Does BlackBerry support OpenVPN? If it doesn't will it be supported in 10.3.1? I suspect that's why I can't get the PIA app to work on my z10.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z10
    02-15-15 08:41 PM
    It was supposedly going to be supported but I have not heard anything in quite some time. Ofutur may know a little more on this.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 10:26 PM
    OpenVPN is supported by the OS, but no one has written a user application for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-16-15 11:28 AM
    OpenVPN is supported by the OS, but no one has written a user application for it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    Any details on the plumbing in BB10? Ie, could android apps using openvpn android api's, or change the android ones to BB10?

I wonder what the effort if there is open source open vpn client out there as starting point.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 03:09 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    I know Private Internet Access has an android and iphone app and they recommend OpenVPN. However the app doesn't connect on BB10. So I figured OpenVPN isn't supported on 10.2.1 which I am currently on and that's why the app doesn't work. When check the list of VPN options on phone settings none of the ones PIA uses are listed.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z10
    02-16-15 04:01 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    Wow. I had no idea.
    If the OS supports it, I have no idea why they didn't provide the options in the VPN settings. Very strange.

[Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    02-16-15 04:32 PM
    Wow. I had no idea.
    If the OS supports it, I have no idea why they didn't provide the options in the VPN settings. Very strange.

[Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    I don't have BlackBerry as a company are fans of OpenVPN, just as they don't appear here be fans of OpenSSL. They have put in place the plumbing for someone else to implement. I've talked for BlackBerry on a number of occasions about support for OpenVPN, this is as close as they've come, and they've never given me a reason for not implementing it.

But you do have to remember that when they bought Certicom they bought some of the best cryptography available anywhere.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-16-15 06:48 PM
    ....they've never given me a reason for not implementing it.

But you do have to remember that when they bought Certicom they bought some of the best cryptography available anywhere.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    Here is a great reason..... Customers want it. Badly. You chop off over half of your customer base not doing this. Half the world's corporate customers are small and mid size companies, who will use OpenVPN long before IPSec. You'll also get an OpenVPN link to work on most networks outbound long before IPSec.

You also snub most prosumer and security minded power users., notice most soho networking gear can do OpenVPN, along with most vpn service providers.

The supposed core market of BlackBerry nerds, is left in the dust, but hey you can buy stickers

I would not buy stickers, but I sure as hell would buy an OpenVPN client for my BlackBerry phone which BlackBerry could sell on app world.

Completely baffles me and many others. Yes, pptp should not be used, but OpenVPN should be a customer offering, and it is on every other platform. I can't for the life of me understand it not being offered by BlackBerry. It's yet another reason why I'll drop BlackBerry 10 cold if its not in 10.3.1. As it is now I am only hanging by a thread to see what 10.3.1 brings come it's ota....maybe? This week?.

I'm using the leaks, and can't even get a consistent OLED dark theme (dark hub) .... Also just completely baffles me...If they can't set a background color, I fear OpenVPN is a closed case.

*sigh*

I want to see BlackBerry continue, but stuff like this just gets me so worked up. Sorry, this posting hit a nerve.... Total customer disconnect.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:34 PM
    Here is a great reason..... Customers want it. Badly.
    Some customers certainly. Enough to warrent the investment? Have they made this desire apparent to BlackBerry? Also remember that the core of BlackBerry in-house developers has been shrinking since BB10 was released.

... and it is on every other platform. I can't for the life of me understand it not being offered by BlackBerry.
    I've searched through Google Play and the Apple App Store. Certainly OpenVPN is there. The top applications each storefront are from OpenVPN Technologies. I have yet to find one by Apple or Google. On their website OpenVPN Technologies has links to their Android and iOS applications. It would be nice if they also provided WP8 and BB10 applications. It would be great if BlackBerry would step up and provide an OpneVPN client, especially if it used their crypto suite instead of OpenSSL. But it may be something they don't was to accept responsability for. Based on what I've learned about OpenSSL over the past two years, I have stopped using it where ever I can. I no longer use OpenVPN for my personal communications security, so I can understand their reluctance if they can't, for some reason, provide OpenVPN using their own cryptography.

If you can't set up IPSec and require strong VPN protection then your only mobile options appear to be in iOS and Android. I don't see that changing in the near future.

I want to see BlackBerry continue, but stuff like this just gets me so worked up. Sorry, this posting hit a nerve.... Total customer disconnect.

Posted via CB10
    I understand your frustration, but we have to be realistic and pragmatic.
    02-25-15 09:41 AM