Wai wai wai wai waiiiiit a minute.... just to be clear: is it cents or sense?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 08:57 AM
    The price was right, but most of the shareholders agreed that it should stay a true Dutch company. That's why they didn't launch a lawsuit.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    I would like to look into this for interest. Can you send a link?
    08-17-17 09:39 AM
    Wai wai wai wai waiiiiit a minute.... just to be clear: is it cents or sense?
    It's all noncents.
    08-17-17 09:44 AM
    Haha nice.
    08-17-17 09:46 AM
    Lies! All lies! Fake news! BB10 is the only profitable product Blackberry ever had!
    It's peanuts though. I know about QNX in cars. It doesn't generate much income. That was my point.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 12:03 PM
    It's peanuts though. I know about QNX in cars. It doesn't generate much income. That was my point.
    That's true. The revenue per car is pretty low from what I have read. About a buck and some change, if memory serves.

Auto makers had a lucky break in that infotainment systems came of age pretty late relative to the rest of the mobile industry. They had the benefit of hindsight and could see how revenue is generated and how to avoid costs. They farm out their OS development costs to others for a low flat rate per car. They demand that they retain ownership of analytics flowing from the dashboard. They form partnerships that give them revenue, not the OS vendor.
    08-17-17 12:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    At this point think BlackBerry should restructure their reporting on revenues.

What many fail to "get" is that for years BlackBerry has tried to hype any positive that they could. Both QNX for Automotive and for IoT were products that they hoped investors (and maybe a company buyer) would see a huge potentials. They caught a few uninformed investors in their net, but not enough and certainly not someone willing to pay a premium for the company.

For a solid software company that BlackBerry only paid $200 million for seven year ago... revenues are probable great. Certainly much better than what the greatly hyped BBM Channels is bring in now.
    08-17-17 01:54 PM
    At this point think BlackBerry should restructure their reporting on revenues.

What many fail to "get" is that for years BlackBerry has tried to hype any positive that they could. Both QNX for Automotive and for IoT were products that they hoped investors (and maybe a company buyer) would see a huge potentials. They caught a few uninformed investors in their net, but not enough and certainly not someone willing to pay a premium for the company.

For a solid software company that BlackBerry only paid $200 million for seven year ago... revenues are probable great. Certainly much better than what the greatly hyped BBM Channels is bring in now.
    I'm sure QNX has been a good purchase. It's just not something that can drive the whole company. For that, Chen will need... need... um... I'm not sure what he will need to work. Maybe Chen can buy Apple or at least stock in Apple.

At the next shareholder meeting: "We are very proud to announce we will merging with the best hardware company in the world by purchasing a .01 percent interest in Apple. I just received a text from our broker and we completed our stock trade. This is much better than buying an anonymous start up and earning nothing, right?"

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 04:51 PM

At the next shareholder meeting: "We are very proud to announce we will merging with the best hardware company in the world by purchasing a .01 percent interest in Apple. "

Posted via CB10
    That would still cost $80m!
    08-17-17 05:05 PM
    At the next shareholder meeting: "We are very proud to announce we will merging with the best hardware company in the world by purchasing a .01 percent interest in Apple. I just received a text from our broker and we completed our stock trade. This is much better than buying an anonymous start up and earning nothing, right?"

VC group interested in buying BB10-30-5-tjmiller.w710.h473.jpg

That sounds like Erlich Bachman in Silicon Valley:

"Between BB and Apple, we are worth hundreds of billions and control the most important smartphone customers in the world!"
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-17-17 08:10 PM
    What auto business? You mean the imaginary one that Chen talks about each quarter during his stammering earnings conference calls where he hides behind his poor English skills?

Posted via CB10
    Last time I check it's going into every Ford made. To name one player in the auto business. This is still a going business that will get huge....as long as they don't mess It up
    08-17-17 11:48 PM
    This one:

"Colin Bird, senior analyst of automotive technology at IHS Markit, told Business Insider that Blackberry QNX is currently the leader in the connected car space, which includes infotainment, navigation, telematics, and rear-seat entertainment. QNX has a market share of about 47% and its closest competitor is Linux with 20% market share."

And this one:

"Blackberry is looking to get a slice of the self-driving car space by offering a secure, integrated platform to support self-driving car software later on. (Doing so also gives Blackberry some cushion to ensure its product stays in cars as they evolve.)

As part of that aim, Blackberry has opened an Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Centre in Ontario, where it was also approved to test self-driving cars on public roads."

And this one:

"Heavy Duty Trucking has compiled a top 20 list of key products in 2017 and BlackBerry Radar Asset Tracking made the short-list. HDT's editors get to see so many new products in the trucking industry and selected products based off their level of innovation, ability to address significant industry issues and potential to benefits to a truck fleet's bottom line."
    Ya BlackBerry radar is pretty huge in this industry , still early.
    08-17-17 11:49 PM
    Lies! All lies! Fake news! BB10 is the only profitable product Blackberry ever had!
    Profit and bb10 in the same sentence is an oxymoron
    08-17-17 11:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Like I said...its still early
    08-17-17 11:51 PM
    Last time I check it's going into every Ford made. To name one player in the auto business. This is still a going business that will get huge....as long as they don't mess It up
    From what I've read, it's only the kernel and not the OS and could be replaced easily. That is why BlackBerry can't charge a huge premium.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 12:21 AM
    Ford was a HUGE win for QNX, but then we don't know what it took for QNX to land the Ford deal. Sometimes you take a contract at a loss, in order to get noticed by others or just to keep the competition out..... I expect that if QNX was on the edge of greatness then so much of the executive staff wouldn't have bailed over the last two years.
    08-18-17 07:29 AM
    Ford was a HUGE win for QNX, but then we don't know what it took for QNX to land the Ford deal. Sometimes you take a contract at a loss, in order to get noticed by others or just to keep the competition out..... I expect that if QNX was on the edge of greatness then so much of the executive staff wouldn't have bailed over the last two years.
    My Ford SUV does not have QNX.
    08-18-17 07:41 AM
    Ford was a HUGE win for QNX, but then we don't know what it took for QNX to land the Ford deal.
    400 enginners that involved in the law suit? engineers nowadays are in short supply south of the boarder ;-).
    08-18-17 08:33 AM
    My Ford SUV does not have QNX.
    You wouldn't likely see it as QNX. Think about Mac's OS on their laptops. Underneath all the fancy screens is some sort of Unix variant. You just don't see it.
    08-18-17 08:35 AM
    You wouldn't likely see it as QNX. Think about Mac's OS on their laptops. Underneath all the fancy screens is some sort of Unix variant. You just don't see it.
    What screens? It's a 2000 Ford Excursion ;-) I've got a CD player/cassette player where adapter goes into for iTunes/iPhone. LOL

I'm pretty sure my Excursion doesn't have QNX. I bought around same time as first BlackBerry.
    08-18-17 09:21 AM
    What screens? It's a 2000 Ford Excursion ;-) I've got a CD player/cassette player where adapter goes into for iTunes/iPhone. LOL

I'm pretty sure my Excursion doesn't have QNX. I bought around same time as first BlackBerry.
    Ah, OK, you got me on that one!
    08-18-17 10:24 AM
    As one of the few people replying to this thread who works on with embedded systems for a living, the following post is to make some of ya'll look like idiots and asshats.

TLDR: A VC buying BB10 makes sense, if the price is right.

For starters, technically BB10 isn't just a "Mobile OS". That term is mostly used for lay people, to let them know that the focus of the operating system is for mobile communications. Would you consider Android to be a Mobile OS? Well I have it on an sd card, and use it on a mips desktop... I've seen it on video game consoles, tvs, desktop computers, tables... A big *** table is not very mobile.

BB10 and other "Mobile OS" are just Embedded OSs with graphics output. They're operating systems designed for RISC processors. IE they not designed for X86/64, what you might know as PC or Intel computers.

Does BB10 have a lot of stuff for cellphones? Yes. Does it have to be only used for Cell Phones? No. BB10 could run on a large variety of Cortex-A53 devices with some port work. And with a little more work be expanded to other ARM archs.

This means BB10 could be used in other things. IoT, ATMs, Kiosks, TVs, etc. Anything that runs ARM CPU and has a graphical output would be a potential candidate to run BB10. Not just a cellphone.

So why would a VC want to buy BB10? How much did BB10 cost to make? It costs millions of dollars and years of work to make an OS. Even taking a open source OS, and converting it to work with your IOT device is not a simple task. It costs even more money and time to make an OS secure. Look how much flack various IoT devices are getting for their security holes in the versions of Linux they're using lately. What if you could save 3 years of development time just buying an existing, secure, embedded OS? Sure, you might spend another year getting it to work, and it will cost the same amount of money. But your product comes out to the market 3 years earlier.

You could secure Linux in probably the same amount of time as porting BB10 to your IoT/ATM/etc device. But what if you need security certs? What if you need to keep kernel/userland changes closed source? What if you wanted a marketable difference than every other device out there? In various products where embedded security is a essential, BB10 would not be a bad choice vs rolling out a new OS or securing and certing Linux.

Why would BB want to sell BB10? Because BB10 is dead. It gives them some cash off of dead assets. While BB10 is QNX, they could still sell BB10, without losing QNX. They simply license QNX to the VC's. Either a subscription/royalty, or just a one time here is the kernel/userland/programs that is used in bb10 that we retain the rights to, you can fork it as you please, type license. You then sell all the code that is not used in the various QNX system's BB works on.

This sort of deal will only happen if the price is right. If BB is willing to sell BB10 low enough where it is cheaper for the VC's to use it than it is for them to use something else, then it could happen.

A VC is very unlikely to use BB10 as a phone OS. It's a dead market. But there are many places where BB10 could be use. Many ATMs in the world are using IBM OS/2 or Win XP embedded... One day these systems will need to be updated. LG TV's are using WebOS , a former Cellphone OS. Tizen and Firefox OS are also rolled into some TVs if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of applications that could use a secure QNX variant. Even some that would make use of the BB10 communication systems, such as the previously mentioned IoT devices. So It does make sense if someone is interested in buying it.

Those of you who want major updates to your BB10 phones, don't get fill with hope. BB10 on cellphones is dead, no matter who owns it.

Will BB sell it? Doubt anyone will offer enough for BB to budge on it yet. But it is not such a stretch to see a VC interested in buying it. Nor would I be surprised if BB unloads it to someone at some point. It worked for HP and WebOS...
    elfabio80, stlabrat and dmlis like this.
    08-18-17 01:59 PM
    Hmmmmmmm.

You may well have an argument there.
    08-18-17 03:57 PM
    As one of the few people replying to this thread who works on with embedded systems for a living, the following post is to make some of ya'll look like idiots and asshats.

This is CrackBerry! How dare you to bring logical thinking into the debate!! Away with ye!

dmlis likes this.
    08-18-17 04:05 PM

For starters, technically BB10 isn't just a "Mobile OS". That term is mostly used for lay people, to let them know that the focus of the operating system is for mobile communications. Would you consider Android to be a Mobile OS? Well I have it on an sd card, and use it on a mips desktop... I've seen it on video game consoles, tvs, desktop computers, tables... A big *** table is not very mobile.

BB10 and other "Mobile OS" are just Embedded OSs with graphics output. They're operating systems designed for RISC processors. IE they not designed for X86/64, what you might know as PC or Intel computers.

Does BB10 have a lot of stuff for cellphones? Yes. Does it have to be only used for Cell Phones? No. BB10 could run on a large variety of Cortex-A53 devices with some port work. And with a little more work be expanded to other ARM archs.

This means BB10 could be used in other things. IoT, ATMs, Kiosks, TVs, etc. Anything that runs ARM CPU and has a graphical output would be a potential candidate to run BB10. Not just a cellphone.

So why would a VC want to buy BB10? How much did BB10 cost to make? It costs millions of dollars and years of work to make an OS. Even taking a open source OS, and converting it to work with your IOT device is not a simple task. It costs even more money and time to make an OS secure. Look how much flack various IoT devices are getting for their security holes in the versions of Linux they're using lately. What if you could save 3 years of development time just buying an existing, secure, embedded OS? Sure, you might spend another year getting it to work, and it will cost the same amount of money. But your product comes out to the market 3 years earlier.

You could secure Linux in probably the same amount of time as porting BB10 to your IoT/ATM/etc device. But what if you need security certs? What if you need to keep kernel/userland changes closed source? What if you wanted a marketable difference than every other device out there? In various products where embedded security is a essential, BB10 would not be a bad choice vs rolling out a new OS or securing and certing Linux.

Why would BB want to sell BB10? Because BB10 is dead. It gives them some cash off of dead assets. While BB10 is QNX, they could still sell BB10, without losing QNX. They simply license QNX to the VC's. Either a subscription/royalty, or just a one time here is the kernel/userland/programs that is used in bb10 that we retain the rights to, you can fork it as you please, type license. You then sell all the code that is not used in the various QNX system's BB works on.

This sort of deal will only happen if the price is right. If BB is willing to sell BB10 low enough where it is cheaper for the VC's to use it than it is for them to use something else, then it could happen.

A VC is very unlikely to use BB10 as a phone OS. It's a dead market. But there are many places where BB10 could be use. Many ATMs in the world are using IBM OS/2 or Win XP embedded... One day these systems will need to be updated. LG TV's are using WebOS , a former Cellphone OS. Tizen and Firefox OS are also rolled into some TVs if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of applications that could use a secure QNX variant. Even some that would make use of the BB10 communication systems, such as the previously mentioned IoT devices. So It does make sense if someone is interested in buying it.

Those of you who want major updates to your BB10 phones, don't get fill with hope. BB10 on cellphones is dead, no matter who owns it.

Will BB sell it? Doubt anyone will offer enough for BB to budge on it yet. But it is not such a stretch to see a VC interested in buying it. Nor would I be surprised if BB unloads it to someone at some point. It worked for HP and WebOS...
    Just for clarification, I'm still not going to find QNX in my Excursion am I? BB10 I got covered, there's usually an old device buried in my SUV for backup and 911 calls.
    08-18-17 04:20 PM
63 123