I was wondering, if there is any way to somehow revitalise BB10. I know there are some independent developers, who make great native apps. But my (naive) question is, could it be done with crowdfunding? Can we come up with a reasonable sum so a group of people (probably the ones who were let go from BB) would work on native apps....
    01-31-17 05:50 PM
    One and only way is open source , and probably it never gonna happen

Posted via CB10
    arkenoi likes this.
    01-31-17 05:58 PM
    because of BB? it would not harm them.. i guess
    01-31-17 06:17 PM
    Maybe they spin it off like WebOS. I don't think they have many government users left. We are the only ones that care. But open source means that it's vulnerable to attacks. Others here know about this stuff.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 06:50 PM
    Is BB10 a modification of QNX? I never fully understood that. But I do know BlackBerry considers QNX to be valuable intellectual property (and it is).

Probably never going to happen.
    01-31-17 07:00 PM
    I was wondering, if there is any way to somehow revitalise BB10. I know there are some independent developers, who make great native apps. But my (naive) question is, could it be done with crowdfunding? Can we come up with a reasonable sum so a group of people (probably the ones who were let go from BB) would work on native apps....
    The developers who were let go most likely had found gainful employment and more importantly experienced developers are in demand and they are not cheap.

The only way BB10 ever be revitalized is that someone (with VC backing) pay Prem Wetsa $2-3 billion dollars to buy it off his hands and have $5-10 billion dollars to spend in supporting BB (update the os and more important build a viable system for it).

I am sure some people here would claim that does not cost that much to develop and support a smartphone OS. But just look at the amount money that Google, Apple and even Microsoft spend to support their respective OS's
    01-31-17 07:46 PM
    The developers who were let go most likely had found gainful employment and more importantly experienced developers are in demand and they are not cheap.

The only way BB10 ever be revitalized is that someone (with VC backing) pay Prem Wetsa $2-3 billion dollars to buy it off his hands and have $5-10 billion dollars to spend in supporting BB (update the os and more important build a viable system for it).

I am sure some people here would claim that does not cost that much to develop and support a smartphone OS. But just look at the amount money that Google, Apple and even Microsoft spend to support their respective OS's
    Apple's iphone would be the best comparable since it's a closed system. I don't think they spend that much but who knows?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 10:10 PM
    Apple's iphone would be the best comparable since it's a closed system. I don't think they spend that much but who knows?
    Apple has stated that they spend well over $1B/year (I believe about $1.3B) to develop and maintain the iOS platform. Google spends nearly $2B/year, and MS has spent over $1B/year (not counting the billion per year they were paying Nokia) on WinPhone. The costs of developing and maintaining an entire platform is extremely expensive, and there's simply no way to take shortcuts or the quality will obviously suffer (as BB proved, with lack of things like area reps to visit stores, train staff, and maintain in-store displays).

Jolla has been working on Sailfish for about 4 years, as open source. How spectacular is the OS? Is it full-featured? Lots of developer support? Carrier support? After-sale service? Lots of your friends use them? No? Why not? Because Jolla doesn't have any money to spend, and without a ton of money, there's just too much to do and not enough time to do it. A smartphone OS and platform is NOT a weekend project...
    02-01-17 02:02 AM
    so at the end of the day, it is about money. in you estimation how many bb10 users still using their phone? close to a million? maybe more?
    02-01-17 02:36 AM
    so at the end of the day, it is about money. in you estimation how many bb10 users still using their phone? close to a million? maybe more?
    probably more than 1 million but its small potatoes in grand scheme
    02-01-17 05:54 AM
    in other words, if all 1 million users would invest 5000 USD into the system it would be revitalised
    02-01-17 06:26 AM
    SO this could be an investment. Instead of buying 5 new phones you make your existing phone working.....
    02-01-17 06:29 AM
    in other words, if all 1 million users would invest 5000 USD into the system it would be revitalised
    Yeah, well... if I suddenly had an extra 5 grand just sitting around ready to throw away, There's plenty of other things I'd rather be spending it on than someone else's money pit.

Joel
    02-01-17 07:08 AM
    SO this could be an investment. Instead of buying 5 new phones you make your existing phone working.....
    really?? and what part of that makes any sense whatsoever to you....
    zephyr613 and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-01-17 07:15 AM
    Oh, is that all? Just let me know where to send it!
    02-01-17 08:10 AM
    Send them to me. PM coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-01-17 09:01 AM
    One and only way is open source , and probably it never gonna happen

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Personally, the reason I don't think Blackberry would open source BB10 is purely because I believe it's absolutely riddled with bugs/vulnerabilities but no one has really tried to find them because Blackberry has 0.1% of the market (and that figure INCLUDES business users) from what I read last night. What kind of hacker is going to go after 0.1% of the market - none. That's why they go after android/iOS.

But I don't want to talk about the security aspect of it all - I want to talk about revitalising BB10. If BB10 was open-sourced with Blackberry still in charge, I truly believe it could become a competitor to Android. Imagine it - loads of developers working all around the world, building new functionality into BB10 - Blackberry still push the updates to every device.... it'd be incredible. However, Blackberry have made it abundantly clear that they're now moving to Android - and they will push out the very rare update to BB10 for small security/privacy patches.
    02-01-17 09:12 AM
    Imagine it - loads of developers working all around the world, building new functionality into BB10
    Who's paying these loads of developers? Or are they supposed to work on BB10 for free out of the goodness of their hearts?
    02-01-17 09:23 AM
    Who's paying these loads of developers? Or are they supposed to work on BB10 for free out of the goodness of their hearts?
    For some reason it always comes down to some weird expectation of charity. Only the goodwill of the human race can save BB10. The feel-good movie of 2017!
    02-01-17 09:27 AM
    Or you pay $5billion, that'd have a slightly higher chance of happening.
    BigBadWulf, shahyaz and Ronindan like this.
    02-01-17 09:28 AM
    Or you pay $5billion, that'd have a slightly higher chance of happening.
    I concur. I've already bought a new BlackBerry 10 device every year since launch. How much more effort can I put in without going bankrupt? Please, if you have the spare funds. Wire it to Waterloo. And give me some as well while you're at it!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 09:54 AM
    I concur. I've already bought a new BlackBerry 10 device every year since launch. How much more effort can I put in without going bankrupt? Please, if you have the spare funds. Wire it to Waterloo. And give me some as well while you're at it!

Posted via CB10
    If every person on earth donated one dollar, we could cover the development costs of Blackberry 10 for 5 more years.

JUST ONE DOLLAR, PEOPLE!!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-01-17 10:14 AM
    Tonight on BlackBerry 10, with the OS losing apps and support, only one thing can save us all, the charity of mankind.

Yup were hosed

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 10:41 AM
    If every person on earth donated one dollar, we could cover the development costs of Blackberry 10 for 5 more years.

JUST ONE DOLLAR, PEOPLE!!

*cue photos of sad businessmen*
    02-01-17 10:44 AM
    Tonight on BlackBerry 10, with the OS losing apps and support, only one thing can save us all, the charity of mankind.

Yup were hosed
    Drg84 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-01-17 11:07 AM
77 123 ...