Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hello,

I have been trying to determine whether there is any BB10 phone + US carrier/network combination that reliably supports VoLTE at the present time.

The phones I am most interested in at the moment are the Classic; the Q10; and the Passport.

After spending a considerable amount of time searching for answers online, the only seemingly clear and definitive information that I have come away with is that Verizon does not support VoLTE for the Q10 (and that said model will therefore no longer work on said network after the final day of this calendar year). Beyond that, any info I was able to find was less-than-clear and conclusive (at best), and often outdated.

As for networks and carriers, while I am most interested in AT&T at the moment, I would welcome information about any of the others in the US market, including the various MVNOs.

Also, if I have properly understood a number of the posts and articles that I read while searching for answers on the topic of VoLTE, they seemed to me to be saying the following. That when it comes to voice calling, only VoLTE (and, I would think, WiFi calling as well) can properly be considered 4G; that any telephone call not connected through VoLTE can be no more than some glorified, enhanced implementation of what is, in reality, 3G technology. Would I be correct in that understanding?

I would be grateful to anyone who could provide any relevant info on any of these questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post.
    Last edited by Britt Ponset; 07-04-19 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Removed parenthetical question that had signficant omission to begin with and is no longer useful.
    07-04-19 06:08 AM
    Hello,

I have been trying to determine whether there is any BB10 phone + US carrier/network combination that reliably supports VoLTE at the present time.

The phones I am most interested in at the moment are the Classic; the Q10; and the Passport.

(Are there any other BB10 models that even support 4G, let alone VoLTE?)

After spending a considerable amount of time searching for answers online, the only seemingly clear and definitive information that I have come away with is that Verizon does not support VoLTE for the Q10 (and that said model will therefore no longer work on said network after the final day of this calendar year). Beyond that, any info I was able to find was less-than-clear and conclusive (at best), and often outdated.

As for networks and carriers, while I am most interested in AT&T at the moment, I would welcome information about any of the others in the US market, including the various MVNOs.

Also, if I have properly understood a number of the posts and articles that I read while searching for answers on the topic of VoLTE, they seemed to me to be saying the following. That when it comes to voice calling, only VoLTE (and, I would think, WiFi calling as well) can properly be considered 4G; that any telephone call not connected through VoLTE can be no more than some glorified, enhanced implementation of what is, in reality, 3G technology. Would I be correct in that understanding?

I would be grateful to anyone who could provide any relevant info on any of these questions.

All BB10 phones (except Z10STL100-1) will support VoLTE, but all devices prior to the Leap and Passport have limited band support so are unlikely to work in all regions.

It's also quite problematic to get them set up on a CDMA network (Verizon). They don't tend to like doing that now.
    07-04-19 08:31 AM
    Hello,

I'm a primarily AT&T postpaid account customer and use AT&T carrier locked, sold and usually supported devices for this reason.

I would only suggest the AT&T branded Classic or the AT&T branded Passport for this reason and they're newer by 12-18 months than AT&T branded Q10 is.

I mentioned postpaid since AT&T prioritization is AT&T Postpaid, then AT&T Prepaid, then AT&T owned MVNO Cricket and finally independent MVNOs that use AT&T network. Since VoLTE is enhanced calling feature, prioritization matters or at least it did.

As far as enhanced calling features, AT&T doesn't support factory unlocked or other carrier unlocked devices.
    07-04-19 10:14 AM
    Thank you, Chuck Finley69, for that detailed reply. Kindly see below for my interspersed response.

I would only suggest the AT&T branded Classic or the AT&T branded Passport for this reason
    What about a phone that was AT&T-branded but unlocked? (Such as many are listed on ebay.) Can I realistically expect that as a post-paid, BYOD customer, AT&T would be both willing and able to lock such a phone for me in such a way that I could then expect relatively trouble-free VoLTE functionality from it?

As far as enhanced calling features, AT&T doesn't support factory unlocked or other carrier unlocked devices.
    That much would be one thing. I see, however, that in a post from September in the AT&T forum, you wrote the following.

Mysteriously, the AT&T carrier sold and locked Space Black KEYone (and many other different OEM devices) aren’t supported with enhanced calling features anymore. Initially, with Nougat, this meant no support for WiFi calling. Once upgraded to Oreo, I could no longer find toggle for Enhanced Calling which is VoLTE only for KEYone. CSR and tech said it appears that VoLTE is no longer supported as well.
    If what you claim above is indeed true for the much-newer KEYone, would one not then have to assume the same to be no less true for such soon-to-be-legacy models as the Classic and the Passport?

I note that the KEYone in Space Black is, as of this writing, still offered for sale on the AT&T web site. And the specs given there for the phone classify it as "HD Voice capable".

Or perhaps the the reason for the discontinued support of the KEYone is merely a lack of compatibility between the Android software it presently runs and one or more of the software and/or hardware components that AT&T relies upon to provide VoLTE and WFC?
    Last edited by Britt Ponset; 07-05-19 at 01:18 AM.
    07-04-19 12:06 PM
    Given that VoLTE is considered "enhanced services" that the carriers aren't legally obligated to provide, and given that BB10 is nearly EOL and any BB10 phone is at least 5 years old, I wouldn't "expect" anything at all from AT&T, whether the phone was branded or not. That has nothing to do with it being BB-branded and everything to do with its age and it's EOL status - AT&T isn't going to lift a finger to support it - they'd much rather sell you a new phone.
    07-05-19 12:25 AM
    Thank you, Chuck Finley69, for that detailed reply. Kindly see below for my interspersed response.

What about a phone that was AT&T-branded but unlocked? (Such as many are listed on ebay.) Can I realistically expect that as a post-paid, BYOD customer, AT&T would be both willing and able to lock such a phone for me in such a way that I could then expect relatively trouble-free VoLTE functionality from it?

That much would be one thing. I see, however, that in a post from September in the AT&T forum, you wrote the following.

If what you claim above is indeed true for the much-newer KEYone, would one not then have to assume the same to be no less true for such soon-to-be-legacy models as the Classic and the Passport?

I note that the KEYone in Space Black is, as of this writing, still offered for sale on the AT&T web site. And the specs given there for the phone classify it as "HD Voice capable".

Or perhaps the the reason for the discontinued support of the KEYone is merely a lack of compatibility between the Android software it presently runs and one or more of the software and/or hardware components that AT&T relies upon to provide VoLTE and WFC?
    What Troy says above is the most practical attitude.

My AT&T KEYone does still have VoLTE support. It turns out with Oreo the VoLTE settings are moved into another somewhat hidden menu. Also, I was able to move the AT&T sim to my factory unlocked BE KEYone and it has VoLTE for now but is not guaranteed to remain.

Neither KEYone has WFC and never will per multiple AT&T reps. I have no idea what happens if you buy AT&T Classic or Passport in 2019 as mine were purchased from AT&T brand new.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 07-05-19 at 07:02 AM.
    07-05-19 06:37 AM
    I wish to thank everyone who has replied to me.

I would also like to clarify that VoLTE, per se, is not absolutely critical to me at this point. I am concerned, however, that without VoLTE, reliable reception for voice calling altogether may progressively deteriorate as those towers broadcasting 3G signals are increasingly retired in favor of the newer 4G and now 5G. (See my OP for an elaboration of my thinking here.)

I have articulated my reasons for wanting to holdout with BB10 for at least some time still in a post I have now made to the AT&T forum.

Let me take this opportunity, finally, to thank in advance anyone else who may yet reply to me. I always read and appreciate sincere replies, even if I may at times be remiss in acknowledging them.

A belated happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans and for all, best wishes for the weekend.
    Last edited by Britt Ponset; 07-05-19 at 04:46 PM.
    07-05-19 02:09 PM