Of course they're fooling them. They always have. They told everyone the PlayBook was getting BB10 so they could unload their stock.

Now they're telling people they'll keep supporting BB10 (which they won't) so they can move the rest of the stockpile.

Posted via CB10
    Except BlackBerry has been very clear as to what that "support" entails.
    07-23-16 04:06 PM
    Except BlackBerry has been very clear as to what that "support" entails.
    Very clear in a deceptive way. Do you think they were totally honest as to what updates were coming to the people buying Passports at the pop up store?

I don't blame them though. They need to move the product. I'm just not going to be a fanboy and blindly defend everything like some people here.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 06:24 PM
    Very clear in a deceptive way. Do you think they were totally honest as to what updates were coming to the people buying Passports at the pop up store?

I don't blame them though. They need to move the product. I'm just not going to be a fanboy and blindly defend everything like some people here.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry put it in writing last October:

- two more updates focused on security and privacy
    - no BB10 devices in 2016
    - no new Android Runtime
    - no plans to schedule releases of new SDKs and APIs
    - no plans to move to Qt 5.x
    - no desire to obtain new SoC drivers for BB10
    - enterprise BB10 users will be migrated to hardened Android when the latter becomes as secure as BB10
    - the future of BB10 after all that will be determined by market conditions

I think some people's (not you) preference for BB10 has blinded them to the unfortunate facts.

I'm not dissing BB10, as I still quite like it. It may be old, but it's still a solid email platform.
    07-23-16 06:43 PM
    What is it about the current version of Android that's less secure than BB10?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 06:51 PM
    What is it about the current version of Android that's less secure than BB10?

Posted via CB10
    It still has a few attack vectors that are not completely covered. It has improved a lot with MM already, but BlackBerry-N will be the victory dance.
    07-23-16 06:53 PM
    I call BS on BlackBerry's 'secret sauce' and demand to see hard evidence (not advertising material from Blackberry) that their Android is more secure than everyone else's ... put up or shut up, Chairman Chen.
    Blackberry dude likes this.
    07-23-16 06:56 PM
    I call BS on BlackBerry's 'secret sauce' and demand to see hard evidence (not advertising material from Blackberry) that their Android is more secure than everyone else's ... put up or shut up, Chairman Chen.
    You expect BlackBerry to layout which vectors have been secured, and which ones haven't yet? And how they did it?

Anything else?

Btw, here is the BlackBerry Android kernel code:

https://github.com/blackberry/androi...msm8992/AAF518
    Last edited by conite; 07-23-16 at 07:18 PM.
    07-23-16 07:04 PM
    You expect BlackBerry to layout which vectors have been secured, and which ones haven't yet? And how they did it?

Anything else?

Btw, here is the BlackBerry Android kernel code:

https://github.com/blackberry/androi...msm8992/AAF518

I'd like to see a demonstration, showing me exactly what an Android handset with a BlackBerry logo on it does that EVERY other Android handset doesn't.

You can't get away with claiming to have a hidden ingredient that no one else has. It's plain deception without a demonstration. Ideally the research and comparison with all other Androids would be carried out by an independent third party.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-23-16 07:26 PM
    I'd like to see a demonstration, showing me exactly what an Android handset with a BlackBerry logo on it does that EVERY other Android handset doesn't.

You can't get away with claiming to have a hidden ingredient that no one else has. It's plain deception without a demonstration. Ideally the research and comparison with all other Androids would be carried out by an independent third party.
    Has Samsung broken down Knox for you? Has Blackphone cracked open Silent OS?
    byex, DarkJoker33 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-23-16 07:31 PM
    BlackBerry is not really in the consumer device market, but as a supplier of secure software for managing and securing mobile devices (BES12) they can reasonably claim that they can provide the best end to end security for Android when BlackBerry hardware is used with BlackBerry software.
    07-23-16 07:46 PM
    Anyone who bought a BB10 phone in the past two years and didn't know they were buying into a dying ecosystem had their heads in the sand.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 07:55 PM
    BlackBerry has said from launch of the Priv that they will keep BB10 for as long as needed until they can secure Android to the same level.

They are now stating that this will be accomplished in 6 to 8 months.
    Nice but that's not what it said, this has many moving parts and Blackberry put a lot of time and money for OS 10 certification. So in the end this is just a story.
    07-23-16 08:01 PM
    Nice but that's not what it said, this has many moving parts and Blackberry put a lot of time and money for OS 10 certification. So in the end this is just a story.
    From the article:

"The goal is to make the Android security level the same as BB10. There's still a gap right now, but this gap will hopefully be gone within the next six to eight months," he said.

Chen added that the gap will be closed through a combination of BlackBerry's super-secret project and the impending release of the next version of Google's software, Android 7.0 Nougat.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    07-23-16 08:09 PM
    You're always presented with links to source code and developer documentation when you ask this about the Priv, if you think it's marketing being disingenuous surely it would be easy for you to disprove?

I'll help narrow it down a bit, here's a Priv security feature complete with source code and documentation. This should also meet your other criteria that demonstrates it only works on a BlackBerry Android device.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection is here! | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    Mecca EL and dilijasi like this.
    07-23-16 08:14 PM
    So once Android is as secure as bb10, whats the future of bb10?

Posted via CB10
    For many of us that's not even a question worth mentioning.
    07-23-16 08:18 PM
    They said that just to make the hardcores make their move (to android). That's all
    07-23-16 09:28 PM

- enterprise BB10 users will be migrated to hardened Android when the latter becomes as secure as BB10

What about us? Would we get the "migrate" Also?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 09:30 PM
    What about us? Would we get the "migrate" Also?

Posted via CB10
    Sure. You too can purchase a BlackBerry Android device just like your Enterprise brothers and sisters.

Mecca EL and ppeters914 like this.
    07-23-16 09:35 PM
    Sure. You too can purchase a BlackBerry Android device just like your Enterprise brothers and sisters.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 11:34 PM

If have to jump to Android then why BlackBerry Android,

Hub on Android is a waste whether anyone wants to accept it or not. It will never as fluid as it's in bb10 as it's not build with the core os.

Dtek just tells you which application have access your information but it won't stop them accessing.

Secure, hmm with Android N Google too are focusing on security.

So why to buy high price android offered from BlackBerry ? 400$ for neon so when it launches here with the custom chargers the price would go up with 480/500$ or above. For that price there are many best Android option in market.

Posted via CB10
    chain13 likes this.
    07-24-16 12:17 AM
    Has Samsung broken down Knox for you? Has Blackphone cracked open Silent OS?
    Even if they did,, it wouldn't matter considering the personal vendetta these folks have for John Chen. You'd think he shot somebody's dog or something.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-24-16 05:17 AM
    Well the post says it all, CEO Chen has mentioned that Android is not yet secure as BB10, but with the upcoming AndroidN 'Android' will be as secure as BB10 which makes it even more clear that there would be no more BB10 Devices or updates,

Android is the future of BlackBerry that's the hard truth whether we want to accept it or not even if BlackBerry themselves keep on saying 'we are committed to bb10' just to keep the Hardcore users happy.

BlackBerry CEO: Android 'lags behind' BB10 in terms of security | TheINQUIRER

Posted via CB10
    He has to say that anyway give they don't make BB10 phones anymore and their rep is in security.
    07-24-16 05:31 AM
    The strategy is in the right direction, it seems.

BlackBerry securing the underlying kernel/system is the first phase. Coupled with the main functionalities, including PKB, is a good start to test the waters.

It seems that now they are quite confident in Android, compared with in the past. Hence, the lack of solid definitive answer on BB's future at that time.

I think the next hurdle is really to get BlackBerry Android on par with BB10 in all levels, i.e. Hub, swipe, PKB, fluidity, contact merge/integration, etc. which am guessing that's what they are working on. And then, they'd have to be focusing on the next Passport.

Is the migration tool from BB10 to BlackBerry Android, on Priv, is really complete? I sure hope it's ready for us BB10 users.

If we get disappointed (again?) on this transition, it'll be another hard hit to the market.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    07-24-16 05:52 AM
    If Heinz hadn't listed BBRY for sale...

Chen was the worst thing for BlackBerry fans.
    Flatman likes this.
    07-24-16 06:04 AM
    Why would anyone like to buy bb10 devices now and why BlackBerry wants to clear their old stock running BB10 when they are going android??? Aren't they fooling their loyal customers?

Posted via CB10
    Conite's answer was quite good, but there is another factor.

For the customers for whom the difference between the security of Android (even as secured by BlackBerry) and BB10 is extremely important, neither BlackBerry nor Chen get to decide if Android N secured by BlackBerry is "as secure as BB10". Those customers will make their own determination. If they don't agree that Android N secured by BlackBerry is good enough BlackBerry will have to decide if they will keep BB10 for those customers, or abandon their core business.

There has been a lot of discussion here about how long BlackBerry can continue to support BB10 at the current sales levels. A equally valid question is how long they can keep up the effort to secure Android if sales of those devices don't improve, and their core business continues to prefer BB10?

In my opinion the metric to watch is the number of and severity of vulnerabilities disclosed for Android N, and if BlackBerry can demonstrate that their version is not vulnerable. Unless there is a substantial drop, either for plain Android N, or Android N secured by BlackBerry the uptake of BlackBerry powered by Android will continue to be low in the high security space.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-24-16 07:23 AM
188 1234 ...