Hi all,

- so i'm looking for a specific topic that my girlfriend and i discussed a couple months ago and i remember very well a certain word that was used in our conversation.
    - So i go to universal search, enter that word, and BB10 shows in its search result that it found that word in a chat between her and I on BBM. Great, exactly what I thought.
    - So i click on that result, and it just takes me to my bbm chat with her....like...the latest chat we had....not at all to where the word is...not.at.all..

HOW THE HELL IS THIS USEFUL OF A SEARCH AT ALL IF IT DOESN'T TAKE ME TO WHERE I'M LOOKING FOR?!? I COULD HAVE VERY WELL JUST OPENED UP MY BBM CHAT WITH HER AND ENDED UP IN THE SAME USELESS PLACE WITHOUT USING THE SEARCH AT ALL

Pardon my frustration.... I apologize...

Am i missing something? or is this just a really ridiculously unfinished feature? this is like.......the most obvious thing that should have been focused on in BB10. Like...the most obvious. This worked perfectly well in BBOS7 (not to mention the fact that BBM chat history on BBOS7 was saved and compartmentalized by days and months--such genius of an implementation that i wish would have passed through to BB10.)

if there's something i'm just not doing right at all and missed the bus on then please blast me for it (while educating me on it)

Thank you
    05-29-13 02:47 PM
    Just last night I was trying to do the same thing... yes it should be fixed..

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 05:01 PM
    You're not alone! Also with text messages when I scroll to earlier messages and once I leave to the Hub it will go back down to the most recent messages.
    05-29-13 05:29 PM
    I think if you give it a short time on a long chat, it works.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:20 PM
    One app returned a bad index in a search result.

Yes, annoying. But not the end of the world.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:25 PM
    Hi all,

- so i'm looking for a specific topic that my girlfriend and i discussed a couple months ago and i remember very well a certain word that was used in our conversation.
    - So i go to universal search, enter that word, and BB10 shows in its search result that it found that word in a chat between her and I on BBM. Great, exactly what I thought.
    - So i click on that result, and it just takes me to my bbm chat with her....like...the latest chat we had....not at all to where the word is...not.at.all..

HOW THE HELL IS THIS USEFUL OF A SEARCH AT ALL IF IT DOESN'T TAKE ME TO WHERE I'M LOOKING FOR?!? I COULD HAVE VERY WELL JUST OPENED UP MY BBM CHAT WITH HER AND ENDED UP IN THE SAME USELESS PLACE WITHOUT USING THE SEARCH AT ALL

Pardon my frustration.... I apologize...

Am i missing something? or is this just a really ridiculously unfinished feature? this is like.......the most obvious thing that should have been focused on in BB10. Like...the most obvious. This worked perfectly well in BBOS7 (not to mention the fact that BBM chat history on BBOS7 was saved and compartmentalized by days and months--such genius of an implementation that i wish would have passed through to BB10.)

if there's something i'm just not doing right at all and missed the bus on then please blast me for it (while educating me on it)

Thank you
    BlackBerry brings in a fresh pod of interns for the development team every quarter to guarantee our frustration with the usability of BlackBerry OS 10. Then the apologists on this forum claim we should be patient with the fledgling operating system.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    05-30-13 08:47 AM
    Do you have save chat history turned on????

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 09:00 AM
    Is that a fact kill9 of just your assumption?

(it would explain a few things! )

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 09:47 AM
    Do you have save chat history turned on????

Posted via CB10
    of course i do. i wouldn't hope BBM would find a chat that i never saved
    05-30-13 10:11 AM
    This os is in it's infancy, and with time I'm sure all these first world problems will be solved. There's a few memory apps in blackberry world that might help you avoid this problem.

Posted via CB10
    Douken likes this.
    05-30-13 09:50 PM
    This os is in it's infancy, and with time I'm sure all these first world problems will be solved. There's a few memory apps in blackberry world that might help you avoid this problem.

Posted via CB10
    This is a reason to be patient but it is not an excuse for BlackBerry.
    The more someone has to say this, the more it highlights how BlackBerry have released a platform that is not providing competition to the big two

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 06:17 AM
    I borrowed a colleagues Galaxy Note 2 and used universal search to find a word in a BBM chat I had 18 days ago. Oddly, it didn't find the word at all. Clearly, the search in Android was written by an intern.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    05-31-13 07:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    infancy is irrelevant. I'm talking about the basic process of thought that was applied when the dev team sat down to create and imagine this feature and it's uses.

As far as I'm concerned this is how it went down at Blackberry HQ:

Blackberry Dev Team Manager: Okay team, i want to see what you've done with our famous Universal Search Feature
    Team Member #1: oh you're in for a surprise boss! check it out. Since we know Blackberry users love their BBM we wanted to make sure that Univeral Search would be able to look through all the pages and pages of chat history that BB users love to create in their hyperconnected world. So let's say that we search for the word 'coffee' which was talked about 2 months ago. Well here it is, Univeral Search found it! neat eh?
    Blackberry Dev Team Manager: excellent work junior, now i assume like a normal person with a normal amount of brain cells that when i click on this search result, it's going to take me exactly where that word appears in the chat right? therefore proving the whole purpose and usefuless of creating a universal search feature to begin with, right?
    Team Member #1:sir....we can't give away EVERYTHING from the start....
    Blackberry Dev Team Manager: you're right junior, you know what, keep this up and you may see a promotion in your future

then they both get off their giraffe's at the zoo and security walks them off
    emtunc likes this.
    05-31-13 01:48 PM
    Maybe you should try another phone with adequate universal search, hopefully this will make you a happy camper.

Posted via CB10
    d3rd likes this.
    05-31-13 09:46 PM
    Maybe you should try another phone with adequate universal search, hopefully this will make you a happy camper.

Posted via CB10
    You seem to not get the context of my argument. I love blackberry and want to see them succeed. I am not hating. I am just--rightfully--frustrated with the lack of attention to detail for a feature they they chose to implement and release to the public. If it wasn't finished yet, then don't include BBM into the universal search feature until it's ready.

There are a whole bunch of these little features that they decided to release to the public unfinished and unpolished. More so, it's because I know BlackBerry is so capable, that it is a bit disheartening to see that they did it anyway. It makes me wonder what are they trying to tell us? These very little things speak very loudly to how serious BlackBerry is taking their OS with so much potential. I see so much promise but if you're going to release a feature, make sure it works and that it's polished. Otherwise, don't, and release it later when it is ready.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure ios,android and windows released os's that weren't polished. Having waited for bb10 for donkey years, I'm satisfied with what they've done. There are shortcomings, but overall experience has been satisfying.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:44 PM
    Universal search? Very happy with what's there. Especially being able to Invoke apps and use Type-n-go.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:48 PM
    Wow...I used to be blown away happy with this BlackBerry Z10 and even the universal search, but thanks to some of you prior BlackBerry OS users, I now see how inferior this new platform is. Great job...Thanks for enlightening me
    Perhaps BlackBerry should have waited another year and BTW completely bankrupt now, just so your search would also move to the exact point in your chat.
    What they released for V1 of a complete re-write of a new OS does the job very well and in terms of search, on par with or better than anything else out there.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure ios,android and windows released os's that weren't polished. Having waited for bb10 for donkey years, I'm satisfied with what they've done. There are shortcomings, but overall experience has been satisfying.

Posted via CB10

It doesn't matter what they did, it matters what they are like now.
    BlackBerry 10 is not competing against android or iOS 4 years ago, it is competing against them today.
    So it needs to measure up against them today

Posted via CB10
    Rayysai likes this.
    06-01-13 04:21 AM
    Is that a fact kill9 of just your assumption?

(it would explain a few things! )

Posted via CB10
    I have no first-hand knowledge. An educated assessment of the situation is my only defence.
    06-01-13 02:30 PM
    If it wasn't finished yet, then don't include BBM into the universal search feature until it's ready.
    What an difficult bunch some people are.

It's just a bug. And a very minor one IMO. Get over it, they will fix it.

And if you really care, open it as an issue on
    http://supporforums.bkackberry.com
    or report it to their bug report as an issue.

But yes, it's a bug. When they tested it on an internal build it was probably working great. And some other patch broke it without them noticing it. It happens, report it, and get over it...

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    06-01-13 05:29 PM
    It doesn't matter what they did, it matters what they are like now.
    BlackBerry 10 is not competing against android or iOS 4 years ago, it is competing against them today.
    So it needs to measure up against them today

Posted via CB10
    So are you saying bb10 doesn't compete because of universal search?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 12:25 AM
    So are you saying bb10 doesn't compete because of universal search?

Posted via CB10
    No I'm saying that the fact we keep hearing the same excuse that it's a new build is the reason why it doesn't compete

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 06:46 AM