With T-Mobile and ATT ending their 2G and 3G networks over the course of the next year and only supporting VoLTE and 5G I'm looking for a loophole that will keep phones like the BB10 devices and newer devices like Sailfish and Volla phones flying.

These devices should still be able to connect directly to 4G/LTE data networks directly, correct? They should also be able to connect to hotspots - personal or commercial - with wifi.

All you need now is a native or android VOIP app that assigns you a virtual number which allows you to call and text others. Viber let you call land line and cell numbers directly but there was a per minute charge. Any other apps like that which would work on a monthly subscription basis and run on BB10?
    02-17-21 04:02 AM
    For "phone like" calls over cellular data/wifi you can use native BB10 SIP client called sip.fm still available in BBW. Any SIP account needed, including "public" phone number - there is a lot of SIP account providers worldwide to choose. You may be able to transfer your cellular phone number to SIP account (country and provider specific) or use call forwarding and CLIP to fake your cellular number for others. No SMS feature.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-21 06:32 AM
    Let it go.... let it go....

Most likely carrier's will kick off any non-compliant devices. That's what is happening now if you put an active SIM into one that wasn't already on the network.

They'll be WiFi only devices, so as long as you can keep another device to feed it a WiFi connection... yeah a SIP account could work. But it's not going to be a reliable means of communications or very practical.
    02-17-21 07:08 AM
    Let it go.... let it go....

Most likely carrier's will kick off any non-compliant devices. That's what is happening now if you put an active SIM into one that wasn't already on the network.
    Kicking off non VoLTE capable devices so they could not be used at least as data only devices? Really? This is happening somewhere? Luckilly I am from Europe, good old 2G GSM should be kept alive in most countries for at least next couple of years including good old even 2G only devices (2G is still used in many non personal devices for remote control etc). Only 3G is being switched off now.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-21 10:00 AM
    Kicking off non VoLTE capable devices so they could not be used at least as data only devices? Really? This is happening somewhere? Luckilly I am from Europe, good old 2G GSM should be kept alive in most countries for at least next couple of years including good old even 2G only devices (2G is still used in many non personal devices for remote control etc). Only 3G is being switched off now.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility anywhere.
    02-17-21 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm European too and rest assured, keeping 2G has much to do with non phone applications (M2M/IOT).
    Thinking about switching off 3G too, when it comes to phone users, regulators in my country planning about how to migrate old people and people with limited financial means to new devices which support Volte. (Similarly when analogue TV was shut down, the state subsidized the price of set top boxes for people who had old TVs and were not able to replace them - probably will come up with something similar)
    Point I want to make: when switching off old technologies like 2G and 3G neither regulators nor carriers will care about people who otherwise would be able to get a new compatible device but unwilling to do so.
    Add to this the fact that outside of Germany, the take-up of BB10 was very limited in Europe.
    02-17-21 02:18 PM
    I'm European too and rest assured, keeping 2G has much to do with non phone applications (M2M/IOT).
    Thinking about switching off 3G too, when it comes to phone users, regulators in my country planning about how to migrate old people and people with limited financial means to new devices which support Volte. (Similarly when analogue TV was shut down, the state subsidized the price of set top boxes for people who had old TVs and were not able to replace them - probably will come up with something similar)
    Point I want to make: when switching off old technologies like 2G and 3G neither regulators nor carriers will care about people who otherwise would be able to get a new compatible device but unwilling to do so.
    Add to this the fact that outside of Germany, the take-up of BB10 was very limited in Europe.
    This is pretty much how things are. Even here in the USA when the carriers switched over from Analog to Digital or implemented similar generation shutdown, they'll just provide the absolute cheapest replacement compliant device from set aside device inventory. Think $10-20 carrier locked Android with a bill credit so basically free.
    02-17-21 02:24 PM
    This is pretty much how things are. Even here in the USA when the carriers switched over from Analog to Digital or implemented similar generation shutdown, they'll just provide the absolute cheapest replacement compliant device from set aside device inventory. Think $10-20 carrier locked Android with a bill credit so basically free.
    The point is: nobody will care about people who refuse to leave their BBOS and BB10 phones or are opposed to Android and iOS on philosophical grounds.
    02-17-21 02:29 PM
    The point is: nobody will care about people who refuse to leave their BBOS and BB10 phones or are opposed to Android and iOS on philosophical grounds.
    Exactly and I agree completely.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-17-21 02:30 PM
    Or that say they can't be productive without a PKB....

If it's just about Android and iOS, there are some better options than BBOS or BB10 at this point. Sailfish or LineageOS would be my top picks - but neither is really any less "hobbyist" than BB10 or BBOS is at this point.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-17-21 03:58 PM
    Sailfish is not VoLTE compliant.
    02-17-21 06:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately it is happening in North America. T-Mobile will be a VoLTE/5G only network as of October 1st, 2021 and ATT will join them in 2022. ATT will also ban all devices they don't specifically whitelist to join their network.

There's the public reason for this (bandwidth) and the real reason: to force everyone into a handset upgrade cycle where BYOD is a thing of the past and make everyone's communications more easily stored, searched, and monitored.
    02-18-21 02:21 AM
    I believe I have found an acceptable solution for my Sailfish device. I'm switching to a Tolla data only SIM an have installed and tested the TextFree android app from Aptoide. To get unlimited use I had to created a Google account and activate the subscription from an android device that had downloaded the app but once done it appears to work OK.

Textnow on the other hand will only run on unrooted, android native devices so its out of the question.

Skype has a relatively affordable subscription plan that allows you to call non Skype users which would have been the next thing I would have tried.

Viber allows out calling but is per minute.

Silent Phone offers out calling but for only very limited number of minutes.

Perhaps this or a similar solution will work for those interested in keeping BB10 phones going.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully implemented the sip solution. Most of those providers I have looked up appear to be oriented to multiline business accounts.
    02-18-21 02:53 AM
    I believe I have found an acceptable solution for my Sailfish device. I'm switching to a Tolla data only SIM an have installed and tested the TextFree android app from Aptoide. To get unlimited use I had to created a Google account and activate the subscription from an android device that had downloaded the app but once done it appears to work OK.

Textnow on the other hand will only run on unrooted, android native devices so its out of the question.

Skype has a relatively affordable subscription plan that allows you to call non Skype users which would have been the next thing I would have tried.

Perhaps this or a similar solution will work for those interested in keeping BB10 phones going.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully implemented the sip solution. Most of those providers I have looked up appear to be oriented to multiline business accounts.
    But if your carrier kicks you off for not having a VoLTE compliant phone.... and all you have is a WiFi connection, is it really a mobile device? Sure you could get some jetpack to provide mobile WiFi, but those usually don't offer unlimited data.

In place of trying to use old devices beyond their expiration date.... maybe invest the time and energy into how to live with Android or iOS. Or just use a dumb phone for call and texting...
    02-18-21 06:56 AM

I'd test out that solution for awhile. I use both TextFree and TextNow for internet transactions. However, the free versions aren’t reliable as Google Voice and in turn, Google Voice for me can glitch as well. I believe the paid versions of TextFree and TextNow function best as MVNO service but then we’re back at the initial problem.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 02-18-21 at 07:22 AM.
    02-18-21 06:59 AM
    But if your carrier kicks you off for not having a VoLTE compliant phone.... and all you have is a WiFi connection, is it really a mobile device? Sure you could get some jetpack to provide mobile WiFi, but those usually don't offer unlimited data.

In place of trying to use old devices beyond their expiration date.... maybe invest the time and energy into how to live with Android or iOS. Or just use a dumb phone for call and texting...
    I don't believe that non VoLTE devices will be kicked off T-Mobile at least, just that they will be restricted to data use and SMS/Voice calls won't work.

This really isn't a thread about living with android or iOS.
    02-18-21 11:37 AM
    Or just use a dumb phone for call and texting...
    If only there was a half decent QWERTY dumbphone. T9 is horrible for text input.
    02-18-21 10:04 PM
    If only there was a half decent QWERTY dumbphone. T9 is horrible for text input.
    I agree.... I know they aren't much in demand, but Verizon's got six "dumb phones". Six flip and one candybar. I'm surprised there aren't more options - even if you kept it at just six.

Think there ought to be a BIG button phone for seniors and a fully keyboard. But then it's not my job, and I don't have the sales data to support my feelings.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-22-21 02:18 PM
    I agree.... I know they aren't much in demand, but Verizon's got six "dumb phones". Six flip and one candybar. I'm surprised there aren't more options - even if you kept it at just six.

Think there ought to be a BIG button phone for seniors and a fully keyboard. But then it's not my job, and I don't have the sales data to support my feelings.
    I can't possibly see how having one full QWERTY dumbphone there in the lineup would hurt sales. I just can't.
    02-22-21 03:01 PM
    I can't possibly see how having one full QWERTY dumbphone there in the lineup would hurt sales. I just can't.
    But the Key metric (like that) 2 measure, is helping increase sales. Cannibalism doesn’t help if all the additional devices aren’t sold to offset the additional expense.

The carriers have such tremendous amounts of proprietary sales data with reams of analysts to dissect that data.
    02-22-21 04:37 PM
    But the Key metric (like that) 2 measure, is helping increase sales. Cannibalism doesn’t help if all the additional devices aren’t sold to offset the additional expense.

The carriers have such tremendous amounts of proprietary sales data with reams of analysts to dissect that data.
    What cannibalism?

We're in an era of all slabs everywhere and then a handful of dumb phones with T9's.

How is one single QWERTY model harming anything whatsoever?
    02-22-21 04:38 PM
    What cannibalism?

We're in an era of all slabs everywhere and then a handful of dumb phones with T9's.

How is one single QWERTY model harming anything whatsoever?
    If carrier X will sell 1 million VKB devices as-is but instead sells 990,000 VKB and 10,000 PKB, they’ve gone backwards for the added risk and expense. It cut their profits for no GOOD reason. Even if they sell 20,000 it’s not helping. What if adding net 1,000 users? Still not worth it.
    02-22-21 04:53 PM
    In non-qwerty there are, at least here in Europe. The “Doro” brand does exactly that - it sells big button dumbphones designed for seniors (even though some of their models look like toy phones designed for the other end of the age spectrum )
    02-22-21 05:33 PM
    In non-qwerty there are, at least here in Europe. The “Doro” brand does exactly that - it sells big button dumbphones designed for seniors (even though some of their models look like toy phones designed for the other end of the age spectrum )
    I really have to wonder about the size of this market. My Mom just passed away a few months ago. She was 87 and no tech wiz but was a very happy and productive smartphone user for years. My MIL is 85, she loves her smartphone. All of my older relatives and friends use smartphones. Do older seniors really want and need a clown phone?
    02-24-21 12:38 AM
    I really have to wonder about the size of this market. My Mom just passed away a few months ago. She was 87 and no tech wiz but was a very happy and productive smartphone user for years. My MIL is 85, she loves her smartphone. All of my older relatives and friends use smartphones. Do older seniors really want and need a clown phone?
    Thankfully it's not me who have to market these things, so I don't really know
    02-24-21 05:13 AM
42 12