I've bought dozens of BB World apps over the years and I'm thinking of ways to preserve them.

Haven't used Link in a very long time, but as I remember, it was possible to create a backup of a device and then selectively install the apps on another device you are restoring.

Would it be possible to download all of the apps I own, create a backup with Link and then even when BB World shuts down, selectively install apps as needed on my device?
    11-26-19 08:39 PM
    Yes, that should work. As long as the BBID back-end remains functioning.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 09:51 PM
    Thanks. Now onto the next mission, finding a dirt cheap Windows 7 PC in order to run BB Link. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Link is essentially broken on Win 10, right?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 10:15 PM
    ......and providing you can get the funky Link to work/restore properly.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 10:21 PM
    Thanks. Now onto the next mission, finding a dirt cheap Windows 7 PC in order to run BB Link. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Link is essentially broken on Win 10, right?

Posted via CB10
    Link is working on my Win10 laptop but it definitely is a challenge for many. BB Link is NOT the most reliable software by any means.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 10:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Link works in Windows 10. I have it running just fine. But, you have to enable the SMB v1 protocol. MS turned it off by default in one of the feature updates back in 2017.

However, the protocol is really only used for file access by networking the internal memory so Windows can see it. Even without SMB v1 turned on, Link could still directly access the memory to run backup and restores. I did it several times on my Z10 before I found out about the whole SMB thing. I just couldn't read the internal memory as network drives in the Windows File Manager.

You could go and find, or set up a Windows 7 machine, but even it got a rare update - late last year, or earlier this year - that disabled SMB v1 by default.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 10:29 PM
    Link works in Windows 10. I have it running just fine. But, you have to enable the SMB v1 protocol. MS turned it off by default in one of the feature updates back in 2017.

However, the protocol is really only used for file access by networking the internal memory so Windows can see it. Even without SMB v1 turned on, Link could still directly access the memory to run backup and restores. I did it several times on my Z10 before I found out about the whole SMB thing. I just couldn't read the internal memory as network drives in the Windows File Manager.

You could go and find, or set up a Windows 7 machine, but even it got a rare update - late last year, or earlier this year - that disabled SMB v1 by default.
    Thanks very much for the confident advice. Appreciate it greatly. Time to get Link downloaded and running again.

Also, just curious, is Blend working these days? I absolutely loved that function back in the day. I could never find anything similar on Android or iOS that came close to similar functionality. BB was so tremendously ahead of their time with BB10. It's immensely frustrating that it was so rejected in the market.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 10:57 PM

Don’t forget turning on a translator program before reading this explanation plus a shot of tequila.
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 10:58 PM
    Link is working on my Win10 laptop but it definitely is a challenge for many. BB Link is NOT the most reliable software by any means.
    Absolutely. But I welcome the challenge as a long time BB10 guy.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 10:58 PM
    Thanks very much for the confident advice. Appreciate it greatly. Time to get Link downloaded and running again.

Also, just curious, is Blend working these days? I absolutely loved that function back in the day. I could never find anything similar on Android or iOS that came close to similar functionality. BB was so tremendously ahead of their time with BB10. It's immensely frustrating that it was so rejected in the market.

Posted via CB10
    Last I checked - which was over a year ago - Blend still worked. But, for me, only as long as the phone and PC were on the same network. My Z10's SIM was deactivated and I had turned cellular off on the phone, so I couldn't check if it still worked over cellular to my PC.
    11-26-19 11:07 PM
    Don’t forget turning on a translator program before reading this explanation plus a shot of tequila.
    I could get into a longer explanation if you'd like.

Helps if you're having trouble sleeping...

Does not help with headaches in the morning, though.

zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 11:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Blend works splendidly -- I use it every day.

Posted via CB10
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 11:26 PM
    I could get into a longer explanation if you'd like.

Helps if you're having trouble sleeping...

Does not help with headaches in the morning, though.

Uh, what ?!? Sorry I must have dozed off...
    11-26-19 11:32 PM
    It's okay... you can go back to sleep... it's all just a dream....
    zer0ten likes this.
    11-26-19 11:36 PM
    Lol. It made perfect sense to me and I appreciated the detailed response.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 11:54 PM
    And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?
    And you may ask yourself
    Where is that large automobile?
    And you may tell yourself
    This is not my beautiful house
    This is not my beautiful wife
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-27-19 12:00 AM
    And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?
    And you may ask yourself
    Cheers to that.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-19 12:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Darcy's BlackBerry Tools has the same functions as Link - and you don't need to enable SMB v1 for it to work properly. I think it's an awesome replacement for Link.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-19 07:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have been able to use Link on Windows 10, but it requires tweaking the SMBv1 protocol, which creates security issues, so it should only be done on a temporary, as needed basis, with the host computer disconnected from any networks.

Here is an article with instructions:

https://windowscentral.com/how-acces...bv1-windows-10

It would be great if someone would test and document how to run Link on the current version of Windows 10. It's doable, but it involves some technical work. If it have time over the weekend, I may try it.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    zer0ten and rarsen like this.
    11-27-19 07:57 AM
    I have been able to use Link on Windows 10, but it requires tweaking the SMBv1 protocol, which creates security issues, so it should only be done on a temporary, as needed basis, with the host computer disconnected from any networks.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Which is why I like to recommend DBBT, as non of these issues pertain to it.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    11-27-19 08:09 AM
    And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?
    And you may ask yourself
    That’s how I feel most days. I miss the 80s of my youth and the future it promised... LMAO no refunds
    11-27-19 08:51 AM
    Darcy's BlackBerry Tools has the same functions as Link - and you don't need to enable SMB v1 for it to work properly. I think it's an awesome replacement for Link.

Posted via CB10
    Technically, Link doesn't need SMB v1 either for just backup and restore. That's what I was saying earlier. I ran Link for about a year doing backups and restores even after losing the ability to access files in the Windows File Manager.

Without SMB v1, Link can still connect to the phone, but will toss up the connection error message, too. That's the message that results in not being able to show how the memory is used (memory usage bar graph under the device information page) in the "Home" section of the device tab. Also, the Device Manager will show an error that it can't make the "network drives" - where it creates the Y and Z drives out of internal memory (Z:\) and SD card (Y:\), if you have one.

SMB is only used to make those drives so we can use the Windows File Manager for directly copying/moving files. And to manage files in Link if you use it for that.

The backup and restore function uses a more direct method that does not involve SMB, and is why that function still worked. It's that same direct method that Darcy's and Sachesi uses. Neither program had file managing capabilities, which is why lack of SMB v1 was never an issue for them.

If course, Link did, and still does, have other issues. There was the iTunes file name conflict from several years ago. Don't know if that could still happen. Also, every Windows 10 Feature update seems to break Link where you have to uninstall and reinstall it - like I had to do just this past week with the November update.
    11-27-19 09:40 AM
    Also, every Windows 10 Feature update seems to break Link where you have to uninstall and reinstall it - like I had to do just this past week with the November update.
    Thanks for the explanation. This might be why I kept running into trouble with link as I haven't uninstalled it in a while. I tried DBBT once and it worked so well that I never bothered fiddling with Link anymore. I may try a reinstall sometime...

Posted via CB10
    11-27-19 10:05 AM
    Now, after saying all that, I won't deny that if all you need is backup and restore function, then DBBT (Darcy's BlackBerry Tool) is great.
    11-27-19 10:43 AM
    I've bought dozens of BB World apps over the years and I'm thinking of ways to preserve them.

Haven't used Link in a very long time, but as I remember, it was possible to create a backup of a device and then selectively install the apps on another device you are restoring.

Would it be possible to download all of the apps I own, create a backup with Link and then even when BB World shuts down, selectively install apps as needed on my device?
    Here is what I do in windows 10. Load Link with drivers. Than when it mounts the hard drive and SD card if installed, open a file on desktop. I have two one for the HD and one for SD. Drag all the files off each card into the files. Poof you have a back up that will allow you to re install your apps..
    11-27-19 05:39 PM
48 12