So I have not been experiencing any random reboots at all and everything has been very smooth for me.
    But I was just responding to another user who was having issues with apps closing overnight, so I thought, maybe the phone was randomly rebooting at night and they didn't know. So I went to my settings to check and noticed that my phone rebooted overnight!!
    I went to sleep around 10 and the Boot Time for my phone showed it happened around 12:30 after midnight.

Please check your phones to see if you are having this issue as well.
    Go into Settings - > About -> Hardware - > Scroll down to Boot Time

Check when the last boot time is and if that matches to the actual time that you last reboot the phone.

[PURE SPECULATION] I'm wondering if this might be some sort of error recovery built into the phone so that when the user isn't using the phone, it will try to recover itself and fix errors. Unfortunately, some users seem to be getting random reboots as a result of this.
    [END SPECULATION]

Regardless, it has not affected me at all since it has never reboot on me during the day nor has it reboot on me when was using it. And I've been up into the late nights so it surely isn't rebooting on a schedule.

Any ideas anyone?
    BB_Junky and SDTRMG like this.
    04-12-13 09:03 AM
    [PURE SPECULATION] I'm wondering if this might be some sort of error recovery built into the phone so that when the user isn't using the phone, it will try to recover itself and fix errors. Unfortunately, some users seem to be getting random reboots as a result of this.
    [END SPECULATION]

Like many devices with an embedded software OS, the Z10 apparently has a "watchdog timer" that monitors certain device parameters and which restarts it if they become non-optimal. I believe the term Blackberry 10 uses to refer to this mechanism is a "sanity checker" or something.

I do not believe it is the actual kernel that is crashing, it is the various OS layers around/on top of that like UI, drivers, radio code, background processes etc that are getting into some sub-optimal state. But just restarting one of those components (depending on the component) would probably leave the OS in an unpredictable state, so I think the way the device deals with such a condition is just restarting the whole thing.
    GWraith likes this.
    04-12-13 09:15 AM
    There must some commonalities between those that see the issue and and a lack of for those that do not.

I shut mine down at the Airport (04/09, 14:46) and have not noticed it happen since getting it on day 3. (Telus network, Canada)

I only have approx a dozen apps installed and use <10 on a regular basis and don't usually have more than 4 open at any one time because I am not into scrolling up.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 10:38 AM
    I know for a fact my z10 has never ever rebooted by itself and ive had it now for over a mth.

Reason i can categorically say ive never had a reboot is because when i call it a night and go to sleep, i always have 4 active frames running 24-7. If my z10 rebooted then i would know as those active frames would not be open when i unlock my device ie they shut down when you reboot the phone.
    04-12-13 02:00 PM
    my last reboot was when I did the at&t os update. I think the reboots are related to overheating. I can swear the the phone has not been as hot as it used to get before.
    04-12-13 02:51 PM
    No issue here with any random reboots. I always have apps running in active frames so I would know if the phone restarted itself at any point in time.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:13 PM
    my last reboot was when I did the at&t os update. I think the reboots are related to overheating. I can swear the the phone has not been as hot as it used to get before.
    I don't think it's related to overheating.
    Processors can handle temperatures upwards of 70 degrees. We'd get burned before the temperature reaches that high.
    I've also played games where the phone got quite hot and it never shut down. On the other hand, when I left my phone to charge last night, it was definitely not hot, yet it reboot after I went to sleep.
    04-12-13 04:24 PM
    Funny enough I didn't think I was having reboot issues (only happened like twice when I was using it) but I looked and sure enough it rebooted last might at 3 am.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 05:26 PM
    My last reboot was April 4th. I may have had one reboot when I was running 10.9.0 but haven't had any issues since I've been running 10.0.10.85

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 05:30 PM
    There is a post about reboots. Someone found his case was doing it! Check new forum.

From Zed to U via CB
    04-12-13 05:32 PM
    When I initially got the phone I often got reboots. The update fixed it a bit, but recently I've only had a reboot if I have three or more high power apps open in active frames. I like, NOVA 3 and music and camera and whatsapp and Anomaly and Jetpack and Bards tale all at once. So, kinda my fault haha. But my point is, this has become a non issue for me.

Loves the Z10
    04-12-13 05:36 PM
    Got my Z10 since last wednesday. Boot time is Dec 04 00:00:02 GTM 2012
    04-12-13 05:43 PM
    I have been checking out these random reboot threads for a while now. As for me, I haven't rebooted since April 6th. Haven't even thought about it, really.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 06:23 PM
    I've been watching the device for the past few days and have found that it only reboots while on the charger. I have active frames open all day long and have no problems. When the phone is on the charger overnight, it will almost always reboot. I just put it on the PlayBook charger for an hour, and sure enough, it rebooted about the time it reached 100% charge.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:31 PM
    No random reboots here. Phone shows last boot time of April 1st which is when I last manually booted it.
    04-12-13 07:41 PM
    So yesterday I had to restart my phone for the first time in two weeks. The browser wasnt playing any flash videos and the page would become non responsive when I tried to load any. Also noticed that when i would try and load flycraft would load but just sit on the blackberry screen. Other games worked though like angry birds. The only thing I changed the the previous 24 hours was loading SayIt and a game called drug wars. Once reboot was complete everything went back to normal.
    LuVJuGGs likes this.
    04-12-13 07:54 PM
    My last reboot was March 30 and it was done manually. I don't remember why I rebooted my phone... but I remember that it was done with my intervention.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 08:09 PM
    I started checking my boot time after reading in that other thread that a lot of people were having reboots at night without even realizing it. Nope. No reboots. So then I also started to put the phone into bedside mode to see if that triggered anything. Still no.

On Rogers here and I've had the phone since Feb 13. OS 10.0.10.85.
    Variety of apps but none side loaded. Not many major apps either; no what's app, no blackberry travel, no twitter clients except for the native.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 08:09 PM
    I got my z10 April 6th. My rebooted randomly during various states from day one. I was going to hold off to see if a Verizon update would fix the issue because a. I had everything on my device set up the way in like it and I didn't want to redo it all and b. I didn't want to jump the gun.

But yesterday it just got out of hand after working on an important email with attachments and all and having my phone reboot before I could hit send forcing me to start again from scratch. I called Verizon to arrange for an exchange.

While heading to the Verizon store it rebooted two more times. Now I'm on the new one and I'm hoping we're good to go!

In keeping with the OPs original note upon checking the logs in the morning I did see my berry was rebooting even more often than I originally thought.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 09:25 PM
    new device just rebooted.
    04-12-13 09:44 PM
    Personally I've never had the rebooting issue with my Z10. Last time it reboot was because I intentionally made it run completely out of battery to charge it back up again.
    I've owned it for nearly a month now, I've had none of these rebooting problems.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 10:24 PM
    new device just rebooted.
    I had extensive discussions with Blackberry 2nd-tier technical support.

They wanted device logs but stated they couldn't do much with them if they were older than 10 minutes after the reboot. (!)

Bit of a challenge, but lo-and-behold, noticed yesterday the device rebooting so I generated/submitted a log immediately afterwards.

After analyzing the log, the rep told me that in my case he believed it was NOT a H/W issue, just the "previously reported" restart issue that was probably software related.

I was ready to take it back to Verizon today (last day of my 14-day exchange period for a new replacement) but decided not to bother after getting that news.

What's disturbing is AT&T just released a brand spanking new OS release of a much higher series than Verizon is using, which has solved some longstanding bugs, but not the rebooting issue as several people have reported still having the problem after updating.
    04-12-13 10:43 PM
    You now I did notice a few things different on this phone then the one I returned today. When I used the camera it asked if I'd like my photos to be stored to the sd card. I wasn't given the option before and I didn't see where I could select it. There were a few other things I though "Oh well that's different" but in didn't make note of the additional things (my memory is like that guy in momento).

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:20 PM
    You now I did notice a few things different on this phone then the one I returned today. When I used the camera it asked if I'd like my photos to be stored to the sd card. I wasn't given the option before and I didn't see where I could select it. There were a few other things I though "Oh well that's different" but in didn't make note of the additional things (my memory is like that guy in momento).

Would be interesting if you got an early release sample with a newer OS build on it. One of the things that was improved in 10.0.10 that VZW customers have not yet gotten access to is various camera improvements. Can you check the settings screen, About/OS and post what Software Release and OS version you have? The standard VZW release is 10.0.9.422 / 10.0.9.2743.
    04-12-13 11:31 PM
    Would be interesting if you got an early release sample with a newer OS build on it. One of the things that was improved in 10.0.10 that VZW customers have not yet gotten access to is various camera improvements. Can you check the settings screen, About/OS and post what Software Release and OS version you have? The standard VZW release is 10.0.9.422 / 10.0.9.2743.
    Nope. It's the same.

I also noticed that when I go to the drop down settings tapping notifications once automatically toggles between silent and normal. I have to click it once more to go deeper into sound settings. On my previous z10 it brought me into the settings all the way to make the change on the first tap.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:16 AM
60 123