Hey there, so I've read a few articles about using Android tablets and phones as a laptop replacement for backing up real camera photos from SD cards to external HDDs. Pretty amazing if you can safely and redundantly backup data on a trip without having to lug around a laptop.

So I thought I'd do just that with my Passport.

Unfortunately, transfer speeds are abysmally slow. I used three different forms of USB OTG in order to try to backup photos. A standard OTG cable to grab files from the card via a usb reader and store them on the internal storage (just one file was going to take too long). I tried a Y-cable with a reader and a hard drive (fast and low-power M-sata drive) attached at the same time (got the same transfer speeds). And also a dedicated USB otg card reader. None of these options would have worked over the course of a vacation. All unusable.

Now I'm wondering, why are folks jazzed about doing just this with Android (and having it work), while I can't even download one file from an SD card within 5 minutes (like 30-45mb.).

Is there something wrong with BB10's implementation of file management through external devices compared to Android's? Is external power the issue? I doubt it, as even just an SD shouldn't need much power, and an Msata drive is similarly low power, but i'll be testing a powered cable next.

Here's an article outlining the process: http://petapixel.com/2013/03/26/how-...l-hard-drives/

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:55 AM
    I skip that completely and have my photos autosync to my BOX account. Same can be done with OneDrive and DropBox. When I get home and turn my laptop on, they get autodownloaded. I just have to put them into the folder I feel they belong after that (much later after that as it's often the case lol).

Now... Let's see about SD > HDD...

EDIT: So, it seems you hit a wall when you try the very first thing: Moving photos. I'd check your SD card. Is it Class 10 or better? Because if it isn't, you're likely not to get much out of it when it comes to speed (and probably not gonna have much luck with HD recording either).

You also need to take into account NOT ALL HDDs will work for this (not even on Android). The article failed to mention that some HDDs demand much more power than most USB OTG ports provide. I know for a fact my 1TB HDD does not work with my Z30, while some friends have units that do (different brand/make).

So there it is OP. You know what to look for. Better SD card and a less Advanced/less power hungry HDD.

Or you can just say 'heck to all that' and use BOX... One less thing to lose/get stolen/break while you travel.
    09-15-15 02:21 PM
    I skip that completely and have my photos autosync to my BOX account. Same can be done with OneDrive and DropBox. When I get home and turn my laptop on, they get autodownloaded. I just have to put them into the folder I feel they belong after that (much later after that as it's often the case lol).

Now... Let's see about SD > HDD...

EDIT: So, it seems you hit a wall when you try the very first thing: Moving photos. I'd check your SD card. Is it Class 10 or better? Because if it isn't, you're likely not to get much out of it when it comes to speed (and probably not gonna have much luck with HD recording either).

You also need to take into account NOT ALL HDDs will work for this (not even on Android). The article failed to mention that some HDDs demand much more power than most USB OTG ports provide. I know for a fact my 1TB HDD does not work with my Z30, while some friends have units that do (different brand/make).

So there it is OP. You know what to look for. Better SD card and a less Advanced/less power hungry HDD.

Or you can just say 'heck to all that' and use BOX... One less thing to lose/get stolen/break while you travel.
    I'm using 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pros for SD media (I use them for 10-bit video recording usually), so they're plenty fast.

And the HDD I'm using is actually a fast msata SSD with really low power requirements. Tried multiple readers. Tried multiple usb otg connectors.

I don't think my media is the issue as it's all very fast and power-efficient.

I've also noticed that transferring music to my BlackBerry from my PC via USB is prohibitively slow. I'll usually transfer music with a micro-sd to SD card adapter instead.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 05:59 PM
    I'm using 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pros for SD media (I use them for 10-bit video recording usually), so they're plenty fast.
    That UHS 3 isn't it? If so, yeah, should get the job done... If formated properly. Is it formated for exFAT or FAT32?

And the HDD I'm using is actually a fast msata SSD with really low power requirements. Tried multiple readers. Tried multiple usb otg connectors.
    I still suggest you try with something that does not even mention power as a memory stick, just to test. I don't recall how much the Z30 and Passport USB ports provice of a charge but I am pretty sure it's not enough for most modern external HDDs and your mSATA HDD sounds just that fancy modern.

Anyway, my point is, test test test and get the specs on the USB port and how much power it can provide. It should be possible with the right hardware!
    09-16-15 04:02 PM
    That UHS 3 isn't it? If so, yeah, should get the job done... If formated properly. Is it formated for exFAT or FAT32?

I still suggest you try with something that does not even mention power as a memory stick, just to test. I don't recall how much the Z30 and Passport USB ports provice of a charge but I am pretty sure it's not enough for most modern external HDDs and your mSATA HDD sounds just that fancy modern.

Anyway, my point is, test test test and get the specs on the USB port and how much power it can provide. It should be possible with the right hardware!
    My SD card was going to take about 5 mins to tranfer a 30-50mb raw file to internal storage. MSata is a fast, low power flash memory module. But I just found a powered micro usb otg cable, so I'm going to give that a try and see if that doesn't alleviate my issues.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-17-15 06:21 AM
    Why not get a WiFi enabled drive?
    09-17-15 06:36 AM
    Why not get a WiFi enabled drive?
    Yeah, that would make it all a whole lot easier...

But the powered cable jus may do the trick! Let us know!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-17-15 07:51 AM