BlackBerry adds back the ability to File Sent Messages.

This was something unforseeable, unpredictable, and absolutely unexpected. This has been a simple feature of the BlackBerry OS going back as far as I can remember.

Not only can every email client known to man do this feature, but every MOBILE email client has this feature.

I file roughly 20-30 project update inquires a day, and have been doing so on my iOS and Desktop mail programs, due to the fact that my RIM case manager handling my many issues, seemed to intimate that the feature would come back in future builds.

Tonight, she said this is not a feature being discussed for the BlackBerry 10 OS at this time.

Now comes the woe is me part: I switched carriers for this device (albeit, waiting patiently, but 6 months was enough), so I no longer have the ability to just use one of my old phones.

On top of that, I'm past the 30 day trial period (was on vacay for 2 of those weeks, and filing sent messages never came up), so I CANNOT return the device. I am also on T-Mobile "leasing" the device and pay $25/month until I hit the full $600 for it (whatever their Jump program is).

So now, I'm left with a Q10 I refuse to use, and will have to buy a 9900 on eBay or Amazon for $150 - $200+ because RIM forgot that they're making a business device.

I cannot begin to express my dissapointment, frustration, and overall abandoned feeling I'm getting from RIM.

What a joke Thorsten, what a mother fu*&\?ng joke.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    09-20-13 01:13 AM
    Deja Vu. Maybe you should head back to a 9900.
    Ecm likes this.
    09-20-13 01:21 AM
    Deja Vu. Maybe you should head back to a 9900.
    Yep. It was being "worked on" back then, but tonight, Jacenta @ Tier 2 support gave me the ultimatium.

This isn't right. At all.

**Actually, f that Bla1ze...why should I have to switch back to an old device when BlackBerry is the one that made the mistake and removed a feature every other platform can do.

09-20-13 01:23 AM
    I'm not sure what you are fretting over. All of your sent messages stay in the sent folder. What exactly are you trying to do and why?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 02:01 AM
    I'm not sure what you are fretting over. All of your sent messages stay in the sent folder. What exactly are you trying to do and why?

Posted via CB10
    Do you understand the concept of folders?

09-20-13 02:03 AM
    Yep. It was being "worked on" back then, but tonight, Jacenta @ Tier 2 support gave me the ultimatium.

This isn't right. At all.

**Actually, f that Bla1ze...why should I have to switch back to an old device when BlackBerry is the one that made the mistake and removed a feature every other platform can do.

Who said it was a mistake, you? I still don't understand the NEED to file SENT emails??

Microsoft for Exchange Mailbox size limits suggests for troubleshooting to delete unwanted emails, should there be no allowance to increase limits. Guess where the first places to suggest is?

Deleted Items,
    Non-Repeating Calendar Entries, especially those with attachments,
    Sent Items,
    Etc.

Just how large is your mailbox thresholds are? Also a true "filing" is moving the emails off the server as in PST/Archive. No mobile email client that I know of has ever been able to do this and cleanly remove off an exchange server, not entirely on its own: not on S60, WINCE - PPC-PE/Smartphone Edition, UIQ, PalmOS (original or the late fated one).

So what is the real NEED to file your SENT items?
    - the need to prove you've responded?
    (sales, contractual obligations?)
    ^ for sales a good DRM solution and app should be doing this,such as sales force.

This mist be the third time in all of your threads since April you've complained about this. You're not new to the threads and you strike me as knowledgeable and resourceful, yet you didn't research this function or feature before getting into a contractual agreement??

Honestly I'm very curious the real business need to file sent items, to be honest we all should be moving away from emails as a filing cabinet of sorts; there is a reason SharePoint was created, though I doubt many business fully enforce it's capabilities.

PD: have read through this thread yet as I'm mobile. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 03:10 AM
    Do you understand the concept of folders?

He may not but I do. I've seen countless times so many sub folders and a tree structure that is seemingly endless: Legal, Investor Relations, and HR tend to do this the latter filing emails per person.

There is a crushing need to "organize" emails, like threads (a la GMail) into categories, topics, people, etc. I'm not sure if corporate Archiving Teams started this trend (I have to go back to my notes from the gold company I worked at), or if it was auditing (i.ternal and especially external auditors) that enforced this ideal. Either way I always had a chuckle when users complained (Outlook users) that a filed email was missing. When I told them to search for it, claiming they did and asking to be shown the habit of going into each specific folder where the filed email should be, and still not finding it, yet going to the built in search (since all items where previously indexed) and finding it in less time than it took the user to traverse through multiple folders and sub folders and seeing the elation of new power come to their minds.

So just thinking where a refined search or remote search from BB10 device to the server In sent items does not suffice the end goal for the reason of filing sent items in the first place? This is probably why I'm perplexed at your need to file sent items, what is the end goal or end reason to accomplish this. Pretend all readers have no dan clue about folders or your area of expertise or assume this is something completely new in the industry. Yes it'll take more time for you to explain and forcing you to do it in depth but if we fully understand it, maybe we can show you a working alternative OR better still, for you, create alliances to your cause and engage BlackBerry to enable thi feature you've previously enjoyed on legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    BravoZuluDelta and Ecm like this.
    09-20-13 03:31 AM
    I haven't used a single email folder for the past three years. It's all done through search.

Makes it much easier when I have to clean out my mailbox - just sort Inbox and Sent Items by message size, delete the largest non-essential attachments. Instead of going through each and every folder hunting for large messages.

He may not but I do. I've seen countless times so many sub folders and a tree structure that is seemingly endless: Legal, Investor Relations, and HR tend to do this the latter filing emails per person.

There is a crushing need to "organize" emails, like threads (a la GMail) into categories, topics, people, etc. I'm not sure if corporate Archiving Teams started this trend (I have to go back to my notes from the gold company I worked at), or if it was auditing (i.ternal and especially external auditors) that enforced this ideal. Either way I always had a chuckle when users complained (Outlook users) that a filed email was missing. When I told them to search for it, claiming they did and asking to be shown the habit of going into each specific folder where the filed email should be, and still not finding it, yet going to the built in search (since all items where previously indexed) and finding it in less time than it took the user to traverse through multiple folders and sub folders and seeing the elation of new power come to their minds.

So just thinking where a refined search or remote search from BB10 device to the server In sent items does not suffice the end goal for the reason of filing sent items in the first place? This is probably why I'm perplexed at your need to file sent items, what is the end goal or end reason to accomplish this. Pretend all readers have no dan clue about folders or your area of expertise or assume this is something completely new in the industry. Yes it'll take more time for you to explain and forcing you to do it in depth but if we fully understand it, maybe we can show you a working alternative OR better still, for you, create alliances to your cause and engage BlackBerry to enable thi feature you've previously enjoyed on legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 07:11 AM
    As a workaround: why not bcc yourself in these update-requests and then file the received bcc instead? That'll save you the cost of a new old phone.
    09-20-13 07:37 AM
    In regards to doing the research of this function, how in the world could I have anticipated RIM leaving this feature out? It has existed for years in BB devices, not to mention their competitors. How hard is it to add that functionality to the damn code?

In regards to the REAL business need to file sent item, I'll try and explain as simply as possible. With what I do for a living, I am constantly inquiring about Intellectual Property, Books, Manuscripts, Articles, etc., etc, etc., A lot of these inquires are cold "calls", meaning I do not know the recipient, but have their contact information from the RightsCenter database. Sometimes these cold emails can get lost in the ether of the receiver, so every week, I go through my various "Inquiries" folder, and follow up. With the 20-30 of these I do a day, I can't just remember off the top of my head the name of a Manuscript, or obscure Anime property, especially when I run into things like "Untitled Manuscript 2014 from 'X' Author". I don't understand the bashing because I use folders and like them synced across my devices. Something I have been doing since 2008 with Blackberry. Do you understand the "need" now?

Who said it was a mistake, you? I still don't understand the NEED to file SENT emails??

Microsoft for Exchange Mailbox size limits suggests for troubleshooting to delete unwanted emails, should there be no allowance to increase limits. Guess where the first places to suggest is?

Deleted Items,
    Non-Repeating Calendar Entries, especially those with attachments,
    Sent Items,
    Etc.

Just how large is your mailbox thresholds are? Also a true "filing" is moving the emails off the server as in PST/Archive. No mobile email client that I know of has ever been able to do this and cleanly remove off an exchange server, not entirely on its own: not on S60, WINCE - PPC-PE/Smartphone Edition, UIQ, PalmOS (original or the late fated one).

So what is the real NEED to file your SENT items?
    - the need to prove you've responded?
    (sales, contractual obligations?)
    ^ for sales a good DRM solution and app should be doing this,such as sales force.

This mist be the third time in all of your threads since April you've complained about this. You're not new to the threads and you strike me as knowledgeable and resourceful, yet you didn't research this function or feature before getting into a contractual agreement??

Honestly I'm very curious the real business need to file sent items, to be honest we all should be moving away from emails as a filing cabinet of sorts; there is a reason SharePoint was created, though I doubt many business fully enforce it's capabilities.

PD: have read through this thread yet as I'm mobile. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 11:39 AM
    Certain email features are important to certain people. Clearly filing sent messages is important to the OP. All these responses as to why this is important to him are meaningless. It is important to him, and BB is not implementing it. Personally, I find it sadly unsurprising that BB did/is not implementing this feature; they have really dropped the ball on so many fronts on this platform, not single failure comes as a surprise to me anymore.

That said, the feature I need most, the ability to store, organize and reattach files is something BB does better than any other platform, and so this + the keyboard, make my Q10 invaluable.
    Wayne_Enterprises and madx80h like this.
    09-20-13 12:14 PM
    As a workaround: why not bcc yourself in these update-requests and then file the received bcc instead? That'll save you the cost of a new old phone.
    This is a good "solution" if the OP likes his phone and wants to stick with BB10 (or doesn't want to spend $ on a new one).
    09-20-13 12:15 PM
    Just because someone did things a certain way on their previous device does not necessarily mean they should continue to do things that way on their new device. We ask the purpose to see if there is a better method to match the new paradigm. The messages don't disappear from the sent items folder unless his company has some kind of archive process active. If they do, make the case as to why his messages should not be archived. If he is (was) copying enterprise messages on to his phone he may well be in violation of legal and/or security policy.
    09-20-13 12:35 PM
    I'm sorry, are you saying I shouldn't be able to file email, but Mac Mail, Outlook, Android, iOS, and Windows Mobile should? I should also add, I'm NOT filing to a personal folder, I'm filing WITHIN my corporate exchange account. No reason to get high and might with talk of violations of legal and/or security policy....

Just because someone did things a certain way on their previous device does not necessarily mean they should continue to do things that way on their new device. We ask the purpose to see if there is a better method to match the new paradigm. The messages don't disappear from the sent items folder unless his company has some kind of archive process active. If they do, make the case as to why his messages should not be archived. If he is (was) copying enterprise messages on to his phone he may well be in violation of legal and/or security policy.
    09-20-13 12:52 PM
    I'm sorry, are you saying I shouldn't be able to file email, but Mac Mail, Outlook, Android, iOS, and Windows Mobile, and BBOS should?
    Your reasons for filing sent messages make some sense. Thanks for providing the reasoning, because I, too, could not see why anyone would want to do that. Also, questioning why BB10 is missing this and so many simple but extremely useful productivity features is legitimate. BBOS is awesome for productivity and business. Let's hope BB10 catches up.

/s/ P.P. Bone

PS -- I think the poster who mentioned the legal reasons was just pointing out that there may be a good reason someone would prefer to file; it might be against company policy to use the bcc workaround.
    09-20-13 01:48 PM