I suppose you could call it a limitation of BB10. Personally, as a developer, I wasn't happy that some other developer could create an application that would interfere with the operation of my application or data. I consider that a limitation in BBOS. I could go on at lengh but the TL;DR is that BBOS with all installed images was one large JavaME application running in a single JVM. RIM was very good at controlling what third party applications could do, but as they added features the permission matrix got too complicated. The only way they could fix that was to give it less fine granulation. Ultimately the only way to move forward was to replace the OS.

The API True Caller will need to port to BB10 has been announced for 10.3. The API was not available in early versions of BBOS. One difference between BlackBerry and other smartphone provides is that they fully analyze the security implications of releasing an API before making it broadly available. This is the difference between real security that enables privacy and security theater that may make you feel good, but doesn't really provide anything at all.

So I have to ask, if BB10 has so many "limitations" why are you using it? Is it perhaps that even with all these "limitations" BB10 is still a better mobile OS? Consider that BB10 doesn't provide the same facilities as other mobile OSs, not because BlackBerry forgot to implement them, but because BB10, like BBOS before it, is the result of a specific development methodology designed to provide a secure operating environment.
    The reason I am on BB10 is because it is one of the most intuitive OS I have ever come across and it is not about what it can do and what it cannot, but rather how it is one of the fastest developing systems as well. But, having said that, and also being a hardcore BlackBerry user since last five years, I have to say that the perception that BlackBerry phones are only used by people who are very conscious about security and usually deal with sensitive data is a bit too far stretched.

There are a lot of consumers or prosumers like me who use BlackBerry devices for reasons which are varied, including reliability, uniqueness and so on...and I understand what BlackBerry does, and it definitely has a reason to jot implement certain things if they don't find it secure enough.

And I just realised we have completely gone on a different tangent. I am talking about detailing now. The OS is gaining a good shape now, and the next level is detailing. The small innovations go a long way for any technology company, and that's what I, as a consumer, am trying to point out. The areas where BlackBerry needs to go further, so much that it's hard to compete with them.

At times, with all the security which BlackBerry has goes down the drain if someone who might get access to your phone by fluke and ends up messing around with your phone, and I'm not talking about dirty magazines which one needs to hide, but maybe some information in my BBM chat which I might not want to share with that person (whom I have given my phone to watch a video I have made), even if they are my family. And I work independently and do not want to manage my phone through BES. Does that mean I, as a consumer will never have an option of being at peace that all my data is intrinsically secured on the phone and no one apart from me has access to it? Isn't that what BlackBerry's strength is? And even if you disagree with me, it is fine, but I think it is very legitimate of me to expect BlackBerry to figure out how to implement this feature in the current scenario as well, because they have the most secured system and they are the experts in that. The iPhone hasn't figured this out yet and I expect BlackBerry to, because they sell because their USP is security! What's the point of fireproofing the castle from outside when anyone, who is intelligent enough, can enter the castle and burn it from inside? I know it's a very dramatic example but that's something I expect BlackBerry to address! And also from you as a developer, to figure this out, so it is tamper proof in every way possible!

On my awesome Zed 10!
    07-01-14 04:05 PM
    The reason I am on BB10 is because it is one of the most intuitive OS I have ever come across and it is not about what it can do and what it cannot, but rather how it is one of the fastest developing systems as well. But, having said that, and also being a hardcore BlackBerry user since last five years, I have to say that the perception that BlackBerry phones are only used by people who are very conscious about security and usually deal with sensitive data is a bit too far stretched.

There are a lot of consumers or prosumers like me who use BlackBerry devices for reasons which are varied, including reliability, uniqueness and so on...and I understand what BlackBerry does, and it definitely has a reason to jot implement certain things if they don't find it secure enough.

And I just realised we have completely gone on a different tangent. I am talking about detailing now. The OS is gaining a good shape now, and the next level is detailing. The small innovations go a long way for any technology company, and that's what I, as a consumer, am trying to point out. The areas where BlackBerry needs to go further, so much that it's hard to compete with them.

At times, with all the security which BlackBerry has goes down the drain if someone who might get access to your phone by fluke and ends up messing around with your phone, and I'm not talking about dirty magazines which one needs to hide, but maybe some information in my BBM chat which I might not want to share with that person (whom I have given my phone to watch a video I have made), even if they are my family. And I work independently and do not want to manage my phone through BES. Does that mean I, as a consumer will never have an option of being at peace that all my data is intrinsically secured on the phone and no one apart from me has access to it? Isn't that what BlackBerry's strength is? And even if you disagree with me, it is fine, but I think it is very legitimate of me to expect BlackBerry to figure out how to implement this feature in the current scenario as well, because they have the most secured system and they are the experts in that. The iPhone hasn't figured this out yet and I expect BlackBerry to, because they sell because their USP is security! What's the point of fireproofing the castle from outside when anyone, who is intelligent enough, can enter the castle and burn it from inside? I know it's a very dramatic example but that's something I expect BlackBerry to address! And also from you as a developer, to figure this out, so it is tamper proof in every way possible!

On my awesome Zed 10!
    I don't disagree with you at all except with what you require. If your BBM conversations are that sensitive that you don't want someone in your family to see them; and I can understand that being a very legitimate position, then BlackBerry already has you covered. You need a BES. That will give you Balance and the work partition. Conduct your sensitive operations there, and your personal activities that you want to share with your family and friends in the personal partition.

I was invited to attend a pre-release information session for the PlayBook in Waterloo. They discussed a lot of things there, but one of the was that BlackBerry users were saying exactly what you are. They were finding their customers were carrying two devices, one for work, and one for personal. Usually a BBOS device for work, The reason for the non BBOS device ran the whole gammut that I'm sure you've heard. RIM (at the time) looke at the situation and came up with Balance that was first available on TableOS based on QNX that has evolved into BB10.

So you see, BlackBerry, the mobile security expers, have listened to this issue from customers and come up with a solution. Just because you, or other consumers don't think you need that level of security doesn't mean you are righ.

https://caenterprisestore.ecomm.weba...tml#prod-tab-3
    07-01-14 05:33 PM
    OP said he didn't want it done through BES but would rather have it built in to the OS, so that anyone can use it.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 02:54 AM
    It could be a great idea from a security perspective but can be annoying as hell for a typical user. Imagine entering a password every time you want to enter the Hub. Tapping a contact, you're going to be asked for a password again. Attaching a photo to your message, password again. It could be counter-productive and time consuming. In my opinion, a single password, or a picture password, is enough.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-14 03:22 AM
    OP said he didn't want it done through BES but would rather have it built in to the OS, so that anyone can use it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for pointing that for me. Couldn't stress that enough.

On my awesome Zed 10!
    07-02-14 11:17 AM
    It could be a great idea from a security perspective but can be annoying as hell for a typical user. Imagine entering a password every time you want to enter the Hub. Tapping a contact, you're going to be asked for a password again. Attaching a photo to your message, password again. It could be counter-productive and time consuming. In my opinion, a single password, or a picture password, is enough.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    As I said before, it needs to be figured out. And should entirely be optional. Everyone won't require it.

On my awesome Zed 10!
    07-02-14 11:19 AM
    I don't disagree with you at all except with what you require. If your BBM conversations are that sensitive that you don't want someone in your family to see them; and I can understand that being a very legitimate position, then BlackBerry already has you covered. You need a BES. That will give you Balance and the work partition. Conduct your sensitive operations there, and your personal activities that you want to share with your family and friends in the personal partition.

I was invited to attend a pre-release information session for the PlayBook in Waterloo. They discussed a lot of things there, but one of the was that BlackBerry users were saying exactly what you are. They were finding their customers were carrying two devices, one for work, and one for personal. Usually a BBOS device for work, The reason for the non BBOS device ran the whole gammut that I'm sure you've heard. RIM (at the time) looke at the situation and came up with Balance that was first available on TableOS based on QNX that has evolved into BB10.

So you see, BlackBerry, the mobile security expers, have listened to this issue from customers and come up with a solution. Just because you, or other consumers don't think you need that level of security doesn't mean you are righ.

https://caenterprisestore.ecomm.weba...tml#prod-tab-3
    Whatever you are saying completely makes sense and I really appreciate you taking time out to explain it meticulously.

Although, as I mentioned before and as also pointed by another member, I am talking about a situation where a normal user like me can take advantage of the security without having to go through the financial and logistical hassle of getting a BES subscription, I want it right out of the box, and no special subscription needed.

Thanks again for your post

On my awesome Zed 10!
    Last edited by Anadi Athaley; 07-02-14 at 02:34 PM.
    07-02-14 11:25 AM
    Whatever you are saying completely makes sense and I really appreciate you taking time out to explain it meticulously.

Although, as I mentioned before and as also pointed by another member, I am talking about a situation where a normal user like me can take advantage of the security without having to go through the financial and logistical hassle of getting a BES subscription, I want it right out of the box, and no special subscription needed.

Thanks again for your post

On my awesome Zed 10!
    Yes I know what you are asking for, but you don't understand the implications of what you are asking. BlackBerry provides the service you want, but you don't want to path the monetary and infrastructure costs of using that solution. You want them to provide a "simpler" solution for free, and believe that this is possible because you don't need the same level of security provided by BES, so it should be less expensive for them to implement.

Security in IT systems doesn't work this way. Each time you want to control access to some feature of the OS it requires a run-time privilege change from User level to Administrative level (often call root after the name of the administrative user on Unix based systems). The system can not verify the signature to unlock pictures at the user level, because then a user level program would be able to bypass the check. Every point in the system where that happens is an opportunity for flaws in the software to introduce a vulnerability. Very frequently such vulnerabilities don't just allow compromise of the feature being added, but important parts of the system. The Heart Bleed bug for example was introduced with a feature that was designed for use in UDP based systems, but made all users of OpenSSL, even TCP based web sites vulnerable. So a feature like you're asking for, implemented on a shoe string budget could put the whole OS at risk. And not just for people using that feature.

Then there is the issue of reputation. Your ask here is based on BlackBerry's reputation for security. But it wouldn't take people long to latch onto a poorly implemented solution and begin to wonder about the rest of their products. If you don't believe this you should listen to Security Now podcast 462 where Steve talks about ProtonMail starting at 28 minutes in. As Steve says: "... a company like this that is asserting that they are doing things absolutely correctly, needs to only offer only secure things."
    07-03-14 06:08 AM
    I have tried a number of app locks in playstore but so far this is the best I have tried. You don't need to lock your phone first to activate it. Once you get out of that app, it locks. And after trying a number of times, it hasn't failed me yet. Keep it up!
    08-02-16 10:14 PM
34 12