Apple has stated that they spend well over $1B/year (I believe about $1.3B) to develop and maintain the iOS platform. Google spends nearly $2B/year, and MS has spent over $1B/year (not counting the billion per year they were paying Nokia) on WinPhone. The costs of developing and maintaining an entire platform is extremely expensive, and there's simply no way to take shortcuts or the quality will obviously suffer (as BB proved, with lack of things like area reps to visit stores, train staff, and maintain in-store displays).

Jolla has been working on Sailfish for about 4 years, as open source. How spectacular is the OS? Is it full-featured? Lots of developer support? Carrier support? After-sale service? Lots of your friends use them? No? Why not? Because Jolla doesn't have any money to spend, and without a ton of money, there's just too much to do and not enough time to do it. A smartphone OS and platform is NOT a weekend project...
    Are you able to post authority for this? Also, it should be noted that Apple has no incentive to publicize this number unless it's to intimidate potential OS competitors from trying to compete.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 01:43 PM
    Also, we should ask how much is BlackBerry spending now? How many more features (not apps) do any of us want?

Let's say BlackBerry is spending $10 million a year on BB10. (A high estimate, I believe.). Are we happy with the OS with security and browser updates? I am. It has such a solid foundation that this is all it needs.

I think BlackBerry could spend less than $100 million easily.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 01:47 PM
    Also, we should ask how much is BlackBerry spending now? How many more features (not apps) do any of us want?

Let's say BlackBerry is spending $10 million a year on BB10. (A high estimate, I believe.). Are we happy with the OS with security and browser updates? I am. It has such a solid foundation that this is all it needs.

I think BlackBerry could spend less than $100 million easily.

Posted via CB10
    That's your opinion. I'm not happy with the browser. In my opinion it's utter garbage. I try to read websites and auto-play videos take over my screen, or ads cover up half the readable text. I wouldn't have even bought my Passport if I hadn't already discovered Browsie while I still had my Classic.

One day you may come to realize that your usage case is just that- yours and yours alone.
    zensen and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-01-17 02:22 PM
    That's your opinion. I'm not happy with the browser. In my opinion it's utter garbage. I try to read websites and auto-play videos take over my screen, or ads cover up half the readable text. I wouldn't have even bought my Passport if I hadn't already discovered Browsie while I still had my Classic.

One day you may come to realize that your usage case is just that- yours and yours alone.
    Relax. Did I say BB10 was for everyone? And you found an app to suit your needs. How is Androids stock file manager? Does it have one?

As far as videos taking over, I have found this problem running Chrome on a desktop. Some websites are a mess on any platform.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 03:03 PM
    so at the end of the day, it is about money.
    Always.
    02-01-17 05:19 PM
    Hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but even if this was a viable concept (which I don't think it is) Crowd Sourced funding is dying. There are so many scams more and more people are backing away from getting involved.
    02-01-17 06:17 PM
    Hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but even if this was a viable concept (which I don't think it is) Crowd Sourced funding is dying. There are so many scams more and more people are backing away from getting involved.
    Some are scams, but some are also people who simply weren't realistic about the complexity, difficulty, and cost of bringing products to market. It's a lot harder than most people realize, and often takes longer and costs (a lot) more than people assume. Professional VCs understand this, and are prepared for it, and have systems in place to manage it. Ordinary "crowdfunders" are generally impatient and lack understanding of the process - and are often just as "pie-in-the-sky" as the organizers.
    Tim-ANC and app_Developer like this.
    02-02-17 12:10 AM
    Some are scams, but some are also people who simply weren't realistic about the complexity, difficulty, and cost of bringing products to market. It's a lot harder than most people realize, and often takes longer and costs (a lot) more than people assume. Professional VCs understand this, and are prepared for it, and have systems in place to manage it. Ordinary "crowdfunders" are generally impatient and lack understanding of the process - and are often just as "pie-in-the-sky" as the organizers.
    What's a VC?
    02-02-17 05:24 AM
    Dude, just snap out of it. Enjoy it while you can, remember the good times when it's gone.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    02-02-17 05:50 AM
    What's a VC?
    Venture Capitalist.
    Tim-ANC and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-02-17 06:06 AM
    Venture Capitalist.
    Thanks
    02-02-17 06:24 AM
    in other words, if all 1 million users would invest 5000 USD into the system it would be revitalised
    Hmm let me find that 5 grand first. Can you wait for a couple of years?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 10:06 AM
    Not that I have the list handy, but BB10.3 is THE ultimate choice for governments which is why BlackBerry took the time to get so many security certifications (including the highest security certification in the world) on so much of its products, apps, etc. What we see are older BlackBerry devices that ENDURE. What we don't know are the ToS agreements with governments for expected product lifecycles & replenishment planning. BB10.4 could very well bring about some marketing buzz from the experts at BlackBerry.

 Q10 has been a healthy supplement to my work | life balance. Posted via CB10. BlackBerry has got the juice!
    02-26-17 03:36 PM
    & mine.

 Q10 has been a healthy supplement to my work | life balance. Posted via CB10. BlackBerry has got the juice!
    02-26-17 03:41 PM
    BB10.4 could very well bring about some marketing buzz from the experts at BlackBerry.
    We will be lucky to see 10.3.4.
    10.4 is just not going to happen.
    02-26-17 08:31 PM
    I don't believe you.

02-28-17 05:37 AM
    I don't believe you.
    I'd be willing to put down a significant sum of money to bet that BB10.4 never happens.
    02-28-17 10:16 AM
    I don't believe you.
    Would you say it is more likely or less likely at this point?
    05-15-18 08:10 AM
    Would you say it is more likely or less likely at this point?
    LOL I just downloaded a BB10 update, & I uphold what I said.
    05-15-18 10:00 AM
    LOL I just downloaded a BB10 update, & I uphold what I said.
    What was the version number of the update?
    05-15-18 10:01 AM
    I was wondering, if there is any way to somehow revitalise BB10. I know there are some independent developers, who make great native apps. But my (naive) question is, could it be done with crowdfunding? Can we come up with a reasonable sum so a group of people (probably the ones who were let go from BB) would work on native apps....
    Nope. Enjoy BB10 until 2019/12/31.
    And we will see what will happen from there.
    Worst case, it still is a good phone to receive emails and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 12:08 PM
    Nope. Enjoy BB10 until 2019/12/31.
    And we will see what will happen from there.
    Worst case, it still is a good phone to receive emails and BBM.
    No, worst case, the phones all start bricking or throwing up nonstop errors because some critical background process keeps trying to phone home to a server that is no longer there.

Also, your worst case scenario doesn’t account for the likely event that BBM for BBOS and BB10 is shut down.

So really, best case scenario, emails, SMS, phone calls, and a rapidly deteriorating web browsing experience.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-15-18 01:59 PM
    No, worst case, the phones all start bricking or throwing up nonstop errors because some critical background process keeps trying to phone home to a server that is no longer there.

Also, your worst case scenario doesn’t account for the likely event that BBM for BBOS and BB10 is shut down.

So really, best case scenario, emails, SMS, phone calls, and a rapidly deteriorating web browsing experience.
    I kind of have no idea why everyone is complaining about Web browsing. I have little trouble using native browser and if that happens, I just jump to Qbrowser.

I am not worried about BBM either since I am on BBM enterprise.
    It is likely for others, but not for me.
    If they also shut down the server for BBM enterprise and other enterprise software, well, they will be a goner.
    And I still have the backup plan, aka, iPhone for the daily use.
    I probably just type on Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 06:46 PM
    I kind of have no idea why everyone is complaining about Web browsing. I have little trouble using native browser and if that happens, I just jump to Qbrowser.

I am not worried about BBM either since I am on BBM enterprise.
    It is likely for others, but not for me.
    If they also shut down the server for BBM enterprise and other enterprise software, well, they will be a goner.
    And I still have the backup plan, aka, iPhone for the daily use.
    I probably just type on Passport.

Posted via CB10
    My Web browser is fine as well. No issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 10:13 PM
    My Web browser is fine as well. No issues.

Posted via CB10
    You mustn't use it much then.
    05-15-18 11:08 PM
77 1234