I'm digging more into the email issue.

Shaw uses Zimbra email servers. They don't allow Outlook to connect via EAS, nor do they offer IMAP.

This is where I like BIS - I can delete emails that may be of confidential nature from my phone and still leave them on the server for my PC to download.

With no BIS on BB10, I'm stuck using EAS, but that means I'm not able to remove emails that I don't want on my phone but do want to retain for future reference.

That leaves me with POP3 for the phone - drawbacks there? Shaw doesn't allow SMTP connections from outside their network. Then there's also the data consumption of polling 5 POP3 email boxes every 15 minutes.

So if I want to send emails, I need to be set up using EAS. But that also means that any confidential emails on the phone remain accessible to anyone who may be using my phone.

What am I missing here?
    03-21-13 12:50 PM
    This is a concern! Been a Shaw customer for years and used bis to retrieve mail.
    There does seem to be a solution for bb10. Now I just forward same to Outlook on the sky drive. Painful!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 01:41 PM
    Shaw uses Zimbra email servers. They don't allow Outlook to connect via EAS, nor do they offer IMAP.

You never explicitly state that Shaw supports EAS. If they do, I do not think there is any way for them to prevent you from connecting any EAS-compatible client to their server. There are EAS clients for Outlook, but they are not native to Outlook prior to Outlook 2013. Microsoft called theirs "Outlook Connector". Here is info on that and some other similiar things:

Tutorial on Outlook Connector Interfaces

That leaves me with POP3 for the phone - drawbacks there? Shaw doesn't allow SMTP connections from outside their network.
    That isn't going to be an issue unless you're on WiFi. If you need to relay mail while on WiFi, there are a variety of providers that provide SMTP relay service.

Then there's also the data consumption of polling 5 POP3 email boxes every 15 minutes.
    Really silly to stick with POP3 and poll a bunch of email boxes.

What's the deal with Shaw, are you stuck with them because all your email addresses are "@shaw.ca"? For your "internal" email addresses like the ones you use for notifications and so on, that shouldn't be a big deal to change. For the emails that are public that people email you at, that's different. You can either forward messages to another provider from Shaw during the transition, or many email services like Outlook.com and Gmail have an ability to pick up your POP messages right into your new mailbox if you want, if your provider won't forward them. (Many won't, they want to make it difficult to migrate somewhere else)

There are services designed for the specific purpose of moving away from a previous email provider:

YippieMove | The easy email transfer service.
    https://movemymail.net/
    https://www.migrationwiz.com/
    03-24-13 07:08 AM
    03-24-13 09:32 AM
    This may be a silly question but why are you still using shaw for email?

With all the free email solutions that are around why are you sticking with an email account that you will loose if you ever change your internet provider?
    03-24-13 02:32 PM
    With all the free email solutions that are around why are you sticking with an email account that you will loose if you ever change your internet provider?
    I have no intentions of changing my ISP.
    03-24-13 02:46 PM
    I have no intentions of changing my ISP.
    I can accept that and still fail to understand why. For the forseeable future you wont change but life throws bumps in the road at you and compared to every other offering out there isp emails are extremely limiting.
    03-24-13 04:27 PM
    weird. hmmm we've had this conversation before. if you are not looking for a solution why create a thread?

You are aware that "Webmail 2.0" is Shaw's exchange activesync support right? There's your push.
    Perfectly aware, and I hate it. It's a "sync" not a proper push. Delete one thing and it's gone for good. There's no leaving a copy on the server.
    then don't delete and only sync 1 day. your inbox will clear on its own daily.
    That's not the way I want it to work.
    POP3, BIS. That's what I want. Since it's no offered on BB10, I don't care about BB10. Hopefully it works out well for RIM, but I'll stick with my 9800. It may be "old junk" but it works exactly how I want it to.
    I just tried this again on my PlayBook.

• Deleting a message on my PlayBook deletes it from the server and prevents me from downloading it at home
    • Checking the email at home on Outlook removes it from the server so if I want to keep the message on the PlayBook - I can't. It disappears from the PlayBook.
    • No filtering - No way to stop email marked as junk by the ISP from being pushed to the device - this was easy to filter out with BIS
    • Data is at the mercy of the ISP - many Shaw users reported emails disappearing from their webmail inbox during the migration to "Webmail 2 dot oh"
    • What happens when you reach your maximum storage limit? Deleting them off the server deletes them from the client
    • How are message rules used? I have over a dozen message rules to automatically move messages from the Inbox to various folders in Outlook.

Exchange might be good if you work at big company and often log into your email from various computers, but if all you use is your phone and a home PC then it's a mess.
    your best bet would be to forward a copy of every email to outlook.com or a similar service. have your mobiles setup for EAS on "push" and leave your pc as is. that way your pc is unaffected and you get to delete all you want and leave nothing on outlook.com's servers or your mobiles.

you can setup filters on outlook.com to junk any emails with "shaw suspected junk" in the header. all those rules and filters you keep talking about in outlook, are also present in outlook.com.
    Or I could just skip setting up multiple Outlook.com accounts and keep using my 9800 which works in exactly the way I want it.

While your suggestions may work, at the end of the day they're just convoluted workarounds for a problem that shouldn't exist.
    it's only a problem if you make it out to be. which, from the looks of it, you've set in stone and buried in the back yard.

but hey, at least I tried. fact is, I could care less if you upgrade or not. I "thought" you wanted a resolution, but all you wanted was someone with a shovel. good on you bud. enjoy your 9800. I'm going to go play with my z10 now.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-24-13 04:41 PM
    weird. hmmm we've had this conversation before. if you are not looking for a solution why create a thread?
    Hah, impressed by your effort compiling all of that.

He complained earlier that he would need to upgrade his version of Outlook to be compatible with Blackberry Link (which is adding PIM sync capability, something he long railed about), which he said would cost him $125. I told him I have a full copy of Office 2007 Pro I'd give him for shipping cost, and he never replied.

Ergo: not looking for solutions, simply wants to gripe.
    03-24-13 06:18 PM
    Hah, impressed by your effort compiling all of that.

He complained earlier that he would need to upgrade his version of Outlook to be compatible with Blackberry Link (which is adding PIM sync capability, something he long railed about), which he said would cost him $125. I told him I have a full copy of Office 2007 Pro I'd give him for shipping cost, and he never replied.

Ergo: not looking for solutions, simply wants to gripe.
    being able to switch back and forth between windows on the playbook helped a ton!
    03-24-13 06:40 PM
    I know this is slightly away from the current discussion, but it is definitely about using Shaw on BB10 so I'll ask:

I just got Shaw today and have a BB10. In the Webmail preferences, under mobile devices, it lists Smartphone and Blackberry, and the BlackBerry claims to need provisioning. The phone can send and receive email. Do I have an issue? Also, it does not seem to want to sync my calendar and contacts with webmail (which I don't really need, but apparently it's supposed to do). Has anyone been able to get that to happen?
    04-26-13 07:18 PM
    I know this is slightly away from the current discussion, but it is definitely about using Shaw on BB10 so I'll ask:

I just got Shaw today and have a BB10. In the Webmail preferences, under mobile devices, it lists Smartphone and Blackberry, and the BlackBerry claims to need provisioning. The phone can send and receive email. Do I have an issue? Also, it does not seem to want to sync my calendar and contacts with webmail (which I don't really need, but apparently it's supposed to do). Has anyone been able to get that to happen?

Shaw's default setting as far as I know is to use the older POP3 protocol, which is a simple email retrieval protocol which does not support any sort of calendars, contacts or webmail.

I do believe they now also have a server you can connect to with a syncing protocol called Exchange ActiveSync (EAS), but I don't know any more specifics than that.

However given that many of the Z10 devices out there still have firmware which has SMTP sending bugs, if you are able to configure it with your provider using the EAS connection type, that would probably be preferable right now until everyone gets a firmware edition on their devices that addresses those email sending issues.
    04-26-13 07:58 PM
    omnitech is correct. shaw supports both pop3 and eas (using webmail 2.0). you will need to log into shaw webmail and enable eas in the remote settings first though to check password security. delete your current pop3 account and recreate it using advanced settings. use the settings (shown below) for the playbook, but set the sync interval to "push". using eas will sync contacts, calendar, and email.

shaw webmail 2.0 overview:
    https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1071

enable remote access:
    https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1071

bb10 email advanced settings:
    https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1441

Using Shaw email on BB10-uploadfromtaptalk1367026577603.jpg
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-26-13 08:40 PM
    For mine, my phone is accessing my Shaw accounts using EAS (I think) and my PC is downloading messages via POP3. I haven't played with any of the "Provisioning" settings.

This is the best for me - If I want emails on my device I simply close Outlook at home before I go out. Think of it as a form of call forwarding.
    04-26-13 08:57 PM
    I use Shaw. With their new email settings (per post #13 above) my Z10 syncs just as it should. I also connect to my Shaw account via our home PC running Windows 8. If I delete a message on the PC it's deleted from the Z10 and vice versus. All folders are sync'd.
    04-26-13 09:20 PM