Hi guys,

I'm in Asia now, but at around 10pm, when I was using my Classic to check some mails, I received an email from Microsoft that there's an unusual sign-in activity from outlook.com and the IP is located in the US. Could my Classic be causing this? Because it happened last time as well when I was using my Classic, and this time again. Is BlackBerry server located in the States or something? Why does the warning always appears when I am using the phone? (I have an Amazon BlackBerry Classic bought from Amazon.com)

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 06:42 PM
    It happens when people are trying to hack your account or you are signing in from a geographical location that is different than normal. Should not be classic related
    02-10-15 06:49 PM
    Actually it might be the classic. I had the same thing happen after i started using mine and tracked the IP back to ATT. That being said I changed it anyways and put 2 factor authentication on and the phone has its own password so i dont get that anymore
    02-10-15 07:54 PM
    Wrong... happened to me too on a Z10. Classic is not to be blamed. The location was Seattle. I just changed my passwords across the board.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 07:59 PM
    I'm a Z10 user in NYC and I've been getting this notification periodically, too.

IP address is somewhere in the Midwest.

What's strange is I even got more of said notifications even after I changed my password. Really don't know what to make of it, as there isn't any sign of anything being tampered with.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 08:07 PM
    It is a common error people get when they travel or use a VPN.. Happens with Gmail too.. and when you trace the ip it usually shows you a different city/place from when you might be in because ISP usually have data centers in different cities...

Still, it is better to be safe than sorry..

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 08:08 PM
    I'm getting it to on my z10. It seems to happen generally when I'm on 3g and not 4g. I'm not sure if the carrier has different servers for this and could possibly confuse the Microsoft servers.

�I am what I am, and that's all that I am.�
    02-10-15 08:13 PM
    I had this a couple times and contacted Microsoft support because each time it said it was unusual activity it came from an IP address owned BY Microsoft.

At that time they told me it had to do with Microsoft's internal server upgrades and applying them to the individual mailboxes/accounts.

This is the second or third thread I've seen on this however, so I'm starting to wonder if it isn't more somehow about the way BB10 handles moving data. A hair-brained idea is that because of the BB10 security the Outlook servers don't "see" the origin I of where the handset is, but rather they only see the "last hop" of Microsofts own routing server handing the traffic to the Outlook mail server. Almost like how onion routing works if you're familiar with that system.
    Again, just a wild idea with no evidence to back it up.

Crack-a-lackin' since '08
    laketrout73 and Taigatrommel like this.
    02-10-15 08:23 PM
    I reported this to Microsoft. It is an internal server issue. They are trying to suppress the message. It had stopped for a while and then I got another today.

Posted via CB10
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    02-10-15 10:38 PM
    Oh okay, so this is actually more common than I thought...well the first time I also changed my password, to be safe than sorry, but now it's the 2nd time, and I don't see anything tampered with my account either, so...I think I should wait and see this time

Nevertheless thanks for the inputs guys!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:24 AM
    I am also an Outlook.com user and get this from time to time. Keep in mind I am based in Germany and rarely leave country at all. The IPs are always US based, Redmond to be exact. I guess it might be a problem with Microsoft and their log-in system.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 04:21 AM
    I got this too and tracked the IP back to Microsoft so I think it is something on their end. I figured it probably had something to do with my Z10 connecting since I rarely check Outlook.com anymore.
    02-11-15 10:29 AM
    I posted about this on the MS forums after receiving lots of notifications, all from MS IP addresses In the US and they advised me also it was some sort of automated system activity, not real fraudulent usage.

The IP addresses I saw were always something like 132.245.22.52

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 11:24 AM
    I got this 2 weeks back and to be sure changed the password (exactly a 16 character mixed up passphrase), two factor authentication, App password et al.

Again notified and traced a dozen of unusual activities and security challenges back to Microsoft server. Reported to cert at microsoft dot com. Within two days, got a mail that action is taken on my report. Boom, immediately my account was blocked due to ToS violation.

Reported back again and successfully proved that I am the original user of the account through mail based support. MSFT acknowledged my ownership and said they will send reset link in separate mail. But failed. Reason not explained for days and finally they said, since I have turned on two factor authentication, reset is not possible. Further mails revoked the response: We found ToS violation, We have given all information.

No help through other channels, twitter etc.

Luckily I had an earlier 25 character restore key and applied that. Their system has taken my request, but any further action will be taken only after a mandatory 30 day waiting period.

Finger crossed till then.

(And I am pretty sure that this is nothing to do with BlackBerry server or devices.)
    02-11-15 12:00 PM
    I got this too, unusual sign in from the states (I'm in canada) changed my password just in case. Good news if it's microsoft related and not people who wants to hack my junk folder full of good deals on meds.
    ESCON likes this.
    02-11-15 12:02 PM
    Its not a problem with BlackBerry. Its a problem of their servers. Its happening randomly for a bunch of people including myself.

I live in asia and there was an attempt pf access from somewhere in the mis west of america.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 01:26 PM
    I got the same error on a number of occasions. The IP address presented to me was a Microsoft address.

In the end, I deleted my account, I couldn't be arsed with it.

Via my Zed30
    02-11-15 02:20 PM
    You can stop telling you received this message. Willm got it right. You just have to wait for the update to replicate on their servers, cluster by cluster. Might take a while though, as it seems they patched their updates once more... You can report it on http://status.live.com

I had this a couple times and contacted Microsoft support because each time it said it was unusual activity it came from an IP address owned BY Microsoft.

At that time they told me it had to do with Microsoft's internal server upgrades and applying them to the individual mailboxes/accounts.
    02-11-15 02:56 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm in Asia now, but at around 10pm, when I was using my Classic to check some mails, I received an email from Microsoft that there's an unusual sign-in activity from outlook.com and the IP is located in the US. Could my Classic be causing this? Because it happened last time as well when I was using my Classic, and this time again. Is BlackBerry server located in the States or something? Why does the warning always appears when I am using the phone? (I have an Amazon BlackBerry Classic bought from Amazon.com)

Posted via CB10
    Someone is trying to hack into your Outlook or Hotmail account. You need to reset your password. This has nothing to do with your BlackBerry.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    02-11-15 03:05 PM
    If you have a look at the IP and if you make a whois request, you will see, that it is a Microsoft server which tries to "hack" into your account.

It is easy to proove that.

So it is a loopback failure. I had that a couple of times too and was interested who is trying to hack my account.
    02-11-15 03:11 PM
    I usually get it when setting up Thunderbird with a Hotmail / Outlook.com account on a brand **new** computer that hadn't been connected to anything Microsoft yet, or even when setting up a new Win8 PC with an existing Microsoft / Hotmail / Outlook.com account...

This shouldn't happen. The average user is totally overwhelmed with something as simple a password reset, left alone their CAPTCHAs (they got better though, lol)...

:-D

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-11-15 03:40 PM
    Oops it seems I have dug up my own grave

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 07:08 PM
    Oh well... it happened again... and after reading i am a bit peaceful... I will wait for some time and hopefully the message goes away...

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 07:17 PM
    Nice, the service is trying to hack itself? Sounds very Microsoft alright XD

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    02-11-15 08:34 PM
    I have been getting it too. Reported the email to [email protected]. They then referred me to what looked like a self help site for Outlook. I didn't even bother clicking on the link, as it obviously was not going to get to anybody that could fix it.

It hasn't happened in the past few days.
    02-11-15 09:08 PM
26 12