same time.
    10-19-17 04:52 PM
    I still think it's a bit sad that a company that now has turned into supplying software for other giants can't/wont update the UI and the tiny issues. I'm not asking for a new device or what not but come on. At least tidy up the minor mess in the BB10 OS. Give it a new look or something. Shooooot... This company is really beginning to annoy me... Any, carry on.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 05:46 PM
    I still think it's a bit sad that a company that now has turned into supplying software for other giants can't/wont update the UI and the tiny issues. I'm not asking for a new device or what not but come on. At least tidy up the minor mess in the BB10 OS. Give it a new look or something. Shooooot... This company is really beginning to annoy me... Any, carry on.

Posted via CB10
    You can always try moving your icons around. Have you changed your wallpaper recently? That's always refreshing!

I mean, a new look? Really? I'm thinking about Windows 8 and how well that went over for them. If it ain't broke...
    10-19-17 06:41 PM
    You can always try moving your icons around. Have you changed your wallpaper recently? That's always refreshing!

I mean, a new look? Really? I'm thinking about Windows 8 and how well that went over for them. If it ain't broke...
    Oh, but BB10 is slightly broken for some. Such as my Contact app. When I add a new contact, it has about 25 of that same contact entry. All of my BBM contacts don't make it there, etc... Soooooo it is broken for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 07:36 PM
    OMG... it feels like that movie... Groundhog Day
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ppeters914 like this.
    10-19-17 07:44 PM
    What would updating the Runtime (minimally as the more recent versions are no longer open sourced) bring BLACKBERRY the company? Want them to do it just out of the niceness of their heart? Expect them to start selling hardware again (new runtime isn't going to change that outcome)? Or maybe to finance this you thing they could charge users for a new update - Development Cost/Active User of 3+year old hardware=say $1500 per active device.

Yes Google can do whatever they want... with the product that they have invested billions of dollars in. Whole reason they stopped using an open source runtime was to put an end to the BB10, Kindle OS, Tizens and other OS trying to piggy back on their investments in the platform.
    glwerry likes this.
    10-20-17 07:18 AM
    Oh, but BB10 is slightly broken for some. Such as my Contact app. When I add a new contact, it has about 25 of that same contact entry. All of my BBM contacts don't make it there, etc... Soooooo it is broken for me.

Posted via CB10
    That's disappointing. Try an app called Duplicate Contacts finder (it's in BlackBerry World). I had some sort of error happen when I switched devices where I had at least 2 or 3 copies of every contact and this app actually did the trick for me!
    10-20-17 07:25 AM
    That's disappointing. Try an app called Duplicate Contacts finder (it's in BlackBerry World). I had some sort of error happen when I switched devices where I had at least 2 or 3 copies of every contact and this app actually did the trick for me!
    At a certain point, I had 8 copies of the same contact!
    10-20-17 01:07 PM