Hello,

on my way back to Afghanistan, I decided to buy a Q10 in Dubai as I was without a phone and decided to give blackberry another chance. Phone is working rather great except that BB World doesn't work in Afghanistan, that's a real bummer (took my a while to figure out from the cryptic error message 'connection error').

I was wondering, since my phone isn't attached to any carrier, what is the deciding factor as to when I get OS updates? The phone is a SQN100-3 and currently running 10.1.0.4181 (latest version according to the software update).

Thanks
    10-20-13 02:09 AM
    I'm not too sure about Push updates to your phone, maybe directly from blackberry?
    In the meanwhile, if you want to update it, you could try the leaks on here. Mine works great!
    10-20-13 02:23 AM
    Hello,
    (...)
    I was wondering, since my phone isn't attached to any carrier, what is the deciding factor as to when I get OS updates? The phone is a SQN100-3 and currently running 10.1.0.4181 (latest version according to the software update).

Thanks
    It is the SIM card you use that determines the official OTA upgrades.
    But of course leaks work great

Take care of yourself in Afghanistan, and enjoy your BlackBerry. Perhaps you will post some pics in the photo thread, once you have a chance?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:37 AM
    Yeah I wanted to do that but seems like the only way to do it is on a windows computer (I brought a mac laptop oversea). I'll try to see if I can ask a buddy to do it on his laptop.

But since 10.2 mass release is days away, I don't mind waiting. I am just wondering who's actually pushing me the update since my phone isn't associated with any carrier.
    10-20-13 02:38 AM
    Depends on the sim card you use, even a non active starhub sim would get you 1767 right now

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    10-20-13 02:41 AM
    (...) I am just wondering who's actually pushing me the update since my phone isn't associated with any carrier.
    It is the carrier, who releases the OS, after receiving it from BlackBerry and doing internal testing, or whatever abracadabra they do.
    I am in similar situation. My phone was purchased off contract. My carrier does not have this model (100-2) so I am not getting any OTA updates. But I have two SIM cards of UK carriers, and once the update gets out from one of them, I swap the card and get the update.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:12 AM
    With Blackberry Link via PC/Wi-Fi, carrier-independent!

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    10-20-13 03:32 AM
    ok, so right now I don't have any simcard in the phone. I tried to get a Roshan one, but their data doesn't work on my Q10 for some reason. Customer support replied saying they don't support blackberries; anyway I have wifi so it's not too bad. My two gripes/concerns is that BB World doesn't work in the country so that I have no way of installing or updating apps (aside from piecemealing sideloading them) and how to update the OS.

So with no simcard, eventually the update will 'show up' on Blackberry Link and I will be able to load 10.2 without installing a leaked version?
    10-20-13 05:29 AM
    Just looked about it: Link says only (with read string) that a new software version is available for actualization/update... it does not mention which. My phone pretends it is 10.1.0.4181 but I refrained from that updating because some reported about the loss of darktheme on their Q10... I am waiting for the official OTA 10.2. MR! Could not know what Update Link would make... ah Link said, Update lasts one hour, syncs contacts and not to plug off device during process.
    Cheers

10-20-13 05:47 AM
    I would suggest loading a leak.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-1 running 10.2.0.1791
    10-20-13 05:53 AM
    Installed Blackberry Link and got a software update for 10.1.0.4181 (which I was already supposedly at.. weird). It's kinda weird because from the software update blog (BlackBerry 10 Software Updates «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog), it specificly states to look for .4537 ...

Is my only option to go with leaked OS?
    10-20-13 06:12 AM
    I suggest you try getting the official update from Singapore. I just did it this morning and it was very easy... Use Sachesi, Country: 525, Carrier: 005 and my Q10 is a SQN100-3 like the OP's. The install worked great, and I am running 10.2.

The restart after the update took a long long time, and I was a bit worried, but I stayed patient and eventually it started up and everything (including side-loaded Android apps) is working great. I have been having fun exploring the new options in the OS...
    10-20-13 06:18 AM
    I suggest you try getting the official update from Singapore. I just did it this morning and it was very easy... Use Sachesi, Country: 525, Carrier: 005 and my Q10 is a SQN100-3 like the OP's. The install worked great, and I am running 10.2.

The restart after the update took a long long time, and I was a bit worried, but I stayed patient and eventually it started up and everything (including side-loaded Android apps) is working great. I have been having fun exploring the new options in the OS...
    Which carrier? "005" I am Telekom... What about the starting Logo? (not that it bothers, but would be interesing to know)

10-20-13 06:36 AM

alright, downloading sachesi and Qt4 (will take a while) and will try that one up. Thats a good thing that it works on mac Will let you know if it works.
    10-20-13 06:58 AM
    Which carrier? "005" I am Telekom... What about the starting Logo? (not that it bothers, but would be interesing to know)

I don't see any carrier branding in the OS, so no worries about a logo. I think the "005" code is the carrier in Indonesia that is pushing the new OS. It doesn't have anything to do with your own carrier in Germany or wherever you happen to be - I am in Sweden on Tre, and it is all working fine for me.
    10-20-13 07:36 AM
    ok, ran sachesi and I did the following:

entered the data you provided
    clicked search
    clicked download all

now waiting what do I need to do next to install it?
    10-20-13 08:06 AM
    Extract both files with 7zip or winrar. Put the extracted files in one folder.

On sachesi, click the very first tab. Click join. Find that folder then sachesi will do the rest.

Follows on from there. I always run the created autoloader afterwards

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    10-20-13 08:11 AM
    Am trying your method on my mac right now ! Finger Crossed
    10-20-13 08:34 AM
    humm.. its currently downloading 146 .bar files. Do I simply go into the install tab and click install folder?
    10-20-13 08:34 AM
    Same here
    10-20-13 08:36 AM
    You'll probably be done before me since I'm downloading this from a super slow connection, so could you let me know what you did next and how it went once you're done?

Thanks!
    10-20-13 08:57 AM
    Okay, i have a problem with Sachesi, it keeps asking me for a password to connect to my BB ...
    Problem is, i don't have any setup for a password.

Ok my blackberry didn't turned off my device password properly !

Installing right now.
    Last edited by epoille; 10-20-13 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Am dumb
    10-20-13 09:02 AM
    and? I'm eagerly awaiting to know how it went for you. what did you click in sachesi to install those 146 bars? (Install folder?)
    10-20-13 09:54 AM
    Yay ! Black theme ! i welcome myself in 10.2 world
    10-20-13 09:55 AM
    Yep ! Install folder and everything's automatoc ! Be sure to have no password on your blackberry, and just in case i turn on the developper mode. and now am in 10.2.

FYI : take time to install, to reboot, but it worth it
    10-20-13 09:58 AM
30 12