Hello everyone,

So I recently saw that there is an upcoming LG/Audi smartwatch based on Web OS, which surprised me as I thought web OS had gone the way of the dodo.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, be sure to Google it. Watch looks great and I love the OS. My question as somebody who doesn't know much about this is: is it likely to work with BB10? And if more webos smartwatches appear could we finally get in on the action? I certainly hope so.

Cheers

JB

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 04:51 PM
    LG bought webOS a while back. Many of their recent Smart TVs use it for their OS & UI.

Can't comment about BB10 compatibility, sorry.
    01-13-15 05:03 PM
    If it will be compatible with android phones i think it will be also compatible with our BB ( .apk and Android runtime)
    01-13-15 05:18 PM
    Isn't the. Apk deal the same with the Sony Smartwatch though? And doesn't that only have very limited capabilities with BB?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 05:20 PM
    Isn't the. Apk deal the same with the Sony Smartwatch though? And doesn't that only have very limited capabilities with BB?

Posted via CB10
    True, they could pull a Samsung and make their software ONLY work for 'their' whitelisted devices and make it so their little 'software ecosystems' only work with 'their' products..

God, like I'm going to go buy a Samsung phone just so I can start my laundry while I'm at work with a Samsung washing machine..

Dear lord these companies aren't very bright.

Nonetheless and back on topic, it'll depend on if they make it so it works on all android devices or if they limit it to a few whitelisted devices.

Hopefully it will be similar to say, the simplicity of the Pebble and we can just run an .apk to access the device and we can get a third-party dev to jump in and close the gap for the rest of the features!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-13-15 10:31 PM
    WebOS seems like it would work on bb410 since it wouldn't rely on proprietary drivers or api's like Play Services.

The way I envision it is a multi platform watch developed for not only Android but iOS and maybe WP to bridge the gap in smartwatches due to the Android Wear OS which requires google services and will not work currently on bb10. Most BT phones should be able to sync to it for at least basic notification functionality.

As of now, our smartwatch choices are limited to the Pebble (which I own) and the Sony smartwatch which apparently works for basic notifications. I would love a G watch R, but I was not able to get it to work even with my 10.3 Passport with Cobalt Google services hack and a patched Android Wear .apk with dependences removed. I tried for quite some time .

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    01-13-15 10:40 PM