…a large userbase.
    Highly unlikely.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-09-17 08:58 PM
    Highly unlikely.
    of course its large. it might not be 'apple' or 'android' large, but 100,000 users is large. the vast majority of bb10 users arent on crackberry, you do realize that right? i see bb10 phones all the time...and they are all over the world.

Posted via CBX
    Qorax likes this.
    12-09-17 09:04 PM
    of course its large. it might not be 'apple' or 'android' large, but 100,000 users is large. the vast majority of bb10 users arent on crackberry, you do realize that right? i see bb10 phones all the time...and they are all over the world.

Posted via CBX
    With a million or so BB10 devices still in use, I would buy 100,000 WhatsApp users.

But there are 1.3 billion active WhatsApp users.

Frankly, WhatsApp knows that anyone that needs to use the app, would either use the Android app or switch platforms.
    12-09-17 09:07 PM
    there are nearly 155,000 reviews of whatsapp on bbw. i'd say with great confidence that a very very small percentage of users have left a review.
    i just left my 2 cents, never having considered it until now.

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:08 PM
    With a million or so BB10 devices still in use, I would buy 100,000 WhatsApp users.

But there are 1.3 billion active WhatsApp users.
    either way thats a lot of users...and i'm guessing the number is larger.
    why take this away from them?

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:09 PM
    either way thats a lot of users...and i'm guessing the number is larger.
    why take this away from them?

Posted via CBX
    Because WhatsApp isn't stupid. They know that anyone who NEEDS to use the app, will switch to the Android version, or move to another platform - leaving only a handful of stubborn "protesters".
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-09-17 09:10 PM
    Because WhatsApp isn't stupid. They know that anyone who NEEDS to use the app, will switch to the Android version, or move to another platform.
    count me out. this is an insult from the worlds most obnoxious company.

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:12 PM
    Because WhatsApp isn't stupid. They know that anyone who NEEDS to use the app, will switch to the Android version, or move to another platform - leaving only a handful of stubborn "protesters".
    so what i've read elsewhere about continued support of android 4.3 is false?

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:14 PM
    so what i've read elsewhere about continued support of android 4.3 is false?

Posted via CBX
    I don't know what you've read, but I'm sure WhatsApp will continue supporting 4.3 for another year at LEAST.
    12-09-17 09:15 PM
    I don't know what you've read, but I'm sure WhatsApp will continue supporting 4.3 for another year at LEAST.
    and what would the size of that userbase be? that sounds like some ancient hardware, and those cheap phones werent built to last.

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:17 PM
    and what would the size of that userbase be? that sounds like some ancient hardware, and those cheap phones werent built to last.

Posted via CBX
    7% of 2.3 billion is 161 million.
    12-09-17 09:28 PM
    7% of 2.3 billion is 161 million.
    where do you get 7% and does that exclude bb10 users?

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 09:30 PM
    where do you get 7% and does that exclude bb10 users?

Posted via CBX
    That's the number of Android users on Android 4 to 4.3.

Then you have to decide how many of those use WhatsApp.

But that's 161 million compared to 1-1.5 million on BB10.
    12-09-17 09:34 PM
    That's the number of Android users on Android 4 to 4.3.

Then you have to decide how many of those use WhatsApp.

But that's 161 million compared to 1-1.5 million on BB10.
    in closing i'll restate my position.

1. bb10 whatsapp works nicely with seemless hub integration, the android version is a pain to use. it is an insult to disable an app that works just fine, and i suspect they know this and laugh about it.

2. facebook is an evil disgusting company, and i was likely unaware of their ownership of whatsapp (or my adoption predates it?) when i began using it. if they kill it off, i will stop. i dont care what the masses do. i dont care that they dont care what i do.

Posted via CBX
    Qorax likes this.
    12-09-17 09:41 PM
    in closing i'll restate my position.

1. bb10 whatsapp works nicely with seemless hub integration, the android version is a pain to use. it is an insult to disable an app that works just fine, and i suspect they know this and laugh about it.

2. facebook is an evil disgusting company, and i was likely unaware of their ownership of whatsapp (or my adoption predates it?) when i began using it. if they kill it off, i will stop. i dont care what the masses do. i dont care that they dont care what i do.

Posted via CBX
    What you don't seem to understand is that in order for the native app to continue working, it will require a major code overhaul. They are not just turning off a working app.

And no, they don't care what you do, and nor does anyone else. Do what you must. But we were talking about the business case for continued WhatsApp BB10 app development. And clearly there is none.
    12-09-17 09:43 PM
    i really dont think the task is monumental. besides, they have literal armies of coders and actual infinite dollars. it would merely be a gesture toward the million plus users who might enjoy the app and maybe even branch out into some of their other products. in many cases it is how families stay in touch. pitty they dont give a sh!t about that sort of thing.

Posted via CBX
    12-09-17 10:10 PM
    i really dont think the task is monumental. besides, they have literal armies of coders and actual infinite dollars. it would merely be a gesture toward the million plus users who might enjoy the app and maybe even branch out into some of their other products. in many cases it is how families stay in touch. pitty they dont give a sh!t about that sort of thing.

Posted via CBX
    Honestly, I'm astonished they've stayed with BB10 this long.
    12-09-17 11:01 PM

Posted via CBX
    It's not about rewriting the app but about SDK features that are missing on BB10. BlackBerry hasn't updated the BB10 SDK in years and even before then developers (including the WhatsApp dev) on this site were complaining about missing features. WhatsApp has always supported small platforms and they still actively develop their Windows Phone app, had BlackBerry continued to update their BB10 SDK I'm sure we'd see continued support for BB10 as well.

https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...mobile-devices

I've personally found the Android app better than the BB World version. It has more features and uses less memory/RAM in daily use.
    12-10-17 12:10 AM
    Honestly, I'm astonished they've stayed with BB10 this long.
    Prayer Petitions really work!
    Qorax likes this.
    12-10-17 04:04 AM
    It's not about rewriting the app but about SDK features that are missing on BB10. BlackBerry hasn't updated the BB10 SDK in years and even before then developers (including the WhatsApp dev) on this site were complaining about missing features. WhatsApp has always supported small platforms and they still actively develop their Windows Phone app, had BlackBerry continued to update their BB10 SDK I'm sure we'd see continued support for BB10 as well.

https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...mobile-devices

I've personally found the Android app better than the BB World version. It has more features and uses less memory/RAM in daily use.
    features or anti-features? the bb10 platform seems to support communicating just fine. perhaps it is a far more nefarious requirement from the 'privacy stealing corporation' that bb10 doesnt support..and "the real blackberry" stood up against. with all obstacles removed, global domination is now a given.

Posted via CBX
    12-10-17 08:33 AM
    What in the world does TCL/BlackBerry Mobile care about DropBox support on BB10?
    As more and more app developers discontinue support for the BB10 version of useful apps like Dropbox, people will change to another platform that is supported. Most likely that means Samsung or Apple.
    12-10-17 09:05 AM
    As more and more app developers discontinue support for the BB10 version of useful apps like Dropbox, people will change to another platform that is supported. Most likely that means Samsung or Apple.
    Sure. And maybe some will go to BlackBerry Android.

TCL makes nothing if they stay on BB10.
    12-10-17 09:14 AM
    Sure. And maybe some will go to BlackBerry Android.

TCL makes nothing if they stay on BB10.
    Doubtful. Will leave a bad taste. It’ll be Samsung, Apple or maybe LG.
    12-10-17 09:15 AM
    Doubtful. Will leave a bad taste. It’ll be Samsung, Apple or maybe LG.
    It leaves a bad taste that app developers are dropping support for a dead platform? And people will take it out on TCL?

We know many people on this forum alone that have bought TCL devices after losing WhatsApp, DropBox, banking apps, etc on BB10. Even one person makes TCL better off.

But back to my original question, do you think TCL should be writing apps for BB10? If so, which ones - as most are not public APIs.
    12-10-17 09:19 AM
    It leaves a bad taste that app developers are dropping support for a dead platform? And people will take it out on TCL?

We know many people on this forum alone that have bought TCL devices after losing WhatsApp, DropBox, banking apps, etc on BB10. Even one person makes TCL better off.
    Lol. You’re comparing the general phone buying public to CrackBerry loyals? LOL
    12-10-17 09:21 AM
177 12345 ...