Here is what I do in windows 10. Load Link with drivers. Than when it mounts the hard drive and SD card if installed, open a file on desktop. I have two one for the HD and one for SD. Drag all the files off each card into the files. Poof you have a back up that will allow you to re install your apps..
    Um... No. It doesn't work like that.

You don't have file access to the apps at all that way. Apps are loaded in a separate part of the internal memory that is not accessed when mounted as drives seen in Windows.

That's the reason they are created as network drives, so only certain user folders are seen. And, it's why when you set the SD card in USB Mass Storage Mode, the internal memory is not accessible at all.

You do have a backup of all user created files, and some android system created folders and files, but that's it. No actual apps. Well, no native BB10 apps for sure.
    11-27-19 10:51 PM
    And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?
    And you may ask yourself
    Where is that large automobile?
    And you may tell yourself
    This is not my beautiful house
    And you may tell yourself
    This is not my beautiful wife
    Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
    Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
    Into the blue again after the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-28-19 12:25 AM
    Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
    Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
    Into the blue again after the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
    Stop making sense!
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-28-19 07:22 AM
    Here is what I do in windows 10. Load Link with drivers. Than when it mounts the hard drive and SD card if installed, open a file on desktop. I have two one for the HD and one for SD. Drag all the files off each card into the files. Poof you have a back up that will allow you to re install your apps..
    I highly suggest you test that procedure before Dec 31 as I don't think ut will work the way you think. After you perform a security wipe and re-enter your BBID, you certainly will be able to reconnect to your computer and transfer the files, but that's not the same as reinstalling the apps. I don't think the apps will no longer be installed in the OS on your restored device.

I'm happy to be wrong about that, but, if what you suggest worked, it would be a huge security risk, as you or anyone else would be able to compromise your apps on your PC in order to hack your phone.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-28-19 08:02 AM
    Yes, that should work. As long as the BBID back-end remains functioning.
    Interesting. Sorry for a newbie question, so the way I understand this, it means that backing up BB10 application actually happens at home on the computer via Link? And then the process can be reversed via Link the same way?

Somehow I always had the (apparently wrong) impression that there is no real backup and the apps will be reinstalled via Blackberry World 'account' access from Blackberry World.

My following thought would be of course, that if these apps can really be backed up, then could they some day (if Blackberry and App Developers give up any legal interest in them) also be modified by some top pro people or other enthusiasts to be able to be used and shared without BBID or possibly tailored to someone's BBID per request.

In other words my question is, if theoretically some day Blackberry and the App Developers would completely give up their interest in these apps and would decide to make these apps public, would these apps be able to be modified to work for everyone so that we can start swapping them over file sharing services?
    11-28-19 09:39 AM
    I highly suggest you test that procedure before Dec 31 as I don't think ut will work the way you think. After you perform a security wipe and re-enter your BBID, you certainly will be able to reconnect to your computer and transfer the files, but that's not the same as reinstalling the apps. I don't think the apps will no longer be installed in the OS on your restored device.

I'm happy to be wrong about that, but, if what you suggest worked, it would be a huge security risk, as you or anyone else would be able to compromise your apps on your PC in order to hack your phone.

It absolutely doesn't do what is suggested.

I've done exactly that - drag and dropped the entire Z and Y drives into a directory on my PC before doing an OS autoloader (usually just the Z, since I've never lost the SD stuff in any OS reload or security wipe). But only to backup my own stuff. Actual apps aren't included. That's what the real backups were for.
    11-28-19 09:42 AM
    Interesting. Sorry for a newbie question, so the way I understand this, it means that backing up BB10 application actually happens at home on the computer via Link? And then the process can be reversed via Link the same way?

Somehow I always had the (apparently wrong) impression that there is no real backup and the apps will be reinstalled via Blackberry World 'account' access from Blackberry World.

My following thought would be of course, that if these apps can really be backed up, then could they some day (if Blackberry and App Developers give up any legal interest in them) also be modified by some top pro people or other enthusiasts to be able to be used and shared without BBID or possibly tailored to someone's BBID per request.

In other words my question is, if theoretically some day Blackberry and the App Developers would completely give up their interest in these apps and would decide to make these apps public, would these apps be able to be modified to work for everyone so that we can start swapping them over file sharing services?
    The backups are encrypted and inaccessible to anything but Link or a BB10 phone with the proper BBID and password. (DBBT uses the same encryption method, and you still need a matching BBID and password - I actually don't know how Darcy's is able to do it, but they do).

Sure, it's possible down the road that someone could somehow break that, but it would go against BlackBerry. Also, the value of such a breach would be extremely low in just a few years anyway. Few would care.
    WES51 likes this.
    11-28-19 09:54 AM

Nope on all counts. First you must authorize your computer and phone to talk to each other. After that you can transfer all data. When you reinstall you simply click on the APK file and poof it loads.
    11-29-19 02:45 PM

Nope on all counts. First you must authorize your computer and phone to talk to each other. After that you can transfer all data. When you reinstall you simply click on the APK file and poof it loads.
    11-29-19 02:48 PM
    The backups are encrypted and inaccessible to anything but Link or a BB10 phone with the proper BBID and password. (DBBT uses the same encryption method, and you still need a matching BBID and password - I actually don't know how Darcy's is able to do it, but they do).

Sure, it's possible down the road that someone could somehow break that, but it would go against BlackBerry. Also, the value of such a breach would be extremely low in just a few years anyway. Few would care.
    I cannot believe how little people know, you DO NOT USE THE BACK UP FILES, First you copy the download file thats sits on your phone. This will contain all the APK's that control your apps. I always put them in a file marked Z for main memory (phone) and SD for the card. when you reinstall them you move the APK files back into the same empty folder (empty since you wiped the phone) then click on each APK and it will open and start to load.
    11-29-19 02:54 PM
    Don’t forget turning on a translator program before reading this explanation plus a shot of tequila.
    The other problem is when you do as stated you open a hole in windows that was closed because of security issues.
    11-29-19 02:56 PM

You don't have file access to the apps at all that way. Apps are loaded in a separate part of the internal memory that is not accessed when mounted as drives seen in Windows.

That's the reason they are created as network drives, so only certain user folders are seen. And, it's why when you set the SD card in USB Mass Storage Mode, the internal memory is not accessible at all.

You do have a backup of all user created files, and some android system created folders and files, but that's it. No actual apps. Well, no native BB10 apps for sure.
    Sorry wrong again.
    11-29-19 02:57 PM

Just wanted to include a nice screen shot of the backed up APPS in windows waiting to be transferred back.
    Attached Thumbnails Using Link to preserve BB World Apps?-img_20191129_161834.jpg   Using Link to preserve BB World Apps?-img_20191129_161857.jpg  
    11-29-19 03:24 PM
    Just wanted to include a nice screen shot of the backed up APPS in windows waiting to be transferred back.
    This thread is about apps from BB World. BAR files. We're not talking about APKs.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    11-29-19 03:48 PM
    I see no native BB10 apps there at all - not a single one. Those are all direct apk installed android apps. Even through Cobalt's Play Store, Amazon App Store or F-Droid, they all use a variation of direct apk installs just like clicking on an apk file in the File Manager. And those are indeed visible and can be copied to a hard drive through Windows.

But, that's not what we are talking about.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-29-19 04:08 PM
    That works for APKs, but NOT the apps in BlackBerry World. APKs are Android apps, not BB10 apps.

What you're saying is true, but has nothing to do with the apps in BlackBerry World. All the apps you're talking about run in the Android runtime on top of BB10. They don't come from BlackBerry World and won't be affected when that app store shuts down at the end of December, so they will continue to work as they do now.

What app do you use from BlackBerry World, and how can you restore them without using Link's backup or BlackBerry World?

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 11-29-19 at 08:46 PM.
    11-29-19 08:30 PM
    Reading this thread really makes me wonder how many people using BB10 phones just think of them as old Android phones and don't use BlackBerry World apps at all. I am the opposite. I don't load any APKs at all on my BB10 phones. For me, once BlackBerry World closes, I'll either have to rely on a BlackBerry Link backup or stick to the stock apps loaded after a security wipe.

11-29-19 09:00 PM
    Reading this thread really makes me wonder how many people using BB10 phones just think of them as old Android phones and don't use BlackBerry World apps at all. I am the opposite. I don't load any APKs at all on my BB10 phones. For me, once BlackBerry World closes, I'll either have to rely on a BlackBerry Link backup or stick to the stock apps loaded after a security wipe.

I'll be with you friend. I want to run BB10 as long as possible.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-19 09:28 PM

when you bring over all the files I have a program that will show the BB aps. We had it sent to us years ago as a corporate client. I forgot that I have it on my machine as it is automatic. I will check with my sons and legal department if I am aloud to post the file.
    11-30-19 06:54 PM

when you bring over all the files I have a program that will show the BB aps. We had it sent to us years ago as a corporate client. I forgot that I have it on my machine as it is automatic. I will check with my sons and legal department if I am aloud to post the file.
    11-30-19 06:54 PM
    That works for APKs, but NOT the apps in BlackBerry World. APKs are Android apps, not BB10 apps.

What you're saying is true, but has nothing to do with the apps in BlackBerry World. All the apps you're talking about run in the Android runtime on top of BB10. They don't come from BlackBerry World and won't be affected when that app store shuts down at the end of December, so they will continue to work as they do now.

What app do you use from BlackBerry World, and how can you restore them without using Link's backup or BlackBerry World?

11-30-19 06:58 PM

11-30-19 06:58 PM
    lol....
    11-30-19 10:19 PM
48 12