Is it possible to dial from a data only bb?

If not what voip app service ya recommend for bb10 device [Z10]?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 01:25 PM
    BBM

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 01:45 PM
    BBM can call non BBM phones with only data connection from BBM end? I only use data connection with bb10 and prefer to keep it that way.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 03:33 PM
    BBM can call non BBM phones with only data connection from BBM end? I only use data connection with bb10 and prefer to keep it that way.

Posted via CB10
    they have BBM installed

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Foreverup; 03-19-16 at 04:47 PM.
    03-19-16 04:34 PM
    No, no it can't. BBM is BBM only.

There are no voip services that work well in BB10. You can try an android version, but it can't be the default dealer, and may lead to battery drain.

Just search for some.

Posted via �\_(ツ)_/�
    03-19-16 04:47 PM
    No, no it can't. BBM is BBM only.

There are no voip services that work well in BB10. You can try an android version, but it can't be the default dealer, and may lead to battery drain.

Just search for some.

Posted via �\_(ツ)_/�
    Oh, that's hogwash.

BB10 has no bearing on the effectiveness of the service provider. I think John refers the client application and contrary to what John thinks, their are good sip clients for BB10. Taki and Bria are two examples. PM me about service providers.
    raino likes this.
    03-19-16 06:16 PM
    Oh, that's hogwash.

BB10 has no bearing on the effectiveness of the service provider. I think John refers the client application and contrary to what John thinks, their are good sip clients for BB10. Taki and Bria are two examples. PM me about service providers.
    He is looking for a voip client to call other numbers, not just messengers, or else he could just use whatsapp.

BB10 has several voip apps, but they're not service providers. He's looking for something like gvoice.

The way to set this up is download one of those apps, and see if they are compatible with a service provider you want.

And even then, the apps themselves aren't that good. They can't be the default dealers, and some of them don't even run headless.

Posted via �\_(ツ)_/�
    03-19-16 06:35 PM
    He is looking for a voip client to call other numbers, not just messengers, or else he could just use whatsapp.
    I am clear on this, maybe you are not.

BB10 has several voip apps, but they're not service providers. He's looking for something like gvoice.
    I do not see that he has expressed preference in this thread.
    If he has please show me.

The way to set this up is download one of those apps, and see if they are compatible with a service provider you want.
    I already gave him two good options that will work fine with any standards compliant provider and will for darn sure work with the ones I recommend.

And even then, the apps themselves aren't that good. They can't be the default dealers, and some of them don't even run headless.
    I don't think "default dealers" bring much value to the usage model.
    I can't verify that any support "headless" so I will assume they don't and none are likely to start automatically either.
    I do know that Taki works fine on my Playbook(with headset) and should work even better on BB10.
    03-19-16 07:16 PM
    Google Voice (web version).

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    03-19-16 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pinger Sideline/Text Free Plus, Heywire... and similar all give you your own number and use strictly data. You can call (incoming/outgoing) and text any number.
    03-19-16 07:58 PM
    Thank you for those two. Issue with Gvoice is requires phone to have voice service, at very least for the validation code process.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 08:06 PM
    Pinger Sideline/Text Free Plus, Heywire... and similar all give you your own number and use strictly data. You can call (incoming/outgoing) and text any number.
    Heywire was only text, no voice and is no longer a consumer service.
    All of the apps you mention are android apps, which are not ideal for reasons discussed earlier in the thread.
    03-19-16 08:10 PM
    Heywire was only text, no voice and is no longer a consumer service.
    All of the apps you mention are android apps, which are not ideal for reasons discussed earlier in the thread.
    My bad on the Heywire. Yes, they're Android. It's no less an option. I've used both on Z30 over multiple OS versions including the current 10.3.2.2813 and have experienced no such excess battery drain.
    03-19-16 08:17 PM
    My bad on the Heywire. Yes, they're Android. It's no less an option. I've used both on Z30 over multiple OS versions including the current 10.3.2.2813 and have experienced no such excess battery drain.
    Good to know.
    How is the audio latency?
    03-19-16 08:47 PM
    Good to know.
    How is the audio latency?
    I've occasionally experienced episodes of high latency (can't give you the milliseconds, sorry) but with no more frequency or severity than any other VOIP solution a casual user would encounter. None significant enough to interfere with casual conversation - which I would assume is the goal. That's been my experience. If yours is different - then it is. The bottom line is that it's a reasonable solution and answer to the OPs question.
    03-19-16 09:57 PM
    I've occasionally experienced episodes of high latency (can't give you the milliseconds, sorry) but with no more frequency or severity than any other VOIP solution a casual user would encounter. None significant enough to interfere with casual conversation - which I would assume is the goal. That's been my experience. If yours is different - then it is. The bottom line is that it's a reasonable solution and answer to the OPs question.
    OK if you say the latency will not interfere with a normal conversation then I will take your word for it.
    03-19-16 10:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can try Fongo. It's in Canada and free and you get a free number and can dial regular land line or cell phones, it's a true voip as far as I know. And Fongo to Fongo anywhere in the world is free.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    03-20-16 09:03 AM
    You can try Fongo.

Fongo uses silence suppression and comfort noise to save bandwidth.
    It makes it difficult to have a natural interactive conversation.
    Most people don't like the experience, but they don't know why.

I wish more people could experience how good voip can be.
    What makes for a good voip experience you ask?

1. Don't bridge to the pstn unless you have to.
    A voip call is only as good as its weakest link.
    When a voip call bridges to the public switched telephone network, a bunch of less than optimal things happen.
    Call quality is limited to g711 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711 which was developed in 1972.
    G711 was designed to deliver only 3 kHz of bandwidth, which is fine until you experience an hd call, then its dissapointing.
    This means even though you and your peer may have the capability to use a high definition codec, the call quality will be limited to G711.
    To make it even worse, your call may be transcoded to and from your codec of choice.
    Anytime audio is transcoded, the quality is degraded.
    Bridging to the pstn also adds latency.
    Typically when audio transitions from voip to pstn it is buffered.
    A realistic minimum buffer size is 40ms, but can be much higher.
    Latency also makes it hard for the caller and callee to naturally interrupt each other.
    Latency is probably the biggest reason why people think "voip sucks".

You generally have to pay per minute.
    When a call goes over the pstn somebody usually has to pay a per minute rate.

2. Don't use voice activity detection, silence suppression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence_suppression or comfort noise.
    All of these technologies are used in combination to save network bandwidth.
    The idea is that while you are talking, your peer isn't and it's a waste to send data bi-directionally when only one side is talking.
    The reality is we interrupt each other all the time and these technologies make that a frustrating and unnatural experience.
    As I said above, most people don't know why they are having a bad experience.
    This is another big reason why people think "voip sucks".

3. Use direct media
    Imagine this scenario.
    "a" and "b" are in New Zealand and their voip server is in Canada.
    "a" calls "b" and the audio goes to Canada and then back to New Zealand.
    The latency of the call is going to be ~500 ms, where anything over ~200 ms is noticable.
    Now imagine the call control goes through Canada, but the audio goes direct from "a" to "b".
    In this case the audio latency is ~50 ms which is practically undetectable.
    Since the server does not have to forward audio, it can service more clients with lower cpu power, network bandwidth and cost.

4. Use OPUS https://www.opus-codec.org/comparison/
    OPUS is a free as in beer and free as in speech modern codec that offers audio quality beyond the limits of human hearing at half the bandwidth of G711.
    OPUS has technology built in to accomodate severe packet loss.
    OPUS tolerates packet loss so well that it makes voip practical even on lower quality networks in developing countries.

Oh and btw, even if you have an analog copper line to your telephone company, you are probably using voip without even knowing it.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 03-20-16 at 02:48 PM.
    03-20-16 11:21 AM
    Oh, that's hogwash.

I echo that. Bria is excellent, Taki is also very good.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-20-16 12:41 PM
    I have Phonepower for home VOIP & the android app is great via wifi on passport...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 12:47 PM
    I have Phonepower for home VOIP & the android app is great via wifi on passport...

Posted via CB10
    Should also be great over cellular data.
    03-20-16 01:00 PM
    Should also be great over cellular data.
    Yes works well so calls to us from abroad are covered... great!!
    03-20-16 03:31 PM
    The Fongo app works well. I have no complaints and it's free. Never sent them a dime or gave them my credit card info. Works on WiFi or Cellular data.

03-20-16 04:17 PM
    The Fongo app works well. I have no complaints and it's free. Never sent them a dime or gave them my credit card info. Works on WiFi or Cellular data.

Yeah but they do silence suppression.
    03-20-16 04:24 PM
    Yeah but they do silence suppression.
    Who cares, it works more then good enough.
    03-20-16 08:26 PM
30 12