Revenue generated from the platform being used by that many people then.
    Which does not seem to be a requirement to keep the likes of BBM, Telegram, or some Symbian IM clients still out there running.
    Oh well.
    12-14-17 10:10 AM
    Nokia sold over a billion S40 phones, that's probably why it'll be supported longer than BBOS/BB10.

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/news/re...-mobile-phones
    wow. where? yes, i read the article/blurb.

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 10:11 AM
    Which does not seem to be a requirement to keep the likes of BBM, Telegram, or some Symbian IM clients still out there running.
    Oh well.
    revenue to facebook? what revenue? i assume symbian is similar to bb10 in that it doesnt blindly hand over user data..thats more of an android thing.

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 10:12 AM
    Oh well.
    There's usually more than just revenue that goes into decisions like this. It could be the total userbase on a platform, the number of active users, and the general cost (not just financial) to keep a service running.

WhatsApp to their credit has continued supporting BBOS/BB10 for nearly two years after announcing EOL. And best of all, we never had to worry about existing features suddenly breaking or becoming incompatible with other platforms.
    12-14-17 10:18 AM
    Exactly. Probably why BB10 app being cut off. Then again (AFAIK) S40 is not supposed to blindly hand over user data either but the app is kept running. Costs to keep the BB10 app operational higher than the S40's? Strange.
    12-14-17 10:18 AM
    wow. where? yes, i read the article/blurb.

Posted via CBX
    Earth?

S40 is a feature phone/smartphone lite OS so odds are you've likely seen a lot of them over the years but they were never really meant to compete with iOS, BBOS, Symbian, etc.
    12-14-17 10:27 AM
    Earth?

S40 is a feature phone/smartphone lite OS so odds are you've likely seen a lot of them over the years but they were never really meant to compete with iOS, BBOS, Symbian, etc.
    i promise i've never seen one here in canaduh...eh?

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 10:33 AM
    I'm guessing there are significantly more S40 users than BB10 users.
    Yes, at the time the decision was made, there were significantly more S40 users than BB10 (or BBOS or S60) users. There still are, but perhaps by less of a gap now. The reason most of you are baffled by this, is because most S40 users live in different countries from where you live.

Another factor was that the vendor commitment to S40 started dropping off earlier. This made it increasingly difficult to actually build and distribute app updates for that platform. As such, we really couldn't keep adjusting the expiration date on S40. So it was basically a "pick a date far enough in the future, and be stuck with it" kind of decision.
    Invictus0 and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    12-14-17 11:00 AM

Another factor was that the vendor commitment to S40 started dropping off earlier. This made it increasingly difficult to actually build and distribute app updates for that platform. As such, we really couldn't keep adjusting the expiration date on S40. So it was basically a "pick a date far enough in the future, and be stuck with it" kind of decision.
    another reason to hate BBW! (it still works)

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 11:06 AM
    i promise i've never seen one here in canaduh...eh?

Posted via CBX
    I hope you're not trying to make the point that because you haven't seen one of the billions of S40 devices in the world that it makes WhatsApp's decision to support it for longer a wrong one.
    12-14-17 11:06 AM
    I hope you're not trying to make the point that because you haven't seen one of the billions of S40 devices in the world that it makes WhatsApp's decision to support it for longer a wrong one.
    ah, i think you missed that post

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 11:08 AM
    ah, i think you missed that post

Posted via CBX
    Just saw dkonigsberg_wa post so I guess that answers it.

Out of all of the discontinued platforms, BB10 users definitely have it "the best" because of the runtime so I don't really see the timing as a bad thing. The Android app may stop working at some point as well but at least BB10 users who need WhatsApp can continue holding onto their devices for a bit longer.
    12-14-17 11:15 AM
    Still... why cut us off. They are not going to maintain the S40 app either. Weird.
    The answer is right in this post. Go back a page or two and read again...
    12-14-17 03:45 PM
    Or just scroll ~5 posts up for the S40 specific answer.
    12-14-17 05:33 PM
    Technically speaking, the BB10 app is actually one of the most up-to-date of all our deprecated clients. However, it also hasn't had any significant development in a long time now. We've added a lot of features to our platform, that it doesn't support, and its not worth the resources to implement and support them on a dying platform with a small userbase. (Some of these features are user-visible things you may have noticed, and some are under-the-covers advancement of our underlying protocols.)

That's most likely due to my personal commitment to the platform. On the client side, BlackBerry 10 is actually the one platform that hasn't had a whole team behind it. The reason it kept up so well, for as long as it did, was due to my crazy level of dedication. However, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, an official decision was ultimately made, and there's not much more to be done.
    I totally agree with you on this.
    The kind of dedication you have shown towards the app is unparalleled. There are still so much that works better than the Android version. It is one the best apps on BB10.
    Thank you for this.
    People like you are rare to come by.
    Thanks for extending the support upto 31st December, 2017 even.
    Hoping to see you on the Android side of things and bring some awesome features of the app from BB10 to Android!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 08:32 PM
    True... BBW still works
    12-15-17 01:40 AM
    True... BBW still works
    Until December 2019 anyway ;-)

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 02:17 AM
    Until December 2019 anyway ;-)

Posted via CB10
    As long as your payment options haven't expired before then......
    12-15-17 06:52 AM
    is there any way to export WA database from BB10 to the android version?
    12-15-17 04:04 PM
    You can actually download it directly from WhatsApp,

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

CellNinja has also made a native app that simplifies the fix so you no longer have to mess around with command line.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/60005088
    I see a lot of people still hanging onto the native whatsapp app and waiting what will happen end December. If it will cease working the easiest process is to install those two links? (this has probably been discussed somewhere hundred times but the pages to read are endless and the serach function can't help)
    12-16-17 02:39 AM
    Correct. You can also try the Export To Android function in the native bb10 app with a large capacity SD card installed. Process lenghty but worked for me back in June 2017.
    12-16-17 03:10 AM
    I mean, I don't wanna miss all the chats I have, this is why I delay to swap from the native to the android...

 Unlocked BlackBerry Passport AT&T on 10.3.3.3057 
    12-16-17 04:07 AM
    I see a lot of people still hanging onto the native whatsapp app and waiting what will happen end December. If it will cease working the easiest process is to install those two links? (this has probably been discussed somewhere hundred times but the pages to read are endless and the serach function can't help)
    Yup, this is the easiest way to do it, CellNinja's app basically automates the old command line process to make it easier.
    12-16-17 10:10 AM
    I changed but can't find a way to restore backup I made of the msg having the SD card! it only says using google drive and I don't have (don't want) an account.... any suggestion?
    12-16-17 11:49 AM
    I changed but can't find a way to restore backup I made of the msg having the SD card! it only says using google drive and I don't have (don't want) an account.... any suggestion?
    Have you moved your backup to the correct folder?

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/...245251#restore

Assuming you did, if you tap outside of the Google Drive message does the app detect your local backups?
    12-16-17 04:05 PM
177 ... 34567 ...