Lol. You’re comparing the general phone buying public to CrackBerry loyals? LOL
    My question was, "why should TCL care about loss of apps on BB10?"

What should they do - write apps for BB10 to ensure BB10 users continue to have a tasty palette? And the fact that most apps do not have public APIs should not be an issue either?

Crackberry is irrelevant, per se. Even one person moving to a TCL device is a net positive for TCL, and we've seen that here.
    Last edited by conite; 12-10-17 at 10:51 AM.
    12-10-17 09:22 AM
    features or anti-features? the bb10 platform seems to support communicating just fine. perhaps it is a far more nefarious requirement from the 'privacy stealing corporation' that bb10 doesnt support..and "the real blackberry" stood up against. with all obstacles removed, global domination is now a given.

Posted via CBX
    I'd say video calling, an actual call notification screen, etc count as features.

BlackBerry allowed these apps on BB World and that's ignoring all the web wrapper subscriptions and fake apps currently available on the store, why do you think they'd block WhatsApp for alleged privacy issues?

https://crackberry.com/some-popular-...their-security
    12-10-17 10:32 AM
    I got confused about what TCL has to do with Whatsapp.
    Mine works fine.
    It would be great if they actually decide to extend the service of whatsapp.
    But I can live with it if they choose not to.

My opinion, TCL has nothing to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-17 10:19 PM
    The implication from WhatsApp was that server-side changes would require significant re-coding of the BB10 app.

Clearly, they know what the user base is precisely, and have decided it's rather insignificant and not worth the developer time.
    Technically speaking, the BB10 app is actually one of the most up-to-date of all our deprecated clients. However, it also hasn't had any significant development in a long time now. We've added a lot of features to our platform, that it doesn't support, and its not worth the resources to implement and support them on a dying platform with a small userbase. (Some of these features are user-visible things you may have noticed, and some are under-the-covers advancement of our underlying protocols.)

Honestly, I'm astonished they've stayed with BB10 this long.
    That's most likely due to my personal commitment to the platform. On the client side, BlackBerry 10 is actually the one platform that hasn't had a whole team behind it. The reason it kept up so well, for as long as it did, was due to my crazy level of dedication. However, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, an official decision was ultimately made, and there's not much more to be done.
    thurask, conite, howarmat and 9 others like this.
    12-11-17 11:04 AM
    Technically speaking, the BB10 app is actually one of the most up-to-date of all our deprecated clients. However, it also hasn't had any significant development in a long time now. We've added a lot of features to our platform, that it doesn't support, and its not worth the resources to implement and support them on a dying platform with a small userbase. (Some of these features are user-visible things you may have noticed, and some are under-the-covers advancement of our underlying protocols.)

That's most likely due to my personal commitment to the platform. On the client side, BlackBerry 10 is actually the one platform that hasn't had a whole team behind it. The reason it kept up so well, for as long as it did, was due to my crazy level of dedication. However, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, an official decision was ultimately made, and there's not much more to be done.
    Although not personally a WhatsApp user, many thanks to your dedication over the years.

I'm curious. Do you have the current metrics on the BB10 WhatsApp user base?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-11-17 11:13 AM

Dear Dkonigsberg,

Thanks a lot for your dedication, support and never ending patience. I hope you will not be losing your job. I do like a lot the WA version for bb10. I still consider it top.

I thank you also for your information. Unfortunately CB became a forum of advertisements, place for rants, and to see people challenging on first world War problems (better bb10 vs Android and bull**** similar). I never saw you writing down a polemic tread nor writing badly to anybody.

Last your post shows how everybody in this forum should not publish things that ignores and sell them as the truth!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-17 12:51 PM

Really appreciate your effort for BB10. Wish it had continued for another a year or two but all good things come to an end. Sad but have to accept the truth.

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-11-17 01:15 PM

Last your post shows how everybody in this forum should not publish things that ignores and sell them as the truth!!!

Posted via CB10
    Such as ??
    12-11-17 02:48 PM
    (Some of these features are user-visible things you may have noticed, and some are under-the-covers advancement of our underlying protocols.)
    Thanks for all your time and effort dkonigsberg. Enjoying the app still every day.

Not trying to enquire about any business secrets: personally I'm not bothered at all on BB10 I can't do video calling or recall a message in WA. Don't need those developments added.

This makes me wonder, what is hurting WA that prevents to just keep the app running in its current state?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-17 04:25 PM
    What's best, the app from the site or the one in PS?

 Unlocked BlackBerry Passport AT&T on 10.3.3.3057 
    12-13-17 01:42 PM
    Thanks for all your time and effort dkonigsberg. Enjoying the app still every day.

Not trying to enquire about any business secrets: personally I'm not bothered at all on BB10 I can't do video calling or recall a message in WA. Don't need those developments added.

This makes me wonder, what is hurting WA that prevents to just keep the app running in its current state?

Posted via CB10
    You're probably not going to get a reply beyond the explanation you already got. The BB10 option doesn't generate revenue or user information. Like anything, software is either maintained or you need to shut it down. Eventually people will move on to Android/IOS versions of software and providers don't want people to abandon platform because of performance issues on the BB10 versions that will break over time.
    12-13-17 02:08 PM
    Any developer could answer this question: there are support costs, even for free apps that are officially unsupported, as long as they connect to active services. People will complain and tie up support's time.

There is also the cost to the brand image. Having a product that is partially broken is much worse than having no product at all in terms of the complaints and negative ratings that the company will receive.

Finally, there is the opportunity cost of NOT having people on the current, full-featured version on a supported platform. By letting people stay on an old version, they have less motivation to move to the current one, with fully working features that might win them over and make them better customers of your app.

As and end user, you might disagree, but they are running a business and they have real-world business reasons for what they are doing. And those reasons, frankly, are more important than making a relative handful of users upset - many of whom will switch platforms and ultimately be happier with their app.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-13-17 02:15 PM
    That’s the reason why BB went to Android, so that people like you can use these services like WA without having to waste time/frustration on all these workarounds. So yeah, get yourself a TCL/BB phone and nobody has to ask anyone for anything. WA is obviously completely committed to making their app work well on iOS and Android. They have billions of reasons to do it.
    The reason why BB went to an Android is because they don't know how to sell phones anymore. They thought app catalogue will help them with the sales, it did not. Then they just licensed the brand name to Chinese manufacturer who probably sold less BB branded Android phones than BB sold BB10 so far.
    12-13-17 02:29 PM
    All the major social media apps are going to be 'WeChat'ed in a couple years. People in China spend tremendous amounts on WeChat because its like a mini-OS: providing the full social experience as well as video, gaming, payments and online shopping. Each of these segments provide WeChat revenue as well as a spectrum of user info.

BB10 users actually cost WA money because they aren't moving to platforms that can provide revenue.
    12-13-17 02:34 PM
    There is also the cost to the brand image. Having a product that is partially broken is much worse than having no product at all in terms of the complaints and negative ratings that the company will receive.

Finally, there is the opportunity cost of NOT having people on the current, full-featured version on a supported platform. By letting people stay on an old version, they have less motivation to move to the current one, with fully working features that might win them over and make them better customers of your app.
    This sums it up quite nicely. Its also why we have built-in expiration timers in all of our applications. By not having to eternally worry about old versions of our client applications, we're more easily able to roll out new features and move our protocols forward. Remember, with an end-to-end communication platform, functionality really only works well if both ends of the conversation know how to handle it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-13-17 02:45 PM
    Thanks for this insight and clarification.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-17 03:14 PM
    I understand the BB10 app does not generate enough revenue due to BB10 handsets being less prone to giving out information about their users. Many of us not not even bother to update apps that work well and do not wish to buy a new handset since we actually do not need one. Our reasonably up to date Passports (hardware wise at least) often double as laptops - my brother and wife stopped carrying one around as well after getting their Passports, potentially leading to less revenue being generated for laptop manufacturers. However (being a Nokia fan myself and regretting the Symbian app being discontinued at the time) I still struggle to understand why the Nokia S40 platform app is actually the one not being phased out. I wonder how it can actually generate more revenue and / or stop WA eternally worrying about old versions of client applications for an additional year.
    12-14-17 07:52 AM
    I understand the BB10 app does not generate enough revenue due to BB10 handsets being less prone to giving out information about their users. Many of us not not even bother to update apps that work well and do not wish to buy a new handset since we actually do not need one. Our reasonably up to date Passports (hardware wise at least) often double as laptops - my brother and wife stopped carrying one around as well after getting their Passports, potentially leading to less revenue being generated for laptop manufacturers. However (being a Nokia fan myself and regretting the Symbian app being discontinued at the time) I still struggle to understand why the Nokia S40 platform app is actually the one not being phased out. I wonder how it can actually generate more revenue and / or stop WA eternally worrying about old versions of client applications for an additional year.
    I'm guessing there are significantly more S40 users than BB10 users.
    12-14-17 08:32 AM
    I'm guessing there are significantly more S40 users than BB10 users.
    i havent seen a nokia phone in probably ten years..?

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 08:40 AM

Posted via CBX
    So.....
    12-14-17 08:52 AM

Posted via CBX
    WhatsApp is rarely used in the USofA, and yet they have billions of users worldwide.
    12-14-17 09:06 AM
    So.....
    apologies i dont get it. i thought a symbian was something else.

Posted via CBX
    12-14-17 09:10 AM
    apologies i dont get it. i thought a symbian was something else.

Posted via CBX
    No. You're right that Nokia used Symbian. My point was that you haven't seen Nokia phones. You're just standing in the wrong place.

Old technology still gets used in places where you and I aren't standing. Obviously, more people still use it with their app or they'd cut it too.

It's just business and following the money.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-14-17 09:32 AM
    Still... why cut us off. They are not going to maintain the S40 app either. Weird.
    12-14-17 09:56 AM
    Nokia sold over a billion S40 phones, that's probably why it'll be supported longer than BBOS/BB10.

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/news/re...-mobile-phones
    12-14-17 10:02 AM
177 ... 23456 ...