I want to make this as short as possible and would be needing your help.

I'm from the Philippines and I have an unlocked Q10 SQN100-3.

I'm really tired of my carrier's slowness in getting the latest updates here in BlackBerry OS 10. We do get the updates, but weeks longer.

Right now I'm even just on the 10.2.0.415 (not even on the 10.2.0.424, and there is already even a 10.2.0.429 out there). I got this 10.2.0.415 last November 8 I think. 2 weeks or somewhat more than a week later. And it looks like I won't even get the 10.2.0.424 update as a month has passed since it was officially released.

Fact is, I don't want to use Sachesi, or any third party software as much as possible.

Now, I heard of somewhat a "natural" way to get the update. And that is the use of another carrier's sim card that gets the updates faster than any others.

Now, if for example I get a Rogers sim card from Canada (one of the fastest carriers that release the latest updates), and I put it in my phone to search for the updates. Is this safe? Cause I get to see a lot of forums that say that when you use another carriers' sim card, you get to risk of downloading a different set of "radios" that is not compatible with my location.

And I find that sensible, cause if that carrier released that update for that area, then it may provide something that is not for my location and may mess up, or weaken the parameters of my phone (like signal, 4G LTE reception, etc.). Especially in my case, I will be using a Canadian or American sim card to get updates for a phone that is to be used in Asia.

I guess I'm kind of being optimistic on this, cause in older BlackBerry OS, like OS 7 and OS 6, you can get to download and install any carriers' OS for your phone, you just delete the "loader.exe".

So, any thoughts and facts on these? Can you enlighten me on this idea?

Many thanks for your help

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 06:11 AM
    i am not sure about the radios and stuff. But it is supposed to work, like how putting another carrier sim should allow you to make a phone call.
    Atleast try to use a provider from the same telecom circle, to be safe. I did the same and everything is fine.
    popengchan likes this.
    11-28-13 06:16 AM
    the thing is with BBRY, any updates will be upon the carrier's discretion, when they would like to push the update to their phones. but it's safe if you can get any simcard from other carriers which you believe have the latest official update. as long as you have the CORRECT model of the handset & the CORRECT carrier simcard, you will never go wrong with the update. so.. give it a go!
    11-28-13 06:18 AM
    Thanks for the fast replies

Well, I'm kind of optimistic that maybe, it can get the updates when using a different carriers' sim. But I do hope I get the assurance that the best softwares and the likes are installed on my phone. As I've been really dependent with my LTE here and how the signal is such a great one.

Considering I do not know how to determine which carrier may be the "correct" or best one for my area, well, I'm still taking risks in doing so.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 06:29 AM
    What did you find out about how an individual can determine what would be "correct" for a person like myself wanting to use another carrier's sim card (i.e. Rogers)? I am in the USA with a Q10 model SQN100-5. Thanks for any help!
    08-25-14 12:37 PM