When I use BlackBerry maps and my BlackBerry deluxe car charger, my z10 heats up and stops charging. I use battery guru and can see the charging go negative as the phone approaches 115 F. This happened prior to and since the update to 10.1. Does anybody else have this issue? I have tried two different batteries, no difference.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 08:52 PM
    Gave your thread an edit for specificity.
    07-29-13 09:18 PM
    Is the phone in the sun? It is probably normal for charging to stop when the battery reaches a certain temperature.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:40 PM
    Happens when cloudy and if I am not using BlackBerry maps, it doesn't heat up past 95 F or so. It is the app as far as I can tell

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:44 PM
    Does the battery go dead or does the charging resume eventually?

The BatteryGuru author would be the expert to ask if this behaviour is normal. He is a forum member here.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:50 PM
    Maps app makes my phone very hot period. If you are charging at the same time I would imagine that the phone interrupts the charge before the battery overheats.
    07-29-13 09:57 PM
    It will continue to charge until reaching about 115 F, an then the charging will slow such that maps starts to drain the battery slowly. If I am on a long trip, that means my battery is discharged when my trip is done. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the gps module? At first I thought there was something wrong with the charger, but that was only because I use my gps to get everywhere. If I just charge my phone, there is no problem.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 05:18 AM
    Do you have the screen on the whole time you're using this, or mostly off and you turn it on only rarely to peek at it?

With the screen on all the time, that alone uses probably over 1W (assuming daylight). The app itself is probably using the radio fairly constantly to request new map data, and if you have Traffic Data Collection on under the Location Services settings, it's also presumably reporting data back to the mothership fairly often. And then there's the use of GPS, which is probably pretty constant with the Maps app and adds to the power consumption.

Then you hook up a charger, which pumps a bunch of current through the device as well, possibly more than what it's using in which case it's charging the battery, though slowly.

Add up all the power involved and it's definitely going to run hot.

I'd say this is normal behaviour... live maps and tracking location makes it a power-intensive app to use.

If it's draining the battery slowly over time, consider having the screen off as much as possible.
    07-30-13 12:23 PM
    I think there are some future updates required here. There must be a way to be more efficient with the battery use.
    07-30-13 01:04 PM
    my q10 will run hot when using bbmaps, looking at the screen every so often, but mostly relying on the turn by turn navigation. I've had it plugged into a charger sitting on my lap and it stays about the same temperature it seems (at least not a huge difference) every time i've had bbmaps running and the phone charging when i unplug it i have more battery power then when i started, I've never had the battery lose it's juice while plugged in.
    07-30-13 01:08 PM
    I haven't used it enough to offer any diagnosis, but I can say my q10 also goes hot while using turn-by-turn navigation and plugged into the car charger. The charger also heats up.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 01:25 PM
    Any other phone can handle being connected and using maps just fine, just an fyi to anyone replying.

Overheating is something that dates back to the Playbook when it comes to QNX devices OP. The fix? Use a cool surface when using the device. Open up a window. Also direct sunlight is something that no device can tolerate when it comes to temp. regulation

douevenCB10?
    07-30-13 01:49 PM
    Here's the thing....i want to use it like a GPS! which means it will be on the whole time! I could do the work around by turning the screen off, but that seems insane to me. I would like to see if there are other z10 users who regularly drive an hour or more with the maps app running...are there any? That would at least tell me if there is something wrong with my phone.

Thanks for all your responses so far.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 01:53 PM
    Any other phone can handle being connected and using maps just fine, just an fyi to anyone replying.
    a quick google search shows that isn't the case.. just search "phone gets hot when using gps"
    07-30-13 01:57 PM
    Maps app makes my phone very hot period. If you are charging at the same time I would imagine that the phone interrupts the charge before the battery overheats.
    It does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-30-13 03:34 PM
    One thing occurred to me to ask, cased or naked phone?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-30-13 03:38 PM
    One thing I've noticed using my Z10 and BlackBerry Maps, in comparison to my previous handset (Nokia N8 using Nokia Maps) is that it does seem to use more battery life - sure the screen is bigger, but Nokia Maps on my N8 was still doing as much gps stuff as well as data stuff (same sort of updates - although maps would tend to be preloaded, so typically no need to get mapping data on the fly - but it would still be getting traffic updates, potentially using data to assist with gps, and potentially doing the same sort of data feedback).

It needs a lot more work to be competent, I had to revert to using my N8 for a couple of weeks, as my Z10 had to be returned due to a fault - and using my N8 for car duties it was still clearly superior, on all counts, in terms of sat nav performance.
    07-30-13 04:43 PM
    For the Q10 guys above: your screen uses wayyy less power than the Z10's screen so it's an apples and oranges comparison there... I would be surprised if a Q10 user noticed this as much of an issue.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 08:36 PM
    @bergerking

My z10 has one of those ultra thin incipio cases

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 09:04 PM
    a quick google search shows that isn't the case.. just search "phone gets hot when using gps"
    What do ya know, I got some results for "battery exploding while making love"

douevenCB10?
    07-30-13 10:30 PM