One thing I am quickly finding out is that apparently alot of us BlackBerry users are whiny b!tches (or maybe we are just passionate about the platform). People whine that the phone is not out, people whine that the phone is out and cannot cook them breakfast. I have never seen anything like this in my life! I have had my Z10 since launch day here in Canada and I love it. Are there things that need to be fixed, improvements that can be made to improve the overall experience, you bet. In my opinion to have what we have as a STARTING point is pretty amazing.

Instead of complaining and crying why don't we start a series of "Dear BlackBerry" posts where we explain what we are experiencing and our suggested tweaks etc instead of b!tching. I think this may go a long way to not looking like a bunch of spoiled brats and provide something for BB to search for to quickly get feedback, current issues, and suggested additional functionality. Just saying, if issues with your $650 mobile device are the worst problem of the day you have a pretty amazing life and perhaps some perspective is needed.
    It has gotten so bad we are whining about the whiners!
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-16-13 03:43 PM
    The voice control isn't that great on the phone but I'm hoping it will get better

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 03:44 PM
    Works great for sending messages while driving through my trucks blue tooth system

02-16-13 05:03 PM
    Don't interpret teething problems as if the whole world is going to end.

BlackBerry have re-written the whole of BB10, and with any new operating system, there are always going to be problems at the start. Think about how many problems Legacy OS has had over the many years of it's existence.

Give it time, and it will all be fine.

Josh - Posting from a Curve 9320
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-16-13 05:19 PM
    Voice Control is better than Siri but not as good as Google now.

I'm actually reasonably impressed.

02-16-13 06:51 PM
    because i am french speeking english with an heavy accent the siri and google was not working for me untill i tried bb which understand me better..almost perfect for me
    02-16-13 07:04 PM
    I don't think BB10 was designed for kids.
    02-16-13 07:30 PM
    Gimmicky concept found to be gimmicky, news at 11.

I can never stand voice control, regardless of which fruit is on the back of my phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 09:19 PM
    Again another troll .I use a BT headset and the voice control is really good .Keep in mind this is a work tool ,a phone to kept in touch with clients and suppliers .
    Most of the trolls on here sit at a desk all day ,wasting there boss's time and if it was direct deposit most would never show up at work again .
    02-16-13 09:20 PM
    I've found the voice control to be very accurate

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 10:38 AM
    Voice control and Siri are two very different beasts - about the only thing that's similar is that they both respond to voice. Siri actually tries to infer the context of the question whereas voice control is simply an alternate way of executing a small set of commands (it's kinda like the voice-activated Ford Sync).
    richardat likes this.
    02-17-13 01:54 PM
    It works fine
    02-17-13 05:04 PM
    I've dictated complete emails using BB voice control and they came out perfect, even with a cold. Now it was only a test as I don't think it's a very useful feature for me, but some need it so glad it's there. Definitely good enough to use if you need it, I don't though.
    02-17-13 08:58 PM
    Voice Control is better than Siri but not as good as Google now.

So, in your opinion, could it be a reasonable alternative to GNow? I never really liked voice controls until Google Now, but don't mind a less functional (but reliable) option on BB.
    02-17-13 09:08 PM
    to be more clear.... there is Sayit! well, why hasn't blackberry done this app?!
    Sayit is on Blackberry World: BlackBerry World - SayIt Built for BlackBerry
    richardat likes this.
    02-17-13 09:11 PM
    Last night while watching the All Star game I started playing with the Voice Control feature and ended up posting a tweet and a Facebook status with it. I found it to be quite satisfying and as accurate as you would expect an app relying on your diction to be.
    02-18-13 04:37 AM
    Man....thanks for actually trying to respond to the poster and giving him some help. A lot of ugly and immature posts here. Posts consisting of nothing but "you suck" "get out" "troll!" "look out the window" "whiny ____" If any of you are out of high school, I doubt very much you'd want your friends/family/coworkers to see you acting out like this.

Credit to those who were above such nonsense. To the rest: if you REALLY think he's a "troll" or that what he did is censurable, then ignore him and/or report him....but I think you know what he did here wasn't, because instead, you just tried to personally bully him. Good job.
    02-18-13 06:17 AM
    Voice control and Siri are two very different beasts - about the only thing that's similar is that they both respond to voice. Siri actually tries to infer the context of the question whereas voice control is simply an alternate way of executing a small set of commands (it's kinda like the voice-activated Ford Sync).
    Right....which has actually been around....forever...predating smartphones entirely. OP, you're right, this VC is not going to win anyone over, and yes, the VC on other devices has attempted to go way beyond this. It's a very complicated task to say the least....one that probably won't be perfected for some time....with BB10 being so delayed, and given that it has a lot of other app holes (app holes??!) and some missing basic functionality, I'm glad they didn't try anything more...no sense in trying a really difficult, fancy desert when you're late just trying to get the main course out.
    02-18-13 06:24 AM

So, in your opinion, could it be a reasonable alternative to GNow? I never really liked voice controls until Google Now, but don't mind a less functional (but reliable) option on BB.
    Yes. But, Google Now is better.

My wife has a Nexus 4 and my daughter has an I Phone. We did some testing. One thing that Voice Control does best is set appointments. Google Now is best at searching.

One example is looking for movie times. Google Now shows you each movie and theaters and times. Voice Control uses Bing and after the search you have to enable Local Access each time. Then, it gives you the same kind of local information as Google Now.

Here is another example. I was listening to the radio and an obscure song by the 80s group Quarterflash was on. I did a Google Now search and it surprisingly understood what I was asking for and gave me good info. Voice Control looked for "1/4 Flash" and gave me junk in return.

Still, Voice Control is pretty good. I just wish it would use Google and not Bing.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:26 AM
    I finally got around to testing BB's voice control with my Motorola Roadster via bluetooth and for the most part, I was able to to basic communications such as call, text, email, bbm, set up calendar appointments and search the web with Google. Pretty clear bi-directional audio and snappy. A couple of times, it could not make out some of my words but after speaking more clearly it understood. I will be very honest that I will most likely only use voice control when I'm driving.

I will probably never use it in public and don't want the hassles of troubleshooting if the app captures my commands incorrectly. I witnessed in front of my eyes my friend trying to use SIRI trying to figure out the time it takes to drive from Orlando to Miami and it just did not work. After 10 minutes of trying, he just tapped on the phone and typed it in. Maybe when I'm cooking or doing laundry I may use voice control but seriously, sometimes these occasions are best times to focus 100% your time on.

All in all, pretty good and does the job I need it to do.
    02-18-13 10:09 AM
    Yes. But, Google Now is better.

My wife has a Nexus 4 and my daughter has an I Phone. We did some testing. One thing that Voice Control does best is set appointments. Google Now is best at searching.

One example is looking for movie times. Google Now shows you each movie and theaters and times. Voice Control uses Bing and after the search you have to enable Local Access each time. Then, it gives you the same kind of local information as Google Now.

Here is another example. I was listening to the radio and an obscure song by the 80s group Quarterflash was on. I did a Google Now search and it surprisingly understood what I was asking for and gave me good info. Voice Control looked for "1/4 Flash" and gave me junk in return.

Still, Voice Control is pretty good. I just wish it would use Google and not Bing.

Posted via CB10
    I was blown away by Google Now, frankly. It sets the bar in that arena, IMHO.

Like Google Maps, I don't think BBRY's offering should necessarily have to blow it away; a functional placeholder would be well received.
    02-18-13 12:03 PM
    I was blown away by Google Now, frankly. It sets the bar in that arena, IMHO.

Like Google Maps, I don't think BBRY's offering should necessarily have to blow it away; a functional placeholder would be well received.
    Yes, Google Now is very impressive. I'm hoping that Blackberry 10, as it matures and comes into its own, will have a similar offering. I suspect they will, but it will take some time to catch up to Google. Apple's in the same boat as Blackberry in that regard, imho. I agree that Blackberry's initial offering doesn't need to be as impressive as Google Now either, just a start would suit me fine. And I truly believe they are already 'on it' at the dev level (deep in the bowels of Blackberry HQ).

Android has come a long way since the first time I've encountered the OS. I have an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet and put on a 'hack' of Jelly Bean (TeamEOS, Asus won't release Jelly Bean for the TF101 I believe). Anyway, impressed with how the OS has matured. Still not my favourite, obviously, but I get why other users like it. I DO like the Swipe Down from top left to get Notifications, and from top right to get shortcuts to turning on / off certain settings. My guess is Blackberry's 'equivalent' will live on the somewhat barebones 'Notification' page that appears when you wake up the phone (well, you kinda do a half swipe if you don't want it to go to an active frame, or whatever you were last using)....
    02-18-13 12:39 PM
    Sorry, but I need to address this.

Let me narrow down the resulting attitudes and responses to this post. It's a BB enthusiasts site which is fantastic for getting help and knowledge from a lot of great members on this site.

So we can start with the naming of this thread:

"Voice Control is totally useless!"

Really? .. I've used it and it's pretty good and does what I need it to do.. Could it be better yes. Could even the topic have been worded like this?

"BB voice control needs work.. Here's why"

It all in how you make your statement or state your question. If it was worded as the latter and the context followed accordingly I'm sure the OP would have had no problems getting the answers he/she was looking for and/or the issues off his/her chest.

I've learned don't create a negative environment on an enthusiasts site if you want to be heard or helped. You're just inviting a bunch of flaming to rain down on you. And this just doesn't go for this site but any other site I belong. A little respect for the product and the members go a long way and in the end you'll get the help you need and the attention you deserve.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 02-18-13 at 04:24 PM.
    02-18-13 01:19 PM
    Come on BB Fix this stupid frustrating APP that does not work.
    04-04-14 11:25 AM
49 12