I currently use ExpressVPN on Android and PC, but it cannot be installed on BB10. Is there a preferred VPN for BB10 devices. How heavy is the battery usage etc?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 05:49 AM
    I currently use ExpressVPN on Android and PC, but it cannot be installed on BB10. Is there a preferred VPN for BB10 devices. How heavy is the battery usage etc?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    Nord VPN works for me on BB 10 via Generic IKEv2 provider

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 05:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 05:55 AM
    iused protonvpn over ikev2 + protoncertificate
    but they upgraded the servers recentweeks and itsonly an option onthe android device

flawless quick smooth
    verygood

ilike em
    06-11-20 06:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Alexey, how is the battery drain when this is connected? I usually connect the VPN 24/7 on my android phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 06:21 AM
    iused protonvpn over ikev2 + protoncertificate
    but they upgraded the servers recentweeks and itsonly an option onthe android device

flawless quick smooth
    verygood

ilike em
    Thanks for the info. Cheers

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 06:22 AM
    Alexey, how is the battery drain when this is connected? I usually connect the VPN 24/7 on my android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Have never used VPN in such a way. But I guess the battery consumption does not depend on a VPN provider, it's constant imho

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 06:27 AM
    Have never used VPN in such a way. But I guess the battery consumption does not depend on a VPN provider, it's constant imho

Posted via CB10
    Thanks again Alexey

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 06:28 AM
    Thanks again Alexey

Posted via CB10
    I believe somewhere in CrackBerry @Bla1ze had written about the limited VPN selection. Primary thing I remembered was to stay away from the free ones, maybe ? I’m sorry I don’t remember better.

@chetmanley is another great experienced member
    @conite, some others will chime in too
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 06-11-20 at 07:17 AM.
    06-11-20 07:04 AM
    Using NordVPN on my Passport OG with cellular autoconnect and charging optimization settings on. Probably draining battery a little faster, but not extremely. Not true 24/7 because at home I'm running VPN directly on wifi router.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 07:16 AM
    I believe somewhere in CrackBerry @Bla1ze had written about the limited VPN selection. Primary thing I remembered was to stay away from the free ones, maybe ? I’m sorry I don’t remember better.

@chetmanley is another great experienced member
    @conite, some others will chime in too
    I can remember reading a post within the last week about this subject but can't find the thread. I'm happy to pay and believe you definitely get what you pay for with VPN services.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 07:21 AM
    Using NordVPN on my Passport OG with cellular autoconnect and charging optimization settings on. Probably draining battery a little faster, but not extremely. Not true 24/7 because at home I'm running VPN directly on wifi router.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. It seems Nord is the frontrunner. I will check out the different connection options.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 07:23 AM
    I can remember reading a post within the last week about this subject but can't find the thread. I'm happy to pay and believe you definitely get what you pay for with VPN services.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure NordVPN was the go-to for BB10.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-11-20 07:25 AM
    Pretty sure NordVPN was the go-to for BB10.
    Okay, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 07:26 AM
    Okay, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze usually suggests either NordVPN or ProtonVPN.
    06-11-20 07:30 AM
    Bla1ze usually suggests either NordVPN or ProtonVPN.
    Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 07:34 AM
    You can setup your own VPN using Cisco AnyConnect protocol with openconnect software. It would consume less battery in TCP mode compared to IPsec IKEv2.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    06-13-20 05:33 AM
    VPN.AC is another provider with IKEv2 which I know works on BB10. No certificate is required which makes setup a bit easier. They are considerably faster than ProtonVPN and less expensive than both Proton and NordVPN.

Their website doesn't show any info on how to add IKEv2 to BB10 and if you ask them, they probably wont be able to help, but these are the settings you need.

Server Address: These are found in the support section of the Client area under Tutorials - MacOS or Android/Strongswan client.

Gateway Type: Generic IKEv2 VPN Server
    Authentication Type: EAP-MSCHAPv2
    Authentication ID Type: Email Address

Authentication ID: (as provided by VPN.AC - this is not the same as your account login email address)
    MSCHAPv2 EAP Identity: Same as above
    MSCHAPv2 Username: Same as above
    MSCHAPv2 Password: (Your VPN password - this is not the same as your account password)

Gateway Auth Type: PKI
    Gateway Auth ID Type: Fully Qualified Domain Name
    Gateway Auth ID: (Same as the server address used above)

Allow Untrusted Certificate: Disallow
    Gateway CA Certificate * : All CA Certificates

Perfect Forward Secrecy: Enable

Automatically determine IP: Enable
    Automatically determine DNS: Enable
    Automatically determine algorithm: Enable

And the rest can be left default.
    06-13-20 11:32 AM
    Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    VPN.AC is another provider with IKEv2 which I know works on BB10. No certificate is required which makes setup a bit easier. They are considerably faster than ProtonVPN and less expensive than both Proton and NordVPN.

Their website doesn't show any info on how to add IKEv2 to BB10 and if you ask them, they probably wont be able to help, but these are the settings you need.

Server Address: These are found in the support section of the Client area under Tutorials - MacOS or Android/Strongswan client.

Authentication ID: (as provided by VPN.AC - this is not the same as your account login email address)
    MSCHAPv2 Password: (Your VPN password - this is not the same as your account password)

WOW!!!! For certain issues, there's a reason that we include chetmanley.

There's many times I hope you're on the proverbial "our side instead of the other side" in 21st Century "not so cold war" speak.....
    06-13-20 11:45 AM
    06-13-20 12:02 PM

Wow, thanks chetmanley for taking the time to supply this detailed info. Much appreciated
    chetmanley likes this.
    06-13-20 04:09 PM
    I use hide.me - it has a free limited (2 Gb/month) plan which I used for a couple of months to test whether it works well with BB10, then in a promotion ordered a 3-year subscription with 70% off.
    The built-in VPN client can be used (supports IKEv2), no app necessary, so no noticeable battery drain.
    The site even has a BB10 setup guide somewhere, but it was not 100% correct (I wonder it they fixed it since). However, support was able to provide the correct details.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    08-04-20 05:44 AM