If Heinz hadn't listed BBRY for sale...

Chen was the worst thing for BlackBerry fans.
    People would still be buying more and more Androids and iOS devices.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    07-24-16 07:28 AM
    Security to an average consumer is just a matter of perception rather than truth.

Enterprises would prefer hard facts than just hearsay.

Seeing how most critical organisations already move to Android-based, e.g. Samsung, and iPhone, how would BlackBerry position themselves?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    07-24-16 08:12 AM
    If BlackBerry aren't targeting the consumers and only the enterprises sector then why to go Android? To substain in handset business BlackBerry has to target the consumers which will be a great task as the handset market is really captured by samsung.

Why not they make one device every 2/3 year running bb10 for corporates, enterprises who love the security of bb10? And one device running Android for consumers and tag the price 200usd. It will be a boom hit.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-24-16 08:27 AM
    Enterprise also relies on available apps. And if developers aren't developing BB10 apps, it won't satisfy the enterprises...

07-24-16 08:33 AM
    If BlackBerry aren't targeting the consumers and only the enterprises sector then why to go Android?
    Posted via CB10
    Because enterprise use apps too. Many of them are BYOD, and have a list of approved devices. People don't like carrying two phones.
    Last edited by conite; 07-24-16 at 08:57 AM.
    07-24-16 08:43 AM
    Well am sure you can never understand the problem, support device without facebook, whatsapps and more apps which have stopped supporting bb10... and yeah now you would say it's wasn't BlackBerry fault,

If BlackBerry had hinted Priv running Android as their next device with more upcoming Android devices me like many wouldn't have invested hard earn money for an os which has no future. No hard feelings but yes every penny counts, I would have waitied for Priv and won't get passport, I bought z10,Q10,z30 and now Passport, if Priv gonna run android I would have waited for it and won't upgrade to passport.

Bb10 had lots of potential and still has but mixing android with bb10 is just lame. Many would be happy with their priv, I respect their opinion but telling Andoid with bb10 skin is better then bb10, no ways.

It's my opinion and don't want to get into any kind of argument, just trying to express my feelings so no hard feelings.

Posted via CB10
    I am one of the people who doesn't care about the Facebook app or Watsapp. I use Face10, but even without Face10 I would be happy with the browser experience of Facebook.
    If BlackBerry would have been stopped BlackBerry 10 already, that would make me unhappy. Who knows, maybe are a few more people like me...
    For those that find Facebook and Watsapp a necessity, there are plenty of Android devices.
    BlackBerry Passport is an old model already. If you think about devices that are more than 2 years old, usually you don't have the option to update it with the newest Android release, at least not without rooting it.
    I bought my Passport knowing that I will not have all those apps, it was not a secret. Nobody lied to me that I will have a native Facebook app or Watsapp.
    My BlackBerry 10 devices are still supported by BlackBerry.
    When I will be forced to move to Android or IOS, I will not regret I bought my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and HighFlight88 like this.
    07-24-16 09:00 AM
    From the article:

"The goal is to make the Android security level the same as BB10. There's still a gap right now, but this gap will hopefully be gone within the next six to eight months," he said.

Chen added that the gap will be closed through a combination of BlackBerry's super-secret project and the impending release of the next version of Google's software, Android 7.0 Nougat.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    Yes I know what it said, but BlackBerry has a very bad habit of over promising and under delivering. If it is true its a game changer, but I have seen this before.................my money is on a definite possibility with the strong possibly of a maybe....
    Flatman and IndianTiwari like this.
    07-24-16 09:35 AM
    I've *always* liked BB10 from the initial release, and my purchase history shows it. I've still got two functional Z10s along with a couple more that aren't (they're donors "just in case"), my kid has a Z30 she likes a lot, and I had a Passport (but sold it.)

However, the market didn't like BB10. There was just not enough uptake, and whether Thor poisoned the well with Google vis-a-vis bringing in a "real" virtual machine option or whatever, the presence of the Play stub meant that even those of us willing to hack around a bit were unable to have full Android functionality -- which was a damn shame. Along with that BlackBerry stopped updating the runtime at 4.2, so there you go.

I have had a Priv since it was released. I like it. Do I like Android more than BB10? No, but I like it more than IOS, which is the other alternative. Android simply doesn't have the user flow that BB10 does, and never will because it's designed differently and you don't want to get me started on the internals -- since I've ported Android twice, I'm well-aware of the mess inside the code, and it's monstrous. That mediaserver, for example, continues to receive patches almost monthly tells you plenty about how Google considered architecture (hint: they didn't) when they designed the abortion that now has majority market share.

But the population doesn't care about such things and they apparently don't care about the disabilities (whether they be security, capability, user interface flow or for that matter power management) that come with the spaghetti mess inside Android itself. Markets and consumer preference are like that; technical competence is, in fact, usually *not* the determinant of success. There are myriad examples of this through commercial history -- it is what it is.
    07-24-16 09:41 AM
    Well the post says it all, CEO Chen has mentioned that Android is not yet secure as BB10, but with the upcoming AndroidN 'Android' will be as secure as BB10 which makes it even more clear that there would be no more BB10 Devices or updates,

Android is the future of BlackBerry that's the hard truth whether we want to accept it or not even if BlackBerry themselves keep on saying 'we are committed to bb10' just to keep the Hardcore users happy.

BlackBerry CEO: Android 'lags behind' BB10 in terms of security | TheINQUIRER

Posted via CB10
    Some one needs to tell Chen to keep his mouth shut, when the new OS is ready for release or at the very least Beta testing that's the time to talk. But its coming and will be this or that is just BlackBerry once causing more issues than pluses. If this comes to pass than is great, but if it does not.................once again the promises do not match the reality.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-24-16 09:46 AM
    Well am sure you can never understand the problem, support device without facebook, whatsapps and more apps which have stopped supporting bb10... and yeah now you would say it's wasn't BlackBerry fault,

If BlackBerry had hinted Priv running Android as their next device with more upcoming Android devices me like many wouldn't have invested hard earn money for an os which has no future. No hard feelings but yes every penny counts, I would have waitied for Priv and won't get passport, I bought z10,Q10,z30 and now Passport, if Priv gonna run android I would have waited for it and won't upgrade to passport.

Bb10 had lots of potential and still has but mixing android with bb10 is just lame. Many would be happy with their priv, I respect their opinion but telling Andoid with bb10 skin is better then bb10, no ways.

It's my opinion and don't want to get into any kind of argument, just trying to express my feelings so no hard feelings.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody is saying bb10 skinned android is better in that it's still android and I can't see it flowing like bb10. It is better in that stuff works better due to the native app situation and the fact that BlackBerry hasn't kept the bb10 software up to date. If ya ain't got apps you need a good browser and bb10 no longer has one. If BlackBerry can secure android I'm fine with it. I don't hate android I hate Google. I do prefer bb10 but that isn't going to be an option so here's to android with as much BlackBerry as they can squeeze in.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    07-24-16 09:50 AM
    I've *always* liked BB10 from the initial release, and my purchase history shows it. I've still got two functional Z10s along with a couple more that aren't (they're donors "just in case"), my kid has a Z30 she likes a lot, and I had a Passport (but sold it.)

However, the market didn't like BB10. There was just not enough uptake, and whether Thor poisoned the well with Google vis-a-vis bringing in a "real" virtual machine option or whatever, the presence of the Play stub meant that even those of us willing to hack around a bit were unable to have full Android functionality -- which was a damn shame. Along with that BlackBerry stopped updating the runtime at 4.2, so there you go.

I have had a Priv since it was released. I like it. Do I like Android more than BB10? No, but I like it more than IOS, which is the other alternative. Android simply doesn't have the user flow that BB10 does, and never will because it's designed differently and you don't want to get me started on the internals -- since I've ported Android twice, I'm well-aware of the mess inside the code, and it's monstrous. That mediaserver, for example, continues to receive patches almost monthly tells you plenty about how Google considered architecture (hint: they didn't) when they designed the abortion that now has majority market share.

But the population doesn't care about such things and they apparently don't care about the disabilities (whether they be security, capability, user interface flow or for that matter power management) that come with the spaghetti mess inside Android itself. Markets and consumer preference are like that; technical competence is, in fact, usually *not* the determinant of success. There are myriad examples of this through commercial history -- it is what it is.
    You sir just nailed it

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    07-24-16 09:52 AM
    Android N hardened by BlackBerry that is.

"Chen added that the gap will be closed through a combination of BlackBerry's super-secret project and the impending release of the next version of Google's software, Android 7.0 Nougat."
    Same thing I said year before and many laughed at me

Posted via Priv
    07-24-16 09:58 AM
    Your guess is the same as mine
    Governments, security agencies, NSA not limited to US!

Posted via Priv
    07-24-16 09:59 AM
    Same thing I said year before and many laughed at me

Posted via Priv
    citation needed.
    07-24-16 10:32 AM
    Android with Google Play Services will never be as secure as BB10 as all your data is being sent to Google.
    PHughes likes this.
    07-24-16 11:37 AM
    Android with Google Play Services will never be as secure as BB10 as all your data is being sent to Google.
    Depends how you define security.

There are people, like myself, that actually like the services Google provides in exchange for directed advertising.

Google has never been hacked and have some of the strongest firewalls and privacy agreements going.

But I quite understand that not everyone feels this way.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-24-16 11:55 AM
    Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner from the World of Reality! Yep, the phone may be secure from hacking, etc., but it is not private or secure from Google tracking.

If I had to go to Android, I would be hesitant to buy from a company that has a history of abandoning its user base.
    Flatman, deadcowboy and Maxxxpower like this.
    07-24-16 12:03 PM
    the phone may be secure from hacking, etc., but it is not private or secure from Google tracking.
    Clearly the majority of smartphone users do not consider this a "security" risk, and they would not be willing to give up what Google provides in return.
    07-24-16 12:11 PM
    Clearly the majority of smartphone users do not consider this a "security" risk, and they would not be willing to give up what Google provides in return.
    100% right on all counts. The public may scream about its privacy but in the end it wants it free apps. Also the same people that scream about Google are the same ones that have their entire life on FaceBook. Lets hope this is not another BlackBerry fantasy.
    07-24-16 12:17 PM
    100% right on all counts. The public may scream about its privacy but in the end it wants it free apps. Also the same people that scream about Google are the same ones that have their entire life on FaceBook. Lets hope this is not another BlackBerry fantasy.
    But when I choose Google, I don't feel I'm exposing myself to a privacy risk. I have carefully weighed Google's history of never being hacked, and Google's policy of not sharing identifying information with 3rd parties.

I have decided that Google is not a threat to me.
    Ronindan and Mecca EL like this.
    07-24-16 12:36 PM
    And, Google For Work has been proven to be acceptable by many companies, enterprises and organisations.

07-24-16 12:45 PM
    citation needed.
    JC said that BlackBerry securing Android ! Don't prove yourself clown, many things happened without citations.

Posted via Priv
    07-24-16 01:03 PM
    JC said that BlackBerry securing Android ! Don't prove yourself clown, many things happened without citations.

Posted via Priv
    Whoa fella, no need to get nasty.
    You claimed you said it.
    I was assuming that you are not John Chen.
    So please provide a citation.
    07-24-16 01:20 PM
    And some of us, don't like Google for the loss of privacy.

As for FB, I do use it, I need it for business, however, I log in on a private browser, and close it out after each session so that it cannot track me easily. I get virtually no ads this way, combined with a customized HOSTS file.

Here is an interesting bit of information regarding Google tracking and the NSA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ts-for-hacking
    07-24-16 01:27 PM
    But when I choose Google, I don't feel I'm exposing myself to a privacy risk. I have carefully weighed Google's history of never being hacked, and Google's policy of not sharing identifying information with 3rd parties.

I have decided that Google is not a threat to me.
    At least Google is upfront with how and why they do what they do............I have found I can turn off most of the data mining with the MM update and with an APK program it clears the rest......you made a good recommendation to move over to the Priv, I still have some issues, but it is more of a get used to thing than the phone. Now a larger key board and I am in heaven.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-24-16 01:28 PM
188 12345 ...